Notices

Old 03-14-2019, 10:33 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 109
NoodleThumb NoodleThumb
New to PBP, not to DnD

The title is a little misleading, because I've only been in a couple shorter DnD games and am currently DMing a campaign that's about 12 sessions in. Done a little PF a few years ago as well.

Aaaaanyhow, I'm looking to see how this PBP thing works, since I don't have blocks of time free these days and I still want to play.

From my brief looking around, seems like the best way to get started is practice some dice rolls, post here, then likely start the solo campaign to find my way around posting norms and such?
Old 03-14-2019, 10:48 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13609
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Welcome to the club chummer!

Don't worry about being new, we have the new player solo game for people just like you. You'll select your system and be assigned your own private GM Mentor to show you the ropes and run your first adventure with you. I can't recommend them to you highly enough!

As for your schedule, that's the beauty of PbP. You can post whenever you have fifteen minutes to spare from wherever you have signal!

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you settle in!
If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you oughtta go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:41 AM
Say what now?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2476
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Welcome to the party Noodle

You seem to have the gist of it so I won't bother with the NPSG pitch, its a great way to learn the ropes.

You can also just keep diving into games and see how folks format things and play and as for tags until I got the hang of it I would quote them just to see what tags they used and tried to emulate

The best advice I can give is to check these references while you're getting up to speed and don't listen to anything a user named Lord Ruthers says, he only speaks in riddles and is trying to conquer the world.

references
References

Hope these help, happy adventuring!

"And then Gajine spoke."

Last edited by Retry; 03-14-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:10 PM
Wazdakka: King of Flames!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2665
Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers
Hello and welcome to the site! I hope you find everything you're looking for in our little corner of the internet
Old 03-14-2019, 12:20 PM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18411
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
Good evening NoodleThumb,

Welcome over here and impressive that you are currently DM-ing an adventure. Not sure if I understand correctly that it isn't Pathfinder? Or is it? And are you going to DM us a game as well or do you want to be a player first? It is kinda recommended to get some solo adventure going, it is just very helpful to get a private DM guiding you and answering all your questions.

So tell us some more about the Game you are DM-ing, what characters (races and classes) do you have playing and is it a homebrew adventure or an adventure from a book? Are you DM-ing a game for friends or family?
Old 03-14-2019, 02:38 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 55617
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Welcome!

glad you joined us. Sounds like you have the typical newbie path all figured out. You could also add "head off and explore" to the list, and be just fine too.

Happy gaming!
Old 03-14-2019, 04:30 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 109
NoodleThumb NoodleThumb
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocoladevla View Post
Good evening NoodleThumb,

Welcome over here and impressive that you are currently DM-ing an adventure. Not sure if I understand correctly that it isn't Pathfinder? Or is it? And are you going to DM us a game as well or do you want to be a player first? It is kinda recommended to get some solo adventure going, it is just very helpful to get a private DM guiding you and answering all your questions.

So tell us some more about the Game you are DM-ing, what characters (races and classes) do you have playing and is it a homebrew adventure or an adventure from a book? Are you DM-ing a game for friends or family?
I'm DMing a homebrew adventure for my son (8 years old), with a DMPC to help him along and my sister as a stuck-in-owl-form druidess who conveniently finds ways to briefly return to halfling form whenever my sister happens to be in town.

That campaign started off as Pathfinder, but it quickly become overwhelming for my son, so we swapped over to 5e; that necessitated a fair bit of homebrewing but has smoothed things out substantially. I play a youngish half-elf monk (Way of the Four Elements) on a discernment quest to find his way in the world before potentially dedicating his life to Erastil. My son is a young half-dwarf sorcerer with a substantial amount of frost giant in his lineage who lost his parents and is attempting to avenge his father, which will (I hope) lead him to finding out a lot about the history of his town, his ancestry and an artifact previously lost to time. He will ultimately play a large part in the direction the town takes to come out of the economic and social recession it's in; there are several ways the town could do that, depending on what actions he takes as he comes into his true power. All in all it's a coming-of-age story and I'm sure interested to see where he takes us; I'm truly along for the ride!

Here on the site I'll be a player till I figure out what the heck I'm doing, then I'll decide if DMing is for me. I really hope it is, because I like to build things for people to explore, and shared story telling is something I find myself pining for.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:39 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 55617
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
We love DM's...

players too... but DM's a lot.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:59 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18411
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
Oh wow, that is really awesome you are having so much fun with your 8 year old (and sister ;-) !!!! Thank you for sharing
Old 03-16-2019, 01:14 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 129
PHIL 490 PHIL 490
Welcome

Nice to meet you man, PBP is fun and you should enjoy it!
Old 03-16-2019, 09:27 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2987
Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn
Welcome aboard! Sounds like you had the right approach. Glad to have you hear. Let us know if you need anything as you settle in.

Currently playing in West Marches: Westhaven; West Marches: Everlasting Unknown; and Hoard of the Dragon Queen DMing in West Marches: Westhaven