OOC Inn of the Prancing Pony - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > East of the Misty Mountains
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Apr 19th, 2020, 12:00 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7917
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Nolmendil will probably be the look-out since he has a decent perception bonus, night vision and doesn‘t really sleep.

What do you think?
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 12:01 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1602
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
My recommendation would be:
Guide: Solveig
Scout: Vormund + 1 other (help action gives advantage)
Hunter: Solveig (a Wanderer can be Guide and fill any unfilled roles, but cannot receive the help action)
Look-out: Nolmendil + 1 other (help action gives advantage)

This would leave 1 character without an official role during journeys, but I don't think there's any better way to do this. Solveig will be getting double-proficiency on Survival checks for most of the journey across Mirkwood (due to the Known Lands class ability).

And we'd just swap Solveig and Vormund around when we come to regions that Vormund is more familiar with.
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 12:18 PM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7373
Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen
Does my fury apply to a second hand attack? Like if I fury with daggers, do I get +2 damage to the second? Of course I still lose my attack modifier. Otherwise I believe Grimfara is complete and I have linked it to my profile, I just need to work on my Stat block.
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 01:31 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
Okay, I think my character sheet and stat block are good to go. I'll give them a quick edit tomorrow, though, when I'm not so tired.
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 02:07 PM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7373
Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen
Character sheet and statblock now done and ready for review! I am equipped to the teeth yall. Now....I just need you guys to find me the target
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 02:50 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7917
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totentanzen View Post
Now....I just need you guys to find me the target
I have the impression that it isn’t going to be too difficult.
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 03:40 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8458
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
@Totentanzen Yes, so long as the attack is Str based, you would gain the bonus damage on all attacks made.
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 06:22 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4373
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcontar View Post
Hi Touketsu. Given that there's two Wanderers in the group, I think we should coordinate to make sure we don't overlap too much.

So, given that Bardings get Intuition for free, I was planning to make Solveig high Wisdom and take Animal Handling, Perception and Survival. It all kinda meshes together.

I was also planning on taking the Lure of the Road background. It's not mechanically the most brilliant thing ever, but it fits Solveig personality perfectly.

I genuinely haven't given any thought to whether I'll go Hunter of Beasts or Hunter of Shadows, but we should probably give it some thought now. Which one are you thinking you'll take?
Heya!

Admittedly, I was also planning on taking the “Lure of the Road” background because Vormund is drawn to the thrill of adventure and seeking out other cultures, particularly elves, whom he’s had very little experience with. That said, I could potentially see taking “Emissary of Your People” background if we slightly reflavored it so that Vormund is representing the scattered rangers of the North as someone trying to bring good will into the world. That would be up to Silent Rain though.

Also planning to put a lot into wisdom just because Vormund is a ranger, but I might try and make him somewhat charismatic to account for his mission of outreach. I expect that we’re going to overlap mechanically in a few ways no matter what (Dunedain get survival proficiency, etc), but I see Vormund being more “defender of the people” than “woodland wanderer” if that makes sense. To that end, I think maybe it would make more sense for him to take Shadows and for her to take Beasts? What do you think?

Also, which fighting style were you planning on taking? I assume we’re both going with Archery?
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 06:23 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Also, sorry for the delay; busy weekend. I’m on duty tomorrow, but I’ll have Vormund up in the next day or two.
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 08:08 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8458
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
@Touketsu I think emissary is a fine background.
The Dunedain could be opening new trade routes or forging new alliances to open up sources of information, and they would need people dedicated to that end.
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 09:11 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touketsu View Post
Also planning to put a lot into wisdom just because Vormund is a ranger, but I might try and make him somewhat charismatic to account for his mission of outreach.
If you take Charisma, what would your dump stat(s) be?

Quote:
I think maybe it would make more sense for him to take Shadows and for her to take Beasts? What do you think?
I'm pretty happy with that split.

Quote:
Also, which fighting style were you planning on taking? I assume we’re both going with Archery?
That's not a given, at this stage. I may actually focus more on a melee style, using finesse weapons. A lot depends on how Helvorix builds his Warden. If he ends up being an archer, I'll probably go melee. That'll give us three melee and three ranged.

Last edited by Telcontar; Apr 19th, 2020 at 10:24 PM.
Old Apr 20th, 2020, 01:20 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
If you take Charisma, what would your dump stat(s) be?
intelligence most likely. Normally a ranger might be pretty knowledgeable about history, lore, and culture, but given Vormund’s limited world experience, it’s safe to say he has a lot to learn in those areas.

Quote:
I may actually focus more on a melee style, using finesse weapons. A lot depends on how Helvorix builds his Warden. If he ends up being an archer, I'll probably go melee. That'll give us three melee and three ranged.
Sounds perfect.
Old Apr 20th, 2020, 02:22 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 812
Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix
I'm mostly going to be doing finesse melee but I'll bring a bow along for those hard to reach places.
Old Apr 20th, 2020, 02:28 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
Meh; melee heavy is never a terrible idea. Us ranged folk bring the pain well enough, but only if we have you front-liners keeping the nasties as bay :P
Old Apr 20th, 2020, 03:57 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 812
Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix
Hmm. In early levels, I guess it isn't going to matter too much for me which I use (melee or ranged), so I'll use whatever fits best for the situation and party. I can only use short bows right now though.

I think I'm done with my character sheet, let me know if anything is amiss.

Last edited by Helvorix; Apr 20th, 2020 at 09:05 AM.