RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Mar 28th, 2021, 05:21 PM
Is it nap time yet?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4657
Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by MundayKnight View Post
Heyo MoM. This sounds really fun, haven't done a good ol' fashioned dungeon dive in a long time. Got a few questions for ya before I dive too far into character creation.

Thinking of an Armorer Artificer and wondering if there would be enough downtime for 1/4th crafting time to be viable or if I should operate under the assumption there will never be time to craft.

Mattering on the answer matters on how big the list of magical equipment I am interested in is but either way a wand of magic missile is certainly going to be near the top of the list.
It could go either way. However, I foresee most if not all if your time spent inside a dungeon full of evilness...You could just start your own village and make a home there if you want....I mean, anything is possible if the players make it happen.
Stop on by for a Fireside Tale
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 05:23 PM
Is it nap time yet?

Tools
User Statistics
Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by triedtherest View Post
I wanted to add Goggles of the Night on to my existing list.
rarity? Major/minor? Dont have my stuff open right this moment.
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 05:27 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2362
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
They are Uncommon.
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 05:37 PM
Now a Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10662
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
Dungeon city sounds like fun to me. Or just a few days locked away in a safe corner...

Okay final question, magic initiate feat?
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 07:46 PM
Is it nap time yet?

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by triedtherest View Post
i wanted to add goggles of the night on to my existing list.
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 07:46 PM
Is it nap time yet?

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by MundayKnight View Post
Dungeon city sounds like fun to me. Or just a few days locked away in a safe corner...

Okay final question, magic initiate feat?
Sure
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 08:08 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2362
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Ichabod Crow is done.
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 08:22 PM
Now a Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10662
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
Od The Broken
Personality and appearanceAmong the vast legions of hobgoblin kind men like Od and his brother Id are a rarity for most hobgoblins born with any defect, let alone a substantial one, are thrown to the legion's wolves. Born without legs below the knee life was difficult for the bright red hobgoblin but at an early age his mother put a hammer in his hand and the little hobgoblin took to it like a kobold to traps. His love of smithing quickly became a central column of his existence with his time and mind devoted to it to the point that many would avoid speaking with the youth due to every discussion being focused on how important the annealing process is in metalworking or how to enchant a sack to make a bag of holding and that singlemindedness was mostly annoying to those who weren't interested in it. When somehow pulled out of his smithy and forced to discuss something else he was dispassionate but provided keen insight due to his overwhelming intellect. The young smith helped guide his brother in warfare and in times of peace and held as much power as the priests traditionally would in the legion but where they often saw the duty as an honor Od saw it as a tiresome burden that far too often took him away from his forge.

Od's apperance outside of his missing legs is ideal for a hob with his heavily muscled torso and arms looking fit for a boxing match with an orc and his big blue nose and harsh angular face being the peak of hobgoblin handsomeness. Straight white teeth stand out against fiery skin and piercing black orbs unsettled those who his glare fell upon. Many hobgoblins sharpened their fingernails for a desperate final weapon if needed but Od's shaping of the nail was even finer and allowed him to grip thin wires with more precision. For the majority of the man's existence most of his physical appearance was entirely unnoticeable though as he was garbed in his grand suit of armor. The suit of blackened plate armor covered his body and gave him the legs he had been missing in his early life while also giving him a foreboding presence. The gauntlet on his right fist housed a series of crystals upon the knuckles that channeled the arcane power coursing through his suit and upon his large iron shield a series of diamonds embedded in its surface did the same. With him everywhere the man went in life was a backpack filled with tools, scraps, blueprints, and various small machines the man would make and disassemble to remain sharp. On each shoulder his faithful companions would rest, on the left a raven with a habit of pecking anyone who got too close and on the right a small book with a gem in its spine and arms and legs coming from its back cover.

BackgroundThe fire burned hot and bright in the early night as Od sat upon a well worn log beside a much younger Hobgoblin with a book and pen in hand. Od tossed another log into the fire and leaned back against another well positioned log. "Thank you for coming young one, much of what I tell you tonight will be information you know but I think it is important to see it from my eyes. I am going to start from the beginning so prepare for a long night young one." The scribe simply nodded and put the strange quill that Od had created tot he paper, ink coming from its internal reservoir.

Cursed by nature, blessed by nurture.Rith, mother of Od and Id, was cursed in her youth by a human cleric whose temple she had burned down but the woman had thought nothing of it until after her third sloughing. She tried to bare children a dozen times before finally she gave birth to a pair of twin males. The curse was not merely upon the chance of live birth though as both of her children were born twisted. The first out of the womb was Id, at a healthy nine pounds and with a cry that could be heard across the camp it was only when the baby opened its eyelids that the midwife saw its flaw. Where eyes should be there were simply empty caverns of flesh. The midwife put the baby to the side as the second child began coming out head first. As the baby fully left its mother the stumps at its knees drew a gasp from the midwife. The elderly hobgoblin woman cut the umbilical cords and gave the babies to their mother. The midwife spoke her apologies and offered to throw the mutated youth to the wolves to spare Rith the pain but Rith chose to keep the children and it was that choice that made the future of the greatest hobgoblins in the history of the Sweet Rot Legion possible.

While the young Od was missing his legs he more than made up for it with an intellect that left those around him absolutely baffled. When other children were still learning their numbers and letters Od was learning the intricacies of the legion's necromantic training, the tombs of battle written by their former warchiefs, and the advances metallurgy of the clan's smiths. Od's brother Id made up for his lack of eyes by having a sense of hearing far beyond what any could believe. In the training field the blind twin proved himself a master of every melee weapon put in his hands and could use the sound of arrows piercing the air to dodge them with ease. It was clear by the time the two were old enough to be assigned tot heir jobs that Rith had made the right choice in sparing the children. Od was assigned to the smithy where the boy began crafting weapons and armor of superb quality while his brother was assigned to a frontline unit, raising in the ranks faster than even their proud mother would have expected.

One small stepWhile his brother was rising through the ranks of the Legion Od spent the what little spare time he had in the forge working on a suit of armor that, if it worked, would revolutionize the legion more than anything since the discovery of fire. The first significant hurdle was finding a way to get the armor to respond to the thought of the wielder. While it could be tied via continual magical energy the wasted energy would make the armor too expensive to produce more than one of the things every decade so he started working on ways to streamline it. It took the boy three years to figure it out but finally he was confident in his design. The armor required an implant into the skull of the wearer and the implant would use the traces of arcane energy living in the body of most things as well as the electrical current running through the brain for energy and translated the thoughts of the wearer through fine wire traceries embedded into the wearer's flesh to nodes at the joints of the wearer's body. From there the rest of the armor fell in line within months. The armors default form was just an extremely thick gauntlet of steel but with a thought the excess steel liquified and ran along the wearer's body even going so far as to replicate missing limbs. It was with this armor that for the first time in his life the young Od was able to take his first steps. The hob wept as he did, having never experienced the simple pleasure of walking and now he could do it with the ease of anyone else. With this armor his people could overcome the loss of limbs that was all too common among the eternally embattled legion. Other than washing and sleeping the young hob was encased in steel and even sleeping his steel gauntlet encased his hand, as ready for battle as all his kin.

Planning to dieThe fire giant army was coming for them and they didn't have much time left to prepare. His people were going to flee, if the legion fought the fire giants they would be destroyed and as warchief it was Id's decision, guided by Od, that their people should run while the twins remained. The two brothers knew that they could not stop the army on their own they were certain they could slow them down, especially with the time they had been given to prepare. The tribe's accumulated horde of undead had been ushered into position and pits and traps dug and placed. The warchief sat across from his brother, polishing the spear the master smith had made him for the battle ahead of them. "I know you want to be the one to draw them in Od but I would be more comfortable if it was me." "I know brother but I need you to take care of the archers. If you can get into their back line you will tear through them like a scythe through wheat. Besides with my armor the undead won't be able to scratch me. I took time making yours but with the mobility you requested I couldn't make it as dense. Anyways its not like either of us are going to live through this. We slow the fire giants down and we kill as many of them as we can along the way and for that you need to be the hammer and I need to be the anvil."

"Can't fault your logic little brother but doesn't make me like it any more. Alright so once more from the top. The giants start coming down the pass and you stand at the end. We let them get as many as possible in and you press the first switch to close off their retreat with a rockfall. First switch also releases the first wave of zombies from the hollow walls at that end of the pass. The giants are gonna cleave through them probably without loss but it will slow them down and scramble their ranks. They finish up the zombies and reform, almost certainly leaving a knot of infantry around their archers and casters. Once they start marching again and the forward infantry gets midway through the pass you throw the second switch and the second rockfall splits the two and uncovers the murder holes for the skeleton archers in the walls to start shooting the archers and casters while I come in and start working my way through them. The acid sprayers at eye level to the giants start going off on the forward contingent till the reservoirs are used up then the third and final switch to release the remainder of the undead while you wait for the giants to walk up and fight. The traps and spike pits should keep it down to one or two on you at a time. With your shield the first few won't be a problem but after that how many do you think you can take on? Three, maybe four if you are able to take them one at a time?"

Od was lost in thought as he calculated his chances and the resources they had to bare. "Ten if I can get them to remain single file which the pits should unless they want to fill them with the corpses of their allies. Three if two or more are able to get to me at a time. Don't forget the last deadfall. The pressure plate for it will be a few steps after me and its collapse will likely kill a few of them and will certainly slow them down. By the time the infantry has made it to me you should either have defeated their ranged contingent or be dead, more likely than not dead given the size of their force, but if you survive I need you to make your way through the tunnels to come out on the infantry's rear. There is no way we are going to be able to kill all five hundred of them but every dead giant is a deterrent. If we can punish them enough they may not risk the rest of our legion fearing they are as strong as us." The older twin put the spear down and his orbless sockets peered into the soul of his brother. "Tomorrow rest well. I know you have been in a few battles before but none like this. The first time a giant's sword hits your shield its going to feel like the world is ending but remember you aren't stopping anything, always angle the shield to deflect. If they are going to get past your shield go limp. A tense body is a breakable body and even if the blade doesn't cut through your armor you will snap your neck trying to blunt that force. Remain fluid and let yourself get launched from the blow. May even throw you to safety." Id smiled at his brother, letting out a faint click of his tongue to make sure the minutes older hobgoblin could 'see' it. "Brother you are lecturing me on physics?" The two shared a laugh and finished their drinks in companionable silence. There was strange comfort in knowing one was going to die. Not long and they would be in Bargrivyek's hall preparing to marshal out under Maglubiyet's command. That night the two brothers slept the sleep of the damned with a smile on their faces.

The hobgoblin smith put his hand upon the shoulder of the young scribe. "I want you to take my blueprints and the key for my cypher with you. You have the brains to be the next master smith of our clan. I am sure you can figure out what most of it means in time. Grow, learn, and fight for what you deserve. Now take the fastest horse we have and catch up with the Legion. Tomorrow Id and I die but the Sweet Rot Legion lives on. Just promise me if you all ever make it back this direction to bring my brother and I's corpses back to fight. Let nothing go to waste." "I shall Master Od. May Maglubiyet guide you." The fire finished burning down to embers as the smith looked into the flames, dreaming of a life unlived.

Last edited by MundayKnight; Mar 30th, 2021 at 04:31 PM.
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 10:25 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1208
Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod
@DM- how strict are you going to be on the need of water/rations?
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 10:31 PM
Is it nap time yet?

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrod View Post
@DM- how strict are you going to be on the need of water/rations?
Yup. Very strict! I assume your going to be eating Lich minions by the end of this adventure.
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 10:53 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3525
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Sounds like we'll need to stock up
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 11:41 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1208
Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod
Can I request additional pricing for my character Agrex

Rope of climbing -dmg 197 uncommon
Pariapt of health -dmg 184 uncommon
Cloak of the manta ray -dmg159 uncommon
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 12:36 AM
Is it nap time yet?

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekr34 View Post
Sounds like we'll need to stock up
Maybe. However, seeing as each of your characters are dead, I would think they would not worry about it too much!
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 12:38 AM
Is it nap time yet?

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrod View Post
Can I request additional pricing for my character Agrex

Rope of climbing -dmg 197 uncommon
Pariapt of health -dmg 184 uncommon
Cloak of the manta ray -dmg159 uncommon
Rope of climbing -dmg 197 uncommon - 260
Pariapt of health -dmg 184 uncommon - 640
Cloak of the manta ray -dmg159 uncommon - 860
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 09:50 AM
Great Wyrm