Other [7th Sea] - Blades, Betrayal, and Brotherhood - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 03:07 PM
Peace was never an option

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31568
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner
[7th Sea] - Blades, Betrayal, and Brotherhood

Game Name[7th Sea 2e] - Blades, Betrayal, and Brotherhood
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeBetrayal, Revenge, some piracy and swashbuckling mixed in.
FlavourSmall to medium group, slow-paced, high role-play adventure set in Thea which is inspired by 17th century Europe.
Plot Summary
Game Name
Blades, Betrayal, and Brotherhood

Game System
ThemeBetrayal, Revenge, some piracy and swashbuckling mixed in.
FlavourSmall to medium group, slow-paced, high role-play adventure set in Thea which is inspired by 17th century Europe.

APPLICATIONS CLOSED

What is the 7th Sea?
right-aligned image

I understand that many of you are not familiar with this system. Fear not! New Players are more than welcome and there are free resources for you to get acquainted without spending a dime. Which leads us to the most important question, What is 7th Sea?!

7th Sea is a game of swashbuckling and intrigue, exploration and adventure, taking place on the continent of Théah, a land of magic and mystery inspired by 17th Century Europe. If you are familar with such names as Dread Pirate Roberts, Jack Sparrow, d’Artagnan, Milady de Winter, Inigo Montoya, Robin Hood, King Arthur, or even the Scarlet Pimpernel this system is for you. It is all about Big Damn Heroes, the ones we love to tell stories about over and over again.

Unlike other systems you don't start out as an amateur, you are capable of spectacular things right from the start. There is everything from Pirate battles to rooftop duels and magic that tears the very fabric of the world to the point you can hear it scream. All in all if you want to tell a grand story of adventure, this is a great system to do it.

The system is made to tell your characters story of revenge, heroism in the face of undeniable odds. You can fight of a horde of pirates to rescue the princess of hunt down the six fingered man who killed your father, but this isn't just 7th Century Europe. There are creatures of fae and monsters who have risen from terrible war.

You can download the Free Basic Rules Here!

I Get it but first tell me how it works!
I get it, you don't want to download a pdf and look through it just to find out what the core mechanic is, so here it is in a nutshell. It is a D10 sytem where you roll a dice pool based on your Skiils/Traits. In this system however you 'keep everything' meaning you take all the die you rolled and add them together in sums of 10. Each 10 is considered a raise. You cash in your raises to do cool stuff like slash the opponent, grab the girl and swing of the chandelier or ram the opposing pirate ship.

Game Information
Thea

Thea is a land surrounded by Seven Great Seas where the idea of Nationalism is just becoming popular. After thirty years of religious conflict consumed the land Kindom's are now finally starting to become nations. You can review the basic rules on descriptions of each. I will be building a framework to tell this story but the possibility of visiting any or all of them is within reach, especially considering how our stories starts. To apply for a spot in this came however you will need to know about Avalon. A Nation that is actually comprised of three countries, Avalon, Isamore, and The Highland Marches. It easiest to compare this to what we know as England, Ireland, and Scotland.

left-aligned image
The United Kingdoms of Avalon

This is a land known for its living legends, rescued from the grips of war by some of Thea's greatest leaders and the resurrection of ancient Sidhe magic. In Avalon the boundaries between the real and the fantastic are as clear as a morning fog and sometimes they simply don't exist at all. It is a land where magic is continually getting more powerful and creatures of the Fae are retaking their ancient wood. Queen Elaine is the undisputed ruler thanks to a sacred compact between her and the kingdom's fairie inhabitants, the Sidehe. After being raised in secret she was visited by the great wizard Derwyddon who came to her on her wedding fay, took her to Bryn Bresail, the land of the Sidhe, to recover the magical Graal that would unite the three Kingdoms. Upon her return she fulfilled Derwyddon's prophecy and brought all three Kingdoms together under one banner.

Queen Elaine is a kind and compassionate ruler who is trusted by her people, and has opened her doors to the people of all faiths. Despite the revival of magic the invitation has lead to an influx of Realist, people who believe magic doesn't exist and that people actually will it into manifesting around them. A fanatical group they have been banned from most other countries and so have fled to the one place magic is most strong simply because Queen Elaine will welcome all faiths into her lands.

A group called the Seperatist oppose Avalon's influence over the Highland Marches and consider Queen Elaine's influence blasphemy on their own lands. King James MacDuff has sworn allegiance to Elaine but the Separatist are constantly working to subvert her trust and convince King James MacDuff that she can't be trusted. Recently word of Separatist spies in Avalon's court have created suspicion of even the Queen Elaine's most trusted allies. Even the knights of Avalon have those among them who will not swear allegiance to the Queen. Despite the return of the Graal and the unity under the original blood that ruled Avalon the kingdom faces and overwhelming growth of magic and a tension among the people of its three Kingdoms.

Where you fit in...

The flames made a crackle and pop as two men cloaked in dark hoods stood a distance watching the estate burn. They had been surprised how quickly it took to light, now more concerned who might notice such a display instead of the destruction that they had hoped to reap.

"We really must be going, we can't be seen here." the first man whispered the horse on which he was mounted seemed to fidgit reflexively from its proximity to the flames.

"Soon, I want to enjoy this a moment longer, his utter destruction. Read it to me again." the man's voice was direct and stern as if with each passing moment of the flame it somehow seemed to gain more power.

"The letter?" the first man asked.

"Yes the letter you imbecile."

Reaching into the saddlebag the he pulled out the letter as ordered and started reading it. "Dear Queen Elaine"he started. "It has come to my attention that my betrothed has violated both your trust and mine and conspired against you and King MacDuff to further the agenda of the group known as the Separatist."he stopped and looked to see the grin on the other man's face. He had read the letter almost to the point of memorization yet it never seemed to get old. "Hidden at his estate are goods and documents to fund a covert operation planned by the Seperatist to suggest a move you were making with the Sidhe against the Highland King to enslave his people to the Fae. Upon making the discovery my fiance warned me not to tell so I feighned loyalty long enough to flee and reveal to him the betrayal. My great neighbors and loyalist of Avalon came to my rescue and pursued my fiance. Upon recognizing that a force had come to apprehend him and bring him to your judgement attempted to destroy all evidence of his betrayal and flee like the coward he had proven himself to be. We followed him to the coast where he boarded a Montaganois ship he had waiting for him. " they both laughed knowing the next part to be an utter lie. "Your Sea Dogs recognized the threat and took down the ship before it was out of the harbor thus killing my bastard fiance and freeing him from your judgement." the man read before pausing.

"How did you get Marcella to write this anyway? Was it really that easy to get her to betray him?"the man asked.

"You are dept, she doesn't even know about it. I had one of the ladies at court write it, she was so jealous of Marcella she was happy to soil her fiance's name. Marcella knows nothing of it, just that he was revealed a traitor and made a run for it. I will break the horrible news to her tonight, after ample time for the chase has passed. I told her I was going to clear his name." they both laughed as he said it.

"Where is she now?"

"At my estate, she must be comforted after all."he said with an evil grin. "What about him? Is it taken car off?"

"Booked for passage on the Atabean vessel as discussed. Head either to the Crimson Empire or the Western Continent no doubt."

"A slave ship... that was a nice touch. And I was just going to get him framed for treason." the man laughed.

"The best part is that not only does he suffer in some foreign land, his reputation here is utterly ruined thanks to you."

"Well it wasn't all me. Where do you think I got the idea for the Sepratist plot? Even I needed some help. When they go through that ash pile there will be just enough left to prove that we saved the Queen from a traitor and a heafty ransome will come our way."

"Along with is estate... and no doubt Marcella."

"Ahh, poor Marcella. I suppose you are right we should go, I can't leave her to bare this disaster on her own."he said as they both laughed again. "Remember we never speak of this again... we are just neighbors who were there at the right time."

"Understood. I'm going to enjoy living in the city anyway. Besides, with friends like you who needs enemies." he laughed before turning and leaving.

Yes, friends. They were best friends, but he couldn't help it. All that prestige and power, and worst of all Marcella. No he deserved those things not him. Marcella should have been his and now she would be. Looking toward the coast the man gave one last serious look.

"Farewell old friend. You never saw it coming did you? I always told you trusting people so easily was the mark of a fool. Too bad you didn't heed my warning." turning his horse away from the flames he trotted off to the empty arms of Marcella.

LogisticsTo start I am looking for 2-5 player characters. One will be the noble who has been betrayed by the men in the above description, but if no one chooses that route we can always make that an NPC. Outside of the above context you have free reign on your backstory.
You will be starting your journey on a slave ship where you will meet the other characters who will have also been captured. That is where our journey will begin. The story will cover you achieving your freedom and making your way back to Avalon or your other places of orgin to get revenge and clear your name.

The GM
I am an experienced DM/GM both around the table and in Pbp but I have never actually run this system so I will be learning with you. I will be working out the quirks on how to use some of the more narative aspects of this system while we play and to assist in that I most likely will communicate over discord messanging.

Application details Please provide the following details in your application. No Character sheets needed yet.

Name: What do we call you, do you have another name now??
Nation: One must be from Avalon the other anywhere
Starting Story: Create a Short Name that acts as a reminder of your character's personal story outside of the main story arc. Your character will be rewarded for accomplishing this in game and then will be able to pick up a new story.
Arcana:
Physical Description: Pictures are nice and they do allow us to visualize a lot of what we are dreaming up, but they do not take the place of words entirely, so although pictures are highly encouraged please also give me a description of how you see your character and any visual quirks they might have.
Personality: This one is pretty obvious, tell me about who your character is and how he will interact with the world in at least one paragraph.
Background: This should be at least three paragraphs telling me about your characters history that lead them to where they are today. What have they been through both physically and emotionally that make them compelling to a reader. Your character should be interesting enough that someone wants to follow along with our adventure for a good read.

Personal Goals: Beyond your initial Hero Story what does your character want to achieve in life?
Player Goals: What do you as a player want most for your character out of this game. Often times this does not always agree with what the character would want, in fact it usually makes it a lot more interesting if it isn;t!
Contacts: List three people who are tied to your character somehow. At least one has to be friendly, and one hostile.
Secret: Tell me a secret about your character. Are they in a secret society? Do they have a hidden past? It can even be something that they consciously are not aware of themselves.

FAQ

Applications will be open until March 30th.
Applications
PlayerCharacterNationBackgroundArcanaStoryStatus
Avner Venerio Barleto Vodacce CourtierThe Fool Recover a lost trinket Example
Attitude Stray William AvalonDuelist / Knight ErrantThe Glyph/The WarHis Father's Sword Complete
DBCowboy Lachlan MacQuarrie The Highland Marches Aristocrat/Unification Agent Glorious/Hot Headed Friends in Strange PlacesComplete
Preacherwolf Tonto Gol Peado Por Elamor III Castille Alquimista/DuelistThe Lovers/The Hero Vengance: A Love Story Complete
PopCultureBard Dalora Nikiamara Numa Orphan & DocentThe Begar/The Sun The Next Generation Complete
danabLuisella VoelckerCastilleProfessor/AlquimistaThe Devil (Astute)/The Tower (Arrogant)An Order RestoredComplete
gwythion Luka WążSarmatian CommonwealthŽynys (Soothsayer)/DuelistThe Magician /The FoolA Quest for DracheneisenComplete
Palliven Gaspar Cristobal de MenciaCastilleTercioWillful/UnfortunateReturning the FavorComplete
Hiruma KohakuFrancesca “Lucky” ValentinaVodacceCapitano/Company EscapeeVirtue (The Tower: Humble), Hubris (The Drowned Man: Doomed)What Is Mine (Advantage: Rich)Complete
Solid SnekFather Sebastian Xavier de RabellinoCastilleMirabilis and Criminal Commanding (The Emperor)/Relentless (Coins for the Ferryman)One More Tomorrow Complete
HellsingsRaziel Francois Noel d'AuzatMontaigne Epee Sanglante/OrphanThe Sun (Virtue: Glorious) (Hubris: Proud)I'll beat you at your own gameComplete
|

Last edited by Avner; Apr 1st, 2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 04:52 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5545
ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka
I will be keeping an eye on this. No promises.
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 05:57 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 268
ManEatsPants ManEatsPants ManEatsPants
Which books are you permitting for the game? I wouldn’t mind making a character from the Crescent Empire...
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 06:18 PM
Is Everything.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2382
Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude
A) Interested.

B) @MEP, the acceptable books are listed in the FAQ.
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 07:15 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManEatsPants View Post
Which books are you permitting for the game? I wouldn’t mind making a character from the Crescent Empire...
Yes all allowed materials are in the FAQ.
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 09:38 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 151
DBCowboy DBCowboy
I collected the original edition books but never found a group to play with.

I got the 2nd edition pdfs when I backed the Khitai kickstarter....that still hasn't shipped yet.

Definitely interested
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 11:01 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCowboy View Post
I collected the original edition books but never found a group to play with.

I got the 2nd edition pdfs when I backed the Khitai kickstarter....that still hasn't shipped yet.

Definitely interested
I know the feeling. I got the books when I met John Wick a couple of years back, he signed it and everything, but I never found a group to play with. This should be a nice chance for those of us who are fond of the system.
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 01:10 PM
Black Lives Matter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1886
slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick
Great to see some 7th Sea on here! What is your expected posting rate?
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 01:46 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapstick View Post
Great to see some 7th Sea on here! What is your expected posting rate?
I'm more into quality than quantity, especially with a more narrative system like this. I would say we would most likely do 1-2 DM updates per week depending on the roleplay (I'l let players finish out a good scene when needed). That isnt a hard rule though and we will most like find our natural stride.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 07:27 AM
Is Everything.

Tools
User Statistics
Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude

Stray Will
right-aligned image
Name: William Skeates (a.k.a. Stray William)

Nation: Avalon

Backgrounds: Duelist / Knight Errant

Starting Story: a two-step story that ends with the Team Player AdvantageNew Friends - Help the noble escape from the slavers.

Arcana
  • Virtue: The Glyph (Temperate. Activate your Virtue to prevent any magical effect (Sorcery, Artifacts, Monsters, etc.) from affecting you.)
  • Hubris: The War (Loyal. You receive a Hero Point when your Hero goes back for a fallen comrade or refuses to leave a wounded ally.)

Physical Description: William is a young man from Avalon. He’s a bit taller and his skin is a bit darker than what is common on the Glamour Isles. His dark-brown hair is kept short in the manner of those who live in the country, free of any powders or lotions to accent it. He carries himself with confidence and has the look of someone who takes his problems head on. His quirky smile is inviting but there is a pain behind his eyes that is equally uninviting.

His clothes suggest a more urban background. They are well-made and durable, obviously designed for function as well as appearance. He wears Avalonian cavalry boots that come to mid-thigh, dark trousers with pockets - the height of fashion these days - and a snugly fitting coat cut for warmth and freedom of movement. On his belt is a cavalry sabre and a long dirk from the Highland Marches. The wooden handle of a pistol peeks out of his right boot.

Personality: On the surface, William is an amiable man. He is quick to spare a kind word or to laugh at a joke. He is approachable, frank in his words, and sincere in his actions. Even at the best of times though, a careful observer will notice a haunted look in his eyes. Under duress, the mask will often slip and whatever haunted his eyes before will take over his entire demeanor. When that happens, his sense of humor fades, his kindness and approachability flee, and any peace-loving individuals should discover they have business elsewhere.
  • Want: (fame) Will is determined to make a name for himself. His chief pursuit is finishing his probation with the Order of the Rose and Cross. Once he does that, he feels that the sky is the limit.
  • Need: (individuality) The Avalon way is to make a splash and make sure people are watching when you do. Will has been taught that, but it really isn’t who he is. He needs to deny his Avalonian upbringing and learn to be okay with getting things done without so much pomp.

There's a TLDR version at the endBackground:
Part I
William was born and raised in Gwynyfrd, a small village a day’s walk north of Carleon. His father was an ensign serving in the queen’s navy and thus was rarely home. His mother and the rest of the village raised him to be a proper Avalonian. On his ninth birthday, he was playing in the woods outside the village. When he saw a bush shake near him, he threw a rock at it to scare away whatever animal was approaching. Instead of a wolf or badger, out of the bush jumped an angry Sidhe.

“Since today is yer birthday and ye are three times three, I give ye three curses and a gift,” the faerie said. “Ye shall be cursed to wander all the days of your life. No home shall abide yer presence for more than a year and a day. Second, love shall evade ye fer ever. And therd, gold will slep through yer fingers fer ever more. My gift is thes… ye shall have as much time as yev already lived before my curse shall stalk ye.”

William ran home and told everyone what had happened. There was much concern at first but, over time, more pressing matters caught people’s attention and the curse was forgotten, even by William himself. Shortly after his eighteenth birthday, word came that his father had been lost at sea. While it was a blow, William’s mother soon received a death benefit from the crown. The payment was part of Queen Elaine’s program to get better sailors. The families of officers, even low-ranking ones, received a payment from the government for death in the line of duty.

The incident reminded Will of his supposed curse, but life aboard ship was known to be dangerous. And, with the money from the crown, life was still comfortable for him and his mother. Months later, danger struck closer to home, but again there was good mixed with bad. After an autumn shower, William was almost run down by a carriage passing through the village. The muddy soil grabbed at his boots and prevented him from getting clear in time. At the last second, the driver turned a hair to the left and William dodged to the right. He was struck by the shoulder of one of the horses but avoided being trampled.

The carriage belonged to the renowned swordsman, Michael Braddock. Embarrassed by what had almost happened, the gentleman offered to make amends by helping Will get accepted in the Donovan Academy in Carleon. On his nineteenth birthday, he left the home he had known all his life for the big city.

Part II
Moving to Carleon began a new chapter in William’s life. Gone were the quaint holiday festivals and lazy summer evenings. Every face was a stranger and to the young man’s eye, it seemed as though if you weren’t a predator, you were prey. The first rule he learned was to always pay attention to your surroundings. In his first few months, he lost many coin purses to pickpockets due to his rural sensibilities.

He began his training at The Academy and settled in to his new way of life. There were, of course, many people there. Michael Braddock helped William adjust to life in Carleon and at the Academy. As William developed as a swordsman, he was often paired with Howard Russel, an Innishman with a fencing style similar to Will’s. Both men were quick with a blade but covered very little ground when they sparred. The joke was that those two could fight in a broom closet without being inconvenienced.

Not everyone at the Academy was as friendly as Michael and Howard though. Will was constantly at odds with Daniel Picard from Montaigne. Things just seemed to come easily to Daniel. He was from a poor duchy in Montaigne but had almost done the impossible by escaping his old life. Not only was he already an accomplished fencer, but he was also self-educated and popular with the ladies. To William, it seemed that Daniel was always just a little bit better at everything. It’s true that Picard was slightly older and was learning his third dueling style, but Will didn’t care. More than once, a simple practice session ended with blood drawn when those two crossed swords… and it was never Daniel’s blood.

As time went by, William thought about his curse more and more. He tried to pretend it was just a childhood fantasy, but it kept intruding on his life. It bothered him the most when he had to move, which happened with seasonal regularity. Each time there was an innocent-seeming reason, but he never stayed in any one place more than a year.

A part of his mind argued against the existence of the curse. It pointed out that every time he was forced to relocate, his situation got better. How could that be a curse? He got away from a bad roommate, he upgraded his accommodations, something was always better. His fellow students noticed and remarked on how he was like a stray cat. Howard, always willing to embarrass his friend, started calling him Stray William and the name stuck.

Towards the end of Stray Will’s training, the issue of Margret Reid and the Bonny Swans was a hot topic. When Will first heard of it, he was excited. A duelist trained in Montaigne and returned to the Glamour Isles? Yes, please! However, Will was shocked right down to his toes to hear other students and even instructors speak against them.

Never one to be silent on an issue, Will allied himself with the Swans in particular and the idea of female duelists in general. His opponents brought up tradition and propriety. Will told them that tradition could jump off a cliff and more, skilled duelists was the height of propriety regardless of their gender.

Will’s fiery rhetoric was unpolished and offensive to some, but he didn’t care. He alienated most of the Academy then, but Howard and Michael stood by his side. In fact, shortly afterwards, Michael started grooming Will for the Order of the Rose and Cross. The old Master knew it took conviction to make it as a Knight of the Order, which was exactly what he’d seen from Will.

Part III
Tougher and leaner than when he arrived in Carleon, William graduated from the Donovan Academy. All the cuts and bruises he’d taken over the years knocked the doe-eyed country look from his face. He’s become more serious and has a slightly haunted look about him. He is a full member of the Duelist’s Guild but something of an embarrassment to the Academy. Going against the popular opinion of the Bonnie Swans has made him a black sheep in their eyes. Nevertheless, work has been plentiful, only interrupted by the occasional assignment from the Order of the Rose and Cross.

He and his friend Howard have taken to patronizing a guild tavern called The Campaigner. Over pints they would tell bold lies about their past and bolder predictions of their futures. During one such conversation, Howard told Will about a Vodacce Fate Witch he’d discovered in Carleon. Even though she was in hiding, she was willing to ply her trade if the price was right.

Stray Will left The Campaigner with his mind abuzz but by the time he finished talking to Francesca Guidone, he was positively stunned. The Vodacce woman was able to confirm that he carried a curse. More importantly though, William found out that he was the embodiment of Ceolmund, Elilodd’s Knight Protector. As he walked home, he tried to digest what this meant. Unfortunately, he forgot the first thing he’d learned when he moved to the city. Distracted by Francesca’s news, William failed to notice the ruffians who were closing in on him. Suddenly, a mass of sweaty humanity rushed him into an alley. He flailed about to no avail as he was carried deeper into the darkness. Just as his hand felt the comforting grip of his sword, something hard impacted the back of his head. His next conscious thought was waking up to the steady motion of a ship at sea.

TLDR Version
William grew up in a small village in Avalon. As a boy he was cursed by a Sidhe but the curse went wrong and it ended up being a blessing as well as a curse. As a young adult, Will entered the Donovan Academy, became a skilled swordsman, and is being groomed for the Order of the Rose and Cross by his mentor, Michael Braddock. After graduating from the Academy, the tasks Will is being given by the Order have gotten more strenuous, such as bodyguarding and information gathering. Will just found out about his Knight Errant background from a Vodacce Fate Witch who might be able to help him with his curse. After leaving her, he was ambushed by slavers and now finds himself on their ship, bound for who-knows-where.

Personal Goals: Until a couple of days ago, the main thing on William’s plate was to finish his trial with the Order of the Rose and Cross. To do that all he had to do was complete the tasks they gave him and live his life with courage and generosity. Now, all that’s been knocked into a cocked hat. He has discovered a Vodacce witch who might be able to help him with his curse, found out he's an embodiment of a Knight, and been kidnapped by slavers. Will's goals (his "want") are to untangle all this and make a name for himself as a duelist.

Player Goals: After reading Nations of Thea, I’m interested in tackling some modern-day social issues through a different lens. Unlike some of his colleagues, Will is all for female duelists. He’d do his absolute best to win a fight against one, just like he would with any other opponent but, at the same time, he’d fight tooth and nail for their right to have their place at the table.

His main thing is dueling and (Finesse plus Athletics) antics. After that, he is designed to help other characters shine. If the group is in a scene that doesn’t require his main skills, he can toss around bonuses to the other players and let them have the limelight. I'm sure I'll eventually add Camaraderie too.

Contacts
  • Michael Braddock: a Master at the Donovan Academy in Carleon. After Michael’s carriage almost ran William over, the swordsman made amends by helping the villager get a scholarship at the Academy. Over time, a relationship developed, and Michael has become a mentor as well.
  • Francesca Guidone: an exiled Fate Witch from Vodacce. Just before getting kidnapped by slavers, Will went to see her about his curse. He found out about it and about his Glamour sorcery but, in return for her help, she wants William to get rid of some agents who want to take her back to Vodacce.
  • Daniel Picard: a young man from Montaigne, he is just a little bit more than William in almost every way. His beginnings are a little more humble, he is a little (maybe a lot) better duelist, Donovan being the third style he’s mastered, and he is infuriatingly smug about it.
  • Howard Russel: an Innish swordsman and fellow alumnus of The Donovan Academy. Will and Howard graduated at the same time and are taking their first steps together into the world of being duelists. Howard is a simple man, wanting only to drink, carouse, and enjoy life in the moment. He is a source of good cheer, solid Innish wisdom, and a swift kick in the pants, whichever William needs the most at the time.

Last edited by Attitude; Mar 12th, 2021 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Finish Application
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 09:10 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
DBCowboy DBCowboy
Awesome. I will try to have a write up put together this weekend; been reading up on 2nd ed as I hadn't really done so since I'd gotten them.

Thinking a hotheaded Highland aristocrat to be the noble mentioned in the campaign backstory unless someone else has their heart set on the role.

Last edited by DBCowboy; Feb 26th, 2021 at 09:12 AM.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 10:00 AM
Is Everything.

Tools
User Statistics
I specifically wanted to avoid the noble role, have at it. I've had to do a lot of reading too. I have a couple of the 2e books but they've just been gathering dust for years.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 11:11 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Seems like there is a lot of us who have been waiting for the right moment to play.

I purposefully gave a decent amount of time before the deadline so you could really dive in on the material ahead of time. If someone is worried about just submitting a noble app I will allow you to submit one for a noble and one for an alternate option if you would like.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 02:49 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
DBCowboy DBCowboy
Nah I think noble could be fun, I like the image of him I'm building in my head so far.

One question though, not that I want to build the character sheet but so I understand how backgrounds would fit to bring him to his current situation...

I understand I'll pick 2 backgrounds for the character . Aristocrat seemed appropriate for one and I'm considering what others might work for his 2nd. Thought about Knight Errant but don't think we'd need more than one in the group. Is there any concerns on ones that would not work?

Given the description in text about Highland nobles being involved in work (not sitting in their mannor being dainty like those prissy Montaigns, bah!) I could see him having anything from Farm Kid so one of the sailing professions especially if his estate is on one of the islands in the channel.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 03:39 PM

Tools
User Statistics
I don’t think there is any that won’t work as long as it fits the narrative you are creating. The Highland nobles very much are of a different cloth that the classic depicted elite class of nobles. I very much could see them having a more down to earth background but on the same count they are still the most respected leaders of their clans. Take that and run with it.