RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons 5e > Forgotten Realms: Of Kings and Mercenaries
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 07-12-2018, 01:12 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 129
HelionTalos HelionTalos
Chapter One: Captain's Grief

The Camp
left-aligned image
Alaghôn, the capital of the country of Turmish, was quiet as night overtook the land. The Merchants War had just been declared, and soldiers from both states were mobilizing for a major war. Merchant vessels were fleeing from the war ironically, and the local peasantry were unhappy with the current state of things. War brought many things; pestilence, death and ruin. Even in the magical setting of Faerun, war was still devastating no matter the size. Wizards and mages changed warfare radically, as massive stone walls could be instantly turned to dust by magic. Even with this thoughts in mind, the ruling families of both Chondath and Turmish were advocating war and death, and nothing would stop their industrial machines at this point.

The Golden Company had answered the King of Turmish's call for mercenaries. Camped right outside of Alaghôn, the company had arrived a week prior. Several other war-camps were developing around the city, and peasants could be seen fleeing the capital in droves. At some point, most probably thought that the countryside would be better suited for peace then the sprawling cities. Convoys filled with traveling men and women could be seen leaving Alaghôn by the dozens, and no doubt these people were in awe of the numbers the Turmishans were building. The massive amount of mercenaries, hired men and professional soldiers that had camped out near the capital was inspiring and quite scary in the grand scheme of things.

The Golden Company was small in comparison to the other companies, but you didn't mind that. The Golden Company was well-known for its small stature but big talent. The soldiers in the Golden Company were of a higher quality then other mercenary company's, and the captains were rather proud of this fact. However, tonight was not going well for the company at all.

Captain Vandillin, the man that had held the Golden Company together for several decades, was dying. Either age or providence was intervening in fate, and Vandillin was no longer doing as well as he had been in the past. Crippled by some type of debilitating disease, Vandillin refused all clerical and magical healing. Now, he lay in his cot in his commander's tent, coughing and hacking up both blood and phlegm.

You had been summoned to the commander's tent by the two lower commanders of the company. Both were considered lieutenants of the company, and both were radically different in their style of leading. Lieutenant Runan was a human who served with the captain for many years. A little younger then the current, sick captain, Runan was respected for his honor, duty to the company, and his friendliness. Lieutenant Cannelred however, was a lot different. Perfidious, somewhat stale in personality and rather strict in terms of commanding, Cannelred was not well-liked by the other mercenaries. What he lacked in personality however, he made up in his commanding and ability to lead, as Cannelred had a more strategic mind than Runan.

Both of them were standing by the entrance to the captain's tent. Runan approached the four of you with grave news. "Thanks for coming on short notice. The captain is not doing well. The camp doctor is attempting to heal him with herbs and drink, but his disease is not responding to what the doctor has on hand." A harsh hacking could be heard from the tent behind Runan, which interrupted him from speaking.

"I have been watching all four of you with great interest since you joined. I think you all could one day be great soldiers in our company, and I need your help now." Runan unfolded a map in his surcoat, coming close to the four of you. "The doctor believes a herb can be used to relieve the captain's fever. Its called Mallowroot and it only grows near Morningstar Hollows."

The hollows used to be a rather large village north of Alaghôn, before the river nearby flooded terribly. The local peasants eventually got tired of living near the flood plains and they fled from the village en mass. Now, the hollows was a massive swamp filled with all manners of deadly creatures. Riverfolk and Lizardfolk frequently inhabited the swamp, and caused problems for any travelers coming through the area. The Lizardfolk were becoming more brazen recently as well, as guards and patrols were lacking.

"If you do not want to take this mission, I totally understand. However, I do believe the four of you are the best suited for this particular task." Runan smiled at the group, as he gave the map to whomever was willing to carry it. Before Runan could continue, Cannelred moved forward with a sneer. Dressed in his heraldic attire and surcoat, he practically spit as he spoke.

"This is a suicide mission! The captain refuses all magical healing. This is his fault. We shouldn't send four of our soldiers to die for his folly." Runan shot the other lieutenant a glare of anger, his hand twitching towards his sword in both reflex and wrath. The glare was enough for Cannelred to back off, and Runan looked back to the group.

"What say you? Will you undertake this mission for the captain? For me?"

Old 07-12-2018, 02:10 PM
CommunityCoffee Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4220
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Mia- Elven Ranger: Hunter
right-aligned image
Mia was about to slip off into the city when she was summoned. This city was well known for its large population of elves, almost as big a portion of the population as Gildenglade. Though just nodding if anyone asked if she was out for a visit, she was actually intent on finding a certain contact.

But it would have to wait.

She looked around as she heard Runan out, and noticed the dwarf, half-elf, and human that had been summoned as well. She thought she knew, or knew of, the half elf, but wasn't fully certain. The dwarf and the human she had seen around, but hadn't leant an ear to see what they were about.

She was 5'9", and slim like an elf. She had an ornate bow and if anything was said about her, it was that she was a top notch archer. Dressed in dyed scalemail she also had a hand axe and a mace lashed to her pack beside her quiver.

Hearing Runan out she said, "That's a long trek. Can the Captain hold out that long?"

CHARACTER SHEET

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 07-12-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:14 PM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2636
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
Kestrel
right-aligned image
Young and ambitious, Kestrel was full of confidence. She was not going to pose questions or have doubts about the mission. She felt honored to be chosen.
- "Consider it done, Lieutenant." - she replied with a playful half-smile. She stroked her hazel hair with both hands, arranging her locks behind her pointy ears. Her bright blue eyes shone with eagerness as she put her hands on her hips, just above the hilts of her graceful elven-style daggers. She wore no armor, her earth-colored clothes were only supplemented by a dark cloak.
She looked towards the three others chosen for her as companions.
- "I am Kestrel. We should set out as soon as possible. I'm ready to leave as soon as I get my pack." - she nodded towards the tents behind.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:42 PM
Now a Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7703
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
HoraceThe day had not been an overly exciting one and had even given Horace a chance to read for a bit but then it was disrupted by a runner pantingly explaining that he had been summoned to the Captain's Tent. It was an unusual summons to say the least but he expected it was for his healing abilities, perhaps the stubborn old man had finally relented on his demand not to be treated by magic. He rose from the log stool and placed his book on it gingerly before jogging toward the Captain's tent, his long legs making the trip fly by. When finally he found himself standing in front of the tent the others were all folks he had seen in the camp but he couldn't assign a name to any of them and even if he could he probably wouldn't care.

Runan and Cannelred stood with stony looks on their faces but it was clear the two were concerned with what was occurring. Runan had been the first to give Horace a chance with the Company and he had proven himself time and again to be worthy of loyalty but ultimately Horace would back Cannelred if the Company chose a new leader in a democratic fashion, Cannelred was harsh but his tactical acumen would keep more men alive and he was likely to get better contracts by being less kind. Despite that he would have a hard time convincing himself that it would be worth pissing on the man if he were on fire in a desert.

Runan began speaking but before he got far the horrid hacking of the Captain rent the air. Horace kept his tongue still as Runan explained the situation to them and a few of the gathered mercenaries spoke their peace before finally Horace raised a finger to draw the attention of those assembled. "I am going to voice what may be a bit of a dark question but I think it is one worth thinking about. Are you certain the Captain wants to live? He is refusing all forms of magical treatment, I think accepting traditional medicine may just be a way of easing the guilt of leaving. Also I would like to see him before we leave, I have been trained in medicine by my mother since I was knee-high to a bullfrog and I am under the same concern as... I apologize miss but I don't think I know your name, that goes for all of you really. I am Horace by the by."
Old 07-15-2018, 07:42 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1933
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Balwulf War-Singer
right-aligned image

Balwulf was easily found by Lieutenant Runan when he went searching for the hard drinking dwarf. By the Golden Company bonfire, he was currently engaged in telling a boisterous tale about the time a dwarven warrior had tried a magical ale, got blind drunk, and woke up married to an ogrish princess. The attempts of the dwarf to free himself of marriage of the frightfully ugly but massively strong and well-connected ogrish princess was always a fun tale, and he was just getting to the best part (where the ogre threatened to tell her father and brothers if the dwarf failed to consummate the marriage and him finally relenting) when the lieutenants came along and pulled him down from the log he was dancing on, spilling his tankard of ale all over himself. Initially annoyed, he listens to their hushed whispers and even through the beginnings of a hazy evening he understood its importance. With a quick word to the others that he would return, he lobs his empty tankard to the nearest mercenary and purposefully walks to the captain's tent.

He quickly takes in the others summoned and mulls on what is occurring. Being as social as he is, Balwulf at least recognizes the folks there somewhat: two elven women (one half-blooded) and a human man with unruly hair. He has never formally met any of them, but he knows they are a part of the Golden Company at least. When Lieutenant Runan speaks, he has Balwulf's full attention - especially once he mentions the Morningstar Hallows. He knows
Dice History check:
1d20-1 (18)-1 Total = 17
very little about the place but what he does know is that it sounds a lot more exciting than sitting around on his laurels waiting for this war to kick off.

When Lieutenant Cannelred begins his tirade, Balwulf interrupts slightly by belching rather loudly. Whether it was an accident or intentional, it's hard to tell, but Balwulf decides to capitalize on it. "Never fear, Lieutenant Kennelrod," he says loudly, deliberately mispronouncing the snotty lieutenant's name but saying it as respectfully as he can. "'Twould be the honor of these folks an' I to go lookin' fer this here Mallowroot or whatever the Cap'n needs simply because we be the Golden Company! We look out fer each other! If you was in the same position, Lieutenant Cannonlod, we'd do it fer you too!" He hiccups slightly and belches again, before scratching his head and stating "Well, it might be wise to figger out what this Mallowroot looks like, eh? What kind of things it grows near and all that. If the Cap'n needs it, I says we gets it. Besides, it beats sitting around on me bellows waiting fer the real fun to start."

Last edited by Grouchy; 07-15-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:55 PM
CommunityCoffee Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4220
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Mia- Elven Ranger: Hunter
right-aligned image
Mia smiled when the Dwarf mispronounced Cannelred's name. It didn't matter if he had done it intentionally, or by accident, it was a welcome bit of humor either way - even with their Captain on death's door.

"Miadania Yllafiel", she said by way of introductions. She didn't say anymore as they were waiting for a few questions to be answered.

CHARACTER SHEET
Old 07-17-2018, 09:26 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 129
HelionTalos HelionTalos
The Camp
left-aligned image
Runan regarded the question of how long the captain could hold out with a slight frown. The lady had every right to ask it, but it still left a slight wound on Runan's personality. Many had accused him of being too sentimental when it came to his comrades, and they honestly were not wrong. Especially in regards to his captain, who he had fought alongside with for many years. Runan answered the lady with a nod, but was not entirely sure himself that the captain would be able to survive the bitter disease that wracked his body so.

"The captain has a few days at least, according to the physician anyway. The Hollows are a day's trek away on horseback, which will of course be provided to you should you take this mission. Provisions will be given to you as well." Runan hoped the idea of giving them a wagon full of food, provisions and more would be enough to convince them to take the journey. Anything to save his friend's life.

Horace introduced himself and wanted to see the captain himself. While Runan had no problem with this, he worried that seeing the captain's position may serve to dissuade the soldiers from taking the journey. Runan answered Horace with a shrug. "You are more then welcome to check his condition if you would like. The physician is a particular fellow however, so be careful around him. As for his want for life, I've known the captain much of my life. He has never trusted magic, and his decision to not want magical healing is one I understand."

The captain was well-known in the company to have an aversion to magic. In fact, he had never trusted Clerics and Wizards, and they hired them only recently due to the oncoming war. Run-ins with enemy mages, necromancers and more had steeled the captain's thought that magic was a terrifying thing. Runan could understand the captain's distrust, no matter how much this complicated things.

"I say we let him pass on. The Turmishan's hired us for war, and we will be setting off very soon. We cannot be lumbering a corpse along the way!" Cannelred made sure to interject with his thoughts. His mood was sour due to the captain's condition, and the dwarf misspeaking his name did not help things, though Runan could not help but grin at the idea. Ignoring him completely, Runan replied to the dwarf with a smile.

"Mallowroot is deep yellow, with roots that dig into the ground and a greenish stalk. They grow throughout the Hollows honestly. It shouldn't be difficult to find once you get into the area. The hardest part of this mission is avoiding the swampfolk." Runan finished his conversation with them with more instructions, as a small wagon was being prepared for them. Four horses and a small wagon were ready for them, and they would need to leave at once.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:02 PM
Now a Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7703
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
HoraceThe large man listened as Runan spoke and gave a curt nod when he gave how long the Captain would live and explained why the Captain refused treatment by magic, it was a fear he found to be irrational but wouldn't fault someone else for having it. The willingness to give Horace the ability to see him was something he was happy about, perhaps he would be able to find something that his current medic had been unable to ascertain. The medical knowledge he had gathered from his childhood had already proven helpful dozens of times in his short time with the Golden Company but this sounded like far more than making a basic medicated wrap or setting a bone.

Despite the gravity of the situation it seemed that Cannalred was intent on proving himself to be as much of an undeniable ass as he could be while simultaneously being practical. The bright green of Horace's eyes began to glow and the irises seemed to shift like flames in the young man's eyes. "Cannalred I respect you as a tactician and a warrior. I even respect you as a person the majority of the time so know I say this with the utmost respect. Shut your thrice damned spear holster or I will fill it with hellfire and force you to swallow." He is simply coping in his own way, no need to be so angry. Shut up. Such a bad mood Horace. You really should learn to be more kind. I said shut it. The voice quieted but he could still hear the faint tinkling of bells, its heightened emotional state manifesting itself in his mind.

Horace didn't wait to see how the lieutenant's would respond, his anger and general frustration seething from him. He walked with purpose to the Captain's personal tent and walked in, his long stride unbroken until he stood inside the flap and took a deep shuttering breath to calm his nerves and let the detached calm he needed to do a proper examination fill him. Horace nodded to the Companies resident medic. "Hello sir. I am Horace and I have been asked to go find the mallowroot you have asked for. I would like to examine the Captain before I go to see if perhaps some of the knowledge my mother passed along to me could be of use. I do not wish to call into question your own knowledge I just know that no one person can learn all there is to know about medicines. Do you mind if I do a full inspection sir?" The large man kept his hands behind his back, not wishing to impose upon the man's domain without permission.

Last edited by MundayKnight; 07-18-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2636
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
Kestrel
right-aligned image
As Horace spoke, Kestrel began to feel uncomfortable. "To think that the captain doesn't want to live? Who wouldn't want to live? Then again, who would refuse magical healing?" - all these useless questions just confused her mind, why not get go already?
She put her weight from one leg to the other as she grew ever inpatient.

The phlegmatic dwarf lured a smirk onto her face. "That's the spirit!" - she immediately started to like him.

She politely bowed her head slightly as Miadania introduced herself. "Distant, like all of them." - she noted silently.

Then her eyes widened as Horace began to threaten Lieutenant Cannelred. True, the lieutenant said some quite rude things about the captain, but still...
Finally she ended up smiling wide. "He's right after all! We're no henchmen to boss around!"

As the wagon arrived, she hurried away. - "I'll be right back, got to get my pack!"