RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Mar 24th, 2021, 09:25 AM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8119
taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50
Ok so it looks like we have a long standing city state, likely in a geopolitical arena similar to Italy during the Renaissance, who is just starting to transfer power from a singular royal family to a ruling council republic (like Florence eventually became and Venice was during the Renaissance). Like Florence/Venice/Genoa it has survived and thrived not because of military might but from acting as a trading and, possibly, naval power; using alliances and, possibly, mercenaries to protect itself during major conflicts.

If I might suggest Parsantium sounds more like a Duchy rather then a Kingdom, our so called King more similar to a Duke then a King. Despite what many might think there were actually several times within history when Duchys had independence from kingdoms who were categorized by being a collection of lands all owing loyalty to a King.

Does this sound about right? (Note these similarities to Italy are only meant to be as far as the political and economic structures of the time, not as a cultural basis for the city as you have specified Byzantine and India for that inspiration)

P.S. - Will magical crafters (those with the appropriate feats & spells) be paying full price for magical items they could have created during their careers at character creation?

Even if we are not using Ultimate Campaign for it's rules can we use it for price basis if we are looking to purchase properties like workshops or guild buildings?

Last edited by taleteller50; Mar 24th, 2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 12:43 PM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8119
taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50
-Name: Dalin Marsik Balima Pontis
Race: Samsaran
Class: Cleric 3/Wizard (Arcane Crafter)3/Mytic Theurge 5

Description:

Background:

Your Role: Financial Advisor, Banker, and Security Expert

Player Wants: There are a few things I'm hoping to get out of this game, the primary being an interesting story with deep characters and plot lines. Now that is true for any game so for this one specifically, with this character, I'd like to explore some of the financial concepts common to the cultural timeframe the game will be taking place in. Of course such practices will not show their true potential within such a setting but it will still be interesting to see if they can be used to generate a 'profit'. Also, I'm looking to see how far I can take the idea of magical security within such a game. How safe is a Bank really when there are people capable of teleporting into areas, loading up everything in a bag of holding, and disappearing like a puff of smoke. Let us test these limits.

Your Assistant:

RP Sample

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Testiment of Aurum.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	90466  

Last edited by taleteller50; Apr 14th, 2021 at 12:43 AM.
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 02:38 PM
Simply Doomed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1557
Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by taleteller50 View Post
Ok so it looks like we have a long standing city state, likely in a geopolitical arena similar to Italy during the Renaissance, who is just starting to transfer power from a singular royal family to a ruling council republic (like Florence eventually became and Venice was during the Renaissance). Like Florence/Venice/Genoa it has survived and thrived not because of military might but from acting as a trading and, possibly, naval power; using alliances and, possibly, mercenaries to protect itself during major conflicts. If I might suggest Parsantium sounds more like a Duchy rather then a Kingdom, our so called King more similar to a Duke then a King. Despite what many might think there were actually several times within history when Duchys had independence from kingdoms who were categorized by being a collection of lands all owing loyalty to a King. Does this sound about right? (Note these similarities to Italy are only meant to be as far as the political and economic structures of the time, not as a cultural basis for the city as you have specified Byzantine and India for that inspiration)
That sounds like what Parsantium actually is, however they still call themselves a kingdom to lend legitimacy and weight to their name. Venice is basically the vibe I'm going for here, the original splat book had Byzantine and India for inspiration but I really don't know enough about the culture and history there to run with that. I'll be taking chuncks of the book, stuff like the criminal underworld and the history of the city are really interesting, but the actual inspiration and gods and such I'll be changing.

Quote:
P.S. - Will magical crafters (those with the appropriate feats & spells) be paying full price for magical items they could have created during their careers at character creation?
Yeah, full price. Although anything you'd like to craft shouldn't be a problem in game with the resources you'll have at your disposal

Quote:
Even if we are not using Ultimate Campaign for it's rules can we use it for price basis if we are looking to purchase properties like workshops or guild buildings?
That's prefectly acceptable
Old Mar 25th, 2021, 12:24 PM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4406
Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach
Currently tinkering with an idea but not sure how to implement it. Just posting interest for now as I reread other people's ideas.

How do the local druids feel about Parsantium's growth? Additionally, as a GM, how often do you require Handle Animal checks when a druid is interacting with their animal companion?
Icereach#8108 | Gost, a campaign setting

Last edited by Icereach; Mar 25th, 2021 at 01:53 PM.
Old Mar 25th, 2021, 03:01 PM
Simply Doomed

Tools
User Statistics
Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icereach View Post
Currently tinkering with an idea but not sure how to implement it. Just posting interest for now as I reread other people's ideas.

How do the local druids feel about Parsantium's growth? Additionally, as a GM, how often do you require Handle Animal checks when a druid is interacting with their animal companion?
There's tension, but no more so than anywhere else. Parsantium uses druids to help maintain solid crop output that the city relies on, so the royal family tries hard not to go out of their way to offend them. The druids in turn recriprocate the respect by helping generate resources for the city in an eco-friendly way. The tension comes from the fact that this is often times not quite as much or as fast as the city needs

As for handle animal, I'd only call for it if your asking something that is completely contrary to the animals nature or your own alignment, something that's likely to seriously hurt or kill you or your companion, or something that would generally be beyond an animals understanding. Other than that, I'd treat them almost like a familiar
Old Mar 25th, 2021, 11:19 PM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach
Good deal.

Old Mar 25th, 2021, 11:54 PM
Simply Doomed

Tools
User Statistics
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 12:06 AM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 01:03 PM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
The stone wolf.
Name: Argady, born of Blood and Stone
Race: Skinwalker (Witchwolf)
Class: Druid (Menhir Savant)

A man between worlds.
Physical Description:
It is taboo among werekin to mate with each other for one simple reason. Often when two people with the genetic curse running strongly in their veins couple, they produce offspring known as a metis. The child comes into the world trapped between their civilized ancestry and their primal one. Their natural state is one similar in appearance to their parents when transformed by the moon, and they only achieve a human form through much effort and guidance. This is the case with Argady, born of blood and stone, last surviving descendant of Victrus.
right-aligned image

Tall, nimble, and not lacking for muscle, the man named "stone wolf" in the secret language of the druids can be a frightening encounter on a dark night. With sand colored hair thinning with age and soft grey eyes, Argady's human form is indistinguishable in a crowd. When he returns to his natural state, however, people tend to take notice - and grow fearful. From head to toe his robust frame is covered in a thick pelt of dark grey -nearly black, even- fur that fades to a lighter tone around his chest, check, and down the length of his lupine muzzle. From the tips of the sharply peaked ears resting atop his head to the wicked canines peeking from his dog-like lips, Argady resembles nothing less than a wolf standing upright on two legs, though his face has a mobility to it no natural animal could hope to reproduce. In either form, however, he is most distinguished by his hooded robes stitched with an image of the stone plinth he gives his life in service of protecting.

Personality:
Argady is a curious mixture of passionate belief and careful wisdom. Once set on a course of action he can be stubborn and hard to turn from his path. In fact, Shale of Evergarden once spent several seasons trying to convince Argady that returning to Parsantium would be a mistake. After the death of their companions Jackdaw and Piksel, it became hard to argue against her point. He cares for the little people, having been one himself, but he does so in a distant fashion and with an ulterior motive in mind. He is firmly convinced that the end of the world is neigh and that only his vision for the future can see Parsantium through rough water to emerge on safer shores. He's the type of man that meets conflict head on and thus sometimes suffers when playing the deeper games of politics and social misdirection. While he wisely avoids initiating conflict, he finds it nearly impossible to back down when directly challenged.

Animal Companion:
Were it not for her unusual size and obvious wildness, the wolf often plodding at Argady's heels offers little worth commenting on. She answers to no name in any civilized tongue and rarely shows interest in people outside of the stone wolf's limited personal circle. Unlike her bipedal companion, the wolf's fur is a soft tan criss-crossed with the scars she's taken following Argady's chosen path. Few people aside from Shale and the deceased members of the werekin's former party have had the opportunity to gauge her personality - those in the know, however, bribe her incessantly with a variety of sweets that can't be good for her teeth.

Born for destiny.

A developing nation.
Your Idea: The end of the world is coming and Parsantium is ground zero. I envision a city state transformed into a stronghold against extraplanar invaders. To accomplish this, the people of Parasantium must become the strongest, smartest, and wealthiest across all the known planes. When the apocalypse happens, be it during Argady's lifetime or long after his death, Parsantium and the Cairn of Convergence will be ready.

The Mechanics: Argady and Shale plan to transform the city at the crossroads through social welfare, trade, and military prowess. By harnessing the menhir and the disgruntled druids, they plan to create endless, renewable sources of food. Next they plan on overhauling the city's healthcare so that no citizen ever suffers the ravages of illness. A well fed, healthy population can then turn its sights on the two supporting arms of a strong military: education and martial prowess. They plan to recruit scholars and generals from all the planes and give them places of honor within Parsantium's walls. Finally, they'll rely on their agricultural prowess to dominate trade, always with the goal of establishing powerful alliances and creating new means of exploring the worlds just beyond their reach.

Your Assistant:
Shale of Evergarden grew up a slave in her namesake city's flesh markets. Prized from a young age for her innate magical ability and natural charm, she passed through many owners' hands before she was instrumental in helping Argady, along with Jackdaw, overcome a band of mercenary highwaymen. The two were instantly infatuated with each other and Argady secured her release with the funds from their successful mission. Even after the passion of their brief romance faded, Shale remained with Argady and quickly proved her worth as a mediator and arcanist of no small skill.

What Argady lacks in social settings and traditional learning Shale makes up for in spades. Undoubtedly smarter than her companion, Shale has used her charm and wit to worm her way into centers of learning in every city Argady's party passed through during their long exile. She's a natural born mediator with a friendly, even-keeled personality, and serves as the genius behind implementing Argady's long seeing plans for the future. She's also the only point of contact between Argady and the quarrelsome druids of Erastil.

Your Role: Argady is one of only a handful of living beings that can manipulate the energies of the menhir directly and he guards this access zealously. While Shale is the "how" of Parsantium's future, Argady is the "why". He'll serve as the voice in council reminding the others that the end is coming and survival is paramount, for the sake of the world.

What do you, the player, want?: I'd really like to see a massive, large scale battle between an aging Argady and some sort of extraplanar conquerors, be they something as mundane as the gith or something as wild as the forces of a Cthulu-esque being bent on total destruction. By that point I'd love to see Parsantium as so advanced magically and technologically that they control the skies through airships, gunpowder, and arcane might.

RP Sample:

Last edited by Icereach; Mar 29th, 2021 at 07:51 PM.
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 11:19 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Behelit Behelit
I have two questions!

1.) Is slavery legal in Parsantium?

2.) My character's grand plan relies on being able to use occult rituals (specifically, the Apotheosis rituals) to eventually become a devil.

https://aonprd.com/OccultRituals.asp...t%20Apotheosis

Because of the long in-game time frame involved in using these rituals (there are gaps up to a year or more between uses) versus the planned one update a week format for this particular game, I don't see there being a way to get anywhere near the end goal of completing the Fourth Apotheosis without this game lasting a real-life decade. Is there some way I could start with some of the rituals already complete, or perhaps we could reduce the time it takes to move from one ritual to the next? I'm not looking to immediately start play as a half-fiend or full devil since you've nixed starting off with templates and it would rob me of any sense of achievement, but I'm hoping we can find some kind of compromise so my character's goals can actually be attainable. If not, I have other character ideas I could pursue!
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 11:20 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1452
Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri
Interesting... Sounds like this city needs the greatest carnival in the many planes!

Laarth -The Last of the Hunters
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 11:27 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3525
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
I see some conflicts between pcs coming.....
Old Mar 27th, 2021, 01:52 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Behelit Behelit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekr34 View Post
I should hope not! What kind of cruel PC would have a problem with another PC feeding and sheltering the poor and downtrodden and providing them with aid and moral guidance in times of need? The People's Temple of the Nine is here to help. We just want to see the people of Parsantium fulfill their ambitions both great and small. All we ask in return is that they sign on the dotted line.

Last edited by Behelit; Mar 27th, 2021 at 01:55 AM.
Old Mar 27th, 2021, 06:27 AM
Simply Doomed

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behelit View Post
I have two questions!

1.) Is slavery legal in Parsantium?
In Parsantium? No. But there are cities out there that run on slave economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behelit View Post
2.) My character's grand plan relies on being able to use occult rituals (specifically, the Apotheosis rituals) to eventually become a devil.

https://aonprd.com/OccultRituals.asp...t%20Apotheosis

Because of the long in-game time frame involved in using these rituals (there are gaps up to a year or more between uses) versus the planned one update a week format for this particular game, I don't see there being a way to get anywhere near the end goal of completing the Fourth Apotheosis without this game lasting a real-life decade. Is there some way I could start with some of the rituals already complete, or perhaps we could reduce the time it takes to move from one ritual to the next? I'm not looking to immediately start play as a half-fiend or full devil since you've nixed starting off with templates and it would rob me of any sense of achievement, but I'm hoping we can find some kind of compromise so my character's goals can actually be attainable. If not, I have other character ideas I could pursue!
Whoooooo boy. That's...thats one hell of a path you've chosen my friend, pun intended. So, first off I'd consider the fact that more than likely everyone else in the party will be opposed to you if you do this. Like, I don't think anyone's goal is going to line up with this and I think some party memeber might actively be gunning to oppose this depending on who I choose. But if you're committed to this path, I see no reason why you couldn't have already done the first ritual and be on your way to the second. As for reducing the time, I wouldn't say you could right out the gate but it could be quested for. There has to be some artefact or means out there to help ascension...if you're willing to pay the price
Old Mar 27th, 2021, 10:16 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 38106
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekr34 View Post
Time for Preacherwolf to run a good game and an evil game

Let your voice be heard!