User Statistics
RPXP: 4113
Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik
”Lizardfolk”

Character Name: Aster Basil
Race: Lizardfolk
Class: Sorcerer (Aberrant Mind) 1 / Ranger 2
Background: Inheritor
Personality Trait: I judge people by their actions, not their words.
I place no stock in wealthy or well-mannered folk. Money and manners won't save you from a hungry owlbear.
Ideal: There's no good in pretending to be something I'm not.
Bond: I protect those who cannot protect themselves.
Flaw: There's no room for caution in a life lived to the fullest.

descriptionAster was short for his kind, but overall looked like any other lizardfolk. His frame was lean. His scales were white with a hint of green. He had a large snout that produced a gravely voice. His tail is long and two tiny horns jut out on of his head above his ears. Where he really differed, something he inherited from one of his distant relatives, was long floppy ears, thick white sideburns and a ponytail.

PersonalityAster believes action is more important than reputation, blood or things. He has found words are what shape the direction of society and eventually the world. We must provide hope, be charitable and forgive. Aster can heard saying frequently. Aster has a strict moral code which he follows that deals with alot of don’ts; something he finds that he fails at frequently. Above all else Aster believes the world, nature, as a whole needs to be protected.

BackstoryAster inherited from his fathers family an odd genetic anomaly which provided him with rabbit looking ears and human hair. The hair only grows on the top and back of his head and along his jaw line. Along with the anomalies came the ability to produce magic. Aster kept this magic hidden from any who came from outside his village. However, those in the village, whose families and along with his that had grown up together over the many centuries, knew and helped him learn. Once Aster was able to manage these inherited abilities he took to training, like a few of the others, in skills that are somewhat common and have always benefited the village.

Aster, since his village is deep within the marshes that reside just outside of the jungles of Kalystria, only knows a tiny bit about the other races' history. Recently those of other races traversing via wagons are appearing more often passing by the village to avoid the jungle and the dragons within. Each visit the villagers have learned more and more about the outside world.

ooc Hello! Been on this site for awhile and still getting used to 5e. Been playing DnD for a long time (early 80's). Fairly new to anime. My 4 kids are into it. Just got done watching Dr. Stone and loved it. I am an open book so if you have any questions for me ask away.

Last edited by Kshnik; Apr 6th, 2021 at 01:00 PM.
Old Mar 31st, 2021, 09:58 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1208
Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod
@Briar- tough choices ahead. Lots of good apps. Some of the most unique characters I’ve ever seen
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 03:10 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2362
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
My application for Merrick/Vi'ahris is now complete, subject to any needed alterations of course.
Old Apr 2nd, 2021, 01:13 AM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3095
briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar
Hhmk, now that my dog's birthday party is all done...

@Kshnik
Unless I am mistaken, I believe Rabbitfolk is an Unearthed Arcana/Playtest race, and as a result, is not available for play. Sorry~

@Jrod
Choices that aren't hard aren't worth making.

@triedtherest
Awesome, I'll mark you complete. Everything looks to be in order, I don't have anything to contest. There will still be a bit of a gap, of course, since Nevarynn City is quite a long way from Ashrim, but mayhap he's decided to travel a bit. Nevarynn is a city of secrets, after all, and the twists and turns of the political tide there is labyrinthine on good days, Tomb of Horrors on bad ones. It might seem like a good place to start a con, but he would no doubt find himself quickly routed by the world-class charlatans that call themselves nobles there.

Ashrim's political and social scene is a far cry tamer, and a much better place to get one's footing. An ideal choice for a newly graduated bard and con artist to ply both his trades in short order.
Old Apr 2nd, 2021, 02:56 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2362
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Thanks for the feedback. I figured that he would be considered "small-fry" by the major con-artists out there, and way out of his league, which was why I had him acting as an information broker rather than running cons. I left the length of time since his graduation vague so as to give time for him to gravitate toward where he needs to be.
Old Apr 2nd, 2021, 06:59 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4180
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Application for Chronicles of Nevermore
right-aligned image

Name:
Horace Bashiri

Race:
Vedalken

Class:
Artificer 1/Wizard (Chronurgy) 2

Alignment:
Lawful Neutral

Description: ”You’ll have to excuse me – I – I’m afraid I haven’t seen my appearance in quite some time. Ever, actually, now that I think about it. Hmm… let’s see what’s around me. No, no mirror’s handy, but – ah! that will do. This small pond should suit my needs just fine. Hmm. Blue skin, yes, that I remember. Violet eyes, very nice. No nose to speak of – who needs them? No ears – well, that might be a problem. Hmm, let’s see… LA-LA-LA-LAAAAH! No, I can hear just fine, so that’s alright. I seem to be… fairly tall. Not as tall as that tree, but a good foot or two taller than that fence. What else… Hair? No hair, not even a moustache. That’s alright, I never much liked moustaches anyway… I think. And my outfit, let’s see. For clothes, I’m wearing – GOOD LORD! Well, that certainly seems to explain the draft I’m feeling. But why am I not wearing any clothes? And for that record, where am I?

And more importantly than that, who am I?”

Background: ”Alright, now that I’m somewhat clothed here by what looks like a- a sack of some kind, meant to contain what look to be brown, ovoid root vegetables, let’s see what I can recall.

I recall… “

The puzzled vedalkan looks around him, his mind desperately trying to find a mental handhold to cling to. His memories are flashing lights behind a thick cloud of fog, illuminating briefly and just as quickly obscured. His skin is smooth like that of a young one of his kind, as though he had only just come of age, but in truth, the vedalken is over 1,000 years old. Or, to be more specific, he has lived for a thousand years. He recalls none of it, and for good reason.

This being, who will shortly discover the charred remains of his spellbook, is named Horace Bashiri, and there was a time when he was one of the most powerful wizards in all the land. That is no longer the case, the result of a cataclysmic occurrence involving Horace’s dabbling in chronurgy. In another universe, another timeline, Horace Bashiri was an ancient wizard. His age was not natural, the product of a unique combination of technology and time magic that Horace had used to extend his life more than twice that of what a vedalken would naturally live. Horace had become an incredibly powerful – and deadly – wizard of the highest order, and this power made him a threat in his own timeline. Convinced that he had no other way out from those who sought to strip him of his rightful powers, Horace unleashed a device which, according to his calculations, would have stopped time for everyone but himself in his timeline. What actually happened was perhaps the intervention of fate, or karma, or luck, or just a missed decimal point. The explosion which ripped apart his laboratory ruptured the space-time continuum, but only within the confines of Horace's domicile. Those outside the building were fine; but all of the wizard’s possessions – as well as all of the wizard – were obliterated in his universe, his own time. Where once stood a building was now an empty lot.

Cut to the current timeline, about ten minutes ago. A pile of charred wood, pulverized stone, and buckets and buckets of ash suddenly appear in an empty lot and fall in a wide radius across what had once been a lush green lawn. A body – a nude, blue body – appears. Or, to be more specific, it begins to piece itself together one atom at a time, falling into a body-shaped space the way falling grains of sand conform to the bottom of an hourglass. The atoms finish coalescing, and with a sputtering cough, the figure takes its first breath in this universe, on this timeline. He is disoriented, his eyes blinking suddenly against the bright flash and intense heat that is… not there. His hands, raised in a warding-off gesture, lower slowly, whatever threat they had attempted to shield him from no longer present.

The figure takes some time to reorient itself to its environment. He looks at a nearby pond and observes an unfamiliar face. He finds a cast-off, muddy sack that once held potatoes and clothes itself. He looks around, trying to recall something, anything, and happens to see the massive debris field that he has been unknowingly walking in. His feet are covered in soot, and he cuts his heel on a sliver of pulverized stone, or twisted metal – it’s too charred to tell. His blood is warm, and the pain is new to this body. He finds tears coming to his eyes.

He finds a scrap of book, only a few pages, and nearby the remnants of what appears to be a pouch of some sort. Inside, he finds a number of metal coins, fused together by some sort of intense heat. He looks again at the scrap of book, and on the inside cover he finds some runes. He doesn’t know how he recognizes them, but he does. Horace Bashiri, they say, and this seems familiar to him, though he could not say why. There are only a few readable pages, each full of different runes that are equally familiar. He practices reading some of them, his hands moving in patterns he cannot recall ever learning, and suddenly four equal orbs of light begin to swirl around in the air. The fact that he was able to perform this miracle so suddenly should have made him fearful… but in this timeline, Horace Bashiri has no memory of the man he once was, of the threat he once posed to those around him, or the power he once had in his grasp. No, he’s not fearful. Horace is curious, intrigued by the mystery this book has suddenly presented him with. And more than that – he’s excited. Because for such a world to present him with such a marvelous gift, what other wonderful mysteries must be out there, just waiting to be discovered?

OOCHi, I’m Ben, and I am addicted to this website. I love my characters and the fun that comes with trying new things. This is my first time trying out multi-classing with a character, and I had a lot of fun coming up with his “backstory” – or lack thereof. Even his name I tried to liken to the theme of time - Horace means "man of time" or "timekeeper, and Bashiri looks to mean "foreteller." I liked the idea of giving some extra flavor to his being a chronurgy wizard, by trying to use his control of time to extend his life, only for it to go horribly wrong. Whether he was evil in that other timeline, I have no idea; he was certainly chaotic. Not so much now; now, he’s just intrigued by everything around him and wants to discover it all. I think it’s well in keeping with him being “skillful but not an expert,” and most definitely everything will be new, interesting and mysterious – perhaps too much so? Also, as I was writing out his background, I realized that since his memory was wiped, he lost any sort of conceited attitude he had when I was first envisioning him. Now he's more like a curious little boy (of 40 years old), so I changed up some of the background choices. I think they make him more fun.

As far as expectations go, it’s basically what I always want out of a game. I want everyone who is a part of the game to remain committed (obviously, life happens while we’re busy making other plans), but beyond that, I just like being a part of neat stories and interacting with interesting characters. Rolling dice is fun too, but role-play is more fun than roll-play, at least in a forum setting.

Thanks for considering my application!

Last edited by Noquarter19; Apr 6th, 2021 at 05:46 AM.
Old Apr 2nd, 2021, 09:05 AM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
@triedtherest
Thanks, I appreciate that. Having holes in the backstory gives plenty of room to customize and thread in some new intrigue later on.

@NoQuarter19
I'm fine with the Vedalken provided you're playing the one from the Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica and not the version from Planeshift or UA. I'm not familiar with Chronurgy, nor even anything in CriticalRole's Wildemount or whatever sourcebook, but...I guess it is technically WotC published, so we can try it. You'll be my guinea pig to test whether or not I like it, though.
Old Apr 2nd, 2021, 10:02 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4113
Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik
No worries had a plan in place for that. Instead of a rabbit who inherited some odd useless genetics from a lizard/kolbold. I have a lizard who inherited some odd useless genetics from a rabbit. Same picture, same class just some slight adjustments. All UA out of the picture now. If this works I will work on the backstory and also be adding to description and personality.

Last edited by Kshnik; Apr 2nd, 2021 at 10:10 AM.
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 02:18 AM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2389
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
My app is finished, if able I'd appreciate some feedback.
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 12:22 PM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
I'll see about getting a short bit of reviewing in tonight after cooking and streaming is done.
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 09:43 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 38
emanb29
Orryn Whistlespell - Sorcerer Application

Orryn Whistlespell
left-aligned image

Name: Orryn Whistlespell
Race: Gnome (Forest)
Class: Sorcerer (Clockwork Soul)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral (but lacking enough real world experience for this to be well-defined)

Backstory
Orryn's life so far has been inexorably tied to that of his grandfather. Because Orryn's mother was unwed, and died during childbirth, Orryn was taken in and raised by his grandfather, Reshik Whistlespell. Reshik raised Orryn as his own, caring for Orryn in his retirement burrow, through to adulthood. Orryn and Reshik lived in peace and solidarity, which kept Orryn relatively sheltered. Orryn often begged Reshik to allow him to venture out and explore the world, but his grandfather was insistent that Orryn should ignore his wanderlust for the sake of safety. Indeed, Orryn was often envious of Reshik's tales of adventure, but tried to live vicariously through those stories.

Reshik, being a rather experienced (around 10th level) sorcerer of a Wild Magic origin, had been a mercenary in his youth. Brave, brash, and even careless, Reshik had played fast and loose with his abilities. Reshik was fortunate, and things generally worked out for him, until, of course, they didn't. On one particularly daring adventure, Reshik and his gang were providing support to a band of Verse's (Versian?) paladins. Fighting monsters alongside the paladins, Reshik had carelessly targeted a paralyzing spell, when a wild magic surge overtook him. Rather than paralyzing the monsters he was fighting, Reshik rendered his paladin allies defenseless. In moments, three of the paladins were slaughtered, unable to defend themselves. Verse, angered by Reshik's carelessness, imposed the Curse of Order upon Reshik's bloodline. For three generations, Reshik's descendants would bear a Clockwork Soul rather than Reshik's Wild Magic. The careful usage of their powers to enforce order would balance out Reshik's chaotic nonchalance.

Orryn inherited this curse, and resented it. Reshik believed Orryn's magic to be a weak facmile of Reshik's own. Therefore, Orryn's sheltered lifestyle was, in part, an attempt by Reshik to prevent the boy from relying on what he saw as a "handicapped" power. However, Verse is the god of Patience, and of the Seasons. As Reshik aged into his winter, his mind began to fail. Orryn, coming of age at 40 years old, tended to Reshik's care. Over twenty years, Reshik grew more and more senile, and his Wild Magic became more and more of a problem. Spontaneous fires, insect plagues, and earth tremors threatened Orryn's safety as well as his own. However, Orryn, endowed with a Clockwork Soul, learned to tap his sorcerous powers to contain his grandfather's chaotic magic, and prevent disaster.

In this way, Orryn learned much about his Clockwork Soul and learned how to manifest his bloodline's powers to enforce order and protect himself and the ones he loves. After twenty long years, and innumerable near-disasters, Reshik passed away peacefully in his sleep. Now Orryn, unconstrainted by his late grandfather's prejudices, is beginning to feel comfortable with his Clockwork Soul. Orryn's gnomish desire for adventure has never faded, and so he sets out to explore the lands around him, never looking back. Orryn knows little of the world, but nevertheless intends to make his mark on it. He will be no passive observer: he will protect those in need, but most importantly, he will make the Whistlespell name famous!

Background: Hermit
Trait: I am utterly serene, even in the face of disaster
Ideal: Logic
Bond: I will honor and expand my family's legacy
Flaw: Even after becoming familiar with my powers, I am plagued by self-doubt and struggle to see myself as a "real sorcerer"

Player Intro
Hi, I'm Ethan! I'm relatively new to D&D. I've played in a few play by post campaigns, as well as a few short in-person campaigns. I've found I prefer the PbP format, as I feel better able to convey my intentions while role-playing via text (I'm not great at improv).

My favorite parts of D&D (perhaps not exactly "expectations") are role-playing character interactions, as well as interacting with world set pieces.

I'm decent with the basics of RPG combat, and I tend to expect that while players may strategize a bit out-of-character, those strategies should never result in actions party members wouldn't realistically choose.

Of course, being new, I might struggle with remembering the occasional rule (espescially around minutia like item management), but I'm happy to be corrected and always up to learn! In that vein, @briar, I hope I'm not too presumptive about Verse in my backstory, but if so, I'm happy to revise!

I have a rather flexible schedule, and as such expect to post 4 to 6 times per week.

Last edited by emanb29; Apr 5th, 2021 at 03:34 PM.
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 03:05 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1715
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
Sorry, I'm gonna withdraw my app as I have too many cats to herd at the moment..

@Briar, you have clearly built a great world, have fun!

To the chosen few, happy gaming!
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 07:35 AM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
@Ursinorum
Aw, that's too bad, but I completely understand. I appreciate players that can recognize when they're overloaded and step out instead of just trying to power through having to drop after the game has already started. Thanks for letting me know~

@Jasontheswift
The character concept is, for the most part, pretty solid. Level 1 is quite early to be considered a fully-fledged Temple Knight, however, given that they're supposed to be an elite vanguard of holy warriors. I do like the conflict between him and his brother, very Thor x Loki, and I can see a lot of ways it could be used later on in the story. It was a bit difficult to follow, but it seems like the character has good motivation and inner turmoil, and has potential to really grow over the course of a campaign.

@emanb29
This curse doesn't really seem like much of a punishment, really, save for it being a hit to Reshik's pride. I'm not entirely against Verse bestowing a curse due to negligence, though I actually feel like that would be more Hrist's department. I'm a bit confused, though. You picked 'family first' as your character's bond, but what family does he have left? In the same vein, what are his motivations going forward? What does he want to do with his life now that it's actually his own?
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 12:47 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 38
emanb29
@briar, the "Curse of Order" is how Reshik perceives it. It's not really supposed to be a curse so much as a lesson. Reshik was careless and chaotic, and embraced that. Now, his descendants will be forces for order and organization. They will learn the value of order (as in Orryn's caring for a senile Reshik).

I might be misusing "bond", I'll go back and change that when I think of a better one. You are right, Orryn is currently without family. The idea was that Orryn will be strongly motivated to reunite/protect families, and if he grows to view someone as part of his "family", he will spare no sacrifice for them. As for motivations going forward, I'll update to reflect this more. Basically, though, Orryn is quite naive and sheltered, and doesn't really have goals beyond a short-sighted "see the world!"
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 02:33 PM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2389
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
@Briar, I will rework the Temple Knight part. My mistake I took it as that is the paladin equivalent, I'll rework that and refine the app ASAP.