Game Thread Chapter 1: Don't Leave the Path - Page 6 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > East of the Misty Mountains
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #76  
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 05:08 PM
Avner's Avatar
Avner Avner is offline
Peace was never an option
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 27th, 2020
RPXP: 29422
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner
Posts: 24,172
Vidar
right-aligned image

Vidar let out a big audible gasp of eccentric huffing and puffing. "Well ye don't have to raise a stink about it. You throw more shade than a weeping willow on her naming day." he called out. "We need to stopping talkin' about doing something and do something!" he said approaching the wall.

"Alright, we do this together. That way the spiders will have a full belly when it comes to eat me." he said with a dry sense of humor. "We help each other climb to the top and kill whatever comes after us when we spring this trap."


Actions
 


Vidar son of Frór
 

Last edited by Avner; Jul 8th, 2020 at 05:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 11:42 AM
Silent Rain's Avatar
Silent Rain Silent Rain is online now
Neighborhood Mind Flayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 27th, 2020
RPXP: 8458
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Posts: 4,032
Journey through MirkwoodDestination: The Forest Gate
Approximate Travel Length: 160 miles (9 days travel)
Peril Rating: 3
  • Guide: Solveig
  • Scout: Vormund + Braegar (help action gives advantage)
  • Hunter: Solveig
  • Look-out: Nolmendil + Grimfara or Vidar (help action gives advantage)
Traveled Thus Far: 2 Days - 36 Miles

The CastleWith Vormund and Nolmendil keeping watch from the top of the crumbling tower nearby, the remainder of the companions positioned themselves at the base of a wall that was once likely the castle's keep. Looking upward, past the thirty feet of crumbling web-covered stone wall, they can see the web-wrapped form of what they believe to be Baldor, judging by the occasional movement from something inside.

With Gramfara watching from below, Vidar began the climb upward, his strong dwarven hands finding purchase in the stone wall where others might not. After a few moments, he reached the top and successfully pulled himself over the edge.

With Grimfara helping from below and Vidar from above, Braegar attempted the climb as well. Without the aid of climbing tools, he likely would not have met with success, had it not been for the aid of his fellows.

Man and dwarf now stood atop the wall, looking down the thirty foot descent below them and the web-wrapped sac suspended before them. Turning, they can just make out the think black leg of the arachnids that called this ruin their home. Although the creatures still slumbered, it seemed likely that the slightest noise would cause them to wake.



GM Notes
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 12:53 PM
Avner's Avatar
Avner Avner is offline
Peace was never an option
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 27th, 2020
RPXP: 29422
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner
Posts: 24,172
Vidar
right-aligned image

Vidar pointed at the leg and then put a finger to his lips to signal not to speak. He then points to himself before pointing to the sac that their charge was in before putting out his palm flatly and mimicing a running maneuver and pointing to the web bridge that would bring them to the tower. The dwarf had a plan, it wasn't a good plan and most likely would end up with them fighting a bunch of arachnids,. but if all went well they might actually get out of this with the spiders not knowing any better.

Actions
 


Vidar son of Frór
 
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 09:47 AM
Helvorix's Avatar
Helvorix Helvorix is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 25th, 2020
RPXP: 812
Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix
Posts: 361
Vidar needn't have warned Braegar against making noise, as he pointed out the spiders. Braegar could just make out the beasts hairy legs stretched out and unnervingly still; at least as long as a dwarf is tall, if not a man. He kept his breathing slow and deliberate, though he could hear his blood pounding in his ears.

Braegar watched Vidar's hand gestures, it was simple enough to see what the dwarf had in mind. His brow furrowed. The spiders were completely the masters of their webs. Crossing it themselves, the two would be giving the creatures a considerable advantage in pursuing or capturing them, to say nothing of carrying the burden of a man's weight across the treacherous silken cords. There wasn't much time to puzzle out a good solution, but Breagar still had Vormunds rope wrapped around his left shoulder. He gripped it with his right hand pointed to the cocooned Baldor with his left. He then made a motion with his hands as if he were tying knots, followed by another motion like he was lowering rope over the wall and shrugged his shoulders. He waited to see what the dwarf thought of the idea, hoping his message conveyed well enough. At the very least, they might be able to get Baldor on the ground with the rest of their companions before Braegar and Vidar would need to flee or fight for their lives.


Stats and Actions
 

 

Last edited by Helvorix; Jul 14th, 2020 at 09:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 10:46 AM
Avner's Avatar
Avner Avner is offline
Peace was never an option
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 27th, 2020
RPXP: 29422
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner
Posts: 24,172
Vidar
right-aligned image

Vidar gave a nod understanding the plan. He wasn't sure how long it would take to lower Baldur but they could hopefully get him down without causing too much noise. Vidar knew in his heart that he was destined to fight the shadow and that the pending doom for himself was currently looming over him. It was best that he faced the darkness and not his allies, if the spiders came he could hold them off while Braegar made his escape.

Quietly moving toward Baldor he reached up and grabbed the husk and ripped him down carrying him back to Braegar. As they quickly tied the rope around the Baldor and began lowering him down the wall towards Grimfara. The dwarf kept a weary eye out for any spiders stirring, so he could hand of the rope to Braegar as needed.


Actions
 


Vidar son of Frór
 
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 05:19 PM
Elanir's Avatar
Elanir Elanir is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 22nd, 2020
RPXP: 7917
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Posts: 1,906
Nolmendil
right-aligned image
Nolmendil tried to ignore his racing heart and instead concentrate on Vidar and Braegar. He couldn’t see them well from where he was standing, but he also couldn’t hear anything besides the usual sounds of the forest, which meant that the spiders hadn’t detected them yet. Taking a few steps backwards he tried once again to see what his companions were doing. Vidar was moving, but what exactly was he doing? He had Baldor and was using a rope to lower him down! The elf’s heart jumped inside his chest and the Noldo had to suppress a yelp of surprise. The dwarf had done it! Returning back to Grimfara, Nolmendil whispered in his ear. "Grimfara, our companions have reached Baldor and Vidar is lowering him towards us. Be prepared to grab him and I in turn shall cut the webs." Shouldering his bow, Nolmendil draw his dagger from its sheath. It was a well-crafted elvish weapon, the blade long, sharp and durable, decorated with a script so fine that could only with difficulty be seen. May I never be drawn, but if you need me, I shall not let you down, read the text when translated in the common speech. The elf didn’t even glance at it. His gaze was directed at the mass of web silently dangling at the end of the rope.

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 01:54 PM
Silent Rain's Avatar
Silent Rain Silent Rain is online now
Neighborhood Mind Flayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 27th, 2020
RPXP: 8458
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Posts: 4,032
Journey through MirkwoodDestination: The Forest Gate
Approximate Travel Length: 160 miles (9 days travel)
Peril Rating: 3
  • Guide: Solveig
  • Scout: Vormund + Braegar (help action gives advantage)
  • Hunter: Solveig
  • Look-out: Nolmendil + Grimfara or Vidar (help action gives advantage)
Traveled Thus Far: 2 Days - 36 Miles

The CastleWith Vidar heeding Braegar's plan, the dwarf reached over the edge and grabbed a hold of the web-wrapped bundle. With a strong pull, the bundle broke free from the web it was suspended from and Vidar laid it on the ground. Those watching the spiders still see no movement, their actions apparently having gone unnoticed thus far.

With rope in hand, Vidar tied it securely around the squirming webbed bundle and lowered it slowly down the thirty feet to the ground below where Grimfara was waiting to receive it. With more than one person's brow sweating with the anxiety of awakening the spiders, the company has, at least so far, managed to avoid that from happening.




GM Notes
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 03:52 PM
Elanir's Avatar
Elanir Elanir is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 22nd, 2020
RPXP: 7917
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Posts: 1,906
Nolmendil
right-aligned image
The few minutes that passed until Baldor was finally lowered to the ground seemed to last as long as the longest night of the year, when winter was at its fiercest and the light of the stars could barely be seen. Grimfara firmly grabbed the bundle of web, steadied it and gently placed it upon the ground next to the wall. Nolmendil cut the rope and pointed at the tower, silently asking Grimfara to move the merchant closer to it. That would allow Braegar and Vidar to climb down without fearing that a misstep would hurt their trapped employer. Climbing down the wall could prove every bit as dangerous as scaling it though Vormund’s rope would prove a great help in this endeavor. The elf waved at the human and the dwarf to catch their attention and pantomimed someone climbing down the rope to the base of the wall.

With a nod towards his brave companions and a silent blessing that would hopefully keep them safe, Nolmendil turned around and swiftly but silently approached his merchant friend. The Noldo used his dagger with great caution and skill, parting the spiders‘ webs without hurting Baldor. First he freed his mouth and throat, allowing him to breathe more easily, then his arms and legs to let the blood flow properly, finally his chest and abdomen. The merchant seemed pale and barely responsive, but the elf knew that they had reached him in time. Had they lost their way or hesitated further before coming to his rescue however… Placing his dagger back to its sheath, Nolmendil took out his waterskin and poured some water upon Baldor’s forehead and face. With gentle hands the healer freed the merchant’s eyes from any remaining webs and carefully gave him some water to drink. "Friend, are you all right?", asked Nolmendil, his voice full of warmth and caring. "Do you know who I am? Can you move your limbs? We have to go soon, but first let me take a better look at you." With the practiced ease of someone who had spent centuries studying books of medicine and often applied this knowledge to aid those who needed it, Nolmendil felt Baldor’s pulse, took a note of the color of his skin and the dilation of his pupils and then quickly searched his body for injuries and signs of poisoning. He was certain he could counter any evil the spiders had inflicted upon his friend, but first he had to correctly diagnose it. Unfortunately he didn’t have the time to be as thorough as he would have liked, but he hoped his experience in such matters would make up for it.

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 04:39 PM
Avner's Avatar
Avner Avner is offline
Peace was never an option
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 27th, 2020
RPXP: 29422
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner
Posts: 24,172
Vidar
right-aligned image

Vidar read the signal from the elf below and saw that their charge was safe. Giving a nod he turned his attention to Braegar and pointed at him before gesturing down toward the rope. Vidar knew that he had the best chances of making it down the wall himself but probably the greatest chances of stirring the spiders with his heavy build. It was best for the smaller of the two to go first so that Vidar could make a quick ascent should anything no go to plan. So far they had made out well, but he knew that the shadow was lurking at his back and it was only a moment of time before it came for him.

Taking another stern look at his ally he gestured for him to move along quickly.

Actions
 


Vidar son of Frór
 
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old Jul 27th, 2020, 04:50 PM
Helvorix's Avatar
Helvorix Helvorix is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 25th, 2020
RPXP: 812
Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix
Posts: 361
Once Baldor was safely on solid ground, it was Braegar's turn next. Vidar ushered him to get a move on, he took the rope in his hands and swung his legs over the edge of the wall. He made his descent quickly, perhaps a little over-eager. His left wrist got caught by some strands of silk as he brushed by, and as he tugged it free, he lost his grip on the rope with his other hand. Braegar tried his best to stifle a cry of surprise as he fell. The landing would have been a bad one but for the same webs that caused the mischief in the first place; they caught hold of him and held fast just before he hit the ground.

Seeing that he was alright, Braegar looked around at his predicament. He was thoroughly captured by the webs, he tried to pull himself free, but couldn't. He looked to the dagger on his belt; perhaps he could reach it, he just needed to get one hand free. He took in several deep breaths, forcing himself to relax. Then he started twisting his arm and shoulder, trying to wriggle out of his sleave. It took a bit of work and he tore the seams of his shirt a bit, but his efforts paid off. He freed one arm enough to reach his blade. He cut away the webbing clinging to his clothes and dropped safely the rest of the way to the ground.


Stats and Actions
 

 

Last edited by Helvorix; Jul 27th, 2020 at 05:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old Jul 27th, 2020, 11:32 PM
Silent Rain's Avatar
Silent Rain Silent Rain is online now
Neighborhood Mind Flayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 27th, 2020
RPXP: 8458
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Posts: 4,032
Journey through MirkwoodDestination: The Forest Gate
Approximate Travel Length: 160 miles (9 days travel)
Peril Rating: 3
  • Guide: Solveig
  • Scout: Vormund + Braegar (help action gives advantage)
  • Hunter: Solveig
  • Look-out: Nolmendil + Grimfara or Vidar (help action gives advantage)
Traveled Thus Far: 2 Days - 36 Miles

The CastleNolmendil raced over to the aid of Baldor as soon Grimfara lowered him to the ground. With a few quick slashes of his knife, the elf free his emplyer, releasing him from his bondage.

Baldor reached his hands outward with wide panicked eyes. His gaze fell upon the Noldo, but there was no recognition there. Nolmendil did his best to ascertain the man's condition and although it was not the simplest of tasks, what with him thrashing about, he determined that the man suffered no serious injuries and should be fit to travel.

Baldor seemed to focus in on Nolmendil's questions. "Beasts! Giant beasts with their long black spindly legs. Even wrapped in this...thing," he said, motioning toward what was left of his webbed prison, "I could still hear the horrible sound of them moving about. Who are you! Leave me be! Let me be away from this Horrid place."

Vidar motioned for Braegar to head down the face of the wall. Over the edge and down the wall with the rope to aid him, it seemed a simple enough task, until he attempted to free himself from some webbing his sleeve stuck too. His gripped slipped and he began to fall until a large mass of webs caught him fast midair.

Braegar managed to free himself by cutting away the webs, dropping the rest of the way to the ground. A moment later the webs along the wall seemed to vibrate on their own accord. Anyone looking at the webbed bridge above them would also see the same vibrations causing a tremor through all the strands of webbing.




GM NotesNo enemy is preset, but we are now moving under combat rules. Everyone may take their actions. The Roll20 link is above to move your tokens.

Last edited by Silent Rain; Aug 2nd, 2020 at 11:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 12:40 AM
Touketsu's Avatar
Touketsu Touketsu is offline
Mysterious Ice Ninja
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 26th, 2020
RPXP: 4373
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Posts: 2,930
Vormund
right-aligned image
Vormund was relieved to see Baldor's rescue completed successfully. There was a moment of stayed breath as Braegar lost his grip and fell... but the webs proved to be both curse and blessing as they caught the young man before he hit the ground. A few moments of struggling, and Braegar was able to free himself. Finally, it seemed they could be rid of this foul place.

... and then the webs began to vibrate.

It was minor, almost imperceptible at first. Had there not been a bridge of webbing right by him, the ranger might not have noticed.

"Oh no..." Vormund looked for a way to quietly signal the others, but from the looks on some faces, it appeared they had already noticed. There was only one thing to do now; cover their escape.

Eyes narrowed, Vormund focused on the top of the wall, drew back an arrow... and waited.
Actions & RollsRolls Here

Initiative: 11
Action: Prepared Action: Vormund fires an arrow at the first giant spider that shows itself.

AttackAttack Roll: 20
Damage: 11 Piercing
Stat Block
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath!

Last edited by Touketsu; Jul 28th, 2020 at 12:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 03:19 AM
Elanir's Avatar
Elanir Elanir is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 22nd, 2020
RPXP: 7917
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Posts: 1,906
Nolmendil
right-aligned image
The elf felt more than heard the spiders stirring, a sense of unease rapidly spreading within him. Turning his gaze from Baldor to the rest of his companions, Nolmendil saw Braegar cutting himself free from the web and reaching the ground, while Grimfara and Solveig rushed to assist him. No, not assist him, defend him! Vidar was still stranded upon the top of the wall, still resolute and determined. Anyone else would have surely panicked, making the dwarf’s bravery all the more admirable. The Noldo could not see Vormund from were he stood, but he was certain that the ranger was aware of the threat. The Dúnedain were famous for their almost supernatural ability to sense danger and were rarely surprised by their enemies. Nolmendil felt the urge to join his companions in securing Braegar’s and Vidar‘s retreat, but his duty lay elsewhere. Their bravery and skill in battle would be useless if Baldor, in his confused state, just wandered away and found himself facing a situation worse than the giant spiders. Mirkwood, as the Men called the vast forest, was ancient and the taint of the Shadow had not left it after the Necromancer’s defeat. Nolmendil was certain that many things much worse than bandits and overgrown insects called its dark groves and caves home.

Turning back to his merchant friend, the elf placed a reassuring hand upon his shoulder. "I know it must be terribly confusing, Baldor, not remembering me or the others. We are however your friends. You hired us to accompany you through Mirkwood. Why else would we be here if not to help you? Our intent is to save you from the giant spiders and escort you safely back to Belgo." That was a mistake, Nolmendil realized, but it was too late to rectify it. At the mention of his son’s name, Baldor’s eyes grew wide. Unless the elf did something, his friend would once more bolt blindly towards the forest in search of Belgo. There were many ways to calm an agitated animal and most worked on Men and Eldar equally well. The Noldo started feverishly recalling the contents of his satchel. Had he brought anything with him that could be of use? Roots or leaves perhaps? There were even some rare flower petals with the ability to calm the nerves of the one who chewed them. If no solution presented itself, he would have to forcibly detain his friend, though he would do so only as a last resort and with as little violence as possible.

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old Jul 30th, 2020, 12:44 PM
Avner's Avatar
Avner Avner is offline
Peace was never an option
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 27th, 2020
RPXP: 29422
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner
Posts: 24,172
Vidar
right-aligned image

Vidar winced as Braegar was caught in the webbing below but breathed a sigh of relief as he was able to cut his way out and make it down to the bottom of the wall. They had done it Nolmendil and the others had Baldor and they could make their escape from the creatures. The relief had been premature however, Vidar suddenly realized how close danger lurked as the webs began to vibrate. Looking down he noticed that his allies were clear of them. Looking at his footing he knew to well that he had not touched the webbing either. Throwing down the rope he called to the other.

"What ye be waiting for, put boots to dirt. Get out of here! I will buy ye some time. Ain't never been a web slinger that liked the sharp side of me axe."

This is the moment. he thought as he gripped his axe.

The shadow was coming for him, just as he knew it always would. The Shadow was coming and he would face it. There was a reason that it came for him, with its darkness came fear. Fear of his strength, and he'd be damned if he didn't give it something to be afraid of!

Turning back toward the movement on the webs he called out. "My name is Vidar son of Frór! You want a fight I got one for ye come and take a taste ye nasty little buggers!" he called out drawing as much attention to himself as eh could.

Vidar had given the others the moment they needed. He would hold of the spiders as long as he could until they got Baldor to safety and if he even had an ounce of luck left... he might even live to see his way through it.

Actions
 


Vidar son of Frór
 
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old Jul 30th, 2020, 06:44 PM
Helvorix's Avatar
Helvorix Helvorix is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 25th, 2020
RPXP: 812
Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix
Posts: 361
The spiders were awake, 'And it's my fault,' Braegar thought, 'I was too loud and too clumsy, and now Vidar is going to be the one to pay the price for my mistake.' He looked around him, and his eyes fell on Nolmendil and he remembered the elf's plan. "We still have the fire, Vidar," he said, "Vormund can still set an arrow aflame and give you time to climb down and escape!"

Braegar moved to Nolmendil's side to help him get Baldor ready to move.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:30 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB