Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 04-01-2019, 08:05 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27757
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Evening fellow runners,

I don't have any news to report, but I do have a post I'd like to bring to your attention!

Here is a chummer looking for some advice for another possible game on the site. I've given my 2 and I'm sure they'd love to hear from you all as well.

Thanks everybody!

I hope to see all my Shadowrunners there showing RPGX what they're made of!
Old 04-03-2019, 11:30 PM
Ailurophile

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1896
auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie
So, the idea I had that really would belong here - and now that I think of it, I could "know" the concept and still enjoy it - is this:

Mole hunt.

All the players have a Fixer contact in common that they've worked with before. This Fixer has a deep Contact inside [Corporation 1], and has recently made some serious money trading on that information. Each player was involved in at least one of those jobs. The jobs resulted in a huge amount of paydata being intercepted and sold to [Corporation 2]. High profile runs, with clean getaways. Good work all around.

But the Fixer has been burned. SOMEONE tipped off Mr. Johnson at [Corporation 1] that there is a leak. The information flow has stopped cold, and now the Contact needs an extraction.

The Fixer has rounded up everyone that was involved in the recent jobs against [Corporation 1] for the extraction... knowing, frankly, that one of them -- ONE OF THE PLAYERS -- is the Mole.

The Fixer tells everyone that they have two mission goals: 1) extract the Fixer's contact; 2) identify the Mole and bring him/her back to the Fixer - bonus if still alive.

So far, the Fixer has stayed hidden and communicated with the players in virtual. Extraction or no extraction, the Fixer knows that he's Mr. Johnson's main target - so it is absolutely vital that the players figure out who the Mole is. If they get the wrong Mole, the Fixer will be exposed and as good as dead... and then, most likely, nobody gets paid.

Each application must include what kind of leverage it would take for that character to be the Mole. One character is selected by the GM to be the Mole. Only that character, and the GM, know who it is. (Or maybe there's no Mole after all, and the Fixer is just dead wrong - but can you take that chance?)

Let the Hunt begin...
Frankly, I do NOT think I have the mental resources or game-running chops to make this happen. I offer it here in the hope that someone does.

Last edited by auntmousie; 04-03-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:38 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3258
RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja
Since Imveros linked the Interest Check thread, I thought I'd post this here for suggestions. This is the game recruitment post I worked up for the alien invasion campaign. Is there anything missing or confusing? Are there obvious questions I haven't answered? Do you feel like the tone and style of the campaign is clear?

Set-UpIt's amazing how quickly the world can be turned upside-down. If anybody knew the attack was coming, they didn't say anything. One minute you were shopping, and the next, everyone froze in place as their AR feeds were filled with live videos of some kind of pods dropping from the sky. Missile defense systems streaked from the ground, destroying a few, and a great dragon appeared, ripping several from the air before falling victim to a sickly green ray from above the clouds.

Within an hour, every AAA corporation and world government had capitulated. Life soon returned to something like normal, but alien soldiers patrolled the streets, never letting you forget who your new masters were. The world leaders call it a partnership, but they have to, right? And you hear stories of people disappearing. Top researchers being reassigned, then never heard from again. SINless being herded into camps for slave labor, or worse. People whisper about their plans, but no one knows for sure. Maybe you never will.

But there are some who resist. Soldiers, criminals, or even regular people who lost too much. They strike back, trying to even the odds, but it's a costly fight. You need to know more, get your hands on their equipment, maybe even their officers.

Looks like you've just become a Shadowrunner, chummer.

Notes
right-aligned image
Welcome to my next game! In this campaign, the players will be thrust into the role of resistance fighters against an alien occupation in Seattle. The game will start in the heat of the initial invasion, but it will quickly turn to a more traditional espionage-focused Shadowrun game. Some notes on how this will affect things:
  • The aliens will take over a lot of existing Earth infrastructure, and make extensive use of metahuman collaborators, so the regular social skills, decking, etc. will still be very relevant.
  • There will be chances to acquire alien technology/magical goods/dead bodies, and you may be cut off from regular goods and services, so some of the "downtime" skills (Medicine, Arcana, Hardware, Armorer, Chemistry, etc.) may turn out to be more relevant than usual.
  • Your characters may not even be Shadowunners to start. You could be gangers, wageslaves, Yakuza lieutenants, spec ops soldiers, corporate execs, etc., as long as your character would step up and join the resistance.
  • Contacts will be assumed to survive the initial attack. But be careful how much you tell them. Who knows where their loyalties lie?
  • After the invasion, gear acquisition will work more or less normally, but availability may be increased, and lots of Restricted gear may become Forbidden, as the aliens crack down on armed resistance. High-availability gear may require entire runs to acquire.
  • Application Deadline: April 22

ApplicationCharacter Creation
Standard Priority, Sum-to-Ten, or Karma
Life modules may be accepted on a case-by-case basis, but I'll probably want to see the build in detail.

Name:
Metatype:
Archetype: Street Sam, Face, Infiltrator, etc.
Current Job: Are you a Shadowrunner, wageslave, soldier, etc.?
Physical Description:
Personality/Background:
Qualities: Some qualities (especially ones about contacts and relationships, like Dependent) might be pointless or overpowered in this context. Let me know if you have any key qualities that may need to be re-evaluated.
What are you doing?: All players will start out at Lordstrung's Department Store, one of the public entrances to the Ork Underground, when the invasion hits. What are you doing there? Maybe you're a wageslave doing a little shopping, or a Shadowrunner on a job. Maybe you're a Skraacha ganger on patrol, or part of a DocWagon crew on a call.
Role-play Sample: Either a short passage describing your character using a key skill, or a link to a post you're proud of from another game.

Last edited by RainyDayNinja; 04-05-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:07 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
@Auntmousie

I like the idea, my only fear is that PvP tends to end poorly. Not to mention if all the other players KNOW one of them is a mole, they may start using meta knowledge to figure out who. The game may even stall out as everyone is too afraid to take action last they alert the mole. Player selection would be critical!

That said, I'd love that kind of game. Especially if I were the mole it would he great to convince everyone someone else was! I love me some are you a werewolf!

Another issue is say I trick the team into thinking another runner is the mole, what happens to that player for the rest of the session while they are tied up in the trunk while we rescued the target?

Unless everyone is the mole!

I like the idea, it would just take expert precision to run and players who refuse to metagame no matter the cost!

@RainyDay

Everything makes sense and looks good, though I was secretly hoping for prime runner action

From a mechanical standpoint I'd like to know a little more about gear changes (availability/Forbidden) as that could impact gear heavy runners.

You may also want to include bans on metasapients/infected unless you aren't. War does make for strange bedfellows. Runners are less worried about ghoul infection when little green men are walking the streets.

Imveros would also like a picture or a description of the aliens! That way we can make up slurs and talk smack in our applications

Old 04-04-2019, 09:43 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3258
RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imveros View Post
@RainyDay

Everything makes sense and looks good, though I was secretly hoping for prime runner action

From a mechanical standpoint I'd like to know a little more about gear changes (availability/Forbidden) as that could impact gear heavy runners.

You may also want to include bans on metasapients/infected unless you aren't. War does make for strange bedfellows. Runners are less worried about ghoul infection when little green men are walking the streets.

Imveros would also like a picture or a description of the aliens! That way we can make up slurs and talk smack in our applications
I really wanted to give non-shadowrunners a chance to get involved, and I don't think Prime-level civilians makes much sense...

Maybe I should have been clearer on the gear. I only meant the availability would increase post-gen, as the alien overlords crack down on the resistance via gun control, etc.

I don't want to ban "snowflake" characters like that in case someone has a cool concept, but I'd definitely be hesitant to accept a total cheesefest application.

Ooh, good point! I want an alien I can find plenty of good pictures of. I was thinking maybe using the Chitauri from the Avengers movie, but there's not a lot of variety in the pictures (and not a lot of tech or ships to go with them).
Old 04-05-2019, 10:33 AM
???%

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15578
AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyDayNinja View Post
Maybe I should have been clearer on the gear. I only meant the availability would increase post-gen, as the alien overlords crack down on the resistance via gun control, etc.
Just mechanically speaking, that may still tilt the balance in favor of Awakened or Emerged characters more than you're anticipating. While most deckers won't ever be upgrading their decks, any hardware- and 'ware-heavy PC will likely be feeling the crunch oh higher availability, unless you have a fully dedicated face to whom it wouldn't matter either way. A mundane decker's reliance on cyberware, bioware, and other assorted tools will have a harder time progressing compared to an awakened decker grabbing a few Initiations, spells, or mastery qualities, which is largely unaffected by the availability changes.

This can be counteracted by whatever gear the PCs salvage from the aliens of course, but that may be tricky to work with. If you're looking for some example 'alien'-y gear, though, Street Lethal has things like gravity manipulating grenades and stuff like that, which is pretty cool.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:58 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14526
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Quote:
Group 1) People who have heard of Shadowrun.

What would it take to get you to take the leap and give Shadowrun 5e a shot?
This is me. I read through the Shadowrun 1E rules WAY back 20+ years ago when my brother got them. I thought they looked intriguing, but at the time was not really playing much RPG. Flash forward to today, I'm primarily a PF player, but since last year I have been experimenting with other games and I keep one of my game slots open for the "other" category. Currently that "other" slot is filled by a Call of Cthulhu game. Shadowrun falls into the "other" category of games I've never played but would like to try. For me to give Shadowrun 5E a shot, I would require the following:

1) For my Call of Cthulhu game to wrap up -- just to keep my commitments manageable. I expect the CoC game to finish up maybe by summer, probably by fall.

2) Access to the Shadowrun 5E rules on line. I'm not looking to drop money on hardcopy rules for a new system right now. CoC had an on-line rules overview that was incomplete, but enough for character creation and to play as a player. The Shadowrun 5E rules being on-line--even if it was just a basic player version like CoC has--would be a must. If I liked the game, then I might invest in buying the rules.

3) A game that looked interesting to me by a GM who looked like they knew what they were doing and whose style I liked. Not necessary, but something that would further encourage me, would be a GM who openly welcomed players who were new to the game.

4) The scope of the game is not on the scale of Paizo-Adventure Path Level 1-20. If I like the game okay, but am not crazy about it, I don't want to commit to a years-upon-years length game. Case in point CoC: I like the game but I don't love it. I can enjoy it for a year or two on a single adventure, but it isn't a game I want to play really long term. Glad I gave it a try, and might even play another short adventure in the future, but when my current game ends I'll be ready for a break.

The other two requirements for me to try a new system are already met by Shadowrun: 1) it's a genre/setting I'd be interested in; 2) there's a good fan presence on the site, obviously.

Last edited by ruffdove; 04-05-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:25 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12536
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdove View Post
2) Access to the Shadowrun 5E rules on line. I'm not looking to drop money on hardcopy rules for a new system right now. CoC had an on-line rules overview that was incomplete, but enough for character creation and to play as a player. The Shadowrun 5E rules being on-line--even if it was just a basic player version like CoC has--would be a must. If I liked the game, then I might invest in buying the rules.
Have you had a little look at the quickstart rules that Imveros has in their signature? I was just wondering whether that would be enough for you to try out a game, because it does detail most of the mechanics that one needs to play, but not enough to create a character from scratch (without third party software like the "Chummer" character generator). Setting details are mostly available through the wiki, and there are a few "cheat sheets" that sum up mechanics even more floating around, but as far as official material from the games makers that's it as far as I am aware. Of course it would necessitate somebody helping you with chargen or handing you a pregenerated character, but if that happens I mean.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:49 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Since Imveros linked the Interest Check thread, I thought I'd post this here for suggestions.
BTW, that's what I've always intended for this space to be, a place to grow the brand as it were. What better way to grow the brand than spit balling new games?!

@RuffDove

Thanks for chiming in!

1) Don't worry, Shadowrun will be waiting for you when CoC is over. We've been averaging a new game every month and a half to two months for awhile now. Not to mention refilling existing games!

2) What Phettberg said! I have the only freely available rules for SR in my signature. It has 90% of what you need to play a full game. Using the pre gens listed there, I think you could get the hang of Chummer 5a as long as you stuck to basic roles (face/Sam/adept) and I've yet to see a game ad that didn't offer to bring newbies up to speed if you had your heart set on a different role. I helped build our first Decker's runner and I taught him the matrix rules as we played.

Just find a good hook and go from there!

3) Hard to offer advice here. The best we can do is keep the community growing and the GMs coming and something will speak to you.

As mentioned above, most GMs I've seen are willing to help. I'm also trying to get a tutorial game off the ground, but I've had some pretty serious writer's block lately. On the plus side my wife is happy because when I feel guilty about it I do projects around the house...

4) That's the beauty of Shadowrun, it's inherently episodic. Runners get hired by Mr. Johnson, don't want to go on the next run? Mr J hires someone else. Only high end stabled runners work in rigid teams run after run.

So stick around for the 6-8 months a run usually takes, then find another other, 6-8 later, hop back in for round 3

It worked great when I ran Pugs at the LGS!

Old 04-05-2019, 02:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14526
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
In general, yeah, that's the kind of thing I would look for... except it's awfully lacking in character creation, which is kind of important. The CoC basic rules allowed for full character creation, though it's mechanically a simpler process in CoC I think. A GM would probably need to help me out a little.

EDIT: @Imveros - sounds good. When CoC wraps up I'll start looking into the Shadowrun games. Thanks!

Last edited by ruffdove; 04-05-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:30 PM
???%

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15578
AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli
Shadowrun has an application that helps put together a character (Chummer), but unfortunately, it does not actually discuss what the various options mean. That you won't find much on though, as that is all pretty locked down content if it's not in the rules Imveros has linked.

Shadowrun's character creation is also some of the more intensive, so there's not really an easy way to bring that down to a freely available version.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:59 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 412
OldeHob OldeHob OldeHob OldeHob OldeHob
I am very seriously considering doing Shadowrun when I have some project time free. I have played it and ran it before (though back in the 3rd ed). I have followed 4th and 5th as they have come out. Really for me it is a matter of time.

As for playing, oddly I have pretty small interest. I like to run more than play. But I know sometime in the next year a PbP Shadowrun is something I will be doing.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:42 PM
Ailurophile

Tools
User Statistics
auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie
Quote:
@Auntmousie

I like the idea, my only fear is that PvP tends to end poorly. Not to mention if all the other players KNOW one of them is a mole, they may start using meta knowledge to figure out who. The game may even stall out as everyone is too afraid to take action last they alert the mole. Player selection would be critical!

That said, I'd love that kind of game. Especially if I were the mole it would he great to convince everyone someone else was! I love me some are you a werewolf!

Another issue is say I trick the team into thinking another runner is the mole, what happens to that player for the rest of the session while they are tied up in the trunk while we rescued the target?

Unless everyone is the mole!

I like the idea, it would just take expert precision to run and players who refuse to metagame no matter the cost!
See, that's why I figured you'd need a forum like this. In a live session it would be almost impossible not to tip off the players... but asynchronous communication allows the mole to have a back channel with the GM.

The game is basically "over" for anyone who gets hogtied and stuffed in the trunk... that is an issue to be pondered. It's not a fully fleshed out idea.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:02 PM
Ailurophile

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
This is the game recruitment post I worked up for the alien invasion campaign. Is there anything missing or confusing? Are there obvious questions I haven't answered? Do you feel like the tone and style of the campaign is clear?
I feel like the only questions I have are "when am I gonna find time to work up a character?" and "where is this ad so I can express interest?"
Old 04-08-2019, 02:08 AM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9776
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Since this is becoming an idea thread for Shadowrun games, I'll post an idea I've had for about a month now. It is loosely based off an old B rated Nicolas Cage movie that I can't remember the name too. It wasn't that good, but the basics of the film were interesting enough for it to stick in my brain all these years. Basic move plotline: Crime boss put everyone that wronged him in a newly constructed prison, and told them, "The last one alive gets to go free."

Shadowrun game version:
  • Everyone wakes up in a cell in a newly built but unpopulated supermax prison.
  • Lofwer's image appears on a monitor outside everyone's cell and basically says the same thing that the crime boss from the movie said, except it's the last four people alive that get to go free. <unsure, but thinking about having the four survivors fight a dragon(or some other baddie) at the end to get out alive. Dragons are deceptive after all >
  • Each player would come up with a reason for Lofwer's dislike of them.
  • Everyone would have their gear, including drones that could fit through doors.
  • There would be three level's where a max of 20 players would be randomly placed. There would be plenty of empty cells in between each player.
  • The place would also be shielded from magic, so no astral projecting through walls. (Would summoning still work?)
  • If there was not at least 10 players, add a few NPC's. Nosy news reporter, someone running for mayor that Lofwer does not like, girlfriend(Hay! You never know!), etc.
  • The gameplay would be Prime Runner Play. You pissed off Lofwer and was singled out for cruel and unusual punishment after all. Your no street punk.
  • No real background would be necessary. Just a personality and maybe the characters core values.

A few problems with this idea:
  • Until the ranks got thinned enough, it might be too much for just one DM to handle.
  • Each player's character sheet and actions would have to be in secret text to prevent Metagaming. Even by accident. <I was planning on changing all the hidden posts/threads to public access as the people die out(or drop). And as people group up/encounter each other, they would be shunted to a separate thread. Thinking of merging threads as needed.>
  • It is highly combat orientated. Though in the long run, this game would not be too long even if it is all combat actions. The DM(s) would need to have a firm grasp of all aspects of combat for Shadowrun.
  • The place would be a Matrix dead zone, except for the security station where the facility is set up to be rigged. So that would discourage Deckers and Technomancers from applying, but there would be plenty of gear the other players had for them to hack.
  • Time dilation. Each post would have to have a specific time stamp and some people will always post faster then others. Their can be catch-up posts I suppose but that won't work all the time.
  • There are probably more problems with this idea, but I can't think of any more right now.

'Well, there is my idea. I put it here for anyone to use. I do not have the experience in the mechanics of combat for Shadowrun, nor the confidence, to run the game.'

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterSun - Fri: NORMAL / Fri & Sat: UNAVAILABLE

Last edited by Silk; 04-08-2019 at 02:12 AM.