RPXP: 898
Demandredd Demandredd Demandredd Demandredd Demandredd Demandredd Demandredd
The Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga

Game NameThe Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeAn exploration of Slavic folklore and the legend of Baba Yaga
FlavourInvestigation and Exploration focussed game with some horror elements
Plot Summary

When parents tell their wayward children to go to sleep at night, they tell them that if they do not, and if they misbehave, that Baba Yaga will steal them away at night and eat them for breakfast.

The various legends of Baba Yaga say many, many things. That she is an ogress, or even just a wizened old crone. That she is an old woman who lives in the forest in a rickety old hut that stands on two bird legs that carry her from place to place wherever and whenever she desires to travel. They say that she kidnaps unwitting villagers, usually children, to cook them and eat them. Some even say that she is nothing but a misunderstood wise woman living in the woods to help lost travellers on their way.

Baba Yaga is also said to be the guardian of the fountains of the waters of life, and she dwells within her hut with two identical twin sisters. Her hut is said to be surrounded by a fence topped with the skulls of her victims. Legends also state that Baba Yaga flies through the air in an iron kettle, or even in a mortar that she drives with a pestle, and that wherever she goes storms are created in her wake.

It is said that Baba Yaga travels with the nebulous entity known as Death itself, and that wherever they travel they devour all the souls of the unlucky that lie within their path.

The legends say many things about Baba Yaga, but they are not real.....are they?

~~~

The small village of Peldan's Helm is not very notable in the grand scheme of Realmsian history. A footnote in the Dalelands, its history has generally been one of peace and prosperity amidst the idyllic farmlands of Mistledale. The locals of Peldan's Helm generally tend to keep to themselves and ask that visitor's to their peaceful village do the same.

Until recently.

It began with a series of strange phenomena that the local farmsmen could not explain. Crops beginning to wither and die overnight with no explanation. Strange apparitions were seen on the edges of the great forest of Cormanthor, ghostly horsemen that circled the village yet disappeared into thin air when they were approached.

And then one day, in the afternoon, the sun began to move backwards in the sky, moving back to morning and dawn from where it should have been approaching evening.

These strange occurrences coincided with the appearance of a mysterious hut in the woods, a hut that had not been there previously, although none dared approach the hut.

It was just after that the villagers started disappearing.

You are experienced adventurers who have arrived to the sleepy village of Peldan's Helm on the road to your next adventure. The village was never intended to be anything but a stopping point and a place to rest overnight. Yet what you found was a troubled village on the edge of mass hysteria, concerned and troubled by not only the mysterious happenings but the disappearance of friends and family.

And then, overnight, your companion also vanishes.

When morning comes and brings with it the loss of one of your own, you resolve to find your missing friend.

All roads lead to the strange and mysterious hut that has appeared in the forest.....

Game and Application InformationHello all, I would like to present you all with a game for your perusal, one heavily influenced by Slavic folklore.

As hinted at in the description above, you will be entering the Hut of Baba Yaga in search of a missing friend and companion who has disappeared overnight. I have provided a brief overview of the companion that you will be searching for in this adventure.

Here are the specifics in terms of game and character application details:-

Number of Players: 4
Post Rate: 1-2 a week.
Starting Level: 5
Acceptable Sources: PHB, Sword Coast Adventurers Guide, Xanathar's Guide to Everything
Races and Classes: Anything in the above sources
Stats: Choice of Point Buy OR Dice
Starting Equipment and Gold: 500gp plus 1d10x25gp, normal starting equipment, one uncommon magical item.
Closing Date: Applications will be selected the week commencing the 12th Jul.

The application process will be a fairly standard one, please post your applications with the details noted below.

One thing to bear in mind is that the hook of this game is to search for your missing companion, I would like you to add in to the application what your character's connection to and opinion of Ilianya is.

Name:
Race:
Class:
Personality Traits:
Alignment:
Bond:
Ideal:
Flaw:
Description: A short description of your character.
Personality: A paragraph or so describing your character's personality
Backstory: Self-explanatory, what is your character's backstory?

Finally, provide me with a small roleplay sample from that character's perspective.

Last edited by Demandredd; Jun 6th, 2021 at 06:01 AM.
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 10:17 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5983
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Application
right-aligned image

NORWOOD BLUEBELL
Hexblade Warlock

Race: Human
Alignment: Neutral Good
Background: Folk Hero

Description: At 5' 7", Norwood is not particularly tall. He is also not exceptionally muscular in spite of his old profession as a humble farmer, though he has the unmistakably rough hands of a worker. He has bright blue eyes, untidy brown hair kept in a ponytail, and a boyishly handsome face that lends well to his natural, rustic charm. His armor is slightly slapdash, with rather ordinary travel leathers visible beneath unpolished pieces of metal. Perhaps one of the more interesting features of his appearance is his weapon of choice; a rather ordinary hoe. Norwood had never been a man of martial prowess before his adventuring days; he was simply a man defending his land with the tools he had at his disposal, and he keeps his old hoe as a reminder of his roots. Luckily, the farmer's patron saw fit to even the odds a bit, and as his pact weapon, Norwood's hoe takes on a slightly altered form, something more akin to a halberd. It's a bizarre, eerie polearm that has continued to serve the young man well in its new form.

Personality: Norwood is so down to earth that he makes ants seem egotistical. Those who first meet Norwood might think him incredibly serious because of his often reserved demeanor, but the reality is that he is typically amongst the least worldly folk in most rooms, and he prefers to listen to others before he opens his mouth. However, behind the somewhat shy exterior lies a gentle, dutiful, and good-natured soul. Norwood has never forgotten his humble roots, and he gives freely of his skills to help those who have helped him (and those who are simply unable to help themselves.)

Backstory:

Roleplay Sample: WIP

Last edited by Touketsu; Jun 7th, 2021 at 10:28 AM.
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 01:44 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1237
Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod
Application=Complete
right-aligned image

Name: Auberon Leafweave
Race: Wood Elf
Class: Druid - Land (Grass)
Background: Hermit

Trait 1- I often get lost in my own thoughts and contemplation, becoming oblivious to my surroundings.

Trait 2 - There is a solution to every problem, we just need to look for it.

Idea - Greater Good. My gifts are meant to be shared with all, not used for my own benefit. (Good)

Bond - I'm still seeking the enlightenment I pursued in my seclusion, and it still eludes me.

Flaw - I'd risk too much to uncover a lost bit of knowledge.

Back story:
A warrior veteran turned retiree after only a short career in the great elf legion. It was with heavy heart he dismissed himself and left to find peace within and turned to a life of solitude. There he found his connection with the wild and harnessed it.

He then lived in seclusion for many years. On an acerage deep within the woods, out of sight he passed the time by. There he spent his life offering kinship to other travelling men of the woods. He offered aid and medical attention to those who needed it, Both humanoid and beast alike. He traded and bartered from time to time when travellers crossed his path. More so though he became self dependant and acquired a high skill of survivability. Here he harvests crops, hunts to better manage conservation in his region, fishes from the local water sheds and even cares for a host of bees to produce himself honey.

It is here in isolation though where duty called his name again. Surrounding villages and communities had run into strife and bad luck, being threatened by all types of vile creatures and plagues. With his powers grand, Auberon has taken on the mantle of guardian and protector, and by doing so has ascended to powers he never thought possible.

Once the local troubles had been sorted out properly, Auberon decided taking his skill set on the road was the only conceivable option if he wanted to continually propel himself to greatness and to aid others while doing so. He has now joined a band of adventurers who all seem to share in one of his ideals or another.

Appearance:
Braided and loose brown hair combined, left messy and long. His face brandishes the same type of goatie.
He has Hazel eyes which almost seem to swirl with a dull shade of yellow. He is slender, but with broad supportive shoulders.
He dons bark and hide armor, fastenned by more of the same material with additions of carapace shell work throughout. He walks with an impeccably straight staff of magnificent craftsmanship in one hand and in the other a Carved trunk of a shield resting on his fore arm. A true manifestation of one with nature.

Personality:
Auberon is very positive but in a calm, quiet and jovial way. He is humble and reassuring to others, offering support, aid, and knowledge. He is a spiritual and soulful being, rooted deeply to the nature around him.
He knows himself to be a protector and to use his abilities for good as they have manifested to great strength within him. He appreciates and respects those powers, often murmuring thanks in quiet prayers.
You can often find him side tracked, off path and communicating with creatures, insects and plants.

RPSweat beaded off the elf’s face, falling to the the forest floor with a silent echo. He stops, kneeling on the ground after the recent exchange of blows.

“You are formidable...” he says with a sign of exasperated air, wiping the back of his hand across his forhead.

“But I am too”

A beam of white light then descends from the sky, rattling the earth beneath their feat. The black and damp bipedal wolf engulfed.

And just like that, as quick as the struggle for life began, it was over. A contest of contrast come to conclusion. One abomination of darkness, were beast, lifeless and shattered. The other, a transformation master and Druidic elf, standing resolute over his conquest.

“Darkness will never hold domain in my forest, beast. Tell the demons of hell to stay there!”

Last edited by Jrod; Jun 17th, 2021 at 01:33 AM.
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 02:30 PM
The Buddha Himself

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2255
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
void

Check out my podcast with my VA buddies; Rejected Party Members

Last edited by Krow Nest; Jun 7th, 2021 at 01:46 PM.
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 05:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3682
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Name: Zenuvir Kuoneiros
Race: Wood Elf
Class: Ranger (Archtype: Monster Slayer)
Alignment: NG
Background: Outlander: Feature: Wanderer
Personality Traits: I watch over my friends as if they were a litter of newborn pups.
Ideals: Nature: The natural world is more important than all the constructs of civilization.
Bonds: An injury to the unspoiled wilderness of my home is an injury to me.
Flaws: I am slow to trust members of other races, tribes and societies.
Description: He stands 6 feet tall, slender, with an athletic build. Green eyes, with dark copper colored like hair. His skin fully tanned with copper hue. Armed with two swords and a bow, he is dressed in leaf like leather armor, wearing green and brown attire. While he may look out of place in a big city, he instantly becomes as one with the forest. During downtime, he sits back, clearly enjoys nature as he looks out across the land.
right-aligned image

Personality: He’s pretty much a typical wood elf, he cares about the land, views his people as true elves over the other elves who seem to have gotten away from nature, who’s buildings begin to resemble humans. While he is slow to trust, he is a devoted and trusted friend and comrade that can be counted on. Easy going and nay seem aloof at times as with most elves since they have a long lifespan, but once he has a task, he becomes clearly focus. While he can fight with swords fairly well, the bow is his favorite weapon. Whatever group he is with, he treats them as if he were their protector. While he has no qualms venturing in a city, his comrades would clearly see he is not only out of place, but he seems lost and close to being mute. Once in the outdoors away from all the buildings, especially in a forest, he looks renewed full of life. He is at one with the forest.

Backstory: Born and raised in the High Forest, he, like other elves there were protectors of the forest. There was a barbarian tribe there, but they were allies. They worshiped a great tree there, as did the elves. Growing up, he learned the skills needed to survive and learned to use a bow at a young age. As he gotten older, he scouted out on his own as well as hunted. He was happy.

Then goblins came, and then orcs. The elves and the human barbarians fought together. As a ranger, they became his number one enemies. Then the monsters came, and elves and humans fought side by side once again. Word from other areas were having the same problems. Zen had lost friends and a cousin. Something had to be done.

When the time came for him to choose the type of ranger he would be, he chose to be a Monster Slayer. He left the forest with a friend who chose the same path as he. They went out adventuring, tracking down monsters and ridding them from the land. They came across another elf, named Ilianya. With her flaming red hair and milky skin, it was obvious she was a high elf. They became friends. Then a couple of fellow non elf adventures. They were a good team, each knew their own part. During the down time, Iliany seems sort of alone, although she perked up around other elves. Zen later found out her story.

The group traveled down to Mistledale of the Dalelands, located with the forest of Cormanthor. Zen thought it was nice forest, but too much grassland. It was then Ilianya made it known that she wanted to go back to her homeland. Zen promised her that he would go with her.

The group came upon a small village that was called The Helm, sometimes called Peldan's Helm. They heard there was trouble there, but after traveling for days, part of the group didn’t want to go around, they wanted to at least spend a night there, on a soft and warm bath. Although Zen had no qualms about sleeping outdoors, he had to admit, it be nice to have a home cooked meal. Besides, they could handle any danger that was there. Zen didn’t even mind since it was just a small village, not a city.
During their time there, they found out what was going on and why the people were tensed with a worry looks on their faces. During dinner that night, the group were deciding whether to stay and help or move on. After all they been through, they decided they would stay and see what they can do.
The next morning, they found even a better reason to help. Ilianya had disappeared just like the locals had described that happened to others in town.

Roleplay sample: Zenuvir pound his fist on the table. He doesn’t show his anger too often, this is one of the few times. “Dammit, we should have taken this more seriously. Where do we start? The forest?”

Auberon nodded. “Be the best place to start from what we heard, maybe the forest can tell me what’s going on.”

Norwood looked at his two wood elven companions and leaned back into his chair. “I have to agree, everything points to the forest. Something is out there alright. Maybe with my skills, I can help as well.” He turned to Auberon with admiration. “I’ve been a bit of jealous of you, my friend. The way you can communicate with nature and the creatures is amazing. I know you two aren’t exactly fond of sorceress magic, but it does help, as you have already noticed.”

Zen sighed with a grin. “Well, we prefer the natural way. True, druids have magic as well, but they commune through nature. Either way, I have a feeling that we’ll need all the resources we got for this one. The people here are too scared to help, so it’s up to us. I never left someone behind, and I won’t start now. Ilianya deserves that. If she is still alive, she will be expecting us to go get her.”

Last edited by Seekr34; Jun 7th, 2021 at 02:18 AM.
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 11:08 PM
Is it nap time yet?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5093
Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters
There is a very good chance I will throw my hat into the ring. With over a month until applications are chosen, I am not completely sold though.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 02:19 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3682
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
App is done, used a couple of characters from other players. Hope they don't mind, saved time to make up names and such.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 03:00 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Monsters View Post
There is a very good chance I will throw my hat into the ring. With over a month until applications are chosen, I am not completely sold though.
Hi, there is a reason for this. I’m away for holiday the week of 5th July with no internet access, so there is absolutely no point in ending this prior to the date I’ve put in here.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 10:06 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7687
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Application
right-aligned image
right-aligned image

Merwin Bickerstaff
Wizard (Conjurer)

Race: Gnome (Forest)
Alignment: Neutral Good
Background: Sage

Description: Merwin is on the smaller side of his race standing three foot and two inches tall, and weighing in at a whopping 36 pounds. His skin is fair in complexion and his hair is a light brown in color. He has brilliant green eyes which seem to sparkle like emeralds in the right lighting. He typically wears simple wizard robes of dull beige in coloration except for the hem of the robes which are covered in golden runes. His ensemble is completed with the typical wizard's pointed hat atop his seemingly unkempt hair. Unlike his hair his beard appears to be immaculately trimmed into a point.

Personality: Merwin is an outgoing and friendly gnome, who tends to speak quickly but concisely. Always willing to volunteer his opinion or wisdom to any conversation even when not asked. His demeanor is one of joyful exuberance seeming to take some sort of joy in everything he does and always finding the silver lining even in bad situations. He is an avid reader and can often be found with his large nose buried in a book during his downtime, and loves to tell people about his vast knowledge from all the books he has read in his time from the greatest libraries.

Backstory:

Roleplay Sample:

Last edited by JaredSyn; Jun 16th, 2021 at 01:24 PM.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 10:16 AM
Is it nap time yet?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5093
Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demandredd View Post
Hi, there is a reason for this. I’m away for holiday the week of 5th July with no internet access, so there is absolutely no point in ending this prior to the date I’ve put in here.
ah, that makes sense. Seemed like a bit of a long period; but with RL stuff it kind of makes a lot of sense! I'm kicking an idea around; I'll see what I come up with.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 10:39 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5983
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekr34 View Post
App is done, used a couple of characters from other players. Hope they don't mind, saved time to make up names and such.
Works for me! Norwood is more than happy to help complete an application, lol.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 01:20 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5012
anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac
I knew it was a bad idea to give Ilianya her own room, just because she's the only girl in the party!

Anyway, I wanted to ask how you do experience, whether it's by milestone, or by defeating monsters, or some other means. How far you do you expect the campaign to go, in terms of character level?
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 01:42 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7687
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
I do have a request for Merwyn could he have met a psuedodragon during his travels and it become his familiar it goes with the image and I like the rp concept of it as well?
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 02:01 PM
Let the Wookie Win

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1221
chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m
Application-WIP
right-aligned image

NAME: Ozrav Andakas

RACE: Tiefling (Feral)

CLASS: Rogue-1/Wizard-4 (Divination)

BACKGROUND: WIP

TRAITS: WIP

IDEALS: WIP

BONDS: WIP

FLAWS: WIP

DESCRIPTION: WIP

PERSONALITY: WIP

BACKSTORY:

NARRATIVE:

Last edited by chri2m; Jun 7th, 2021 at 02:04 PM.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 03:03 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamiac View Post
Anyway, I wanted to ask how you do experience, whether it's by milestone, or by defeating monsters, or some other means. How far you do you expect the campaign to go, in terms of character level?
XP will be by milestone. In terms of how far it will go, that is entirely dependent on the players and what they are looking for. The game itself will have certain objectives or break points, and at the point they are reached the choice will be on them as to whether to call it done or progress deeper into the proverbial rabbit hole.

Ultimately there is enough material here to see you up to between 10-15th level, whether you choose to get that far is totally up to you.

@JaredSyn, I am more than ok with you bringing a pseudodragon into it.