Old Sep 17th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 930
J2B J2B J2B J2B J2B J2B J2B J2B
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihinka View Post
@silverfeathers Hi. Would you consider a revised ranger who formed a begrudging relationship with a hawk/falcon that could serve as a companion for the beast enclave ranger option at lvl 3? Since the hawk is not one of the animals that you can select as the companion.

If you would, I might have a character idea to put into this.
You can use the stats and features of a eagle and revamp it in a halk
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 01:37 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10161
ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2B View Post
You can use the stats and features of a eagle and revamp it in a halk
I'm pretty sure there are stats for hawk in the MM, but there is still no flying animal listed as a possible pick for the beast enclave companion, hence why I asked the DM for ruling
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 04:14 PM
Peace was never an option
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame DM 2017

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35380
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner
I've had some other commitments come up so I am going to need to withdraw my application.
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 04:38 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
I'm pretty sure there are stats for hawk in the MM, but there is still no flying animal listed as a possible pick for the beast enclave companion, hence why I asked the DM for ruling
Well... flying animals are like a supercheat as companions. They can't get hurt if they fly away from the enemies and they doesn't suffer from difficult terrain so making the attack combo is too easy... Why don't you use a wolf instead? They have the feat of pack wolf that gives him advantage in attack rolls if he attacks the same enemy than his comrades!:P

I have this idea of a halfling or a gnome using a wolf as a mount and doing a warcry!

I planned to play that eventually, a forest gnome would work the best!!!
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 05:08 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2B View Post
Well... flying animals are like a supercheat as companions. They can't get hurt if they fly away from the enemies and they doesn't suffer from difficult terrain so making the attack combo is too easy... Why don't you use a wolf instead? They have the feat of pack wolf that gives him advantage in attack rolls if he attacks the same enemy than his comrades!:P

I have this idea of a halfling or a gnome using a wolf as a mount and doing a warcry!

I planned to play that eventually, a forest gnome would work the best!!!
The hawk is a tiny beast, it does 1 damage, it doesn't even have a die for damage. It would be useless in a fight anyway. And the idea I have for the character's backstory doesn't work with a wolf. Plus, a flying creature could still cause attack of opportunity if it moves out of an enemy's melee range so there is that. I have no desire to cheat. The hawk would be mostly an RP addition, rather than something with any mechanical merit to it, aside from scouting, hunting for small game and the likes.

And to be honest, for me the wolf companion is a bit cliche. *shrug*
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 05:12 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6817
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
I have a beast master ranger that has a hawk companion, it's quite good for scouting and such, The GM allowed that since my character has been a companion with the hawk for some time, they had generated some kind of code of clicks and chirps in order to relay simple information to one another.
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 05:31 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
The hawk is a tiny beast, it does 1 damage, it doesn't even have a die for damage. It would be useless in a fight anyway. And the idea I have for the character's backstory doesn't work with a wolf. Plus, a flying creature could still cause attack of opportunity if it moves out of an enemy's melee range so there is that. I have no desire to cheat. The hawk would be mostly an RP addition, rather than something with any mechanical merit to it, aside from scouting, hunting for small game and the likes.

And to be honest, for me the wolf companion is a bit cliche. *shrug*
HAAAAA... I thought you wanted something like a medium size animal that can do damage but if it is like the familiar spell version for a ranger, then it is ok!. I aprove it!

Last edited by J2B; Sep 17th, 2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 05:35 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Yup, that's actually exactly it! I've always been disappointed that you can mechanically get a companion only through the familiar spell and the Beast Master. Or the DM's mercy
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 06:13 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Yup, that's actually exactly it! I've always been disappointed that you can mechanically get a companion only through the familiar spell and the Beast Master. Or the DM's mercy
Well, that's nice. I like the familiar spell a lot!

Last edited by J2B; Sep 17th, 2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 08:25 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 263
Invictus Invictus Invictus
Quote:
I saw a game where a PC started out as a plain old pseudo-dragon as his 1st level and was the wizard's familiar...
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 09:02 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3687
silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers
Quote:
@silverfeathers Hi. Would you consider a revised ranger who formed a begrudging relationship with a hawk/falcon that could serve as a companion for the beast enclave ranger option at lvl 3? Since the hawk is not one of the animals that you can select as the companion.

If you would, I might have a character idea to put into this.
I am going to say no to the revised ranger. The revised ranger is little bit over kill for the sake of this campaign, as much I find the the revised ranger an improvement in some aspects, it will be overpowered and not fit well with a larger party for Juiblex. But I will say yes to the hawk/falcon companion. Pull stats from the MM or modify raven stats.
Tower graduate #820
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 09:03 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3687
silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avner View Post
I've had some other commitments come up so I am going to need to withdraw my application.
Very well Avner, I will remove you from the list. Thank you for the application and expressing interest. I wish you the best in your other endeavors.
Tower graduate #820
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 02:25 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfeathers View Post
I am going to say no to the revised ranger. The revised ranger is little bit over kill for the sake of this campaign, as much I find the the revised ranger an improvement in some aspects, it will be overpowered and not fit well with a larger party for Juiblex. But I will say yes to the hawk/falcon companion. Pull stats from the MM or modify raven stats.
I'm fine using the none revised ranger. And thanks for the hawk/falcon, I'll use the hawk stats from the MM. And I'll have an app for you later today
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 02:52 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I will have to finish the rest tomorrow or the day after as I will be travelling for a couple of days and have to get up really early tomorrow and need to go to bed in a decent time. But I wanted to at least input the stats for the hawk, since I wouldn't have access to the MM on my phone. Which I will be using to hammer out the rest of my app.

Application Complete
right-aligned image
Name: (Lady) Malovinda Rostek Strugfalten von Brum; just call her Mal
Race: Protector Aasimar
Class: Ranger
Alignment: CG
Appearance: Mal is tall and austere looking. She is lithe and fit from long treks through the woods. She has a short, unruly auburn hair and dark-brown, almost black, eyes. Her facial features are quite aristocratic, with high cheekbones, straight nose and rich lips.

Mel adorns her armor and clothing with very unusually colored hawk feathers. Her bow is also adorned with the same feathers and her arrows are fletched with the same, unusual, charcoal feathers.
Personality: Mal is usually quite and subdued. Having lived for as long as she had with her duplicitous family, she prefers to speak with her actions and to judge people and creatures by their actions. She would sooner speak with woodland creatures than most people. However, if you have managed to prove your worth to her and Charc, her faithful companion, she will be as kind to you as she is to her beloved forest creatures.

Personality Trait: I feel tremendous empathy for all who suffer.

Ideal: Free Thinking. Inquiry and curiosity are the pillars of progress. (Chaotic)

Bond: I entered seclusion to escape from my parents' crazy scheme to mascarade as my dead brother and marry me off to a rich heiress. I must keep on the move lest their spies find me and drag me back to pay one way or another for ruining their plans and reputation.
Especially their reputation!

Flaw: I’d risk too much to uncover a lost bit of knowledge.

Background: Hermit

Writing Sample:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Views:	839
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	77842  

Last edited by ihinka; Sep 22nd, 2018 at 04:07 AM.
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 12:44 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7235
ElvenMaiden ElvenMaiden ElvenMaiden ElvenMaiden ElvenMaiden ElvenMaiden ElvenMaiden ElvenMaiden ElvenMaiden ElvenMaiden ElvenMaiden
Hello, I'd like to apply for your game with one of the characters that I'm fond of but never got a chance to be played in a game.
ApplicationName: Aster Ravenstride
right-aligned image

Race: Half-Elf
Class: Ranger
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Appearance: Aster has long dark brown hair, hazel eyes, and tanned skin. Her clothes are mostly green and brown with toned down gold trims with random embellishments sewn on here and there, seemingly from various regions of the world.