RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 04:46 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4723
Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia
What Lies Beneath

Game NameWhat Lies Beneath
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeFantasy Thriller
Flavourdark and desperate

About the Game
You know everything they told you about the Underdark? How awful it is?

It's worse.

It's especially worse when you're a prisoner of the drow, in a slave pen with a dozen others, with nothing left but your underwear and your bad dreams.

This is the beginning of Out of the Abyss, being run here as a daily post campaign for 4-6 1st level characters. And it does get far, far worse. This is the sort of thriller that tests a character's and player's ability to improvise and survive in the case of seemingly insurmountable odds. Players familiar with this sourcebook are welcome, but note that I do massage the material. Expect the unexpected.

Your CharacterIf this sounds like the sort of challenge you'd be interested in, please create...okay, time out to say:

DON'T ROLL DICE IN THE AD THREAD!

Seriously, the only thing worse than being a captive of drow slavers is having to face RPGX staff when you've done this. It makes a lot of work for them, and so gets the player who does it a bad reputation. I repeat:

DON'T ROLL DICE IN THE AD THREAD!

That said, please create a character using either a 27 point buy as detailed on p. 13 of the Player's Handbook, OR the Standard Set of Scores (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8). Races and classes may come from the PHB, Volo's, Xanathar's and/or Tasha's. Backgrounds can come from any of those sources, plus the substitute features and bonds on page 221 of the Out of the Abyss book. Some of your equipment may eventually be recoverable, or it may be lost for good, depending on how the gameplay goes. It might be good to have a list of what you had, in case you do get it back. Again, use the PHB, Volo's, Xanathar's and/or Tasha's.

Please have either darkvision or a good plan on how to survive the Underdark without it. Also, please don't be evil. Be aware that some of the terrain in this campaign is very tight. I'm not saying you CAN'T play a goliath or a creature of similar size, but he will have problems in places. Also, I'm a dead-tree DM. I rarely even look at Unearthed Arcana, so if something you're wedded to is not in a book yet, include a link, and don't expect too much.

How I Run PBP Campaigns
1) I ask for daily posts. I know daily-post games are the exceptions for PbP, but I've been running two of them over the past year on this site and find that their fast pace allows for greater character development, better interactions and quicker-resolving combats. Your daily posts don't have to be works of literature, just statements about what the character does. If someone doesn't post by the deadline, likely to be noon Central Time (which is 5pm UTC), that character stands and watches the ensuing action. Remember that you have 24 hours to post before the deadline--that's just when I start processing. Expect my post within an hour or so after that.

2) I do a lot of the routine dice rolling for you. In particular, when combat starts, I roll initiative and post a list. Players then post what they want to do, in any order. There'll be a chat thread in case you want to confer with other players. You get to do your own combat and skill check rolls, together with any damage. When the deadline rolls around, I evaluate the posts in initiative order--I find the first character's post, evaluate that post, scroll till I find the next one in initiative order, and so on.

3) My posts will be navy blue, so I can spot them quickly during the aforementioned scrolling. If you use color at all, please refrain from using anything close to Navy.

4) Part of the excitement of this game will be playing a hugely popular and well-written module, but part of the excitement also will come from twists and surprises as I modify source material to a greater or lesser degree. It's more fun if you don't know exactly what to expect.

5) I usually accept a few more characters than usual, on the assumption that there will be dropouts. Even with the best will in the world, stuff happens.

6) Advancement will be by milestones, not numeric XP awards.

7) I'll probably check the chat thread a couple of hours before the deadline, in case anyone has any questions, and leave a note that I've been there.

8) Storytelling may, rarely, trump the rules, but that's my call. Example: in my CoS campaign, a rat familiar ran up the villain's pants leg and bit. Familiars can't attack, of course, but this was a distraction as opposed to an attempt to do damage, and it worked well, I think. If you're going to do something like this, communicate with me beforehand, and please don't be peeved if I turn you down or impose a cost (RIP familiar, in this case).

9) This campaign, at least beyond the first chapter, is a sandbox. You will have choices to make (go to X, or go to Y, or what?), and you have to tell me what you choose. Otherwise things default to "stand around and wait to be recaptured." If you prefer a more linear experience, you might want to choose another game.

10) The players are supposed to be having fun, although the characters may not be. If this process doesn't sound like fun to you, this might not be the game you're looking for. No harm, no foul.

Sample from a couple of my games. Both groups are wonderfully imaginative and great fun to play with, as I'm sure you guys will be, too.

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...42#post8847042
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...46#post8999846

YOUR APPLICATION SHOULD INCLUDE:

* A completed character sheet. I suggest the 5e sheet maintained by RPGX.
* Your preferred pronouns (that's for the player, not the character).
* A narrative sample. Please tell us how your character came to be in a drow slave pen.
* Thoughts on whether the proposed time for the deadline (noon CST/ 1700 UTC) works for you, or would a shift of several hours be better. Only gonna happen if a large part of the group asks, but it could be done.
* A statement of any game content that you find so distressing as to interfere with play. Note that this is an emotionally difficult campaign and very ugly things happen in it--I can't turn the drow into respecters of human rights (or demihuman, or humanoid). This only tells me how substantial a curtain I need to draw.

Applications should be in by April 15.
Selections will be made by April 22.
Gameplay will begin on May 1.

Hope to hear from you!

Last edited by Exfilia; Mar 23rd, 2021 at 11:56 AM.
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 05:01 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2149
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
This looks interesting and I love the daily post rate but am currently applying for this adventure already. If I don't get in I'll definitely apply here. Going for a dwarf cleric using his ancestors for strength.
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 02:33 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 168
Winador Winador
Here is my application for Zudduck the Bugbear Monk. I think I hit all the things you requested. That said, this is my first application on the site, so I am definitely open to and would greatly appreciate feedback/suggestions.

Application for Zudduck the Bugbear Monk
right-aligned image

Character Sheet: Zudduck

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

A narrative sample: Zudduck was born to wanderlust. He had begun his wandering was as a child, barely old enough to stand, and his parents had never tried to dissuade him. The less he was around, the less time they had to spend minding and nurturing him. As he grew older, his wanderings led him to a hobby of spelunking. Caves, and the dark places of the earth drew him like a lure. Deeper, and deeper until finally he was no longer just in a cave, but he had made his way into the underdark itself. He had been warned of the dangers, and usually kept his visits to the underdark brief. One day he caught sight of a Drow priestess on his excursions, and that chance encounter with her beauty would be his doom.

It wasn't long before Zudduck became a bugbear obsessed with learning more about the obsidian skinned beauty he saw. Staying away simply wasn't an option for the monk. Her red eyes glowing in the dark beckoned him, dragging him slowly deeper. Long white locks of hair spilling down her shoulders, wildly crept into his dreams. He didn't dare approach her or her guard, but he stalked her from the deep shadows of the world, hoping in vain that one day he could catch her alone and introduce himself. He knew nothing of her cruelty. Nothing of her devotion to a dark and evil goddess. Nothing of her contempt for males of any species, much less an inferior race like his.

After days of following her to depths that most sane creatures would consider hell, he made a potentially fatal mistake. Moving through the bioluminescent fungus, trying to stick out of the sight of her guards, he slipped down a steep passage sending him careening headlong into the midst of her party. Her perfect features took on an evil sneer, and her hatred for him was palpable. Zudduck knew his life was over. A quick crack of her scourge sent pain like nothing he had ever experienced before through his body. It was exquisite. It was overwhelming. Darkness crept into his vision until finally, everything was dark. Everything was silent. Everything was peaceful. He didn't awaken during the remainder of the trip to the slave pens. Bumps and bruises covered his body, blood oozed from weeping wounds acquired from the rough handling of his new masters. He smelled like death itself had wrapped him like a cloak. When he finally awoke, he found himself trapped, penned in and helpless.

Deadline: I have no issues with the proposed deadline, or the daily posting requirement. I think it will help keep players engaged if we can avoid long downtimes.

Distressing Content: Honestly, you'd have to try hard to shock or offend me. I've read enough R.A. Salvatore to know the Drow are super pleasant folks /sarcasm.

Last edited by Winador; Mar 24th, 2021 at 07:49 PM.
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 10:14 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3673
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Does your acceptance of Tasha's mean custom races?
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 11:36 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimi View Post
Does your acceptance of Tasha's mean custom races?
It would seriously depend what you have in mind, and how well it fitted with the rest of the party.
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 12:34 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
That page from OotA that I mentioned? Look what WotC put online, free and legal:

Background material

Also, someone asked about the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. It's sitting on my shelf, and you may use background material from it if you can make it work.

Last edited by Exfilia; Mar 23rd, 2021 at 12:36 PM.
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 12:38 PM
Likely up to no good ...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5502
Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie
Application for Smudgeon Odrum, Deep Gnome Druid (Circle of the Moon)
right-aligned image

Character Sheet: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=87912

Narrative Sample/Backstory:
Always the sort of robust young svirfneblin who'd rather be out caving than working the mushroom fields, Smudgeon joined the sacthi (burrow wardens / military) the day of his coming of age ceremony (age 25). He was trained as a tilcaitha (healer) and served for 25 years. Most of his service was uneventful, though he saw a few storied battles in the alliance with the dwarves to regain Gauntlgrym, enough to be a highly respected combat veteran among his own people, the dwarves of that city, and the other allies and supporters of that war.

He retired 10 years ago at the rank of thegra (first sergeant). Smudgeon might have risen higher, but even though he's taciturn by nature, when he does speak, he has a tendency to be brusk — including with superior officers. Also, he would get things done the way he thought best, which wasn't always by the book or strictly according to orders.

His itchy feet and interest in caving never went away. His healer training and field experience piqued his curiosity about medicinal fungi, plants, animals, and minerals, which led him to study informally with such druids, clerics, and other nature and medical sages as he knows in town and has encountered on his travels, becoming something of a nature priest himself.

He had been dwelling in his parent's home in Blingdenstone, not yet married (as his mother constantly reminds him!). By profession, he is an apothecary who was making his sparse living by traveling through the Underdark to gather natural materials, compounding them into medicines, then selling them in town. He could have been making a "good" living (again as his mother constantly reminds him), but after so many years of duty, he'd been enjoying his freedom by caving, exploring, learning, camping, communing with nature, and spending what little extra money he was earning partying with his friends in town.

It was on a recent trek for some rare fungi that he ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time, was arrested by the Drow on trumped-up trespassing and poaching charges, and was thrown into prison.
Preferred Pronouns: You can call me "He/Him/His" — Just don't call me late for dinner!

Deadline: I'm good with the proposed game start day and deadlines. I'm also flexible to any changes.

Distressing Content: As long as the party aren't the ones doing evil, I'll take it as dark as you want to dish it.

Additional: I plan on advancing Smudgeon to Circle of the Moon, but he'll do well as Circle of the Land-Underdark if the party needs a controller more than a light tank.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by Oakie; Mar 24th, 2021 at 11:52 AM.
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 01:52 PM
Daytime Denizen

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 602
Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky
Exfilia,

Are you allowing Variant Humans and/or Feats?

And Max Hp at lvl 1, or roll for HP?

Last edited by Jab Burrwalky; Mar 23rd, 2021 at 01:52 PM.
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 03:52 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jab Burrwalky View Post
Exfilia,

Are you allowing Variant Humans and/or Feats?

And Max Hp at lvl 1, or roll for HP?
Feats, for sure.

Max hp at level 1, please. You'll need them.

And variant humans are welcome if you can figure a way to deal with the dark.
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 04:04 PM
Daytime Denizen

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 602
Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfilia View Post
Feats, for sure.

Max hp at level 1, please. You'll need them.

And variant humans are welcome if you can figure a way to deal with the dark.
I'm considering a Human Wizard, so he can have the Light Cantrip and eventually Dark Vision as a 2nd level spell. But I may switch to a different race. Haven't settled on it completely yet.
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 07:00 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3104
SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer
Start without equipment, you say? Why don't I apply as an artificer? It's not like that'll be super hard or anything Application is done.

Application
right-aligned image

Name: Cyvintha Vystaire
Race: High (Llewyr) Elf
Class: Artificer
Mechanical Background: Noble

Brief Description of character personality: Outgoing and excessively self-confident, Cyvintha has a fascination with beverages both common and magical, the ingredients that go into them, and the cultures that produce them. Her natural curiosity greatly exceeds her instinct for self-preservation. She enjoys the finer things in life, but doesn't take herself particularly seriously, and isn't afraid to get her hands dirty every now and then, both for the purposes of study and recreation.

Brief Backstory: An heiress to the Vystaire Elven Brandy fortune, Cyvintha was raised in luxury, but encouraged to develop her intellect and learn about whatever took her interest. Her family's estate was surrounded by endless vineyards, which led to her interest in viticulture and, as she grew older, alchemy. Upon reaching adulthood, she spent her summer socializing on her native Moonshae Isles, and the winters studying with alchemists of all races across Faerūn. One of whom was the Svirfneblin Kazook Pickshine, in search of whom she first descended into the Underdark.

Deadline: I can keep up given the planned deadline, but would prefer it to be moved 30 minutes to an hour later. This is just because when I'm on, or coming off, a night shift, I tend to wake at some point between 4 and 5pm in my time zone, which is equivalent to 11am-noon Central.

No-gos:I'm pretty sure everything I have a problem with is covered by site rules. Stick clear of sexual violence and explicit description of torture and we're good.

Pronoun: They/them for me, she/her for Cyvintha.

Last edited by SnakeOilCharmer; Apr 2nd, 2021 at 10:11 AM.
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 10:40 PM
The Dread Lord

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1115
Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan
Eztli
right-aligned image

Name: Eztli
Race: Yuan-ti Pureblood
Class: Artificer
Alignment: Neutral
Background: Outlander
Pronouns. He/Him
Posting Status: Good
Anything Not Good: As dark as your heart can fathom. This is just a game after all.

* [B]A narrative sample:

"Please don't, I'm an Artificer..."I blurted out just before the drow brought his sword down ending the connection between my neck and head. Something I need to stay alive. I blurted out the last thing that might keep me alive. I know that I will likely be enslaved. I've heard the stores about such things. A salve is better then being dead. At least for me it is. Do they even know what an Artificer is? Hell, I barely even know what it is. I don't have much experience but maybe I will buy myself enough time to figure a way out. "An Artificer. Explain yourself. You have 60 seconds."The drow moved his sword down to his hip and awaited for my explanation. Only 60 seconds. Not much time hopefully I will get the point across. "I use magic to help turn items magical. Give them magical properties. Sometimes I find extraordinary capabilities in objects. Things people find mundane or boring." I stopped talking knowing my 60 seconds were up. I thought best not to push my luck. They group of drow that had me surrounded and were talking. I was unable to understand what they were saying but I haven't been beheaded yet so it must not all be bad. I was only in this cave to find some crystals someone told me about. If I ever make it back to town I swear ill punch that stupid dwarf as hard as I possibly can. But first, I must get out of this situation.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_a001b7826ea80630f1a1e20125e6448c.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	90311  
I swear upon the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Impaleddearan; Apr 11th, 2021 at 05:06 PM.
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 01:08 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10460
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Blix
right-aligned image

Name: Blix (I can created this in RPGx, if preferred)
Race: Goblin
Class: Rogue
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Background: Folk Hero

Description: Blix stands a little over three feet tall with mottled green skin and scars that cover most of his body. His back is criss-crossed with long scars in varying states of healing, a memento from his years spent as a slave. Unlike many others of his kind, there is a resilient spark behind his eyes that refuses to die, regardless of how many lashes he takes.

Narrative Sample: Like many of his race, Blix had been a slave of the drow for years. Due to his size and 'weakness', Blix had been relegated to mucking out the slave pens. Although the drow cared little for the cleanliness of the pens, eventually their stench would become so overwhelming that they would need to be cleaned. When the 'stronger' slaves were taken from their pens to work elsewhere, Blix would be sent in. Even for a goblin, it was soul-crushing and disgusting work.

One drow thought it would be funny to kick Blix directly into a pile of feces that must have come from a group of bugbears. He quickly scrambled out and snarled at the drow. The dark elf smiled and watched in satisfaction as Blix was stripped of the ragged thread-bare clothes he had on and was whipped repeatedly, each time he returned his glare back unto the drow.

Other goblins were nearby as well and watched Blix defy their masters. Their jaws tightened as they watched in quite pride of his resistance, knowing that it would almost certainly result in his death.

The whipping continued until Blix passed out. As he was dragged away, word of his defiance spread among the other goblin prisoners. When Blix awoke, he found himself in a different pen than normal.

Your preferred pronouns: He/Him
Thoughts on whether the proposed time: Fine by me
A statement of any game content: Anything that fits within the site's PG-13 limits are fine.

Last edited by Silent Rain; Mar 24th, 2021 at 12:36 PM.
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 08:12 PM
”Salud, camaradas!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17735
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Just jumping in to bump up this thread and give a plug for Exfilia's daily-post games.

I've been playing her Curse of Strahd game for a year now and Exfilia has delivered day in, day out without fail as a savvy, humble and witty GM. Her games are a perfect mix of module baseline and creative adaptation, tailored to your party.

You're in for a treat!
Old Mar 25th, 2021, 12:06 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimi View Post
right-aligned image

Name: Rusted Root (Rust for short)
Class: Barbarian
Race: Tabaxi, Custom Origin (+2 STR, +1 CON)
Alignment: Neutral
Background: Outlander

Narrative Sample: WIP, but the basic idea is that she comes from a group of tabaxi that was enslaved by the drow long ago and bred for pit-fighting for their amusement. These tabaxi are not numerous but are spread among drow cities. She is STR and CON based rather than DEX and CHA based due to that unfortunate origin. Before being taken from her parents, who taught her to fight, she was handed down the language and stories of the world aboveground and is determined to find it. If this idea is ok I will write a narrative, just let me know.

Preferred pronouns: Private
Timing: I can't usually post between 6 am and noon CST but I could post the night before.
Content: No worries within site restrictions
That's a very promising creature. Please do your back story, and we'll see what shakes out in the selection process.