RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Feb 15th, 2021, 02:09 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10821
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Through Sunken Lands

Applications are now closed

Through Sunken Lands

The RulesetThrough Sunken Lands will be using Flatlands Games' new ruleset and setting of the same name. Like its sister game, Beyond the Wall, players will create characters using various different 'playbooks' that will create and flesh out unique backgrounds and starting skills and abilities. For those not familiar with Through Sunken Lands or Beyond the Wall, fear not, game play is typical for a d20 OSR and I will provide all the information needed to play once the party has been selected.

The AdventureThe characters have all answered the call of an expedition departing from Jundarr, the Impossible City, to the unexplored island of Kipotia. Akamu Ku, one of Jundarr's most successful (read: unscrupulous) treasure hunters has come to learn of a massive fortune that is alleged to have been kept on the island. Although he will not disclose anything more than that, he is offering enough coin to dissuade any hard feelings about not providing more information.

It is the morning of your departure where you have been told to meet at the docks at first light. The Leilani and her crew await to be underway with the morning tide...

Information about the setting can be found HERE.

The ApplicationPlayers will need to provide the following in their application:
  • Name
  • Description (Including picture)
  • Playbook Results, selected from the options HERE. (Two different characters can be rolled in this way and you can select whichever you like). All rolls should be made HERE. Do NOT roll in this application thread.
  • History (Be sure to include and flesh out the events that were identified in your playbook.)

Other Information
  • Application Deadline: 3/1
  • Party Size: I currently have one player and am looking for 3-4 more.

Player Character Playbook Status
Wishkamon Daigen Eldritch Sorcerer King Complete
TibbyLTP Lilith Kupoteza High Cabalist Complete
mpowell60 Wolf Pirate Captain Complete
Berith Binna Irhaal Eldritch sorcerer queen Withdrawn
Solid Snek Jack Dawnkeeper Spell-thief Complete
Lemming23 Gaeseric Cosmic Champion WIP
cav Neketa High Cabalist Complete

Last edited by Silent Rain; Mar 1st, 2021 at 05:01 PM.
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 02:18 PM
Literal Worm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5962
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
Hey there! I'm interested in trying some new systems, and the character creation via playbook aproach is intriguing to me!
I was wondering what your expected post rate would be?

Last edited by Wishkamon; Feb 15th, 2021 at 02:19 PM.
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 02:31 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
I would like to keep a 1-2 GM update/week schedule, depending on how quickly everyone gets their posts in.
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 02:42 PM
Literal Worm

Tools
User Statistics
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
Ok, that sounds doable! I'll have a look at the playbooks and try combat my chronic indescision to pick one! ^^;
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 03:26 PM
rawr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2360
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
Oh, man. TSL, like BTW, is an awesome game, easily the best OSR type game. Coupled with that, Silent Rain is a great player too, and I have no doubt will be a great GM too. This one is hard to resist, but I'm really not sure I have the time for it.

Playing: Gaeseric, Cosmic Champion; Snick-R-DDL-2, Troubleshooter. Running: The First Mask (Cthulhu Zero)
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 04:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 103
TibbyLTP TibbyLTP
Hey, I am also interested in this as well as learning a new system. Is this something that we will need to purchase or is the player info mostly freely accessible a-la an SRD? If not do I just need to get the $10 PDF from DriveThroughRPG? Or is there anything else I would need to grab?
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 04:30 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Hey TibbyLTP. No need to purchase anything. Everything you would need to create a character can be found in the playbooks and the setting folder I linked to above. Once I select the party, I will provide everyone with what they need to know to actually play the game.

That said, I still highly recommend picking up the pdf or printed version of the book, if you can. It is an excellent system (Easily my favorite OSR ruleset and setting) and has some great artwork.
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 05:01 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 103
TibbyLTP TibbyLTP
Noted, I will read up on how to make a char and get one rolled asap.
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 06:13 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
@Lemming23 Hey Lemming, I completely agree with everything you just said

You know you want to apply...
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 06:33 AM
Literal Worm

Tools
User Statistics
Another quick question- sorry if I overloked it in your wonderfully thorough world info pages-
Is there any signifcant differences between the eldritch and normal humans- things like physical differences of slower aging?

Thanks!
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 10:05 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Another good question. I just added some information about the Eldritch to the setting guide, which I will also include here:
Quote:
In many sword and sorcery stories, the world was once ruled by an ancient race wholly unlike men. The remnants of these eldritch rulers still linger in decadent and crumbling citadels and glorious cities, dreaming of their past glories and honoring millenia-old pacts with forgotten gods. Sometimes these beings have origins on other planets or in other planes of existence.

Members of the eldritch race superficially resemble humans, though they are long-limbed, fair-featured, and of alien temperament. They are naturally sorcerous, and are more akin to spirits or demons than to common folk. Fae, otherworldly, and often cruel, they are feared by mortals. Occasionally, one of the eldritch will journey to the lands of men and seek lost knowledge or something else. Sometimes they take human mages as their apprentices, sharing sorcerous secrets not known for centuries or even millenia. Rarer still, once in an age, a whole band of these creatures may take to the seas and seek to reclaim what was once theirs.

Unaging - The eldritch maintain their youth and vigor for their entire, long lives. Some say that they are actually immortal. The eldritch are fair of form. They automatically resist all forms of non-magical disease and poison.

True Name - Like the spirits which are their kin, all members of this race have true names, and those with the knowledge may use an eldritch’s name against him. Knowing an eldritch’s true name gives a character great power. By calling out the name, a character gains +5 to all actions taken against the eldritch character, including attacking it.

Last edited by Silent Rain; Feb 17th, 2021 at 10:06 AM.
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 01:41 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Moved application for mpowell60:

Name - Wolf

Class - Pirate Captain

Description - Tall, Lean, human male. Brown hair, piercing Dark Eyes with a Lupine Stare.
wears a Salt-Encrusted Leather Vest over a worn silk shirt with
faded leather pants, scuffed Knee high Boots and a ratty Tri-corn hat
completes the ensemble

Playbook:
Born to Wanderers on a boat in the Northern Sea..
Enjoyed wandering while young
War Fleets took Everything (killed parents-joined a pirate ship)
Elected Captain after previous Fell in Battle
Rival Captain friend
Raided Tyrant City-State- defeated their fleet, with Help(?) (F+1Int)
ally- a cold passionless logician who improves all my plans(meh)
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 09:17 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 118
mpowell60 mpowell60
WOLF
right-aligned image

Name - Wolf

Class - Pirate Captain

Description - Tall, Lean, human male. Brown hair, piercing Dark Eyes with a Lupine Stare.
wears a Salt-Encrusted Leather Vest over a worn silk shirt with
faded leather pants, scuffed Knee high Boots and a ratty Tri-corn hat
completes the ensemble

Playbook:

Wolf's History:

Born to Raider wanderers in the Enchanted Depths of the Northern Seas, Wolf was named for the White Furred, Great Northern Wolf, a pack of which were howling on a nearby island at the time of his birth. He spent his childhood wandering the northern seas with his parents and the Flotilla of boats of his clan. The sea has called to him from the time he could crawl, it rocked him to sleep as an infant. it cradled him to its bosom when he Cried, it's slap slap rhythm on the hull comforted him, and its' rages awed him. It also taught him to respect its power, nearly drowning him as a toddler, giving him a fear of submersion for years.

He was 12 when the flotilla was attacked by another Raider clan. They fought back, but were overwhelmed. His parents both died and he was taken away with other youngsters, he to be sold to a passing Pirate ship as a replacement, he was lucky...others were given as "tribute" to Jundarrian Crown Emissaries and taken south into slavery.

His early days aboard a pirate ship were pure misery. The ship was very different than the ones he was used to, and the Crew were not all that sympathetic to his plight. He got toughened up pretty quickly...finding his place among them and learning how to pull his weight(Lashes were a BIG motivator!). When his natural intelligence and wisdom brought him to the attention of the captain he was taken in to be trained as a midshipman. (officer in training) After a couple years and plenty of proving himself he was promoted to Third Mate and took responsibility for the graveyard Watch. A year later, when the First and Second Mates lead a Mutiny against the Captain. He stood with the Captain along with a significant portion of the crew. The Captain was mortally wounded, but succeeded in killing the First Mate, and injuring the Second Mate enough for Wolf to disembowel him. The Captain Promoted Wolf to Command from his deathbed and the Crew cheered. Limping back to port, the sea brought him a gift..(since he cannot Navigate and the officers who could were all dead!)
the ship encountered a foundered ship stuck on a rocky outcropping with a single survivor. An Eldritch Second Mate, who could Navigate!
In some eldritch fasion he decided he owed his life to Wolf, and joined the crew. Wolf Promoted him to First Mate, and they scavenged the other ship for supplies and headed back to port.

Once there Wolf had the ships' name changed to Accalia (she-wolf in Eldritch), Wolf had a smattering of Eldritch from his time in the North, and took every opportunity with the new First Mate to strengthen his ability to speak and write it. And since the port was owned by Jundarr, he signed up as a independent Privateer for the Jundarrian Naval Forces, got a hasty refitting, and set back out to catch pirates in the waters controlled by Jundarr.

He made a name for himself in the Impossible City by discovering that a tiny City-State, nominally Allied with Jundarr, was actually luring Jundarrian ships to crash on a rocky island nearby, then looting the wrecked ships. With the assistance of his Loyal First Mate, and (player?) He turned the tables on the Navy of that City and defeated 4 ships by running them aground or sniping with a Ballista and Fire Bolts. When the Navy arrived to back him up....they just took up positions blockading the city's harbor, and bombarded the town and keep with Trebuchet's until the People of the City-State defenestrated the foolish Ruler and waved a white flag.

He's spent the last two years riding that fame. The Captains share has kept him in booze and women for a long time, but is dwindling now.
he has been out many times with the ship, but no pirates have cooperated with maintaining and/or bolstering his fame..and there is nothing sadder than Last Years Hero, striving to stay Relevent.

His friend and rival Captain Mor'Gan has ribbed him good-naturedly when they meet, teasingly rubbing his recent successes like salt into the wounds of Wolfs bad luck. Then comes a summons to assist Akamu Ku, in an expedition. Details are skimpy, but the pay will put the Accalia back in business.

Last edited by mpowell60; Feb 23rd, 2021 at 01:25 PM. Reason: consolodate Character into one sheet
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 05:44 PM
Literal Worm

Tools
User Statistics
Status- complete but still tweaking!
Daigen
right-aligned image

Appearance- Daigen carries the ethereal pale beauty of his people- his hair is the colour of platinum and his skin like petals of magnolia. He is shorter than most of his race, though no less lithe, and carries a disarmingly boyish type of beauty which often draws the scorn of those who come to dislike him. Despite his youthful features he dresses as a gentleman, and is rarely seen without some exotic flower in his hair or in his lapel- a symbol of his obsessesion with beauty.

Personality- Daigen truly believes in two things; his people's ultimate superiority, and the volatile laws of chaos. He cares little for the fleeting lives of humans unless they have proven their worth with notable deeds, great works of art, or a willingness to help him in his own endeavours.

Typically he carries an air of disinterested superiority, and will often talk down to Particularly those he considers pensants.humans he does not know. his outward appearence harbours a fickle temper- he can be confortational and abrasive when the desire takes him, and is not shy of backing up his words with actions. In fact daigen would never back down from a challenge which he thinks he could win. He gets a kick out of provoking people, although any who have earned his respect are submitted to this behavior only in jest. Those rare few might even be permitted to make jokes at his expense without risking his blade.

Background-
Daigen was raised in the dusty, crumbling estate of his ancient family. His parents, like many remaining Eldritch, were dedicated to a life of leisure; content to bask in the decaying splendor of their mansion with little interest in much else. The most effort they would devote to any single task was throwing lavish parties for the other inhabitants of their island, and even the raising of their son came second to this activity. Instead, young Daigen was left to wander and explore the extensive property in the care of a demonic servant named Or nyluthxyxynargornda, if we're being technical.'Nana.

He would spend much of his early life restoring the great gardens, learning to grow wonderful flowers and medicines; but more time yet was spent learning from the books in his family's library. Here he read about the glorious empire of his heritage and learnt some of the of the secrets of their magic. It was also here where he found a tome which spoke of the locations of several ancient works of art, and he decided that he would dedicate himself to seeing the world and reclaiming them.

One such early journey took him south, to the Lost City of Karentur where he believed he could find an artifact stolen from his people by their ancient rivals.
After much investigation, and with the help of (your character here? ;-)) he located the artifact in the horde of a great necromancer lord. Together they slew the guardian monstrocity to acces yhe treasures. Among them was a beautiful circlet- a peaked crown of long forgotten aristocracy. Being incredibly modest and humble, Daigen wears this crown on his snowy head every day, seeing it as his blood-rite and as a sign of his superiority.

A few years later Daigen's book led him to the impossible city. The clues to untangle here were plentiful and so he rented an opulent apartment to live in and filled it with his collected artifacts. Most recently an expedition to Kipotia has caught his eye. A passage in his tome has lead him to belive that the Scepter of Cillius might be found in the forgotten city, and the fact that Akamu Ku is leading the expedition sealed the deal. The man has a good reputation for finding ancient treasure caches...

Although the lives of mortals held little interest for the arrogant treasure-seeker, one did catch his eye- Illaoi. She was a performer who danced on the edge of the great market, and she moved with the frantic energy of chaos personified. She spoke to him with a fiery, unapologetic tongue and serrated wit which he found mesmerising. He remains intoxicated by this woman even to this day, though she does not see him as more than a friend.

RP Sample

Last edited by Wishkamon; Feb 24th, 2021 at 08:19 AM.
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 02:23 AM
Nanomachines, Son!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1148
Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek
I have literally never heard of the system, but the lore was so engrossing that instead of picking away at it, I just binged the entirety. I'm stoked!

Ghost CollectorName: Jack "Jackdaw" Dawnkeeper
Class: Spell-thief
Appearance: Young, with blond, scraggly hair. He dresses not like a crook, but more like an academic, which Jack regards himself as. He is neither particularly pretty nor ugly, but carries an infectious smile wherever he goes. His exodus from civilized society into that of an "impromptu archaeologist" is uncommonly not born of tragedy, but merely of peculiar circumstance, and as such Jack lacks the rough exterior of most adventurers.

Personality: Jack is upbeat and cheerful at every moment. He is never alone, as journeying with him (he claims) are a trio of ghosts that have become his friends over the course of his travels. If he's lying (or more likely, crazy), Jack is at least acting the part, often tossing asides and casual comments to unseen entities. He will respond to questions no one asked, and make inside jokes that no one understands.

In spite of his apparent mental affliction, Jack is intelligent and canny, which he claims is due to having "extra eyes" watching his back and double-checking his work. In addition, Jack always seems to stumble across information that he couldn't possibly know...

Background:

~ Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Solid Snek; Feb 20th, 2021 at 12:55 PM.