RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Apr 6th, 2021, 08:36 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4206
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
As a patron power, Ellgan Elloktar is a twist on the big-bad archer. He is Geckokin, and they are diminuitive little lizards described here: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthread.php?t=193706 . But the race are all natural Summoners, and their eidolons are uniformly large size twins of themselves. Functionally: they act kinds of like Centaurs.

As an orc-dominated setting I'll assume all orcs (who are dirt poor peons worth ignoring at your level) will be shooting at you with hornbows.

Re: is a flying archer build too much? Shrug. I've already hit the PCs with flying archers, and the PCs indeed suffered. I'm a cruel DM. :-) Whatever you come up with, I'll just hit you harder with something different.

Do expect indoor environments, dungeon crawls, etc. to mix in with outdoors action. So it will be important to be flexible and be able to play without a mount along at various points.

(Footnote: The current scenario is a fork from the original Sweetwater, and is described here.)
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 09:12 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10809
mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot
I will say this, CCC is an adaptive and skilled DM who knows how to throw exactly what you suck against at the exact moment you think things couldn't get any worse...
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 09:26 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 180
Inverse Null Inverse Null
Haha, didn't realize the actual geckokin were quite so small. Ah, well, still an important lesson to remember: not everything poses a danger appropriate to its size.

As for the rest, obviously flying ranged attackers can be disruptive, and that's why I wanted to check in first (although less so by level 7 in a setting with firearms, I imagine). And Utsidihi will only fly via mount, so there's plenty of times that I'll just be an orc with a bow and a bunch of dead levels. That's a problem pretty much every cavalier faces. As for the bow itself, I've always thought it was an apology for orcs having THE worst weapons to go with their weapon familiarity trait out of all the major races that have one (seriously, the only other two are an unimpressive double weapon and a polearm worse than several standard martial weapons). So, yeah, I'd expect lots of orcs to aspire to wielding one (the actual dirt poor orcs probably don't have 130+ gp weapons sitting around, but that's why you don't annoy random orc tribes, right?).

I'll try to get things finalized over the next few days.
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 10:27 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
I added an opening scene for this party to show up at, when eventually approved:

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...86#post9112386

(Footnote: The current scenario is a fork from the original Sweetwater, and is looking for a new party of 4 6th level PCs, described here.)

Last edited by CatCanCook; Apr 7th, 2021 at 04:15 PM.
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 11:53 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Actually, rethinking what I want to pitch here. Yes, getting to play an orcish archer on her celestial pteranodon is a pretty fun visual. However, I'm not convinced that's the best fit for this prompt. And more importantly, I don't think I'm motivated to play an 8 Int / 8 Cha character in the text-based PBP format.

I'll resubmit in the next day or two with something different that I feel more interactive about.
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 04:16 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Sounds reasonable, Inverse.

(One way a player in one of my games got around the brick-stupid PC problem is to a) play the PC more for comic relief, and b) have a cohort who while lowever level could handle conversations and planning better.)

(Footnote: The current scenario is a fork from the original Sweetwater, and is looking for a new party of four 6th level PCs, described here.)

Last edited by CatCanCook; Apr 7th, 2021 at 04:16 PM.
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 05:55 PM
Truthwatcher

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2106
Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387
The greenblood/brute orcs would be the lowest caste, correct? Kind of an oppressed and downtrodden peasant class?
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 07:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
The greenblood/brute orcs are mid-to-low caste (3-4), but not the lowest (5). Some are free, and they are like as not the oppressors of the two castes below them.

Last edited by CatCanCook; Apr 7th, 2021 at 08:02 PM.
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 02:49 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2362
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
If Orcs are the Klingons of this world, are Molekin the Farengi?
Their Ability Scores and minuses to relevant Skill modifiers make them not ideal for such a mercantile role, but I am going to attempt to build one nonetheless.

My idea is to create a Spheres of Might Character, heavily using the Leadership Sphere, relying on Cohorts for defence and Followers for out of Combat resources that the whole party can benefit from.

Would this be a helpful or a disruptive build?
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 09:27 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I wouldn't have thought about the Farengi in connection with the molekin.

Briefly: the Sphere is vast, and furries -- anthropomorphic animals -- of all sorts live somewhere or other.

The Molekin are a Consensus-aligned race for the most part: lawful good, monotheistic, religiously opposed toward magic, oriented toward their communities and families. They have a lot of dwarf-like traits, but but if you read the link to my bestiary the overall thrust of their racial traits and alternative traits points in a different direction than dwarves.

They have been a persecuted minority race, misunderstood and oppressed, but hearty survivors who get through hard times by pulling together. Socially, they have dense, crowded warren-like underground fortresses where they live lives of peace and quiet: pursuing such arts, sciences and culture as they like. These scattered communities participate in trade networks which have an important function of achieving arranged marriages and exchanges of population between otherwise separated clans.

What matters? It's family, ancestry, tradition, faith, the old ways. The comfortable huddle in the darkness against the blur and glare of an evil outside world. The holy few, caring for clan and kin, in the face of a world fallen into immorality.

Molekin who adventure would be against the average trend for the culture. Those who live in the City State would are in a Lawful Evil tilted environment, which is much against their Lawful Good ways. Molekin traders, running their extensive trade route, are probably the most common reasons for this race to venture into and live in the City State. Or there could be religious missionaries who are trying to convert magic-using pagans to the true and pure path. Or break-away individuals who have just distanced themselves from their native culture and traditions -- "lost children" from the tribe's perspective. Individuals vary! Greed happens: some molekin can certainly spend their lives in acquisition, contrary to the primary thrust of the race's tradition.

Last edited by CatCanCook; Apr 8th, 2021 at 09:34 AM.
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 09:44 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Challenges with a large number of cohorts:
- the bigger the party, the bigger and more powerful the encounters are -- and so an encounter that is a challenge to a crowd of 10 is likely to outright kill some (whether cohort or PC)
- having a crowd can risk overshadowing other PCs -- this is everyone's story, and if you take 10 actions to someone else's two actions - that's lopsided Also: nobody wants to run your cohorts for you. ​
- You are in the city-state of the INVINCIBLE overlord: the powers he has are immense and you cannot win against an overwhelming force by having a conspicuous pod of people trundling around together. One of the biggest things you have to do is not get nailed by the secret police. The into scene I posted a link to starts with the idea that the rebellion consists of small subversive cells. You'll find yourself at the hub of a web of secret groups that aren't allowed to know about each other. Otherwise as the Black Lotus penetrates the alliance it would all unravel ... as has happened times before in history.
- Last; I don't want cohorts on solo threads. PCs on solo threads is great but running NPC-vs-NPC is not my idea of time well spent. :-)

So those are my concerns on a crowd.
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 09:53 AM
DAGRON

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6426
Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A
I'm thinking of making a former-slave molekin arcanist. Would it be possible for a slave to work their way out of slavery by learning magic and joining a guild, or would it make more sense if he escaped/was liberated by revolutionaries?
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 10:14 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2362
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibit A View Post
I'm thinking of making a former-slave molekin arcanist. Would it be possible for a slave to work their way out of slavery by learning magic and joining a guild, or would it make more sense if he escaped/was liberated by revolutionaries?
Part of my idea was my guy would also be a former slave that had bought his freedom, and now he had amassed the resources, was running a semi-legal underground railroad, whereby slaves could work for him, plying their various trades and literally buy their freedom.
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 10:28 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Does the Invincible Overlord have the support of any particular Power? None of them really struck me as "Lawful Evil Tyrant" material, but I could be misreading a couple. Considering my options for shenanigans here.
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 01:25 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
1) yes - it is possible for a slave to develop magic talent, and rise dramatically in caste by being accepted into a guild. A rags to riches story, so to speak. However, the wizards guild owes fealty to the Overlord. All the guilds are hierarchical, strict, and paranoid. Guild members get assignments from the secret police to investigate potential traitors, and no one is trusted. If you are in a guild, you start low.

2) being an escaped slave means you are under a death sentence, not a great start. You could have been purchased, freed by a sponsor (requires papers ... lose your papers and you may be at risk).

Last edited by CatCanCook; Apr 8th, 2021 at 01:25 PM.