RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 02-26-2020, 07:49 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 64450
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
I've seen the first three seasons of Vikings... It's not too bad, it certainly has some good moments, and some good characters. It's a pleasant diversion.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:41 AM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2524
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalric View Post
I liked The Boys on Amazon a lot. I've read the Graphic Novel it's based on as well and I like what they've done with it. Same for Preacher (also Amazon).
Warning: The TT's here contain spoilers for The Boys.

To be honest, I like it, but I'm a tad concerned that they want to make You know, that literal nazi super?Stormfront a woman? And if they kill Stormfront in a samey way as the novels... I can't think of anyone who wants to see a woman get dogpiled and kicked to **** by three guys and the mighty Love SausageWell, that's not going to give anyone good vibes. I'm also a tad concerned that they might change Butcher's story arc, because he's probably one of my favourite Of how one can easily get sucked in too far into a personal crusade and become self-radicalised.metaphors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
For example I didn’t even finish season 2 of Stranger things for that reason. I am more about fantasy, SiFi or comedy.
The Boys is more aligned with Dark Comedy and does a good back-and-forth unless you read the novels, then it's... Yeah. It's quite grim, Amazon definitely made sure it was jeered up a bit.

As for the OP, I'd strongly suggest Bojack Horseman if you want something that's an unexpected masterpiece. There are very few shows that I want to watch again, but can't emotionally hack to. It starts off feeling like a cheap family-guy wannabe, but after five episodes in it'll hit you with some pretty damning realizations. The writing team was amazing with some A rule where they can only say "****" in a season maximum of 2 times per season.pretty strict rules for their episodes. It's also the only show I've seen (asides from Buffy) to use an episode with less than ten words of dialogue that have an emotional impact. If I was to call any show "Art", it's Bojack Horseman. Though I should warn that it covers a pretty heavy collection of subject matters.

Last edited by Marshmallow; 03-09-2020 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:14 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 384
Delafontaine Delafontaine Delafontaine Delafontaine
If you don't feel like committing to a long series, I recommend Pine Gap, great mini series with plenty of twists and turns.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:28 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10995
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
Nobody has suggested the (completely divorced from the novels after which it's named) Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective agency? Sublime acting. Zaniness. Makes you question what you're watching. Rewards you in the end.

Only two seasons of ten episodes each.

May be too weird for some.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:48 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1590
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziether View Post
Nobody has suggested the (completely divorced from the novels after which it's named) Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective agency? Sublime acting. Zaniness. Makes you question what you're watching. Rewards you in the end.

Only two seasons of ten episodes each.

May be too weird for some.
Now that is really weird. I'm watching Season 1 right now.

But I didn't realise there was a Season 2. I thought it'd got cut after Season 1. I'll have to look around.

But yes... really fun, and ridiculously clever plotting. I can't stress that enough. The skill with which they pull together the plot elements is just mind-boggling.

Edit: Ahh, I see the reason for the discrepancy. I'm watching the 2010 series, with Stephen Mangan in the lead. There was another attempt at dramatizing the series starting in 2016, with Samuel Barnett in the lead role, which is presumably the one you're watching. I haven't watched it. Indeed, I didn't even know of its existence. I'll have to do some research.

Last edited by Telcontar; 04-06-2020 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:48 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcontar View Post
Edit: Ahh, I see the reason for the discrepancy. I'm watching the 2010 series, with Stephen Mangan in the lead. There was another attempt at dramatizing the series starting in 2016, with Samuel Barnett in the lead role, which is presumably the one you're watching. I haven't watched it. Indeed, I didn't even know of its existence. I'll have to do some research.
Indeed. I was unaware of the other.

Elijah Wood is great. Aaron Douglas as the villain is sublime. All the supporting characters mesh beautifully.

And then Alan Tudyk in Season Two. I cannot explain how much that man means to any media franchise.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:52 PM
Worm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1145
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
Oh, in the same vein as DGHDA (Elijawood;droooool) how about Doom Patrol? its DC superheros, but not like you are expecting. Alan Tudyk is the villain.

Oh- also I can't recomend the gripping brittish near-future-dystopia of 'Years And Years' enough. Honestly its a masterpeice as long as you don't mind feeling shitty and pessimistic about the future...

Playing- Sigil Moonchild, Agetha Rhyneheart | DMing- Law of the Jungle

Last edited by Wishkamon; 04-06-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:42 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14476
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Tried revisiting Black Mirror for the new episodes, but given the mood of home quarantine, it was just too depressing. I was never the biggest fan of dystopia fiction in the best of times, so now definitely not.

Better Call Saul is a great show. People say I'm nuts, but I think it is actually better than Breaking Bad. Mike Ehrmantrout might be my favorite TV character of all time.

Archer is probably the funniest TV series I have ever seen, and I personally find its best seasons almost infinitely re-watchable. Not for kids.

Mandalorian was good. Not great. Better than the sequel trilogy, but that's a low bar for me. My kids loved it.

Someone mentioned Good Omens. I enthusiastically second that recommendation. I was sure that the book (perhaps my favorite of all books) would not adapt well, but they did a great job. Sadly it is only five episodes.

Speaking of five episodes, Chernobyl on HBO is one of the best miniseries I ever saw. Not "feel-good" stuff, obviously, but it has its heroes.

I tried Jack Ryan on Amazon... first season was meh. Second season is some of the most unintentionally hilarious stuff I've ever seen, and also a very strange revision of current events. My wife and I enjoyed it by inserting our own Office references. Sorry John Krasinski, but you'll always be Jim Halpert to me. All through A Quiet Place I kept waiting for Dwight to show up and start obnoxiously and intentionally making a lot of noise. Or for Pam to show up and buy you a coke.

Also watching a show called Chuck with my kids. Agreeable network sit-com improved by the presence of Adam Baldwin in a very Jayne-esque role and also the female lead. Probably wouldn't be watching it if the kids weren't into it.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:22 PM
Dim Henchmen of Pang!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12964
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Chuck was really enjoyable. I have mixed feelings on the ending. I enjoyed it, sure. Bittersweet. Worth watching the whole thing.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:34 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unko Talok View Post
Chuck was really enjoyable. I have mixed feelings on the ending. I enjoyed it, sure. Bittersweet. Worth watching the whole thing.
It's one of those shows that requires a certain attitude to watch. You have to be in the mood for that mix of corny humor that it provides. For some reason I'm thinking of shows like Scrubs or Psych in the same vein when it comes to enjoyment.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:13 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14476
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
What's charming about Chuck (apart from Yvonne Strahovsky), is the fact that it took itself so unseriously. When tasked to do Subway product placement, the writers dialed it up to 11 and basically had the characters doing Subway commercials, including the commercial-perfect-lookig sandwiches in their hands. The show could laugh at itself. Scrubs is a good comparison.

The ending was bittersweet, but well done IMO. You just know Morgan was right about the kiss. I have seen far better shows than Chuck give us far inferior finales.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:50 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12436
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
I really liked Chuck way back when, but at one point I just sort of forgot about it and never finished. Hearing about it again now it seems like lockdown might be a really good time to rewatch it, but this time start to finish.