twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 07-16-2017, 02:38 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 340
starscream205 starscream205 starscream205 starscream205
Player order for pbp, is combat initiative still used?

Initiative is used to determine combat order, is it still used in play by post games? What about the order that players post outside of combat?
Old 07-16-2017, 09:47 AM
DnD Grognard. Look it up.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 52865
dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth
I am moving this thread, too, because this part of the site is for SITE related questions (how buttons work, how dice code is written, etc.), not questions about game rules.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:15 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 340
starscream205 starscream205 starscream205 starscream205
I'm not doing well! Don't worry I'll get used to the rules sooner or later
Old 07-16-2017, 02:54 PM

Tools
User Statistics
dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth
Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream205 View Post
I'm not doing well! Don't worry I'll get used to the rules sooner or later
It can be confusing, but it gives us moderators something to do.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:47 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Initiative order is different among Gm's, in my experience.

I typically allow the part to go first, and I sum up the actions/impact, and have the bad guys go. However, for this "leniency", I tend to ask my players to not fuss much when a true surprise round happens, and they get surprised.

Some GM's allow the party one roll for initiative, bad guys another, and both sides act on the group roll.

I've had GM's that very carefully have init listed... and you either post in the order you are supposed to, or you can post any time, but he puts them in initiative order, so you might step up into melee with the bad guy, only to find the mage has fireballed it as you did.

Others simply say "whoever posts first, goes first".

One big key: always let your players know ahead of time which method you intend to use. Nothing like blowing two or three feats on improved initiative, etc., to get a high initiative score, only to find out your GM always give players first, last or it's by post order...
Old 07-26-2017, 09:38 PM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11287
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkoth View Post
Initiative order is different among Gm's, in my experience.

I typically allow the part to go first, and I sum up the actions/impact, and have the bad guys go. However, for this "leniency", I tend to ask my players to not fuss much when a true surprise round happens, and they get surprised.

Some GM's allow the party one roll for initiative, bad guys another, and both sides act on the group roll.

I've had GM's that very carefully have init listed... and you either post in the order you are supposed to, or you can post any time, but he puts them in initiative order, so you might step up into melee with the bad guy, only to find the mage has fireballed it as you did.
Some of us do all three depending on the battle, eh Dirk?
Old 07-26-2017, 09:55 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodine View Post
Some of us do all three depending on the battle, eh Dirk?
To be completely honest, I couldn't tell you with certainty what any of my DM's do.

as a player, my job is to post. I post, and let the DM worry about their initiative system.

After all, in the grand scheme of things, it's a game. It's supposed to be fun for everyone.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:42 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Zenaath7
Thanks to Dirkoth for the clarification here! I'm new to PBP and had been wondering exactly the same thing!
(And thanks to Starscream for the question I didn't know how to ask.)
Old 12-18-2017, 04:28 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
foltor
What I do as DM is roll everyone's initiative. Whichever side has the highest average goes first, in the order of their posts in the case of PCs. But, the creature with the highest individual roll gets an extra action on their turn, so there's still a reward for having a high initiative bonus in a party with good initiative overall.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:33 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 532
Desknight Desknight Desknight Desknight Desknight Desknight
One GM I play with has it where everyone rolls, and all players who come in before an enemy post as they want. Once that batch is in, the GM logs what happens and acts as the enemy before the next batch of players goes. Rinse and repeat. I personally have come to like that way of doing things the best since it allows players some leniency as to when they can post, without completely throwing away the initiative system. All that matters is how many enemy groups the GM puts in

Also sup Star, and Wod I'll post soon I promise

Last edited by Desknight; 01-04-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:44 PM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
BrokenDM
I handle it like this... When I ask for check as the DM I roll for the encounter/creatures or whatnot. Then the group/players all roll. However I do give them a limited time to post their rolls. I will accept the higher roll from the players and use that to determine if the players or enemy/s goes first. I just let the players post in any order. I feel that this helps keep things moving along. Also if a player is late to post others are not waiting for their turn. If someone fails (I understand that this happens now and then) to post then I simply move the game forward.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:21 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35262
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Interesting topic you have resurrected here for what appears to be your first post on site, BrokenDM. Welcome to RPGX.

I've seen various DMs use various mechanics for init.
Most recent one I've been involved with had the DM describing the scene and giving the init value for the monsters. Everyone would roll and if they beat the target value, there subsequent posts/actions would go before the monster.
Everyone could post, but if the init was low, the dm would incorporate their actions after detailing what the monsters did.

Last edited by zevonian; 10-12-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:59 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 141
swampfox1861 swampfox1861
way I run my fights is what each character is doing at the moment and the situation going on at the time.
I rarely if ever use intiative rolls except where both individuals have near identical speed and weapons.

most of the time I know who had intiative which is affected by multiple factors in game...
movement speed...who is caught unawares....if one individual does not see the attack coming and is not aware of it then they have zero defence except for to hit modifiers which affect the to hit roll such as whether the op for is running...range to target....is the character trying to do a snap shot or whatever...who has the fastest weapon and a whole host of other in game factors.
is one individual stunned or knocked off balance..recovering from a blow..readying a swing / strike / thrust...etc.

I go off the flow of the fight and what each individual is doing and that determines the initiative order of attacks.
and of course how inherently fast the foes are...a cat is much faster than a human...so I give cats and felines more movement points and they get quick attacks and swipes in....
unless the animal has been hit..wounded...in shock from a blow...demoralized..pinned...etc...usually they get bonuses to attack first.

that's where the players should be ready to defend against the incoming attacks as they know what they are facing at the time and I watch to see who says things like....''I am ready to dodge....got my shield up...staying out of range...ready to block or pary..etc / that gives the player characters a chance improve their defences...and the chance to avoid incoming expected attacks....like a stated ready action.

intiative takes care of itself and I can picture what each combatant is doing at the time and then describe it in game.
combat is to fluid for me to be rolling intiative a thousand times in game....why I further break down the combat turns into 2 second increments in 3.5.
makes things much easier and realistic.

I use 6 second turns for slower long range skirmishes such as peltasts...skirmishers with slings and archers and missle armed troops as the flight times give the 6 second standard times to work.
close combat with short swords...clubs and knives and butt strikes and shield rim attacks and hilt punches and hand to hand strikes and blocks / parrys are just to fast for a standard 6 sec rnd.
anyway fights are fluid...and the action will sort the initiative out in and of itself when it is run right.

say a opposing individual I am running as a npc is drawing his long sword....not a long action...but still takes time...lets say his spear haft was cut/broken in two and he dropps the haft and is unsheathing his sword.
is the player whom he is facing going to wait for him to draw that blade...not if he has any sense!!!!

the player says I rush him and thrust with my seax (a saxon/Viking single edged knife)....the character was only say six feet away and jnust snapped the foes spear haft with a shield rim strike.
the six feet can be covered in a second easily and a seax is very quick on the thrust.....
so the opponent is forced to do a couple things...either use a block to keep that seax out his neck or vitals (depends on where the players says he is sticking him) or if he has a shield then back pedal and focus on pure defence...he sure as hell is not going to be drawing his blade at this point!!!!

the player has a very light wpn out and its fast.....in a usual 2 sec rnd you can get in 2-3 stabs with a knife.....so its defence vs thrusts or cuts / slashes at that point...but the player took initiative of that stage of the fight when he put the oppenant on pure defence......now the npc is going to try and regain the intiative so he can then kill the players character.....it goes like that unless something happens to alter the sequence of combat events in a encounter.....like on the thrusts (example) is to his inside groin and connects and the blade is driven in deep (at that point I am waiting on the player to tell me whether he is ripping the blade up in a jerking motion or making a draw cut when he pulls it out.

anyway I roll for pain shock of getting stabbed and he fails his will roll....he is in shock and screaming....the player has pure intiative at that point and tells me what he is going to do next as he essentially has a free attack against reduced defences of his foe.....this is the time to drive the blades point up under his chin and drive the blade into the npcs brain....instant kill shot and that encounter is over (unless its a melee fight and the player then has to quickly access the situation around him!)

I rely on a lot of dex rolls and circumstance bonuses and penalties as a fight takes place.
this makes fights gritty and bloody and rememberable!
takes practice to run a fight like this as a dm...but it is fun and intense.
I have had players come out of fights with cuts..their armor banged up..rent..blood splattered all over them....bleeding from cuts..slashes and other wounds..breathing hard and sucking air into their lungs thanking their skill with their weapons and the gods they are alive...or shouting in exultation if their a warrior with that mind set.

that's just me though.

Last edited by swampfox1861; 10-18-2018 at 04:42 AM.