Notices

Old May 13th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 235
Codex Sparks Codex Sparks Codex Sparks
Discussion thread

As per usual, here is the tread for any OOC discussions. Also, please post what your character is doing to prepare for the Celebration in the game thread.

Last edited by Codex Sparks; May 13th, 2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old May 13th, 2017, 02:14 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3225
Silverscale Silverscale Silverscale Silverscale Silverscale Silverscale Silverscale Silverscale Silverscale Silverscale Silverscale
Wonderful to be part of this. I will be posting my character soon. Might be a bit slow on my first Game Post, I have to do something and it might be too late for me to post when I get back home.

I think I got the character sheet correct, not so sure though. I will fill up the other two concepts on the sheet later. One Quote and One Background concept right?

Last edited by Silverscale; May 13th, 2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old May 13th, 2017, 05:20 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I'm not picky about what those two aspects are. You certainly may do a quote and a background aspect, but I'm also fine with two of one or something else entirely.
Old May 13th, 2017, 05:52 PM
This Guy!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11546
JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons
Checking in. I'll take a look through the rules and try to figure out the sheet.

Edit: Got a rough draft sheet up, though I'm still trying to figure out how everything works, and figuring out the other aspects and stunts. I can see what I want her to do in my head, at least. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Last edited by JackinIrons; May 13th, 2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old May 14th, 2017, 04:21 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Silverscale Silverscale Silverscale Silverscale Silverscale Silverscale Silverscale Silverscale Silverscale Silverscale Silverscale
Here's two suggestions.

1: Give yourself a kitchen based weapon. Sort of like a [Favourite Kitchen Knife] or a [Mother's Rolling Pin].

Here's a link I found that might be useful. https://fate-srd.com/war-ashes/stunts

2: Always Making Useful Things. You don’t ever have to spend a fate point to declare that you have the proper tools for a particular job using Crafts, even in extreme situations (like being imprisoned and separated from all your stuff). This source of opposition is just off the table.

Also I have updated my character sheet.

My two new aspects are

Quote: "Do not anger the Beast."

Background: Unknown Arcane Prodigy

Noticed I had 3 Fates/Refresh left so I used 1 of them to buy myself a stunt for attacking with magic at range, which will be pointless in my animal forms but hey, could be useful.

Arcane Bolt: Use Magic to attack at Range.

UPDATE: I have added my game thread post. Wild Shape has made an ice sculpture of a flower for the Summer Sun Celebration, sort of like an oxymoron using a sculpture of ice in the shape of a summer flower for the summer celebration.I was uncertain if he was meant to roll anything for this, but I took it for RP flavoring so I just posted what he was doing. If I went too fast, or picked something too weird for him to make, then tell me and I will edit as soon as I can.

Last edited by Silverscale; May 14th, 2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old May 14th, 2017, 12:41 PM
Mmmm, crunchy.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7465
Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer
I just looked over the character sheet thing and noticed there was an extra stunt for Earth ponies. I'll adjust my refresh accordingly because most, if not all, the stunts I chose are special talent related.
Old May 14th, 2017, 02:53 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
JackinIrons: For stunt ideas, some of the enhancements on these would work well for you: https://fate-srd.com/venture-city/fire-projection https://fate-srd.com/venture-city/telekinesis
You certainly don't have to use those and may feel free to make up your own ideas, but they sound like what you mentioned wanting.

Silverscale: In this case I'm going to agree with letting the spellcasting be part of the roleplaying on grounds that there is no pressure regarding this. I will often in the future require unicorns to specifically look up a spell before using it if its not related to their talent, but Wild Shape would have had plenty of time to do so. I would like a crafts check or a magic check with a -2 (to represent using the skill for something another skill is better suited for without a stunt) to see how well they come out (for possible later roleplaying).

Cereal Nommer: Sounds good.

Everyone: For the record, I think the best way to represent Fate dice rolls is 4d3-8+modifiers. If there's a better way or I made a mistake in that, please tell me. Edit: Actually, see the next post.

Last edited by Codex Sparks; May 14th, 2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old May 14th, 2017, 02:59 PM
Mmmm, crunchy.

Tools
User Statistics
Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer
Fate dice are supported by the roller.
Dice Fate dice roll for an Average skill:
4dF+1 (-1, -1, 1, -1)+1 Total = -1
Old May 14th, 2017, 05:54 PM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22142
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
Well I'm putting my character together and had a couple of questions. For one, it says that earth ponies have the ability to manipulate plant growth and the like. But Gearshift grew up on a mountain and her family just bought their food from the market when they went to town to trade in their gems. She doesn't know the first thing about horticulture, farming, or any of that and has never had any experience with plants at all, so it doesn't make a lot of sense that she'd have some intrinsic affinity with them. But she does know rocks. So could I trade out that aspect of earth ponies for a bonus skill in geology?

Secondly her special talent revolves around her skill with invention. Basically if she can imagine something, her special talent will get her there. It's almost like researching a magic spell except she builds a machine to do much of the same thing. She will definitely have the Always Making Useful Things stunt, but that doesn't seem to quite go far enough for what I had in mind. Would a stunt for her mechanics skill that allows her to invent and build something crazy for a scene or two be an appropriate use of her bonus talent-related stunt? Such inventions will always break or be taken apart once their usefulness has ended, it's not like she'll have a collection of doomsday weapons littering her lawn. No... not at all...

Oh! And speaking of mechanics, considering the nature of her talent, can I use mechanics as a stand-in for her magic skill? I just don't see her as being very magic-oriented at all, in fact she's one of those heretic ponies who insists that magic is just science we haven't explained yet.
Old May 14th, 2017, 07:26 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I'm willing to work with the idea of trading out that facet of Earth Ponies. I'm going to say that its a different expression of an Earth pony's connection to the Earth, and treat Maud Pie as a precedent for such things.

With regards to invention, it might be worth taking a look at the gadget rules, since I'll probably be using those for the results of your inventions, and then from there you could try having some stunts in reserve for when you build gadgets to temporarily absorb the refresh cost listed for stunts. To put it another way (since I don't feel like that was clear), at the start of a session those stunts wouldn't be doing anything for you, but you can use the Crafts skill to make gadgets, and when you do, those gadgets can have stunts who's cost is paid for by your stunts. Then, when you dismantle or loose the gadget in question, it opens the stunt back up to be used for something else.

With regards to the magic, science stuff would be handled by the Crafts skill instead of the magic skill. If your character doesn't make use of magic, then don't select it as one of your skills. Though remember that most magical Earth ponies and Pegasi don't seem magic oriented. I would consider Applejack and Rainbow Dash to be good examples of high magic skill without seeming magical in a normal sense.

Last edited by Codex Sparks; May 14th, 2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old May 14th, 2017, 09:15 PM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22142
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
Ah trading plants for rocks seems like a much simpler solution, and as you said, it's been done several times before so that's simple enough.

I wasn't familiar with the rules on gadgets and gear but that looks like what I had in mind so that works out well. I think I'm just a little lost as to what exactly the magic skill would represent in this case. What would be the difference between a mechanics (read as a specialization of craft) and magic skill in her case? Of course I'm looking at cartoony inventions that would never work in the "real world" but work here because magic is everywhere, but would her mechanical skill translate to "magic when used to build stuff"? Really I'm just looking at what the difference is and if she would need both to function.
Old May 14th, 2017, 10:01 PM
This Guy!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11546
JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons
Those look pretty good. For the amount of stunts, (Not including earth ponies), it remains 3 stunts, and 3 refresh points, and to five with 1 refresh rate? Or are we using the Venture City rules, where we get 3 points to spend on power effects?

And for the powers, 1 point gets you the basic power, with 1 drawback and 1 collateral damage effect and the enhancements and synergies cost 1 point each?
Old May 15th, 2017, 01:59 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I used the Venture Rules to get my Shapeshifting Ability. The cost was as following. 1 point for Basic Power with 1 Drawback and 1 Collateral Damage, Enchantments, Boosts and Synergies costs 1 point each, and you can add 1 Drawback for -1 point cost.

Oh and JackinIrons? You do not need a Stunt for telekinesis. Codex has made the magic rule for telekinesis for unicorns a skill use.

Quote:
"For the magic system, I am setting it up with a single magic skill which works differently for each pony type. For unicorns, it is used for telekinesis, plus it powers stunts to represent skills tied to the unicorn's special talent."

Last edited by Silverscale; May 15th, 2017 at 02:06 AM.
Old May 15th, 2017, 10:50 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
PalladiaMors: Your character's magic skill would represent the Earth pony magic in them, which functionally makes them physically stronger and represents their connection to the Earth. It is effectively physique with a few added effects that probably won't come up that often. In contrast, your character's mechanics/crafts skill would represent the inventing and creation you've been talking about, and would not require use of the magic skill unless the device is explicitly magical or made to interact with magic (ex: Twilight's scanning devices from the Pinkie Sense episode).

JackinIrons: It is 3 stunts and 3 refresh, you can spend a point of refresh to get another stunt, or two to get two. I'm not giving the extra points as described by Venture City. Also, any full powers as described in Venture City (including drawbacks, collateral, ect. rather than just taking individual stunts out of them), I retain the right to later require revision of if they prove to be overpowered. And Silverscale is correct that you already have telekinesis as a unicorn. Just like a pegasus getting the flight base power would be redundant.

Silverscale: I think that's all correct.
Old May 16th, 2017, 12:08 AM
Mmmm, crunchy.

Tools
User Statistics
Sorry, I've been slow to post. Mother's day weekend has kept me busy. I'll get something up soon.