OOC Inn of the Prancing Pony - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > East of the Misty Mountains
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Apr 18th, 2020, 06:06 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8458
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Inn of the Prancing Pony

Welcome! Character creation information can be found in the character thread. There are a number of rules unique to AiME. For now, you need only concern yourselves with those surrounding creating your character. I will explain the others as they come up in game.
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 06:16 PM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7373
Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen
I will get my stuff up tonight and begin working. Thanks for accepting me and I can't wait to go on this grand adventure with everyone!
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 06:41 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 812
Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix
Proud to be counted among such fine company. I'll get to work on my character sheet and make sure everything is in order.
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 06:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7917
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Thank you for having me, Silent Rain. I am very excited about this!
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 08:06 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1602
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
Really excited to be here!

I have been a massive Lord of the Rings fanboy for almost 40 years. Played (and ran) the massively flawed Middle-earth Roleplaying (MERP) for many, many years. I only recently realised Adventures in Middle-earth even existed. And I have to say, it looks really good compared to MERP.

However, I want to assure that I will not be that pain in the backside nerd who keeps correcting everyone because they haven't got the 'canon' right. I know games have to carve their own way, and I'm pretty excited to do so alongside you all!

Last edited by Telcontar; Apr 18th, 2020 at 08:08 PM.
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 08:55 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
Hi Silent. Where would you like us to roll for starting wealth?
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 09:04 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 812
Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix
@Silent Rain It’s been a long time since I’ve touch 5e, if one of the proficiencies from the background I want is something I already get from my culture or class, do I just pick a different proficiency or does it get expertise or what? If you don’t know off the top of your head, I’ll just look it up after I’ve had some sleep.
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 09:29 PM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen
Two questions
  1. Beornings get +1 str, and then two other +1 to abilities. Can I choose strength again or does each have to be different?
  2. What is the max a stat can be for lvl 1?
  3. If I am given equipment I don't plan on using, can I trade in for he equivalent silver penny value and buy other things at the start?

Last edited by Totentanzen; Apr 18th, 2020 at 10:46 PM.
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 11:00 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Glad to see questions already.

Starting Equipment & Wealth
In regard to starting wealth, watch for the sections in the culture and background. If you need to roll for starting wealth, I added the dice thread. Also, take note of your character's prosperity (determined by the culture they come from), as this might affect what equipment, etc. you gain from your class.

Proficiencies
If you gain a proficiency twice (i.e. Background and culture), you main choose a different proficiency.

Ability Scores
If your culture grants one ability score bonus and then additional bonuses to "other" abilities, they cannot be the same as the first named ability. 15 (unmodified) is the highest starting ability score

Last edited by Silent Rain; Apr 18th, 2020 at 11:12 PM.
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 11:00 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Some more questions:
1. I've chosen Northern Dalelands, Long Marshes, Upper Marches, Woodland Realm and Northern Mirkwood as my 'Known Lands', keeping one in reserve to choose at a later date. Are these choices okay with you? Or should I narrow my list and keep more in reserve?
2. Is it okay, given the history I've already detailed for Solveig, to take the "King's Men" Barding cultural virtue? Otherwise, I'll consider taking the Sturdy open virtue.
3. Are we permitted to take Suggested Characteristics from a different Background if it makes more sense for the character as we've already described them?
4. What season is it? (For picking appropriate travel clothing.)

Last edited by Telcontar; Apr 18th, 2020 at 11:17 PM.
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 11:13 PM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
I added this after the initial so I don't know if you saw it

If I am given equipment I don't plan on using, can I trade in for he equivalent silver penny value and buy other things at the start? Such as I get mail but I plan on going unarmored route. Can I trade that for the silver and buy something else?
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 11:19 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Concerning backgrounds and inspiration:

In each background, you will see a listing under hope and despair. These are similar to the traits, flaws, ideals, etc. from standard 5e. In AiME, they have a much more significant impact on your character and how you play them. Each character will need to select a hope trait and a despair trait.

If a character takes an action that specifically aligns with either of these traits, they gain inspiration. This is important to keep in mind, not only because inspiration is always useful, but because some virtues require inspiration to be used.
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 11:36 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
@telcontar
#1: Those are fine. I will ask however, that you select all of your known lands now. These represent places where your character has wandered up to this point and should already be known. If you need help selecting additional ones, let me know.

#2: King's Men is fine. Solveig may not have spent a substantial amount of time in Dale, especially of late, but this training could have been gained while she was there.

#3: Yes, you can grab suggested characteristics from other backgrounds (and/or hope and despair traits as well), if they are a better fit for your character.

#4: This adventure begins int the spring.

@Totentanzen

Yes, you can sell unwanted starting equipment back for its full cost, to then purchase alternate equipment.
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 11:49 PM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
I gotta say this is a lot, but I love all of it. Have my character mostly done but I want to make sure I go through all the rules again and that it all makes sense. I am pumped for this and thank you Silent for Dm'ing this!
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 12:13 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Rain View Post
#1: Those are fine. I will ask however, that you select all of your known lands now. These represent places where your character has wandered up to this point and should already be known. If you need help selecting additional ones, let me know.
I think East Middle Vales is probably the most logical pick for a sixth "Known Land", but your advice on this would be appreciated.

Last edited by Telcontar; Apr 19th, 2020 at 04:36 AM.