RPXP: 495
Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Chise Hawkwoodsdóttir

Race: Human (Variant)

Class: Rogue (Scout)

Background: Entertainer
  • Traits: I place no stock in wealthy or well-mannered folk. Money and manners won't save you from the Beast.
    I face problems head-on. A simple direct solution is the best path to success.
  • Ideal: Cautious. Mother Nature is a dangerous being. Her creations should always be treated with respect and care.
  • Bond: I discovered a perfect place and made it my domain, one day I will return there.
  • Flaw: Townspeople and cityfolk are soft. I feel superior to them.
Alignment: Neutral

Appearance: Chise has long brown hair and hazel eyes. Her complexion is ruddy. Standing at 5'10" and weighing 160 pounds, Chise is a large woman compared to those of her village. She prefers to wear greens so dark that they are almost black. Chise is seldom found without her bow.

Backstory
- The Bride -

Chise was born west of the Great River to a family of entertainers, in one of the villages nearest the mountains. She was scarcely fifteen when she first saw him who would become her groom, at a folk moot held at Mountain Hall, in a time when the Orcs were sorely threatening her people. Only a few months later she moved across the river to be near him, as he was from the folk dwelling in the forest. As she waited for her wedding, she learned how to seek a prey among the trees, and her love for the hunt rivalled that of her future husband.

One night, only a handful of days before her wedding day, he left with a company of men from the village, refusing to bring Chise with him and giving no explanations. Only his faithful hound returned, grievously wounded.

When the elders of the village saw the claw marks on the hound they shook their heads, speaking of the dreaded Beast of the Worm Woods. Whether a werewolf or a wolf-shifter, the Beast had not been heard of in over two decades. But it seems it has returned.

Distraught, Chise wandered away from the forest folk, alone and inconsolable. She has spent the last few years hunting the orcs that threated both her and her intended's villages. The scout has also looked for signs of the Beast. Other than hearing it from afar, she has been unable to track it down.

FamilyHawkwood Johannssøn and Thalea Björngangsdóttir are Chise's father and mother and are in their fifties. Her paternal grandfather, Red Gregor once played for Queen Alexandria Everwind several years before the Battle of Cyan Fields. Her family, including her brother Little Gregor, travel from late spring to early fall, providing entertainment to the various villages in Ahshrim. Though not anywhere as successful as He was an actual bard and not just an entertainer. He died before passing on the secrets of bardic magic to his son.Red Gregor, the family makes enough to live a comfortable lifestyle. Hawkwood worries about his daughter. He wonders why she won't return to the family and practice music until another marriage could be arranged. Thalea worries too but she is very proud of her daughter's fierce independence. Little Gregor resents his sister because, though not true, he believes his parents love her and not him. He would not be sad if Chise were to be killed by the orcs that she hunts.

Expectations: I expect neither players nor DM to disappear for a prolonged time without having the courtesy of telling the group. Other than that, I'm good.

Last edited by Shula; Mar 31st, 2021 at 02:18 AM.
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 04:47 AM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3095
briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar
Another day, another dollar! Ok then...

@Ursinorum
Excellent, thank you! The pic looks great!

@Jrod
Well, given the territorial importance of the region, I suspect that even Ashrim has a few outposts and the like in the Shattered Coast. They probably wouldn't be secret, but they most likely wouldn't be all that well-known either considering the country's lack of influence there.

As far as rations/water? Strict enough that it will inconvenience you if you forget to eat and drink, but not so much that I'll kill you from starvation and/or dehydration.

@JaneGray
To echo what has already been said, no, we are not 'full'. This is an ad/app style of game, meaning that people post prospective characters within a certain time frame and I choose which players/PCs I think are the best fit, both for the world, the style of game I want to create, and of course, with one another. You need not feel pressured to apply if you prefer to just wait and watch, but you're more than welcome to drop a character in the pool still if you would like.

@WildJessi
Oh, yeah, I forget that D&D calls druid subclasses 'circles'. In the case of the 'Circle of Echoes' I mentioned, however, that's not a subclass, but rather the name of an 'organization' of druids in the Heartlands region of Ashrim. Your choice in subclass is perfectly fine

@triedtherest
I would, actually. An essentially free charm (for a bard) that lasts indefinitely as long as you're within reach of someone, with no cooldown, no penalty, and no expenditure of resources? No, thank you.

@Shula
Oh! Hi there, mr/ms/non ninja. Looks like you have a good start, let me know if you need any questions answered~

Last edited by briar; Mar 29th, 2021 at 05:02 AM.
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 10:17 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1356
Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity
Volien
right-aligned image
Name: Volien
Race: Centaur
Class: Ranger - Fey Wanderer
Background: Outlander / Guild Merchant

Trait: I always want to know how things work and what makes people tick.
Trait: I am ashamed of my tribal origins.
Ideal: Everyone should be free to pursue his or her own livelihood.
Bond: The workshop where I learned my trade is the most important place in the world to me.
Flaw: My pride will probably lead to my destruction.

Backstory: Volien grew up in a nomadic tribe of centaurs in the Ashrimari Basin. They lived off the fields, only visiting the towns and villages every once in a while. When they did, Volien would be extremely interested in everything he saw. It was all very different than what he was used to. Especially the way things were made: so very ingenious! When he was old enough, he left his tribe and stayed with a farrier to learn the trade. Who better to make hooves than one that actually uses them?

His time with the farrier was the best of his life. He was a kind man who clearly enjoyed teaching the inquisitive centaur.
Occasionally, Volien would be sent out to other remote villages that had no farriers of their own. During one of these lonely wanderings, he came across a wounded female elf - an actual True Elf - on an equally wounded horse. He offered to help cure them, which was accepted. That night, Volien stood guard as the elf and animal slept and recuperated. Near the break of dawn, sleep somehow took the watchful centaur. When Volien finally did wake up, the horse and its master were gone.

Over the course of the following days, Volien discovered he had new magical powers. He concluded his business for the farrier and went to Or the actual starting location of the campaign Alexandria to get to the bottom of what had happened to him. For such a large city must surely contain sages with answers.

Fey Wanderer: I would like to play the A fey mystique surrounds you, thanks to the boon of an archfey, the shining fruit you ate from a talking tree, the magic spring you swam in, or some other auspicious event. However you acquired your fey magic, you are now a Fey Wanderer, a ranger who represents both the mortal and the fey realms. As you wander the multiverse, your joyful laughter brightens the hearts of the downtrodden, and your martial prowess strikes terror in your foes, for great is the mirth of the fey and dreadful is their fury.Fey Wanderer subclass of the ranger. I chose for a True Elf to be the source of his Fey powers. If that's not okay, what would be an acceptable source?

Blurb: I'm looking very much forward to this game! Mostly because of how excited you are about your world, what seems to me like a sign of a compelling campaign. The level of detail you already know, and the fact that you're open about wanting to explore it further, are the main reasons for me to apply.
I tend to play characters that take themselves very seriously. To create something more light-hearted felt like an interesting challenge to me.

Please let me know if there's something obvious I've omitted in this application. If there isn't, I'm going to go ahead and declare it complete

Last edited by Maestrosity; Mar 30th, 2021 at 04:48 AM.
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 12:23 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2362
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
I thought that would be the case, it is an extremely OP Feat, especially for a Bard that could never actually Roll less than a natural 10.
Application to follow.
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 12:46 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@Briar
What's the name of the biggest dread forrest in your world....
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 02:58 PM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
Goood morning everyone! Alright then, so...

@Maestrosity
I like it! I'm not entirely sure about a true elf being your class patron--they aren't deities, after all, just very powerful--but I have some thoughts and theories on how I can make that work in the background.

My only question is to do with the end of your backstory. I can totally get behind wanting to go elsewhere in search of answers as to where his powers came from, though is he going to Alexandria/Starting Location just because it's a big place and he feels like he might find someone in that mass of people to help him explain? That's possible since there are scholars and other interested parties that might know a lot about true elves, but if he's going there looking for an actual true elf, he would have issues.

It's very unlikely that one would find a true elf in the city, they're very rare both in terms of population and the fact that they tend to avoid the civilized areas of other races. It's not completely impossible, but the most likely true elves visiting a city are probably some kind of delegation or ambassador--not easy people to secure an audience with. I'm fine with rolling with this either way you prefer, I'm just curious. Other than that, everything looks great, I'll add you to the list shortly!

@Shula
Dread forest...I'm assuming you're just talking about somewhere dark, scary and foreboding? Do you want 'in the whole world'? Just within the continent? Or even just in Ashrim? I'll answer that, from last to first:

In Ashrim...
Many of the countries borders extend beyond the Sargas mountains that run through it, the territories divvied up between the twelve noble houses that serve as lords of the land beneath the High Queen. In the Dragossa Province, which rests across the mountains to the north from the capital city, there is a particularly dismal realm of trees and shadows known as Worm Wood. Once known as the domain of the ancient Hag Queen who lived there during the Lightfallen era--as well as for some time thereafter--it is a forsaken place where none dare tread and fewer still refer to. Stories say that a town exists deep within populated by the remnants and descendants of slaves and servitors of the Hag Queen, though whether the stories are true is anyone's guess. What is known, however, is that no one who has ventured into the Worm Wood in the past few generations have come out the same, if at all.

In Lenore (Continent)...
The Svietsylvanian vales are home to many strange places, and more than a few locales that people only whisper about, but perhaps none are more famous than the Deep Vales. Heavily forested valleys tucked in the most remote reaches of the region, they are home to savage, warped beasts, terrors of the night, and, if the stories are to be believed, the secretive covenants of shadows known as the Witches of the Vales. Depicted throughout history as both villains, heroes, and anti-heroes, the Vale Witches' reach is far vaster than the forests themselves. Even without them, however, the countless miles of mist-laden, lightless forests are more than enough to terrify the common people of the realm. As they say in Svietsylvania: "Keep your head out of the clouds, and your feet out of the mists."

In the World...
Though there are countless dark corners spread all across the Known World, from the savage jungles of Kalystria, to the smoldering swamps of Lower Aventina, perhaps the most well known and feared realm of them all is that of the Forest of Tears, which lies far, far away in the remote north of Lenore in a region called the Dreadhearth. Said to be the birthplace of humanity and the site of the first empire of man, legends say that at the apex of their society, the leaves of the Forest of Tears turned black, and from its wooded glades rode forth the Sundered Lords who brought swift ruin to all that stood in their path, stopped only by the Halca mountains that divide the Dreadhearth from the rest of Lenore. Only by escaping over these mountains and sealing the way through behind them did the human race survive to spread all over the rest of the world, and to this day, the whole of the Dreadhearth remains a barren, empty wasteland, inhabited by the undead visages of a long-dead civilization and rules over by the undying Lords that conquered it.
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 05:40 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@hafrogman

normal image without text wrap
Ha! Frogman.

Just sayin'.

Almost did a grung just 'cause your name.

Last edited by Shula; Mar 29th, 2021 at 05:42 PM.
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 10:05 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
You mentioned magic colleges, are Bards considered to be graduates of these places, and are there any Bardic Colleges of note?
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 10:40 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Application
left-aligned image

Name: Merrick Merrilin
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Bard - College of Eloquence
Background: Charlatan
Current False Identity: Vi'ahris of House Telvani

Personality Traits: I fall in and out of love easily, and am always pursuing someone. Flattery is my preferred trick for getting what I want.
Ideals: Independence. I am a free spirit – no one tells me what to do. (Chaotic)
Bonds: I owe everything to my mentor – a horrible person who's probably rotting in jail somewhere.
Flaw: I can't resist a pretty face.

The Ballad of Merrick

If Merrick were to tell you that his childhood was a happy one, then it may well be the biggest lie he has ever told, and that is putting it up against some major competition!
His earliest memories are of working in the kitchens of House Telvani, a "Noble" Fey Household. He never knew what had happened to his parents and he never asked, because questions of any description would invariably result him in getting beaten by "Chef!"

When a Travelling Minstrel came to the Telvani Estate, Merrick was tasked with attending to him during his stay. The two got to talking, with Merrick providing gossip on the various potential scandals that House Telvani had kept under wraps (until now), and the Minstrel provided his insights into how Merrick could manipulate people to his advantage, as well as convincing the House Scribe to take him on as his assistant as he prepared to leave, thus finally freeing him from the hated kitchens.
Working under the Scribe was a vast improvement to the Estate's hot underbelly, but Merrick still yearned to leave, but wanted to make the Telvani's pay for the years of abuse he had endured under them, preferably in a way that would benefit him personally, then it hit him!
The House Reputation had declined somewhat after their main rivals had gotten hold of some damaging information on their dealings (thanks to the Minstrel) and much of the Scribes time had been taken up with sending out bribes and blackmailing correspondence to make sure that other information did not come to light. Taking advantage of the chaos, he used his position to fabricate "official documents" leading to the creation of "Vi'ahris", a human foundling of House Telvani, or so it would appear to the rest of the world, however this was to become Merrick's new identity in the long-con he was about to pull off.

He forged a letter, supposedly from the Head of House Telvani, addressed to the Dean of Admissions at the prestigious Camberford Academy of Arts located in Nerarynn City. The letter was an application for "Vi'ahris" to attend. It further stated that due to "Certain Family Situations" the Academy was not to contact House Telvani about Vi'ahris under any circumstances. The implication being that Vi'ahris was either illegitimate and this was their way of paying him off into a decent life away from the "Real" members of the family, or that he had fallen out of favour and was being banished, an occurrence that was not entirely unknown in either the Academy or House's history. As would be expected, there was a standard "fee" for dealing with such matters, which Merrick happily paid for (along with all the Fee's required for his full stay) with the diverted bribery funds. The Dean was known for his greed of money, and so happily sent a Letter of Acceptance to Vi'ahris, sent via Apprentice-scribe Merrick of course, and the plan to leave was in motion. Making sure his tracks were well and truly covered, he slipped away in the middle of the night, stealing a set of clothes he would not otherwise have been able to afford, and sending a letter detailing multiple Telvani wrong-doing to a local (un-bribed) Magistrate, as a parting shot to the House. Merrick/Vi'ahris managed to makes his way to Camberford Academy before the first term began, where he was welcomed with open arms.

Had this been a true Bardic Tale or Ballad, his ruse would have been discovered after some personal epiphany and he would have talked his way through the situation albeit with a much reduced punishment for his transgression, however this was neither, so he was able to rub shoulders with the children of the richest and most powerful families in all the land(s), learning the rudiments of skills that were normally reserved for Courtiers, Diplomats, and Merchant Princes. He graduated several years later, a charismatic young man, with the street-savvy of an accomplished con-artist and the bearing, skillset and knowledge of the Upper-class, but with none of the responsibilities.
He has been mostly content to charm his way through the land, usually working as an information broker (under various guises), but this has begun to get a little dull for him of late, and he has begun to dream of adventure, and living on the strength of his wits (and plausibility of his lies) with everything to win or lose, just like it used to be, all he needs is the right opportunity...

Expectations
I look upon this game as the chance to explore a new (to me) world that the GM is clearly already invested in, and to play a character that feels organic to the setting. I always try to work with the GM to make my characters fit the feel or tone of the game (albeit in unusual or unexpected ways at times).

Last edited by triedtherest; Apr 1st, 2021 at 03:23 PM.
Old Mar 30th, 2021, 04:52 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1356
Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity
Quote:
Originally Posted by briar View Post
@Maestrosity
I like it! I'm not entirely sure about a true elf being your class patron--they aren't deities, after all, just very powerful--but I have some thoughts and theories on how I can make that work in the background.
Volien was asleep, so anything could have happened really I'm glad you've got some ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by briar View Post
My only question is to do with the end of your backstory. I can totally get behind wanting to go elsewhere in search of answers as to where his powers came from, though is he going to Alexandria/Starting Location just because it's a big place and he feels like he might find someone in that mass of people to help him explain? That's possible since there are scholars and other interested parties that might know a lot about true elves, but if he's going there looking for an actual true elf, he would have issues.

It's very unlikely that one would find a true elf in the city, they're very rare both in terms of population and the fact that they tend to avoid the civilized areas of other races. It's not completely impossible, but the most likely true elves visiting a city are probably some kind of delegation or ambassador--not easy people to secure an audience with. I'm fine with rolling with this either way you prefer, I'm just curious. Other than that, everything looks great, I'll add you to the list shortly!
I added a single extra line to make his motives a little more clearer. He's going to Alexandria not to find a true elf, not even to find a great library with knowledge, but to find a sage that can explain to him in simple wordings what's going on.
Old Mar 30th, 2021, 10:58 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12507
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shula View Post
Almost did a grung just 'cause your name.
Every so often, I think about applying to a game as Haf, the frogman. But it never quite materializes.
Old Mar 30th, 2021, 03:17 PM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
@triedtherest
If your bard is the college-going type, then it's wholly possible that they graduated from a magical academy, yes, or even just a regular university, the most prestigious of which would be located in Svietsylvania's Nevarynn City.

@Maestrocity
Ahh, got it. Well, my guess wasn't too far off, then. Thanks for the clarification!
Old Mar 30th, 2021, 08:11 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafrogman View Post
Every so often, I think about applying to a game as Haf, the frogman. But it never quite materializes.
I wished they'd do the grippli so there's a good frogfolk unlike the grung.
Old Mar 30th, 2021, 11:08 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1208
Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod
My application of Wrex is complete. I may tune it up minutely as we approach the deadline.
Old Mar 31st, 2021, 04:59 PM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
@Jrod

Thanks, I have you updated.

On another note, I also added triedtherest's application to the table. Sorry, I sometimes forget that's a thing. It's not something that's usually included in the app post on forums where I played before this one.

Interestingly enough, I seem to have been granted my forum a little early, which is nice. I'll poke around with posting a few introductory bits there and then pop a link here so people can visit if they like.

One more thing, I've noticed that several applications look complete, but they're either still marked WIP or I haven't heard otherwise. Please note that if you don't mark your app complete or make a post here letting me know by the time the ad closes, I generally assume you lost interest and skip those apps when I'm doing my final eval. So if you're done, please tell me so I can mark you as such on my table. If you're already listed as Complete on my table, though, you're good! Thanks for that!

Last edited by briar; Mar 31st, 2021 at 05:00 PM.