RPXP: 118
mpowell60 mpowell60
test ....how does this look?

Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 03:05 PM
rawr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2360
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
Are we getting a free trait as well? I know it's optional.

Playing: Gaeseric, Cosmic Champion; Snick-R-DDL-2, Troubleshooter. Running: The First Mask (Cthulhu Zero)
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 03:10 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 118
mpowell60 mpowell60
the instructions i saw said pick one...i thought about Eternal Hero as well...but Child of the Sea made more sense for the Captain....

gonna cross my fingers to be chosen for this game... really awesome setting..."spider mount" indeed!
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 03:12 PM
rawr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2360
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
Ah, missed that bit. I'll pick Duelist then as well as the free Cosmic Champion one.

Playing: Gaeseric, Cosmic Champion; Snick-R-DDL-2, Troubleshooter. Running: The First Mask (Cthulhu Zero)
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 03:17 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 317
cav cav cav cav
Ever since this posted it has had me thinking of the Queen of the Black Coast and People of the Black Circle. I’ve always wanted to try a Sword and Sorcery game. The saving throws are taking me back to 1st Ed. AD&D. The question is to THacO or not to THac0.
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 03:51 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10871
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
@mpowell60 Yes, that's looking good. No need to stress about the blocks overly much just yet, as I will scrub those once the part is chosen prepares to start.

@Lemming23 Yes, traits at lvl 1, 5, and 9

@cav Yes, as an OSR ruleset, it definitely has "old school" vibes (in a good way), despite being released at the end of 2019. I don't miss THaC0, however.
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 06:39 PM
Literal Worm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5962
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
Have also added an RP sample. Kind of giving of creepy guy vibes but I think thats what I was going for...

Last edited by Wishkamon; Feb 24th, 2021 at 08:20 AM.
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 08:55 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
cav cav cav cav
Out of curiosity what class is the already chosen character? Just so we aren’t duplicating on an existing role.
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 10:04 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
@Wishkamon Thanks, nice addition

@cav That is Berith, which I have already added to the chart. Eldritch Sorcerer King. Also, I'm fine if there is more than one player with the same playbook.
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 11:48 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 103
TibbyLTP TibbyLTP
Lilith Kupoteza
Name: Lilith Kupoteza

Description:

Lilith Kupoteza stands at 5'8" with tight braided black hair that leads to a single braid that falls down to the mid of her back. She travels light with only a few basic supplies as she trusts that the spirits will help guide her to what she needs. She speaks with an accent, but is still understood easy enough. That is, until she is excited or angry, when she she reverts back to her native tongue.

Playbook Results:
The High Cabalist
  1. A prosperous and outward-looking kingdom on the southern continent.
  2. No secret escaped you.
  3. You were initiated into a secret society dedicated to finding hidden truths.
  4. When your previous sanctum was discovered by a barbarian warrior bent on your defeat, you fled to the great city to learn new secrets.
  5. An aristocrat who enjoys slumming in the poorer districts likes to hear your stories.
  6. The sorcerer had hired an armed band to defend himself against you.
  7. The favor of a dangerous southern sorceress.

History:
At the right place at the right time dominated much of Lilith's childhood. Growing up poor in a large city she never really had much to do other than walk around and do odd jobs to get a little extra money for the family. A small child however was not exactly the type of help most people were looking for. As such she often just played with some of the other children or just wander around letting her imagination and curiosity lead her. This often led to her being board most days, but on occasion she happened to be around to overhear people plot thefts, bribe guards, cheat on taxes, cheat on spouses, and even once an assassination plot on a noble's life. She never did anything in particular to catch these events, just happened to be at the right angle to see gold passing hands, or hearing voices traveling through an open window when she was walking down a quite street. She was able to use the knowledge of these secrets in order to alert guards to crimes before they were committed, or to sometimes bribe merchants so she could get stuff that she wanted but didn't have the money for, and sometimes even for a little coin.

Her ability to alert guards to crimes before they happened eventually gained notice of an organization that, for the lack of a better term, bought Lilith from her parents. She did not wish to leave her parents and her home, but even at seven she knew the amount of money that was offered was a fortune for a family as poor as her own. Eventually she was able to convince her parents, and herself, that she did want to go with these people and that they should take the money. This organization's goal is to train those gifted with the ability to sniff out secrets and the hidden, both of the mundane and arcane variety. After years of training Lilith rose the ranks and eventually struck out on her own to hone her skills in the real world. Her services have been sought after all over the southern continent to root out corruption and to find the secrets of ancient magic. Her reputation however has never been appreciated by all, and eventually attempts on her life were made. Oddly, her abilities never seemed to work for secrets involving her and it was only through sheer luck or intervening parties that spared Lilith her life.

On one such mission Lilith woke up one morning to find a small ornate box placed upon her bedside table. Her home both guarded and kept secret to all outside of her employ, and there was no sign of any entry from an unwelcome individual. There was an unsigned and unsealed letter sitting upon the box that stated that if she were to find the secret to opening the box than a great debt would be owed to her. The only distinguishing mark that was on the letter was a small eye about the size of a grain of rice in the bottom left corner. After a detailed examination of the mark Lilith determined that it was a sorceress mark that could identify who the letter was from, but looking through all of her records she found no match. After determining that the box itself was not trapped, magical or otherwise, Lilith went about finding out how to open it. It took 8 weeks of research, tinkering, trial and error, and even brute force to eventually she was able to open it. And when she did she found inside a lone solitary letter which read as follows: Thank you Lilith Kupoteza. I for the life of me could not figure out how to open this box. Unfortunately I can not pay you at this time for the services rendered, but know this, there will come a time when you feel trapped, afraid, and unsure of how to continue on. But do not despair, for I will make true on this debt. Gratefully yours, K. The same eye as before was placed both directly after the signed "K" and in the bottom left corner. As Lilith lowered the note she found the the box that had been open in front of her was no longer there. In its place was a single playing card, the 1 of eyes. As Lilith picked up the card she felt a jolt of magical energy rush through her and she cursed herself for not thinking to check the card. After some timed passes she felt that whatever the cards effect, it did not seem malicious. However she quickly found out that no matter what she did, the card always seemed to find its way onto her person as if bound to her as a familiar.

One day her hideaway was found by a mercenary barbarian warrior. As Lilith's guards and servants were struck down by this barbarian she fled leaving behind priceless artifacts that she had collected over the years. Having no time to gather anything in her flight, she only had enough to barter her way onto a ship that was bound to the Great City to hide and gather enough strength to return to her home and strike revenge to those that harmed her. Once in the city she was able to get in contact with an arcane artifact collector that she had dealt with many times in order to get a foothold.

Last edited by TibbyLTP; Feb 27th, 2021 at 12:18 AM.
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 11:54 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
cav cav cav cav
Neketa
right-aligned image

Name: Neketa, Daughter of the Black Spires

Description: Olive skin; long, jet black hair; painted eyes in the style of the Empire of Trackless Sands all set on a lithe 5'6 frame. Ornate robes complete with a hood and scarf to ward against sandstorms of her homeland.

Background:

Hailing from penitent, olive skinned stock in the shadow of the Basalt Throne Neketa bathed in the aroma of sweat and death which was barely held at bay by the perfumers of the Peacock Bazaar. Under the remorseless sun she had lounged like a child of Murlundrel, the God of Cats, and under the protection of Gorak’tal, the One Below, she padded silently in the dark, tight alleys honing her senses to the importance of overheard whispers and their accompanying blood-binding bargains.

A scab of the abyss took her under wing casting her about the God-King’s capital to gather secrets in the dens of rapacious dogs. Her master’s power swelled like the mighty river and even the jagged teeth of the creatures lurking within paid him heed. Upon her master’s moment of ascension summoning Zarburael, the Many Tentacled Beast of the Deep, he had hoped to sacrifice his olive gem, Neketa, as remuneration. Erudite in her vocation of secrets she had scraped a pittance of might from her master’s brow and used it to move a wet rag that was her discarded attire erasing enough of his protective circle allowing a tentacle of jet from the great beyond to grasp and break his neck before dragging his twitching corpse into the swirling amethyst and azure of an otherworldly portal.

Gathering up her master’s collection of scarlet tinged scrolls bound with iron following his demise, she rose as he did with a thought towards mitigating the error of his hubris. She offered words of power to cleanse wounds to the sick and downtrodden until a rebuked barbarian warrior sought revenge for her discriminatory virtue in his wanton desire of her bodily wealth. Proving a challenging foe, she fled under a summoned mist, as if she was, the Bird King, Kratakaw’s chosen. When it had cleared, she found herself in the Impossible City.

Olive skin in Jundarr’s borders was a sign of submission by way of the boy emperor and the God-King’s exchange of gifts. Becoming a hide-bound recluse at the Great Library an assistant librarian plied her friendship with joy filled cups and sanguine words. The pairing proved a profit for the agility of her mind and body. Again, walking amongst the people and regaining her trust for Jundarr’s mercurial mob she befriended another. Together they tread the path to glory seeking the head of a wicked sorcerer. Binding a cohort of brigands to his banner with a coin purse far too light Neketa and her companion overcame the scourge and saw its tails flee under their combined might. Overcoming grievous injuries to her companion with power infused words of the Six Sisters she earned a friend for life.

The victory accumulated more than a thankful friend it acquired a favor from a dangerous southern sorceress that recognized Neketa as a daughter of the Black Spires. The favor born on a thin textile card no bigger than her hand was a mystery as it featured a feminine silhouette on a field of amethyst with a fiery orb buoyant over the figure’s head.

On the word of Akamu Ku, Jundarr's treasure crier extraordinaire, Neketa flirts with the dawn and departure of Jundarr awaiting the crew of the Leilani to bid her aboard.

Last edited by cav; Feb 26th, 2021 at 11:09 AM.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 12:45 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
@TibbyLTP I updated the chart. Let me know once you are done.

@cav Welcome, and thanks for the application. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your background on Neketa. Your writing and use of setting were very well done. I encourage everyone here to read it as well.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 08:49 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
cav cav cav cav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Rain View Post
@cav Welcome, and thanks for the application. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your background on Neketa. Your writing and use of setting were very well done. I encourage everyone here to read it as well.
@Silent Rain, Iím glad you enjoyed it. Iíve always wanted to write an homage to Robert E. Howardís genius of colorful concision. The playbook made for a great writing prompt.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 08:52 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Actually, you hit that right on the head. Robert E. Howard’s work was a large inspiration to Flatland Games when they created this setting.

Last edited by Silent Rain; Feb 27th, 2021 at 12:37 AM.
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 12:12 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 103
TibbyLTP TibbyLTP
I think I am done, might make a few more changes but I would consider complete.

Will add anything that you might want at request though, Silent Rain.

Also, it seems that The Dice Gods decided to me and Cav nearly the exact same rolls on the playbook, lol.