OOC Inn of the Prancing Pony - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > East of the Misty Mountains
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Apr 21st, 2020, 12:41 PM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7373
Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen
Avner whats your AC going to look like? Im rolling with 16 but I can bump to 18 and use a shield if I need to. Of course that caps my damage.
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 12:49 PM
Peace was never an option

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29422
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner
Well currently with the +1 from Defense martial style I'm going to end up with a 14. I am dumping dex for the tankier build which gives me a -1 due to the Corslet of Mail I get being medium armor and having a 12+ Dex to AC and then my shield for +2. Of course if I swapped stats around and dumped something else I could always bump it up.

Last edited by Avner; Apr 21st, 2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 12:50 PM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen
Gotcha, Ill look at your stats when your done. I guess Ill probably be the tank anyway considering I get resistance to bludg, piercing, and slashing when I furry and I will switch up my gear as we see fit!
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 12:52 PM

Tools
User Statistics
I was trying to build my guy tankier to compliment your Slayer style but I might need to just go 2H weapon and go for the big hitter type. I suppose it can't kill us if its dead.

Last edited by Avner; Apr 21st, 2020 at 12:52 PM.
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 01:17 PM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avner View Post
I was trying to build my guy tankier to compliment your Slayer style but I might need to just go 2H weapon and go for the big hitter type. I suppose it can't kill us if its dead.
That's the spirit! Feel free, I can handle the blows should they come good sir dwarf!
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 01:23 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8458
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Does everyone understand the basics behind corruption, shadow points, and hope/despair traits, or would you like any of those explained?
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 01:33 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1602
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avner View Post
@silent Rain I think I want to change from Grey Dwarf to Iron Hills Dwarf. It looks like I'm going to need to buy some armor as soon as possible. Its odd that a Warrior wouldn't start with heavy armor but I guess it gives room for growth.
It depends on the culture you come from. If you come from a Rich or Prosperous culture (e.g. Dwarf of the Blue Mountains, or a Dwarf of the Lonely Mountain), then you absolutely would start with heavy armour. In fact, if you were from the Lonely Mountain, you could start with Heavy Mail and a Great Shield. Combine that with the Defence fighting style, and you could have AC 21 at Level 1!

Having said that, I'm sure we could pool our resources at some stage and upgrade your armour and shield.

Last edited by Telcontar; Apr 21st, 2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 01:48 PM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcontar View Post
It depends on the culture you come from. If you come from a Rich or Prosperous culture (e.g. Dwarf of the Blue Mountains, or a Dwarf of the Lonely Mountain), then you absolutely would start with heavy armour. In fact, if you were from the Lonely Mountain, you could start with Heavy Mail and a Great Shield. Combine that with the Defence fighting style, and you could have AC 21 at Level 1!

Having said that, I'm sure we could pool our resources at some stage and upgrade your armour and shield.
Yeah I have like 48s just chilling...of course youll have to give me reason to help you in the game
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 01:51 PM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Rain View Post
Does everyone understand the basics behind corruption, shadow points, and hope/despair traits, or would you like any of those explained?
Makes sense to me! I am more of a hands on learning person though. It all makes sense, just going to take time to see how prevalent they are and plan around it.
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 01:53 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Rain View Post
So to gain the additional inspiration we would need to act in such a way that plays into our Hope or Despair traits correct?

Is there a way to lose shadowpoints once you earn them or is it a matter of once you reach that level of corruption you are just that much closer to madness?
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 02:01 PM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
Actually yeah I redact my statement. I am still struggling with picking a despair that fits my character in a way I can play into it. Can we pick from other backgrounds as well?
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 02:19 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8458
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
@Avner correct. You basically grant yourself inspiration by playing to your hope and despair traits.

Shadow points are normally temporary and accumulated in various ways. Once you reach a certain amount, you could go mad for a short period of time (think Boromir trying to take the ring from Frodo). After that, you get a permenant point and the count is reset.

When we get to the 1st event that might grant some, we can review in more detail.

@Totentanzen Absolutely. Feel free to pick from any background to find one that fits your character the best.
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 02:33 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
The other thing I'd like to mention is that, from what I've read online, if we (as players) approach AiME like it's just a slightly reskinned version of DnD, then we're in for a world of hurt. In general, the advice I've read is to treat it like you were part of the Fellowship of the Ring. How did they approach their adventure? They avoided (or fled from) combat as much as possible, and spent as much time recuperating in sanctuaries as possible. In other words, don't be quite so gung-ho and heroic.

Last edited by Telcontar; Apr 21st, 2020 at 02:35 PM.
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 02:38 PM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcontar View Post
The other thing I'd like to mention is that, from what I've read online, if we (as players) approach AiME like it's just a slightly reskinned version of DnD, then we're in for a world of hurt. In general, the advice I've read is to treat it like you were part of the Fellowship of the Ring. How did they approach their adventure? They avoided (or fled from) combat as much as possible, and spent as much time recuperating in sanctuaries as possible. In other words, don't be quite so gung-ho and heroic.
Makes sense, I feel like I could take on a squad or two of smaller creatures, maybe 1 bigger, but after that I am done haha.
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 02:42 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totentanzen View Post
Makes sense, I feel like I could take on a squad or two of smaller creatures, maybe 1 bigger, but after that I am done haha.
It can be a long way between sanctuaries, y'see. And, as I understand it, you can only take 5E long rests in sanctuaries. So you've got your normal allotment of short rests and the healing from your Scholar to tide you over until you get to the next sanctuary...

Last edited by Telcontar; Apr 21st, 2020 at 02:50 PM.