RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 6th, 2021, 01:40 PM
The Chaotic Swirl

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3350
Solomon777 Solomon777 Solomon777 Solomon777 Solomon777 Solomon777 Solomon777 Solomon777 Solomon777 Solomon777 Solomon777
Pangaea 5050

Game NamePangaea 5050
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeMight and magic in a prehistoric setting
Flavour10,000 BC, Beastmaster/Conan, Clash of the Titans, Xena/Hercules
Plot SummaryWARNING: I am looking for play-testers, about 3, to attempt a developing game system for quick, story-based, non-mechanic heavy PbP and interactive fiction gaming.

I apologize for areas in this system that are lacking details; most of these occurrences are on purpose.

Background: Along the temperate western coast of Pangaea, across the Fields of Pendragon, their exists a village of reed houses sounding a central communal building of mortar and stone. The entire village itself is surrounding by a wall of timbers and iron. This village, aptly named Pendragon, is the home to less than one-hundred people of the hominid race, the most recent additions to the mystic continent of Pangaea. The hominid race are an offshoot of the extinct Atlantean race who colonized Pangaea thousands of years ago.

A woman runs through the village in a frantic search, headed toward the central building, refereed to as the common-house. She hurries past a few of the males gathered out pushing through the entry finding the village sovereign, Gwen, sitting with others who she ignores.

The older, silver-haired woman garbed in leather and furs, dyed with streaks of green, regards the new guest, "Teel?" Seeing the panicked look on Teel's face, "What is it child?"

Teel gathers her breath, "Lady Gwen ... bear-dogs ... at least one, possibly two, in the northern fields."

Gwen looked down in a moment in thought and then to the small gathering around her, "Bear-dogs in the fields are not good for our winter foods." Eyeing the collection of people around her, a mixed bag of hominid, fey, and possibly a chimera or two. "I ask our guests, with the villages guard primarily occupied with the Grassland Tribes to our east, could I bother you spare a moment to deal with this threat?"

Character Concepts and Interest
First off, thank you for reading through to this part.
Until I can post the guidelines I'll take concepts for character ideas. This system is based mainly on skills, there are no classes, but they can be referred to for ideas. There are psionics and magic and the like.

Name: whatever suits you, the only true nations that exist is the Fey
Race: Hominid (human, barely iron age technology), Fey (elf/dwarf/gnome/etc, magic and psionics are second nature), Chimera (anything not Fey or Hominid/various technology and magic levels of evolution from stone age and up)
Skills: Top three things the character is going to be good at
Concept: Feel free to add anything in here to flesh out your ideas. The setting is primitive and tribal for hominid, and empirical for the fey, the chimera exist in anything from solitary to tribal.

Last edited by Solomon777; Jun 6th, 2021 at 09:39 PM.
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 02:36 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 206
Motjaba Motjaba Motjaba
Character ApplicationName: Winifred Wily of the Withywindle
Race: Fey (gnome)
right-aligned image

Skills: Crafting Gadgets, Knowledge (nature), Healing
Concept: Winnie Wily the whale whisperer, is a gnomish nomad who travels around Pangea in an attempt to aid those in need. She finds the Hominids quite endearing and is always willing to help problem solve with them. She loves to leave a trinket or a gadget to help these creatures when she moves on to her next adventure. Usually the gadgets are small like a needle that points north, or a piece of glass that can help start a fire using the sun. She is constantly in search of adding W titles to her name, and loves it when someone gives her a nickname.
Description Winnie is three feet tall and slight build at only 35 pounds. She has many pockets and carries bags with her, and is always looking for more storage. She travels with a small cart that can fold out into a temporary dwelling for her. She has this cart stuffed to the brim so she can not ride on it. Her dog Lola III is a semi domesticated dog, that pulls Winnie's cart. Lola III will walk in a direction when pointed and loves treats. She will not however get involved in fights and generally dislikes strangers.

Not sure what this system entails, but I am intrigued and willing to learn.

Last edited by Motjaba; Jun 6th, 2021 at 11:50 PM.
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 03:42 PM
The Chaotic Swirl

Tools
User Statistics
Solomon777 Solomon777 Solomon777 Solomon777 Solomon777 Solomon777 Solomon777 Solomon777 Solomon777 Solomon777 Solomon777
Motjaba: Thank you for your interest! I love the idea behind Winnie, she would be great and you hit it correctly with the tinker-side for the fey. They have almost all the pseudoscience as well. Winnie can certainly have a cart and dog to complete the ensemble.
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 09:26 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39192
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Rare is the game ad where the Flavor considers Bubo the Owl and Joxer the Mighty.

Any particular desired posting rate?
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 09:42 PM
The Chaotic Swirl

Tools
User Statistics
Zev!? glad to see a few of those I recognize still beating around.

Posting Rate: due to the IRL that everyone has will be about 1-3 per week. Given this playtest will only be about 3 players, it should be manageable.

Thank you for asking
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 07:37 PM
The Chaotic Swirl

Tools
User Statistics
Hello everyone!

I am adding the 18 page Pangaea 5050 playbook for casual reading and thoughts. As a longtime player and moderator of TT and online games jumping into games that are completely home-brew are intimidating, to say the least. Pangaea 5050 is composed of several of these systems, with liberties taken on certain details.

The easiest way to define the system mechanics in short word is if you have ever played OWoD or DnD or any game without dice, read choose your adventure novels before, or played theater-of-the-mind in any game, then you have played something like Pangaea 5050. Yes, the playbook is a lot of tables, I cut out the fluff in order to make items easier to find and for modification by other moderator/storytellers.

Thank you again for the interest, and good gaming.
Respects,
Sol
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 08:55 PM
The bird with the words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10476
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
As someone who has their own plans of inflicting their own RPG design upon these forums someday, this got my interest. I've just downloaded the PDF you linked to and will have a peek when I get the opportunity. Not sure yet if I'll be able to commit to another game right now, especially if I end up joining Outplay, but I'm considering it.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 09:41 PM
His divine shadow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5760
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
Best of luck Solomon. You probably don't remember me as it's been a few years, but I remember our all too brief solo games fondly.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 09:55 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 206
Motjaba Motjaba Motjaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon777 View Post
Motjaba: Thank you for your interest! I love the idea behind Winnie, she would be great and you hit it correctly with the tinker-side for the fey. They have almost all the pseudoscience as well. Winnie can certainly have a cart and dog to complete the ensemble.
Great! I edited the character app to reflect this. I will now take the opportunity to read the linked document for the system rules!
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 11:25 PM
The Chaotic Swirl

Tools
User Statistics
HotsuSama: Awesome, I've fallen out of flavor with a lot of the main-stream games as I find myself thinking, why some things are so bogged down in mechanics, and I end up cutting corners in a lot of places. I reduced the 5e rules to about five pages or something, I haven't looked back at them in a long time
I look forward to seeing something from you when you get it ready to go.

Acathala: I definitely recall Sir Drummond and our very short solo-ish ventures into the world of FR. I blame myself completely with those, I should have realized that RL was not giving me the time I wanted to contribute. Holy Scat, that must have been over 5 years ago ... maybe ten?

Motjaba: Perfect! I look forward to getting a story going. We might end up with a solo if nothing else.

*** Once I get a forum I can play with, I'll get a story up. Depending how this goes, this advert might not end, since I want some input on this project ***
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 01:08 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6024
Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile
Application
right-aligned image

Name: Ye'efu of the Lubemba

Race: Hominid

Skills: Hunting, Melee Combat, Feats of Strength

Concept: Ye'efu is a mighty hunter and stalwart warrior, working tirelessly to ensure his people are never lacking in meat or pelts and always prepared to take up arms against rivals who would lay claim to Lubemba lands. A practical man of even temperament, he shows little regard for anything which does not contribute to the necessities of survival, to the point where one could consider him near humorless. This has not won him many friends, but his skills and his loyalty garner him much respect among his people regardless. Has trouble trusting people outside of his tribe, with any such interactions usually highlighted by a barely constrained, almost palpable hostility, but he will meet the obligations of any alliances his people form, right until the moment they are inevitably betrayed, as he is certain is only ever a matter of time.

Last edited by Crocodile; Jun 8th, 2021 at 01:56 AM.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 01:37 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 885
Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula
Application
right-aligned image

Name: Jorg of the Bear Clan Mountain Men

Race: Iron Age Hominid

Skills: Ranged Combat, Stealth, Wilderness Survival

Concept: Jorg is one of the scouts of his clan. As such he has made himself a marksmen because melee is more likely to prevent him from coming back to the Bear Clan with news. Jorg is wary of strangers but can be friendly at times. He often brings back games though that is the responsibility of the hunters who roam closer to the clan than he does. Jorg's main job is to warn of other tribes incoming that could be a threat to the Bear Clan.

He has only a few fast friends as he is one too long at stretches of time to mingle readily with the rest of the clan. But the Bear Clan know they can trust Jorg and the other scouts to keep them safe. He has never found a wife among the clan and probably never will. Such is the life of a scout.

Jorg is curious about other beings. If some passerby seems like he could be friendly, Jorg often takes risks and hails them from a distance and tries to talk to them, not always successfully as he often does not share the same language with them. He sometimes feels guilty about this, as his death could mean hardship to the Bear Clan from an unsuspected attack.

Last edited by Shula; Jun 8th, 2021 at 01:38 AM.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 01:42 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 885
Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula
A fey gadgeteer medic, a iron age warrior, and an iron age rogue... an interesting start to the applications.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 05:47 PM
Duke of Chanwood

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1961
Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor
Posting interest and a rough idea, since I haven't read the playbook yet. Seems like my kind of thing, though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon777 View Post
OWoD - Vampire: Dark Ages
DnD - starting with the red set that came with a crayon!
any game without dice - Amber
read choose your adventure novels before - For Summerlund!
theater-of-the-mind - LARP Garou
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Dubhshláine
Race: Fey (Seelie Elf)
Skills: Magic, archery, trickery
Concept: Dubhshláine (Dub) is one of the Not a reference to Wheel of Time.aes sídhe is an elf of the Seelie Court, sent to proactively protect fae abodes from destruction and desecration at the hands of non-fae across Pangea. While initially horrified and disgusted by the mortals he encountered, he eventually became curious, and wound up being on friendly terms with many of them. He is amused and a bit baffled at the ways of the Hominid, but finds them interesting enough to investigate, for now.

Luinil Alqualond - Wood Elf Ranger, Desert of Desolation
Berilac "Berry" Fairbairn - Halfling Ranger, Priestess

Last edited by Andor; Jun 8th, 2021 at 06:06 PM.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 08:24 PM
The Chaotic Swirl

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you everyone for your interest, please humor my brainstorming below.

Crocodile: Ye’efu is perfect as to where the hominid (human) race is and the general mindset. I can believe a purpose for Ye’efu to be in Pendragon, as you mentioned ‘alliances’, therefore his skills could have been utilized in providing food-stuffs to the Pendragon tribe for trade. Ye’efu would know that the beast called, bear-dogs are not prone to the hominid, except for easy food.

Shula: I can see Jorg as fitting in the same arena. A tribal collective on trade, which happened to be in conference with Gwen in the opening encounter. He is another fine example of where the hominid people exist in Pangaea. Jorg would also know that the behavior of bear-dogs does not include going near hominid settlements.

Andor: I don’t see Dubhshláine involved in the fledgling trade talks, but I do see him interested in solving the question about bear-dogs, usually a beast that stays as far as possible from the hominid. Dub does know of the fey burial sites that are nearby, and though the village of Pendragon has stayed in its locale, the introduction of these bear-dogs may spark further exploration and discovery of the burial locations.

Motjaba: Winifred would mix in nicely as she is already in possession of the trade mindset.