Game Thread Chapter 1: Don't Leave the Path - Page 7 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > East of the Misty Mountains
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #91  
Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 11:59 PM
Silent Rain's Avatar
Silent Rain Silent Rain is online now
Neighborhood Mind Flayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 27th, 2020
RPXP: 8458
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Posts: 4,032
Journey through MirkwoodDestination: The Forest Gate
Approximate Travel Length: 160 miles (9 days travel)
Peril Rating: 3
  • Guide: Solveig
  • Scout: Vormund + Braegar (help action gives advantage)
  • Hunter: Solveig
  • Look-out: Nolmendil + Grimfara or Vidar (help action gives advantage)
Traveled Thus Far: 2 Days - 36 Miles

The CastleVormund was the first to notice the vibrations that reverberated down nearly all of the webbing covering the castle ruins. With one foot perched on the edge of the crumbled crenelation atop the top, he drew and nocked an arrow, fingers resting calmly against his ear, holding back the drawn bow.

Nolmendil tried his best to reason with Baldor, but the man's mind seemed to afield to listen to the words of reason. The elf rummaged through his supplies to see if there might be anything that would assist in this situation, but there was nothing to be found.

Vidar turned away from the rope that would lead him down the wall and brought his axe to bare in the direction where the giant spiders had been spotted. The dwarf decided that if the others were to stand a chance of escaping, he would have to hold the spiders back right where he stood. With a shout, he challenged the beasts, drawing as much of their ire as he could.

Braegar looked up at his dwarven companion, still standing atop the wall, reminding him that Vormund could still light the webs on fire, if need be. Then, the dwarf was gone and Braegor was left with the feeling of guilt over likely being the one that had alerted the spiders of their presence in the first place. Taking up position beside Nolmendil, Braegar prepared to physically remove the merchant if need be.

No sooner did one of the large spiders appear of the top of the keep wall, did an arrow whistle accross from the top of the tower, striking the arachnid through one of its eyes. It shrieked and thrashed about in pain. From further beyond the keep ruins, the sound of other spiders began shrieking as well.

Baldor's eyes went wide as he heart the sound of the spider's shriek. Looking up toward the top of the wall, he saw the attercop thrashing about.

"Aggh! The beasts have returned to take me away again!" The addle-minded merchant attempted to
Dice Acrobatics check (made with advantage from fear driving his actions) contested by Athletics or Acrobatics check:
1d20+1 (8)+1 Total = 9
Dice Roll:
1d20+1 (5)+1 Total = 6
break free from anyone attempting to stop him. of anyone attempting to restrain him and flee back into the forest.


GM NotesRoll for initiative! Anyone getting equal to or higher than a 10 can act first. Baldor is attempting to flee away into the forest. If anyone wants to restrain him, you will need to beat a 9 on a athletics or acrobatics check.

Vormund's readied attack hits the attercop for 11 damage.

Last edited by Silent Rain; Aug 3rd, 2020 at 12:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 11:53 AM
Elanir's Avatar
Elanir Elanir is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 22nd, 2020
RPXP: 7917
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Posts: 1,906
Nolmendil
right-aligned image
The longer Nolmendil rummaged his satchel to find something useful to calm Baldor’s both rational and irrational fears, the wider his friend’s eyes got, until the elf instinctively knew that his time was up. There was no sophisticated answer to this problem, nothing in the lore he had managed to gather in the hundreds of years he called Middle Earth home could help him now. There was merely him and his friend, whose mind was clouded and who was ready to flee blindly towards the forest. It was a good thing the Eldar were blessed with speed and agility superior to most intelligent races for these skills would certainly have to be put to the test.

Baldor and Nolmendil acted almost at exact the same time, as if performing a dance they had practiced for many moons. The Man slightly raised his arms before his face, as if to use them to remove any obstacles in his path, turned slightly to the left and attempted to pass between Grimdara and the Noldo. At the same time the elf opened his arms widely, as if to embrace a long lost friend, and jumped towards Baldor, grabbed him firmly and used all his limbs to keep him immobile. Nolmendil’s quick reflexes had taken the merchant by surprise, but he wasn’t sure how long he could restrain him, especially without harming him. "Grimfara!", called out the elf. "I have a rope in my satchel. Use it to bind Baldor’s arms, but not his legs. We need to control him, but not incapacitate him. We might need to run away at a moment’s notice!" Taking a look at the dwarf High upon the wall, who seemed lost in some personal dream of honor and glory, the elf urged his other human companion to intervene. "Braegar, please support Vidar with your arrows. Vormund’s aim has struck true, but the beast is still not beaten. Don’t let its fangs reach our friend no matter how hardy he is. It is a big fall from up there and I am not sure even one of Durin’s folk could survive it!"

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 12:25 AM
Helvorix's Avatar
Helvorix Helvorix is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 25th, 2020
RPXP: 812
Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix
Posts: 361
"I can't," said Braegar, grinding his teeth in frustration, "I gave my bow and quiver to Belgo. There's nothing I can do for him from down here." He gestured toward the bow slung across the Eldar's back, "Unless you wish to lend me yours?"

Last edited by Helvorix; Aug 5th, 2020 at 12:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 01:48 AM
Elanir's Avatar
Elanir Elanir is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 22nd, 2020
RPXP: 7917
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Posts: 1,906
Nolmendil
right-aligned image
Braegar’s words took Nolmendil by surprise and he almost lost his grasp on Baldor, who was trying to squirm and kick his way free of the elf’s firm embrace. The Noldo could understand why Braegar would do such a thing, in fact it spoke highly of the man’s kindness, but he wasn’t sure young Belgo would be able to use such a weapon effectively. In any case, what was done was done. Believing the Man a superior archer than him, the scholar nodded. "Sure, Braegar, my shortbow and arrows are yours. You’ll have to get them yourself however. I don’t dare let go of Baldor. I know you will make each arrow count!"

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 10:58 PM
Silent Rain's Avatar
Silent Rain Silent Rain is online now
Neighborhood Mind Flayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 27th, 2020
RPXP: 8458
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Posts: 4,032
Journey through MirkwoodDestination: The Forest Gate
Approximate Travel Length: 160 miles (9 days travel)
Peril Rating: 3
  • Guide: Solveig
  • Scout: Vormund + Braegar (help action gives advantage)
  • Hunter: Solveig
  • Look-out: Nolmendil + Grimfara or Vidar (help action gives advantage)
Traveled Thus Far: 2 Days - 36 Miles

The CastleWith no other recourse to subdue the raving merchant, Nolmendil grappled with Baldor, restraining him momentarily as best he could. He yelled out to Grimfara to fetch the rope from his bag. The Boerning did as he was bade and retrieved the rope and bound the merchant's hands.

The attercop reared its head and a large stream of white fluid sprayed out toward Vidar. The dwarf tried to dodge in time, but he could not make it time. Within seconds, he was was covered head to toe, restrained by the strong webbing.

GM NotesVidar is restrained. If attempting to break free, that will take a DC 11 Str check. Everyone else is up.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 01:01 PM
Avner's Avatar
Avner Avner is offline
Peace was never an option
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 27th, 2020
RPXP: 29422
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner
Posts: 24,172
Vidar
right-aligned image

Much to Vidar's frustration his allies had not yet moved from the bottom of they seemed to be taking their time. He saw Nolmendil grabbing Baldor as the man started to panic but still they still stood at the bottom of the wall. Soon they bound the merchant instead of taking him away from the danger. "Stop lolling about you lot! Get out of here! I'll slow this over grown bug down and show it what's wha...." the dwarf was suddenly interupted as he was covered in the sticky ichor of the shadowspawn's webs.

From beneath the cacoon of webs a growl could be heard as an axe suddenly burst through the webbing the dwarf ripping the rest of his binds from him. "Ohhhhhh..... that was gross. You are soooo going to pay for that! ARGHHHHHH!" he yelled as he charged the spider.


Actions
 


Vidar son of Frór
 
__________________
“Everybody knows it. Wizards are supposed to have beards. It's common knowledge.”
― Terry Goodkind, Wizard's First Rule

Last edited by Avner; Aug 14th, 2020 at 01:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 01:05 PM
Helvorix's Avatar
Helvorix Helvorix is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 25th, 2020
RPXP: 812
Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix
Posts: 361
Braegar wasted no time. The moment Nolmendil assented, Braegar took the Eldar's bow off his back, drawing an arrow from his quiver in the same motion. He spun and searched for his target at the top of the wall. "Don't be too sure. At least your elf eyes can pierce the dark better than mine." He replied.

He could see a shadowy mass lurking at the south corner. He nocked the arrow and loosed it at the creature, but he couldn't tell if he struck true or not in the gloom.


Stats and Actions
 

 

Last edited by Helvorix; Aug 14th, 2020 at 01:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 03:08 PM
Elanir's Avatar
Elanir Elanir is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 22nd, 2020
RPXP: 7917
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Posts: 1,906
Nolmendil
right-aligned image
The Eldar were famous for their ability to survey a situation detached from it, more acutely feeling the passage of time, almost surveying events in slow motion. Nolmendil forced himself to do the same. He watched Grimfara binding Baldor’s hands and keeping him from fleeing mindlessly to the forest, the giant spider spitting strands of sticky web and completely covering the courageous dwarf standing in the beast‘s path, Vidar using his sharp axe to cut the webbing, freeing himself and Braegar’s arrow flying a little too high to strike the spider. The Noldo despaired for there was nothing he could do from where he stood. Or was there? His sharp gaze fell upon Solveig standing still, undecided how best to proceed, carrying a powerful great bow.

Nolmendil moved swiftly and silently, like an owl diving to catch a mouse, approached the female warrior, reassured her with a nod and a pat on the shoulder, took from her the great bow, drew an arrow from his quiver, aimed and… halted. The dwarven warrior was charging the beast and had the elf let loose, he would have struck his companion in the back. Lowering his bow at the very last moment, the Noldo saw his arrow strike the ruins‘ wall, its shaft breaking into a dozen pieces of wood, some larger and some mere splitters. Nolmendil inhaled deeply, exhaled through the mouth and readied his bow for another shot. This time he would plunge it into the spider’s eyes, hopefully before the spider had the chance to poison Vidar.

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 01:14 AM
Touketsu's Avatar
Touketsu Touketsu is offline
Mysterious Ice Ninja
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 26th, 2020
RPXP: 4373
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Posts: 2,930
Vormund
right-aligned image
The ranger cursed under his breath as Vidar was captured, temporarily, by the web. The relief as the dwarf freed himself was temporary though, as Vidar proceeded to charge straight back into danger. Drawing back his bowstring, Vormund's only choice in this moment was to take down the foul creature as quickly as possible to give them an opening to run.

Loosing the arrow, it flew with precision throughout the air, plunging deep into the attercop's abdomen. The ranger's fingers had scarcely left the string before he moved them down toward his bag, grabbing and removing a torch in one swift motion. As soon as the others were clear... he was going to burn the bastards up.
Actions & Rolls
Initiative: 11

Move: -
Action: Vormund fires an arrow at the the attercop.
AttackAttack Roll: 19 (Hit)
Damage: 7 Piercing

Reaction: -
Free Action: Pull out a torch
Stat Block
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath!

Last edited by Touketsu; Aug 17th, 2020 at 03:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 03:06 AM
Silent Rain's Avatar
Silent Rain Silent Rain is online now
Neighborhood Mind Flayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 27th, 2020
RPXP: 8458
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Posts: 4,032
Journey through MirkwoodDestination: The Forest Gate
Approximate Travel Length: 160 miles (9 days travel)
Peril Rating: 3
  • Guide: Solveig
  • Scout: Vormund + Braegar (help action gives advantage)
  • Hunter: Solveig
  • Look-out: Nolmendil + Grimfara or Vidar (help action gives advantage)
Traveled Thus Far: 2 Days - 36 Miles

The CastleVidar, frustrated that the others were not fleeing fast enough, shouted at them to make their escape. His muscles bulged for a moment before the webbing around in ripped in half and an angry dwarf burst forth, charging directly toward the giant spider.

Braegar pulled Nolmendil's bow from the elf's pack and nocked an arrow instantly. His hand came back against his cheek as he drew the bow, searching for his target in the dim light. Shadows bounced and flittered about in the periphery of the torchlight, but Braegar did his best to find his target. Even then, his arrow missed, disappearing silently into the dark.

Nolmendil took hold of Solveig's bow as she quietly handed it to him, she herself frozen in fright at the sight of the attercop. The elf fired an arrow, but it also missed, breaking itself against the crumbling keep wall.

Thankfully, Vormund's aim was true from atop the remains of the tower, embedding an arrow deep into the giant spider's abdomen. It thrashed and shrieked in pain, but despite its obvious wounds, still refused to go down.

The wounded spider lashed out at Vidar with its large mandibles, its attacks made in a desperate attempt to survive. The dwarf swatted its jaws away before it could come close.

More shrieks could be heard in the dark further past the keep, a dangerous reminder that there were still many more spiders lurking unseen. As if on queue, another appear and skittered along the keep wall, stopping along its edge and spitting a stream of webbing down toward Nolmendil, covering him in a thick layer.


GM NotesNolmendil is restrained. If attempting to break free, that will take a DC 11 Str check. Everyone else is up.
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 01:31 PM
Elanir's Avatar
Elanir Elanir is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 22nd, 2020
RPXP: 7917
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Posts: 1,906
Nolmendil
right-aligned image
Nolmendil was aiming once more at the critically wounded giant spider, when another one appeared out of nowhere and spat at him an amorphous mass of sticky web. The elf was quick, but apparently the spider was quicker for within moments the Noldo found himself struggling inside a cage -or rather a cocoon- that restricted his every movement. The elf, unable to move or speak, started panicking but his warrior’s training and inbred discipline almost immediately took over, the fear turning his muscles to steel. With a cry that surprised even himself Nolmendil broke free of the webbing and brandished Solveig’s great bow as if he had been holding a banner to signify that he was all right. "Fear not for the grace of the Valar protects us. A Elbereth Gilthoniel!" His eyes turned to the top of the tower. Would Vormund dare to set the spiders aflame?

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 04:41 PM
Touketsu's Avatar
Touketsu Touketsu is offline
Mysterious Ice Ninja
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 26th, 2020
RPXP: 4373
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Posts: 2,930
Vormund
right-aligned image
More spiders... and more blasts of webbing. Vormund feared that dragging this fight out anymore would only put them at risk of losing their chance at escape.

Lowering his bow, the ranger pulled out his flint and steel, lighting the torch he'd pulled out and raising it high into the air.

"VIDAR! OFF THE WALL!"
Actions & Rolls
Initiative: 11

Move: -
Free Action: Light a torch
Action: Prepared Action: Vormund throws a lit torch into the spider nest at the end of the round to give Vidar time to move.
AttackAttack Roll: 18 (Hit)

Reaction: -
Stat Block
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath!

Last edited by Touketsu; Aug 17th, 2020 at 04:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 01:57 PM
Avner's Avatar
Avner Avner is offline
Peace was never an option
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 27th, 2020
RPXP: 29422
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner
Posts: 24,172
Vidar
right-aligned image

The adrenaline of battle coursed through the dwarfs veins as he thwarted away the large spiders attack. "Ye 'ave to do better than that darkspawn! Ye be facing Vidar son of Frór! " he called out. Looking back toward Vormund and called back. "I'll hold them off till the rest are clear of the wall. At the pace they be goin' me thinks they might be wantin' me dead first!" he calls back as he lifts his axe and slams it into the spider before him. "How do ye like me bite?!" he said with a huff.

The dwarf was enjoying every minute of the battle but his words rang true. He swore to cover their escape and had no plans to move from the wall until he had done so. Every moment of their delay put him more at risk and Vidar began to question who he had chosen has his travelling companions. They either were too daft to understand an escape plan or even realize they were in danger, or they simply were delaying long enough to cut off his own escape. Vidar quickly thought back to what he could have done to earn their betrayal. They had spent some time on the caravan together and even met the betrayal of some of the other guards but he could think of nothing he had done to offend them.

"Alright eight legs. When I'm done with ye I'm killin yer brother."he said with a grim purpose.


Actions
 


Vidar son of Frór
 
__________________
“Everybody knows it. Wizards are supposed to have beards. It's common knowledge.”
― Terry Goodkind, Wizard's First Rule
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 08:11 PM
Helvorix's Avatar
Helvorix Helvorix is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 25th, 2020
RPXP: 812
Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix
Posts: 361
"You're mad!" Braegar called at the dwarf's proclamation that he'd stay and fight. He was alone up there and the spiders would soon flank him, but it wasn't Braegar's choice to make. He loosed another arrow before turning to Grimfara. "Come on, we need to get Baldor back to the road." He took the merchant under one of his arms and started hauling him back the way they came. He figured he could move a ways, then loose another arrow, move then loose again, until they were too far out to see any longer.


Stats and Actions
 

 
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old Aug 24th, 2020, 12:06 AM
Silent Rain's Avatar
Silent Rain Silent Rain is online now
Neighborhood Mind Flayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 27th, 2020
RPXP: 8458
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Posts: 4,032
Journey through MirkwoodDestination: The Forest Gate
Approximate Travel Length: 160 miles (9 days travel)
Peril Rating: 3
  • Guide: Solveig
  • Scout: Vormund + Braegar (help action gives advantage)
  • Hunter: Solveig
  • Look-out: Nolmendil + Grimfara or Vidar (help action gives advantage)
Traveled Thus Far: 2 Days - 36 Miles

The CastleNolmendil panicked for a moment as he became encased in a mass of sticky webbing, restricting his movement. His mind calmed after a few seconds and was able to think rationally again. With a quick application of force, he felt the webs tearing and then finally give as he broke free from his binds.

With one strike of his steel against the flint, a spark ignited one of his torches. He held it aloft as he stood perched on the edge of the crumbling tower, hoping the dwarf would see reason and make his escape.

Now on the offensive after being entrapped in the spider's webs, Vidar came down onto the nearby attercop with an overhead chop that buried itself deep within the carapace of the spider. It made a horrible shriek as its legs flared out wide, but somehow it still managed to stand back up upon its legs, despite it many wounds.

As the spider was just recovering from Vidar's strike, an arrow from Braegar dropped the creature without another sound. He also took to yelling at the stubborn dwarf to make his escape.

Grimfara grabbed the panicking Baldor right up off the ground and threw him over his shoulder. The merchant was kicking and screaming to be put down, though he could do little to fight against the barbarian as his hands were tied. With Baldor in tow, Grimfara began making a run (Dash action at half speed from carrying an unwilling person) for the treeline back from where they had come.

Another giant spider skittered over to the edge of the wall and shrieked at those gathered on the ground below.

Vormund tossed his torch in a high arch and it flew over the gap between the tower and keep, lighting the darkness between them momentarily as it passed. With barely a sound it land behind Vidar. A moment later a 'whoosh' sounded and a mass of flames spread in all directions and seemed to roll along toward the far end of the keep. The two spider's shrieked as the webs around them suddenly burst into flames. Then, just as quickly as it started, it was gone, along with all of the webs on top of the keep.


GM NotesVidar needs to make a DC 12 Dex save of suffer 1d6 fire damage. A successful save halves the damage.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:27 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB