Game Thread Chapter III: Bonewrack Isle - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Hall of Fame > Hall of Fame Games > Previous Inductees > 2017 > Skull and Shackles
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jul 11th, 2017, 08:24 AM
Captain F-in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25815
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard
Mending FleshBrenden hisses breath through his teeth as the straps of the cat drag welts across his side. He wants to take one of Plugg's hands off and limit the man's options but that would require time and effort that he currently doesn't have. Besmara's gifts slowly ease the burden of that injury but the pain continues. He steps again, another short shuffling of feet that carries him away from Plugg and behind Hurley. He can taste the salt and blood in the air, and that's enough to bring about the favor of the Lady of Waves.

Pressing a hand to the swashbucklers back, where shoulders and neck come together, he pushes the
Dice CLW:
1d8+2 (2)+2 Total = 4
power to mend flesh into Hurley. The man was clearly the superior swordsman among them, at least with Mary occupied elsewhere. Pulling his hand back, he raises the rapier across his chest to ward off any oncoming attacks.

"If you need to catch your breath, now is the time." He shifts his body, allowing space for Hurley to step through if he needs it. Brenden can weather another hit from Plugg if he's lucky, and that might just buy Hurley the time he needs to recover.
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 08:13 PM
Alea Jacta Est.
Hall of Fame DM 2016

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29074
Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11
Wild eyes and bared teeth twitched to the newcomer. Maheem. Mary stepped back, careful to stay out of Scourge's range and grinned suddenly, the animalistic look vanishing. It was a blooming, heartfelt grin like she had displayed upon completion of the wrestling match with the big man. She waved over to Owlbear too, including him if he desired. "Thank ye, Maheem. If'n ye an' tha Ol'bear kinna be keepin' an eye on this yella belly, it be much appreciated! Feel free ta rough him up as he wou' done ta any other. He be needin' ta spend a night o' two in tha brig, me thinkin'."

Turning her head towards the commotion nearby she saw blood and a trio of people trying to coral the impressive Plugg. This was the first time Mary was truly intimidated by the large would be Captain. Perhaps he simply hadn't seemed as threatening in comparison to Harrigan. It made her glad to see that he was bleeding, though the majority of red seemed to be dripping from Hurley and Brenden. Mary's breath was still coming quickly and her stomach ached from the wound there. Spray from the ocean lashed against her hot skin with a light sizzle and she blinked with a sudden idea.

Fighting men were quick to hurt others and just as quick to try and avoid getting hurt. Pirates were notoriously fast with their hands and reactions. Perhaps this could play to their favor. Mary with a rolling deck, this could potentially end up for anyone to grab with a move action. Hurley. dropped the flask she was holding and began twisting her fingers in an intricate pattern. There was no attempt to conceal her casting this time; she made the motions and said the magic words right out in the open and pointed at Plugg. Water was often cool, cold even. But it could be hot. Boiling hot. Ocean mist gathered where she pointed. In an instant, the cutlass in Plugg's hand began to glow red. Would he drop it quickly? She didn't think he was truly brave enough to hold on and see what would happen.

Old Jul 13th, 2017, 08:30 AM
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23434
Neqq Neqq Neqq Neqq Neqq Neqq Neqq Neqq Neqq Neqq Neqq
RecoveringHurley felt a warmth spread through his body from Brenden’s touch and the shadow of imminent death was lift from him. A simple, “Thank you,” was all Hurley could offer in return for the healing magic. In debt to his friend Hurley took Brenden’s advice and for the moment retreated from the grinding melee with Plugg, holding his dagger at eye level he took a quick series of sliding steps that removed him from the reach of the lashing of the whip. The swashbuckler knew he been less than a heartbeat away from death and the insignificance of the weapon in his hand added weight to the realisation.

In the chaos he felt something hit his foot and looking down he saw a flask.

Old Jul 20th, 2017, 12:09 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5892
Dux Dux Dux Dux Dux Dux Dux Dux Dux Dux Dux
Butterfingers?Pari grins as Plugg’s blade is deflected by the water surrounding her, only coming vaguely close to striking her flesh. They had him on edge, that was clear, but that blade was still a danger; a fact made evident by Hurley’s status. Thinking quickly, Pari spins backwards and sends the spray that she was soon to lose control over towards the captain’s weapon - inadvertently providing the fuel for Mary’s spell - aiming to coat it with slippery water before giving one last mental tug. With luck, it would be enough to cause him to drop it, and to prevent him from picking it back up without at least leaving himself open.

Her dance backwards had left Brendan the only one left in melee, which was… unfortunate. Pari wished she had a way to contribute without making herself so open for counterattack. Something to work on if… when… they made it out of this.

Old Jul 20th, 2017, 04:38 PM
Man・Earth・Sky
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame 2015  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame DM 2018

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 63652
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
~Round VII~
Maheem and Owlbear weigh their options.

Owlbear doesn't need much convincing, running past Maheem with a roar and a swing of his club as Mary steps away, the second-in-command ducking below the club and right into a swing by Maheem, the crack of which sends Scourge sprawling on the ground, bleeding and missing some of his yellow teeth. His eyes flutter before he goes limp, passed out from the blow. Scourge is down, and Maheem throws up his beefy Vudran arms. "MAHEEM SWINGS FOR THE WIN!" Yes, he does.

Plugg is too concerned to notice this. Everyone moves around him, a swarm, a pack, and Plugg is irritated. Hurley healed and fleeing, the cutlass in his hand suddenly turns orange with heat and Plugg growls, holding onto the weapon in spite of the burning and raising it, prepares to bring it down on Brenden. But as he does so, the sword raised high, it slips from his hands, a clear muck in his hands telling him something has bewitched his weapon, which flies backwards and into the back side of the ship, just at the edge; it twanges and dances, stuck there. "Ye witches and sea-koonts! I don't need a blade t' see my hands 'bout your neck!"

Using his whip, he flails at Brenden, catching him Attack: 21
Damage: 6 nonlethal
in the face and neck. He then swings at him, with his burnt and blistered hand, and misses completely, growling at the irritation Attack: 14from the wound.

Looking over, he sees Scourge on the ground, and his eyes remain firm, his face curling, aging suddenly. "Blasted bugger, unable to keep his own. I'll see ye all dead, 'nd I'll have my prick in yer eyeholes 'afore yer cold!" He looks to Brenden in particular, and for the first time, the Mwangi sees fear in his eyes.

Old Jul 22nd, 2017, 12:23 PM
Captain F-in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard
Plugg it Up!"See me dead?" And in that moment Brenden's demeanor changes. He casts off the weariness, the pain from the welts and slashes, the fear of death. His head rolls back and laughter cuts through the whipping winds around him. When his eyes level on Plugg, it is with the stare of a thousand lifetimes. "Death is but a stepping stone. I have lived and died and lived again." He pushes forward, one step closer to the man. His sword arm lifts, putting the blade at an angle across his body, to show the lines of red where the cat had managed to tear skin.

"This blood? This isn't just Morri blood, you simpering git. This is Corteva-Munoz blood, the thickest and darkest to ever sail a ship on the Shackles." Another step, his face tight with the all the anger these last twenty days have built in him. "You sail the seas. I AM THE SEAS!" And he swipes the blade in an upward arc, Attack 21 for 6 damagedirecting the tip toward the bastard captain's eyes. His voice is lower then, hissed through gritted teeth as he watches blood gleam on the rapier. "And you have no place here."

Last edited by PopCultureBard; Jul 22nd, 2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 03:59 PM
Alea Jacta Est.
Hall of Fame DM 2016

Tools
User Statistics
Seapray on itA solemn nod of her matted black hair to Owlbear and Maheem. That was one down, though likely alive and forever untrustworthy. Mary almost grinned.

The sight of the others around Plugg was discomforting and infuriating. Her legs would have stormed in to make Plugg pay had she still have been fresh from the heat of her battle with the former First. As it was, she had cooled off enough to realize that Hurley was not doing well. Blood dripped down his legs and even though her healing potion had made its way to him, she did not thing the gilman would survive another hit.

The deck lurched and Mary careened off the port side rail, forcing her into motion. Titling against gravity, powerful strides took her to Hurley where she steadied the both of them with her hands on his shoulder and side. The ocean wave rushed across the planks to soak their legs another time and Mary felt the energy in the water. She drew it up and into the gilman where it seeping into the man, creating new skin and staunching bleeding. "Feel like returnin' fer another go?" Eyes were on the would-be Capt'n as Mary squared up to him. "We be doin' this tagether. As one."

Last edited by Jarl11; Jul 23rd, 2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 08:20 AM
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Feeling BetterMary careen across the deck and Hurley braced for an impact but found the squat female held him up. A wave broke over the deck and Hurley was surprise to find it running up his legs and soaking his wounds. Water was part of Hurley, it was part of his essence the very source of his vitality, it was a spiritual experience of pure healing.

As Mary invites her to join her in an attack on Plugg, Hurley said, “No woman has ever touched me quite like that.” Reaching down to the deck he picked up the flask. Removing its stopper, Hurley drank the potion and said, “Here’s to you, Mary. Take the lead and I will follow.”

Old Jul 25th, 2017, 12:46 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Time for an upgrade!Pari gives a "Ha!" of triumph as she sees the blade slide out of Plugg's hand mid-swing, and her eyes follow the weapon as it sails through the air to land a distance away. She glances at Hurley to confirm that he would be fine on his own for a few more moments, a fact confirmed with his boasting and counter-strike, and breaks off to retrieve the weapon from its landing place. She might not be able to contribute to a melee at the moment - not without too much risk of hitting someone else by accident, anyway - but she could support those who could.

Pulling the blade out of its resting place, the remnants of magic-bearing water rejoining her host, the undine circles around towards Hurley and Mary. Reaching them, she holds out the blade to the gillman with a smirk on her face. "Time to give that bastard a piece of his own medicine, aye?"

Old Jul 25th, 2017, 03:51 PM
Man・Earth・Sky
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame 2015  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame DM 2018

Tools
User Statistics
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
~Round VIII~
They can sense it. The end, coming closer.

So can Plugg.
left-aligned image

Mary, Pari, and Hurley prepare to join the fray, healing and with Pari using her synergy with the sea and getting a weapon for Hurley. They are the second line of defense, and behind them, Maheem and Owlbear are joined by Crimson in tying Scourge up; distantly, they see the other loyalists tied up or bleeding, showing that Plugg is the last. And soon, Plugg will join them.

Brenden has a trick up his own sleeve. In his blood runs memory, runs time, and runs a lineage longer than any known on the ship. Brenden is something more than he appears to be. The line of Corteva-Munoz says something, though it's not clear he understands it. But from what he says, Plugg understands enough. "Chosen." His eyes are wide, his fear strong. It's enough to throw him off, and he moves his body; not his head. The blade catches his left eye, causing the Captain to scream as blood goes flying. As the blade digs through the bridge of his nose, but misses his right eye.

The Captain screams, his greased hand reaching for his eye, Attack: Nat... Nat 1 his other swinging with his cat'o'nine'tails, which in his fear, goes flying over Brenden's shoulder and right at Hurley, landing at his feet.

"I don' care who ye are.... if I'm goin', yer comin' with me, ye shite!"

Last edited by Sassafrass; Jul 28th, 2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old Jul 28th, 2017, 09:34 AM
Alea Jacta Est.
Hall of Fame DM 2016

Tools
User Statistics
TL;DR - it's a whiffShe stepped back from Hurley, too caught up to notice his remark being anything other than a thanks. Fists tightened as she squared up to the would-be Capt. "Yer not fit ta lead dead weight ta tha bottom o' tha ocean. Even tha water disagrees with yer methods."

Boots grip the planks, black strands of wet hair trail as Mary lunged forward. Quickly her momentum died as the ship tilted under another swell in the storm and the druid found herself struggling to run uphill. On a slick deck. Just as quick, the ship righted and she swung her fist in a careless hay-maker. Still several inches away, Plugg was in no danger of that attack landing. Still, now that she had joined Brenden, perhaps her threat could provide some measure of annoyance to allow the others to strike more effectively.

Old Aug 1st, 2017, 07:28 AM
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
WholeRapier hilt in hand, Hurley was whole once more. Giving Pari a wink he said, “That is the second nicest thing you have ever done for. me” Bringing the point of the blade to eye-level, Hurley flicked his wrist and the steel sliced through the air. Looking at the hapless Plugg, the swashbuckler said, “I would never kill an unarmed man. But Plugg, you are no man in my eyes and you still have two arms. So prepare to die.”

Whereas Mary shot across the deck across like a careening cannonball, Hurley performed a hybrid of jig and a skip, his rapier drawing him to his destiny. The steel point found its mark as Hurley lunged forward, the thin blasé sliding effortlessly through Plugg’s gut. Hurley said, “The pig has been stuck.” The swashbuckler withdrew the rapier and flourished it in the air.

Old Aug 14th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Captain F-in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
Bloody BusinessBrenden was laughing again, as the bodies of the others came crashing in around Plugg and his black blood ran slick across the deck. He presented the blade and made two quick swipes with it, Attack 20 for 3 damageopening even more flesh. If they kept at it like this, the man would be ribbons before dawn. He almost considers holding back, offering the man a chance to surrender, but sense gets the better of that thought. A living Plugg would always be a knife at their back. It simply wasn't worth that risk to keep his conscience clean.

"You're gonna take me with you?" His laugh became a snarl, lip twisted in disgust and hate. "You and what navy?" He held his place, unwilling to back away from the threat. He'd been close to death before, but never had something felt so worth dying over. "Yer passing over the veil today, Plugg. And when you do, I bet there will be plenty of pissed off souls there waiting to get a piece of vengeance."

Last edited by PopCultureBard; Aug 15th, 2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 12:43 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Out of the frying pan...As Hurley thanks her for the blade, Pari responds with a faux bow, "I've never met a man so easy to please, but I'm glad to be of service nevertheless." She follows with a wink of her own, "You can thank me by carving off a pound of flesh in my stead. Go get 'em." She watches him and Mary charge in against the all-but-former captain for a few seconds, but with the man all but literally disarmed, there wasn't much more she could safely contribute to the fight at the moment. She really needed to work on that.

Still, there was more to do elsewhere, and one more insult to deliver. Turning towards the ship's wheel and closing the distance at a brisk walk, Pari raises her voice above the remaining din of battle and storm, "Listen up all free hands! Make sure those lines are secure, then back to stations! We've got crewmates to rescue and a need to take on supplies, and I, for one, am of a mind to do both at once! We can sort out the details once we make landfall, but for now let's get this tugboat moving towards shore!" The thought that she was assuming the mantle of Captain was only vaguely in her mind - though she was aware of how much her action would likely wound Plugg's pride one last time - nor had she planned on doing so. But, someone needed to get things moving and the other conspirator leads were currently preoccupied... or the one they needed to move for.
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 11:23 AM
Man・Earth・Sky
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame 2015  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame DM 2018

Tools
User Statistics
~Round IX~
Everyone obeys orders well and good enough as Pari gives them. Checking their lines, their jobs, they determine what to do, who should do what, and when they should do it. They work quickly, all but Crimson and Jake, who keep the loyalists of Plugg armless and begin tying them to the main mast. The surf picks up, throwing the ship for a curve that no one expected, not with the way the storm has died down.

The crash of the wave throws Mary for a loop, interrupting her charge, but just enough to give Brenden and Hurley leverage and distraction. Hurley stabs him, insulting his humanity, even, and draws blood from the captain's guts. He grunts, spitting out blood as he turns to face the Gillman, opening his mouth to speak. Brenden's own slash draws a major gash above Plugg's eye, causing him to scream out as blood soaks his face. How much blood does the man have?

"I HAVE NOT COME THIS FAR TO BE PUT DOWN BY TH' LIKES O' YE!"

Insulted, he turns, freeing himself unwisely from Hurley's wound and slams his fist directly into Mary's face, catching her chin but doing little Attack: 22
Damage: 1
but surprising her.

He is running out of steam, and is not long for this world.