Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 04-26-2020, 06:54 PM
Downers 4th Regiment CO

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6901
sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart
Hey I have a friend on here interested in learning Shadowrun, should I link him to this thread?
Old 04-26-2020, 07:32 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27757
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
They've PMed me and I linked them here, but feel free to do so as well! Maybe hearing from more places will help sell our awesome shadow community

I hope to see all my Shadowrunners there showing RPGX what they're made of!
Old 04-26-2020, 08:32 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1020
Anodyzed Anodyzed Anodyzed Anodyzed Anodyzed Anodyzed Anodyzed Anodyzed
You got that right!
Old 04-26-2020, 09:56 PM
Downers 4th Regiment CO

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6901
sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart
Wonderful. I mentioned to them in our Skype game that you were the person to talk to, Imveros!
Old 06-02-2020, 11:33 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 207
FromAbove FromAbove FromAbove
Hello. Just joined the site recently and after expressing an interest in Shadowrun in my hey-how-are-ya post, Imveros steered me toward this thread. Thought I'd say hello.

Like I think a lot of people, I was first exposed to Shadowrun through a video game (the Genesis game)--specifically, watching my older brother play it. More than twenty years later, I still remember the same older brother having laying around his bedroom a copy of what an image search tells me was the first edition rulebook. Weird how that stuff gets burned into your memory.

I bought a copy of a rulebook around probably 2006/07 and looked into trying to get into an online game, but I wasn't that serious about it and never ended up taking the plunge. I wouldn't start playing any TTRPG until a couple years ago when I was drafted into a D&D 5e campaign.

I'm not really sure why, but cyberpunk stuff generally has a lot of appeal to me. I finished a master's in English in 2013 and wrote my dissertation on portrayals of nationalism in cyberpunk (using Neuromancer, Schimastrix, Snow Crash, Frontera, and to a lesser extent The Windup Girl as my main cyberpunk novels), which might make me a leading posterboy for people with useless academic credentials. The specific pull with Shadowrun for me probably comes from its meld of fantasy and scifi, which is an obvious enough reason.

Anyway, that's about as much self-indulgence as I'll allow myself. Looking forward to hopefully getting into a Shadowrun game at some point, and I'm interested to follow the conversations here with more experienced players.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:49 AM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9776
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Hiya's FromAbove, and welcome to the Shadowrun community on RPX Crossing.

I'm one of those few people who got into Shadowrun here and then went back to playing the old games which are still fun to play and was bumped out that the mmo was canceled just a few months before I came back to the site

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterSun - Fri: NORMAL / Fri & Sat: UNAVAILABLE
Old 06-03-2020, 08:42 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Ah yes, I remember the SNES and Sega games fondly. Have you tried the Shadowrun Returns games by Harebrained Schemes? If you like turn based tactics games you'll love them. The after market missions are also amazing. A few years back someone remade the SNES version in the new system using the campaign creation tools. Bonus points for the three games almost always being on sale!

For me, I like the setting because it is familiar while also being fantastical. That ground in reality makes the fantasy elements pop even more. I also admit that I read all the novels back in highschool as well. Amusingly I read Shadowrun before Neromamcer and I thought it had ripped off Shadowrun...

Oh sweet summer child...

Anyway, I hope you're all getting ready for OutPlay! Runner submissions open in a few days and I hope to see you all there. I know a daily post rate is tough, but even if you can't commit to that you can still cheer your favorite runners on from the sidelines.

This is our chance to show the site at large what Shadowrun is all about and how cool RPGX's shadow community is. Hopefully it'll lead to more games and more players so it's a win win!

Old 06-03-2020, 06:20 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 424
Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem
Hello Chummers, a new shadow runner here in the mix. How y’all doin?
Old 06-03-2020, 06:24 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9776
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Yay! More meat for the grinder!

Welcome Aoem!

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterSun - Fri: NORMAL / Fri & Sat: UNAVAILABLE
Old 06-03-2020, 09:12 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1211
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
Hey Aoem! Been awhile since I saw you back in that 5e game you ran where I was that Silver Dragonborn Paladin. Welcome to the Shadowrun community.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:12 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 278
orichulum orichulum orichulum
anything you can tell us about this upcoming game so we can start brewing characters?
Old 06-03-2020, 11:20 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Round zero goes live tomorrow, you'll find out everything then and have three weeks to bake the best runner you can

Old 06-04-2020, 01:53 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 278
orichulum orichulum orichulum
Oh my. Let's see how many blackbirds we can fit into a pie.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:00 PM
Dragoonies never say die!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1256
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Hoi chummers!

Chip truth I'm a meganoob and character creation is still a bit intimidating. I've come across the chummer tool, it seems pretty wiz. Is it? Or is it frowned upon or seen as a crutch? By no means am I really looking to min-max just afraid of gimping myself.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:25 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1020
Anodyzed Anodyzed Anodyzed Anodyzed Anodyzed Anodyzed Anodyzed Anodyzed
I'm by no means an expert, or even an accomplished novice in building my characters, but the way I look at it, the game itself gives the best answer to your question: Would a runner pass up an opportunity to get a leg up just to be able to brag he did it the 'old fashioned way'? Isn't that the purpose of the enhancements, after all, to ease the burdens?
I'm all for it!
And I use Hero Lab. And it does help me understand a bit.