OOC Inn of the Prancing Pony - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > East of the Misty Mountains
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Apr 19th, 2020, 01:12 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1602
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
Hi Silent. I'm struggling a little with the variant rules on encumbrance. Taking the standard gear for my culture and class would automatically result in me being encumbered unless I had a Strength of 18 or 19. With an average Strength of 10, in fact I'm perilously close to being heavily encumbered. I tried downgrading my armour and ditching some of the less essential gear, but even that couldn't get me anywhere near the encumbrance limit.

Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by Telcontar; Apr 19th, 2020 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Actually got some figures wrong. It's even worse than I initially thought.
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 02:08 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8458
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
@telcontar East Middle Vales makes sense. I doubt the elves of Mirkwood would appreciate a human carousing across their land often enough to know it inside and out.

I am going to strike the variant encumbrance rule for this game. That is my boiler plate, but AiME already does a good job of reflecting the weight of carrying around all that stuff on your backs.
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 02:40 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Rain View Post
@telcontar East Middle Vales makes sense. I doubt the elves of Mirkwood would appreciate a human carousing across their land often enough to know it inside and out.

I am going to strike the variant encumbrance rule for this game. That is my boiler plate, but AiME already does a good job of reflecting the weight of carrying around all that stuff on your backs.
I promise not to abuse that by carrying around ridiculous amounts of gear.
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 03:21 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7917
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
@Silent: Silent, you state that scholars „...have a pool of healing tricks and techniques that replenishes when you take a long rest. You have Healing Dice (1d6) equal to 1 plus your Proficiency Bonus.“ There seems to be some contradiction with the „official“ Player‘s Handbook. Is this an oversight or a rule variation? Also, is the healing die supposed to be a 1d6 or a 1d8? Thanks.
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 03:48 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Hi Touketsu. Given that there's two Wanderers in the group, I think we should coordinate to make sure we don't overlap too much.

So, given that Bardings get Intuition for free, I was planning to make Solveig high Wisdom and take Animal Handling, Perception and Survival. It all kinda meshes together.

I was also planning on taking the Lure of the Road background. It's not mechanically the most brilliant thing ever, but it fits Solveig personality perfectly.

I genuinely haven't given any thought to whether I'll go Hunter of Beasts or Hunter of Shadows, but we should probably give it some thought now. Which one are you thinking you'll take?

Last edited by Telcontar; Apr 19th, 2020 at 03:48 AM.
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 05:00 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Okay, Background and Other Possessions still need fine-tuning, but I'm happy with Ability Scores, Weapons, Armour, Skills, Virtue(s) and Known Lands. I'm just getting a bit tired now.

I'll tidy up the character sheet and do a Stat Block tomorrow.

Last edited by Telcontar; Apr 19th, 2020 at 05:02 AM.
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 05:23 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 812
Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix
Is the starting coin that you roll for also able to be used to purchase starting gear, or is that supposed to be left alone?

Also, I presume multiclassing isn't going to be a thing on here? At least, I haven't seen anything about it in the player guide.

Last edited by Helvorix; Apr 19th, 2020 at 05:40 AM.
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 08:05 AM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7373
Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen
Trying to sort my gear out, what season are we starting in?
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 08:14 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Spring.
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 09:56 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
@Elanir Good eyes. My "Player's Handbook" is an amalgamation of the core AiME rules and some of the variant rules that were published along the way after some class adjustments were made.

As you identified, the original rule stated: ...You have a pool of healing tricks and techniques that
replenishes when you take a short rest. You have one Healing Die (1d8) per level in the Scholar class.

The variant rule states: You have a pool of healing tricks and techniques that replenishes when you take a long rest. You have Healing Dice (1d6) equal to 1 plus your Proficiency Bonus.

The original rule would have provided you with 1 1d8 healing die at level 1 per short rest. The variant provides 1 + prof mod 1d6 healing mod per long rest. Playtests responded with a much better reaction to these variant rules than the original. But, if you feel strongly about the original, I will revert back.

@Helvorix Feel free to spend starting coin however you like. Yes, multiclassing is allowed. I will add a chart to the top of the class section in the handbook that shows the min req modifers.
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 10:02 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Question: Now that everyone has had a chance (presumably) to look over their intended class in more detail, is anyone wanting to change their class (or any other aspect of the character)?
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 10:06 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7917
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
No, Silent Rain, I like the variant. For lower classes the ability is more powerful than according to the official rules, though it rather loses potency as a character advances, which means that it might need some tweaking after a few levels. That said, I’ll leave the mechanics of the game up to you, for I have absolutely no experience with AiME. I just wasn’t sure if the change was intentional or not. Thank you for the quick response.

Nolmendil‘s character sheet and stats box are ready, please tell me if I need to change anything.
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 10:25 AM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7373
Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen
I might need to change my story a bit to fit the background but otherwise no this is exactly what I had imagined for grimfara. And the fact that I can go into this wearing no armor and wreck is perfect. Although I will be no use on journeys other than story telling and honey cakes lol
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 10:35 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 812
Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix
Oh, there is multiclassing, cool!

I decided I liked the Oathsworn background and changed two paragraphs of my history and switched them around so they would be in chronological order. You will have to let me know if I need to change the oath or make it more specific or something.

Last edited by Helvorix; Apr 19th, 2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 10:43 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Since it was brought up, it is worth thinking about now. What roles will your characters take on journeys, which, to summarize briefly, is the party traveling from point A to B in between adventures. This might take a day, a week, a month...

The roles filled during a journey are (more detailed information is in the handbook):
  • Guide (Can only be one) - In charge of all decisions concerning route, rest, and supplies. Guides rely on Wisdom and Survival proficiency.
  • Scout - In charge of setting up camp, opening new trails. Scouts rely on Stealth and Investigation.
  • Hunter - In charge of finding food in the wild. Hunters rely on success with Survival checks.
  • Look-out - In charge of keeping watch. Look-outs rely on their abilities in Perception.

A journey will not dive into the minutia of each of these activities, but the success of your roles will impact your journey in various ways. Will you avoid the storm, get captured by orcs or trolls, find forgotten ruins along the way, etc.

I don't need to know who will be filling which roles immediately, but everyone will need to decide shortly into starting the campaign.