RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > Gaming Advice > DM Screen > DM mentoring
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 12-19-2018, 09:02 PM
Anointed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4560
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
To use Secret text or to not use Secret text. That is the Question!

Hi, I've been working away at getting my Shadowrun game ready for the new year, and the first part is nearing completion. Since the characters were not going to know each other right away, I figured I would put the first post of the game where they were all getting the info for the job from a contact in Secret text's. But I've been thinking about it, and other than possibly being repetitive, they pose no real need to be in Secret text, game wise. My original reasoning for the Secret tags was just because no one will be in the same room with each other.
  • Should I drop the Secret text? Or go with my first idea and keep them?
Each Contact will deliver the same information but given in their own way depending on the contact's personality(which will be supplied by the players at character creation). And I know I can post the whole thing once for everyone, but I've seen that so many times I wanted to do something different.

Mainly looking for opinions here.

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterPosting Status: Normal
Old 12-19-2018, 09:46 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36045
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
What about having the information posted in public post, but use secret text to detail which contacts deliver the individual messages? This way you can use the players' ideas for npcs that their respective characters already know.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:59 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17050
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
For my Shadowrun game each of my players has their own private thread.

For the first chapter I had their contacts contact them in their private thread and then we moved to the general thread. For the second I just had a single contact call all of them and told them where to meet. I do still drop their legwork results in their private threads however just so that they can control what does and doesn't come out.

It honestly boils down to effort vs payoff. Developing these contacts will take a lot of your time especially times 4-6 and will they be an important part of the story?

If yes, then go for it! If not, than be general and then get to the good stuff faster!

When in doubt, ask your players, once selected. Some people like their secrets more than others
Old 12-20-2018, 06:27 PM
Anointed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4560
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Hmm, thanks for the feedback. I might do a bit of both.

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterPosting Status: Normal
Old 02-05-2019, 08:40 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 904
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
I've been using Secret Text quite a few times and then letting my players decide whether or not their characters would reveal the information from Secret Text to the party, an example of such being them finding some alcohol or food, they all have their own private goals/objectives in that system, so it sort of makes more sense for them to be fed information that only their character would know/hear.

Last edited by Marshmallow; 02-05-2019 at 08:40 PM.