Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula
Odyssey of The Dragonlords

Closed
Game NameOdyssey of The Dragonlords
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeGreek but not Greece
FlavourHEROIC FANTASY
Plot Summary
Even the Gods are Bound by Oaths and Prophecy....

Thylea
500 CE

For thousands of years, the Titans were the lords of this land. The Dragonlords drove back their armies; then fell to Sydon's hand.

Five Gods from the heavens came, as the Oracle had foreseen. And a sacred oath was sealed with the blood of the Silver Queen.

Five hundred years have passed, but the peace has been in vain. The time has come for war in Thylea once again...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can get the Player's Guide for free from Drivethrurpg at this link.

This adventure goes to about 16th level.So don't apply unless you are in it for the long haul.

Char Creation#Players: 4-6
Starting Level: 1st
Stats: rstat2 (default to Point Buy if you are unhappy with the roll).
Wealth: Die roll
Books Allowed: Any official WotC but must in keeping with Greek theme (ie no samurai).
Deadline: End of March but may be delayed if not enough variety in applications.

Application
  • Application Deadline: March 26th
  • Intended Role: Tank, Dps, Healing, Traps, etc.
  • Name:
  • Race:
  • Class:
  • Epic Path: There will only be one each of epic paths. So if three players pick The Lost One then 2 are automatically out of the game.
  • Background:
  • Description:
  • History:

You may apply with more than one character but each must have a different epic path. It could even be the same character reimagined on different paths to epic glory.

Such a PITY YOU'RE TOO YOUNG TO learn THE EXTENT Of your POWERS! AND such a tragedy YOU WON'T HAVE TIME

Last edited by Shula; Apr 5th, 2021 at 01:51 AM.
Old Mar 19th, 2021, 11:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2734
Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of
ApplicationApplication Status: In Progress
Intended Role: DPS Ranged
Name: Agrius "Agri"
Race: Centaur
Class: Ranger
Epic Path: Thr Dragonslayer
Background: Oldwood Scout
Description: to be added
History: To Be Added.

Last edited by Howling Winds of; Mar 20th, 2021 at 02:51 AM.
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 07:56 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1689
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
Tavros
right-aligned image

Intended Role: Tank
Name: Tavros
Race: Minotaur (from Ravnica)
Class: Barbarian
Epic Path: The Doomed One (or none)
Background: Folk hero

Description: Big, muscular and resolute, Tavros looks very intimidating, a part from when he's hungry, in which case he looks like the most adorable calf you've ever seen, with those big supplicant eyes. He usually wears very little more than a couple off shoulder pads and a loincloth. His humanoid part has short fur in shades of brown while the shaggy longer hair in the upper part is a deep black. His hide is marked by many scars that he shows off with pride, and his great axe is a crude weapon with a lot of stains, testament to the many times it was used in gory ventures.

History: In the big estate of the Thelios, as per tradition when a sacred bull died, one of its calfs was elected as its successor. When Seraphis became the sacred bull, the divination done on its behaviour brought enormous opulence to the Thelios. Cerenthia, the pregnant wife of the patriarch, began worshipping Seraphis like a full-on god, forcing the workers and the rest of the family to create and attend special ceremonies for the bull. One god became extremely offended by the woman's behavior and cursed the child she was carrying. After an excruciating birth, she discovered that her son was a horrible monster akin to the minotaur race.

Despite of the backlash of the rest of the family, Cerenthia defended her ugliest son, considering him a gift from Seraphis. But when a goddess demanded the sacrifice of the last born son to celebrate the wine festival, she was forced to make a choice. Incapable of killing her beloved 'demigod' son but knowing he couldn't escape its fate, she abandoned the three year old monster in the wilderness away from the estate, assuming that if it was his destiny to escape the death sentence, he would do so, otherwise, he would have perished, satisfying the divine sacrifice. Unfortunately the goddess didn't see it this way and had the disobeying family slaughtered.

Tavros, instead, was found by a family of fishermen, returning home from a long trip to the capital. They adopted the young calf-child and brought him up as their own. Despite his good will, Tavros was quite terrible at knitting fishing nets and only passable at the rest of the job: too impatient and clumsy (also his cloves really didn't agree with the boat floorings).

The minotaur's moment to shine happened when the sea snakes came to steal from the boats returning from the sea, attacking in shallow waters. Tavros was brought up to accept this as an usual occurrence at the beginning of the summer, before the monsters reproductive cycle. But one time his family's boat had an exceptional haul, and the adolescent bull couldn't bear to see it disappearing into some overgrown eels. As the others jumped off board to save themselves, Tavros, stood there with a hatchet, defending the fish with all the strength he had. That night the village dined with sea snake meat.

So it happened that a month per year, Tavros job was to wait on a raft on the border between the deep end and the shallow waters, ready to jump in and onto the fishing boats to protect the village only resource. Year after year, the attacks diminished until they stopped completely, as the sea snakes changed their habits for good. After years of being the village's hero, there was nothing more to do for him there, so after saying goodbye to his adoptive family, Tavros journeyed on, looking for fortune. He was often shunned by other villages in a manner that he never expected, spending many nights crying and regretting his decision while sleeping in the cold woods. But luckily some villages had problems that only violence could resolve and he soon learned to manage his expectations and behavior towards his clients. "Tavros the horned adventurer" was out accumulating glory.

Mixed in a tiny bit of ancient Egyptian customs, hope it's ok.. if chosen I'll photoshop a better image for Tavros

Last edited by Ursinorum; Mar 21st, 2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 09:04 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10460
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Nara
right-aligned image

Intended Role: Dps, Traps
Name: Nara
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Rogue
Epic Path: The Haunted One
Background: Noble
Description: Nara's focus and goal is singular, as such everything about her reflects this. She wears and carries only that which she needs to complete her task. Dark clothes and leather armor allow her to move unseen as she stalks her next target. Short blades and daggers now adorn her person as did the jewelry from an all but forgotten time. Her hair is kept long, though no longer styled in the latest Thylean fashion. Instead, it is kept in a tight braid that usually hangs over a shoulder. The only frivolous item adorning her is a red snood worn around her neck, originally a blanket taken from the room of her child she was told she never had, now worn as both a reminder of what was and a promise of what will be.
HistoryMy dearest Kal,

I write to you now, knowing that you may never see this, as a means of keeping my sanity, and because there is no other way for which I can speak to anyone about the love we once shared. Each day I come closer to discerning yours and Calix's fate. My heart is bent on nothing else, but if I am truthful, I also fear this as well. I fear that you will no longer love the woman I have become or hate me for the things that I have done.

My privilege taken from me, I found myself with little else but a burning pain for what I had lost and a rage against those that took it. These things have given me the strength and the drive to push forward, but they have also set me on a path of darkness. Blood has been spilled by my hands and I know I will do it again before this is done. But, what scares me the most is that I no longer care. I feel nothing for those whose lives I take, my only thought being on what they can provide to bring me closer to you and my son.

I do not know where my path will take me, only that I will not stop until I take back what was taken from me. If that means burning the world down around me...so be it.

Your loving wife,
Nara

Last edited by Silent Rain; Apr 2nd, 2021 at 03:43 PM.
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 11:42 AM
Grey Pilgrim

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 407
Wrathryder Wrathryder Wrathryder Wrathryder Wrathryder
Castalia
left-aligned image

Intended Role: Healing, Support
Name: Castalia
Race: Thylean Nymph - Nereid
Class: Cleric
Epic Path: The Gifted One
Background: Acolyte – The Temple of the Oracle
Description:
Castalia has been an acolyte of the Oracle for as long as she can remember. She has always been treated as if she were special. Gifted, they told her. But she doesn’t feel any more gifted than the other priestesses. She doesn’t remember her family or her life before the temple. All she knows is that Oracle deemed her special, long before her birth. Destined for great things. Castalia remains doubtful, but she trusts her patron and knows that prophecy is a fickle thing, it will always lead you where you least expect.
History:
Castalia was born in the Forgotten Sea, but travelled inland as a very young child to join the priestesses at the Temple of the Oracle in Estoria. She remembers very little from this early time in her life. Whispers of prophecy. Tears stinging her face. A kiss from someone she barely remembers. And always the word Dragonlord. A word without meaning or importance to a small child from the sea.

Later, she became a favorite of the Oracle, who groomed her to learn the lore of the dragons and the Dragonlords while her peers played in the sea and divined the future. Castalia didn’t feel special. She just felt left out. As she matured into adulthood, she put all of her focus on learning the Dragonlord lore and honing her skills as a healer and fighter. The Oracle has become the closest thing to a mother that she has, and she will not let her down. She needs to prove to herself that the Oracle’s faith in her is not misplaced. She will find a dragon egg. She will become a Dragonlord.

War approaches Thylea, and the winds of change stir the waters. Castalia knows that the time has come for her to leave the Temple and meet her destiny. She just hopes that she will be brave enough to meet it.
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 03:24 PM
Kaor!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 748
Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693
ApplicationApplication Status: WiP
right-aligned image
Eylana Nixios

Name: Eylana Nixios
Intended Role: Tank, DPS
Race: Human
Class: Fighter
Epic Path: The Demi God
Background: Warrior of Mytros

Description: Eylana is a tall, heavily muscled woman with green eyes and black hair. Typically wearing armor and carrying two swords, one Kopis and one Xiphos, she is both quick to laugh and quick to anger. Her emotional state is readily apparent on her face, which is usually either sporting a smile or a scowl and rarely anything else. The swords are trophies that she took from fallen opponents in the past.

History: Eylana was born in the city of Mytros to a legendary and beautiful vocalist and harpist courted by Pythor himself. Ophea, Eylana’s mother, would never confirm it to Eylana before she vanished, but it was openly spoken of throughout the city that her father was in fact Pythor, and Eylana’s hot temper seemed to confirm it. When Eylana was still very young, her father Pythor had left Mytros and returned to Estoria to finish working on a anew weapon, and while he was gone, Ophea was taken by Hexia, a mighty green dragon and the sworn enemy of Pythor.

Pythor had been working on a mighty rod to employ in his conflict with Hexia but had failed to complete it, and Hexia, no longer fearing Pythor, had taken his greatest love, leaving Eylana alone in Mytros. Pythor, demoralized by his failure to finish his work and the loss to Hexia, took to drinking to excess and only found out about the disappearance of Ophea almost a month after she was taken by Hexia. Taken in and raised by the Centurions of Mytros following the loss of her mother and abandonment by her father, Eylana displayed a natural aptitude for the martial arts, and quickly learned to wield twin swords to devastating effect, and achieving a degree of fame in Mytros for both her martial prowess and her familial heritage.

The loss of Ophea accelerated Pythor’s fall into drunken debauchery, which had originated with despair at his failure to complete a mighty weapon to deal with Hexia. In her youth, the Oracle prophesied that Eylana had a great destiny in front of her. She would be the one chosen to complete her father’s three failed tasks: rescue Pythor’s great love, her mother Ophea, defeat the green dragon Hexia, and finish her father’s greatest weapon, the Rod of Lordly Might. If she can accomplish this and complete these three tasks, she will raise her father out of the depths of despair and be able to join him in the Pantheon, or so the prophesy from her youth said.

Eylana has arrived in response to a call from the Oracle for her to assist other mortals in attempting to stave off the Twin Titans.

Last edited by Candide3693; Mar 21st, 2021 at 11:24 AM.
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 03:41 PM
Gran calavera eléctrica

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 423
mrtowne mrtowne mrtowne mrtowne mrtowne
Application
right-aligned image

Intended Role: Xena DPS
Name: Lyssa
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Ranger (Amazon)
Epic Path: Thr Doomed One
Background: Outlander
Description: Lyssa is lean and hungry looking with her skin tanned bronze and her long black hair most often bound up and out of the way. Well muscled and athletic, she bears a handful of scars on her arms and legs from her training and her battles.
History: Lyssa was the daughter of an Amazonian mystic. Her mother despaired at the cruel twist of fate that her daughter would be born under such a dismal sign. Not content to leave her daughter to her fate she was determined to appease the gods and set her on a better path, but instead vanished one night and never returned.

It is not the Amazon way to abandon one of their own, and so the tribe raised her as a warrior as was their way. But suspicion and ill luck followed her everywhere and Lyssa had few friends and was seen as a burden despite taking to her lessons as well as any other Amazon. When the cult took over Themis and her people fled Lyssa was a girl of barely 12 and as newcomers to the lands ruled by men much of the blame for their misfortune was laid at her feet. All ever Lyssa wanted was acceptance from her sisters but it was forever out of her reach, and as soon as she was able to strike out on her own she did so.

Her contacts with civilization have been few and far between since then, but she has heeded the call of the Oracle and wants more than anything to escape her fate, avenge herself and her mother, and perhaps find the acceptance among her sisters she has longed for.

Last edited by mrtowne; Mar 21st, 2021 at 02:31 AM.
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 11:20 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
FANTASTIC!! I've been waiting forever for a game where I can actually play a medusa

Application
right-aligned image
art by JUN CHIU
Application Status: Complete
Intended Role: Support/Control and possibly Face
Name: Cythia
Race: Thylean Medusa
Class: Sorceress
Epic Path: The Cursed One
Background: Hermit
Description: Cythia is a tall, slender woman. Her movements somehow appear both awkward and gangly, while at the same time serenely graceful. Her heart-shaped face frames a warm and inviting smile. Her captivating eyes gleam with a knowledge far beyond her apparent years, iridescent magenta irises with slightly elongated pupils floating in a sea of gold. Of course, even those breathtaking eyes are never the first thing people notice - that would be the ever shifting nest of emerald vipers that crown her head.

Despite her somewhat unsettling appearance and her cursed nature, Cythia maintains a surprisingly irrepressible spirit. It seems as if nothing can shake her optimism or her belief in the fundamental goodness of people. She can be a little shy and socially awkward as a result of spending much of her life in isolation, hiding from those who label her a monster, but this has done little to dampen her desire for friendship and companionship. She is quick to trust others (provided they don’t try to kill her on sight), often to the point of oblivious naivete.

History: Many ages ago, when the ink with which the Oath of Peace was writ had yet to dry, and the Five were but new-fledged godlings, the Nymph Astraea served as priestess to Lutheria. The aura was famed throughout Thylea from Aresia to the Greater Steppes for her beauty and her grace. It was not long before news of her reputation reached the ears of Pythor. The First War having ended, the Lord of Battle turned his attentions from victory on the battlefield to conquests in the bedroom. Drunk on the adulation heaped upon him by mortals for his role in turning the tide of the First War, Pythor could not fathom how any woman would possibly refuse him. And yet, refuse him Astraea did, having sworn a vow of chastity in service of Lutheria.

Enraged at the blow to his pride, Pythor cursed the nymph. If she would not allow herself to be taken by him, then he would suffer no other man to look upon her. Her fabled raven locks fell from her head and coiling serpents took their place. Blood pooled within her steel-grey eyes, forever staining them. And, should any still find some semblance of beauty in her visage, the Lord of Battle decreed that all who met her gaze should find their blood run as cold as stone. Astraea found herself bereft of kith and kin, her loved ones slain by her mere presence. She wandered the wilderness alone, and her mind began to unravel from grief and despair.

Finally, the three sister goddesses took pity on the object of Pythor’s scorn. Though they would never reverse the work of one of their fellow gods, they each bestowed a boon. First, Mytros sought to ease the pain of Astraea’s isolation. The Lady of the Dawn crafted a companion for the lonely nymph, shaping a child of clay into which she breathed the Light of Life.

Next came Kyrah. She too did not wish to confront her brother directly, so she granted her boon to the newly born child. She gave to the child the gift of magic, teaching her to nudge the scales of fate and to bend the wills of men.

The last to arrive was Vallus and when she did, she saw that Astraea herself was too far gone in the grip of madness. In her wisdom she sensed that the nymph’s time was nearing its end, and she pitied the child that was soon to be orphaned, and so her gift was knowledge and connection. She tethered the mind of the young child to that of her mother with a bond so great it would even withstand the cold of death and bridge the great beyond.

Such was the birth of Cythia.

Last edited by rhaiber; Mar 22nd, 2021 at 05:13 PM.
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 11:44 PM
The Dread Lord

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1115
Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan
ApplicationApplication Status: Completed
left-aligned image

Intended Role: DPS
Name: Grexes Starfeller the 4th
Race: Leonin
Class: Paladin
Epic Path: The Lost One
Background: Knight of the Order
Description: Grexes stands just over 6'5. Coming from a long line of Starfellers, Grexes came into the world as the fourth generation blessed with the name. He has a deep crimson mane braided in some sections but not in others. His eyes an amber color almost that of fresh honey. His armor passed down generation to generations although very well kept. It is far from pristine but it wont be breaking any time soon.
History: Thylea is where Grexes meant to end up but how he ended up here is not what was planned. The ship he was traveling on , The Prideland, seemed to have sunk under a wave that would be believed by none except those who've seen the absolute raw power of the ocean. One would think that some God was out for revenge. For what though, Grexes doesn't know but perhaps he is able to find out here. He is the lone survivor of the ship and no remnants of the ship seemed to have washed ashore. Its been a small while not and there have been no news of such things coming up. IT wasn't only his family that might have ended up down in the bottom of the great sea. No. Very important members of his order are now missing ,presumed dead, as well. Without further instruction, Grexes hopes to find his path in order to find out more about this strange land and perhaps find others who came here from The Prideland.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CXE0x0HUwAAgDm5.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	90266  
I swear upon the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Impaleddearan; Apr 3rd, 2021 at 10:23 PM.
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 01:20 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 477
Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursinorum View Post

Is it ok if I use the Minotaur from Ravnica? I'm not familiar with the setting, but the humanoid Minotaur that shapeshifts into a bull doesn't sit well with me, I'd rather change App than to use that.

In case not, what's your policy on races? I'm imagining orcs, goblinoids, elves, and dwarves are out, but maybe dragonborns are in (if there are dragons..)

Are the Epic Paths necessary? I wouldn't mind too much playing the human dude amazed at the heroes in the party (but I could see it getting old in 16 levels) or maybe a Minotaur is "Epic" enough without a Path..
Minotaur from Ravenica is fine.

No native dragonborn.

The paths are there to give a Perseus or Jason feel to the character. If you really don't want one... go ahead.
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 11:27 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1689
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
Got it, App completed. We don't need a sheet at this point right?

Went for the greataxe in the description as Tavros is not a "right-headed Tylean" per se, but could change that for the maul/kopanos as he was brought up by humans.

Also, if both get chosen, Tavros will probably hold Castalia's opinions in high regard, as she's a Nereid and grew up in a fishermen's village.
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 10:22 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5414
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Oh yeah, I'm totally in for this one. WIP - looking at an Odyssean rogue with the Vanished One path.

Last edited by Grouchy; Mar 21st, 2021 at 10:36 PM.
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 03:03 PM
Queen of Silly Ideas

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 651
ElCosoLoco ElCosoLoco ElCosoLoco ElCosoLoco ElCosoLoco ElCosoLoco
Could be in for this, but I'll only apply if my gf does to, I think. We have little opportunity to play with both of us being players.
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 05:14 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
I believe I'm about done with Cythia. Let me know if you have any feedback that might require revisions.
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 01:36 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5414
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
@Shula - Unsure of what his feat will be just yet, but would you allow the UA feat Spear Mastery? It seems the perfect flavor for him since he once was a Dragonlord.

Otherwise, Cyrus can be considered complete.

Character Concept
right-aligned image

Name: Cyrus
Intended Role: DPS, Utility, Support.
Race: Variant Human
Class: Rogue (progressing to Odyssean)
Epic Path: Vanished One.
Background: Far Traveler

This will change once Versi returns his armor and spear to himDescription:
Cyrus is a handsome, charismatic man of average height with a wiry build and thick black curly hair. He has green eyes that flash with a mischievous sparkle, a regal looking nose, and a well groomed full beard with streaks of lighter hair in it. He stands with the poise and grace of one used to command, although his clothing does not denote great wealth and is in fact quite odd compared to modern Thylean styles. He currently wears a simple scarlet red robe of knee length with a thick leather belt around his waist, and a pair of sandals that strap up his calves to just below his knee. On his waist is a well polished xiphos and he carries a harp in his hands.

History:
Although Cyrus remembers little of his past outside of his servitude to Versi, Cyrus in fact was one of the original Dragonlords. Riding on his mighty dragon Frulvodshul with his magical golden cloak flying in the breeze, spear and shield in hand, Cyrus was renown as a master tactician, spearman, musician, orator, and athlete during the First War. He personally lead the assault on the main kingdom of the Gygans in the Cerulean Gulf, during which Frulvodshul was mortally wounded and the two plummeted into the sea. During their descent, Cyrus's golden cloak was ripped from his body and sent soaring into the air, reported to be the only evidence found of him after the total victory of the Thyleans of Mytros but has since been lost in history. Cyrus fell into the sea unconscious, and would have surely died at the hands of Sydon who was eager to use his power over the waters to utterly destroy the Dragonlord. It was only by chance that he was rescued by the water nymph Versi, the Oracle, who fell in love with the handsome Cyrus and charmed him into being her lover. Cyrus lived in ignorant bliss in their small cave by the hot springs where the Oracle lived, and enjoyed an idyllic life of love, leisure, and simple pleasures. His relationship with Versi had a magical affect on his aging process - what felt like a day with her was a year on mainland Thylea. The prophecy had come however, and his love Versi explained that Thylea was in danger once again and that Cyrus was critical as one of its saviors. By this time, however, Cyrus is a shell of what he once was - five centuries of soft living and leisure has eroded much of what he was, and he had almost forgotten his past until Versi restored some of his memory. Now he is determined to clear the fog of his mind and regain his title as a Dragonlord to save Thylea once again, before returning to his lover's side for them to spend centuries more together.

Last edited by Grouchy; Mar 23rd, 2021 at 03:58 AM.