: +

Notices

Old May 3rd, 2019, 08:51 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 876
LtTibbles LtTibbles LtTibbles LtTibbles LtTibbles LtTibbles LtTibbles
I was so surprised to hear about 6th edition coming out so soon, I know 5e has had a fair amount of criticism thrown it's way but this seems pretty sudden. I wonder if when Catalyst Labs say that it will be streamlined they're talking about incorporating some things from Anarchy? I'm really interested to see what they do, hopefully they fix those proofreading problems this time around.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 09:41 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34810
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
It's really not that soon. Here's a quote from the guy that started their con missions and the various seasons of pre gens

Though I will say that I was hoping for a 30th anniversary edition of 5e. Something like the 20th anniversary edition or like D&D 3.5.

But I'm hopeful that the changes to initiative and the nerfs to magic will bring things back to center. Though I do want to know more about my poor poor technomancers. I hope 6e is kind to them
Old May 4th, 2019, 11:28 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
If anyone is interested in seeing some of the changes for 6e here's a Google doc that has some of the changes that were mentioned in interviews/podcasts as well as links to those various interviews.

Old May 4th, 2019, 11:42 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16527
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Very interesting document, thanks for that! Still holding any judgement until I see the new core - but it's nice to get a peek at what's probably coming.
Old May 4th, 2019, 01:10 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4412
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Honestly, so long as they don't mess around with the thematics of the universe, they can do whatever they want with 6th edition, IMO. I'll just go back to 5E if I don't like what's in 6E.

Last edited by Marshmallow; May 4th, 2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old May 12th, 2019, 10:14 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3994
RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja
FYI, the decker in one of my games has disappeared. If anyone's interested, I've bumped the recruitment post.

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthread.php?t=186526
Old May 12th, 2019, 04:56 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16527
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
I also finally got my game ad going (with a long deadline though, since I'll be gone for two weeks) here. I included a nudge towards Rainys rerecruit.
Old May 28th, 2019, 07:56 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Has anyone been keeping up with the 6th edition news CGL has been releasing? I just got done reading this blogpostand it sounds like there are some major changes coming. Now granted I'm not very well versed with the 5th edition rules so I can't really give an opinion if these sound good or bad, I do like the idea of 6th edition trying to streamline the mechanics for faster gameplay but reading that the skill list has been narrowed from 80 skills to 19 skills is quite alarming to see at first.

Last edited by LtTibbles; May 28th, 2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old May 28th, 2019, 10:03 PM
YEET THE L33T

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17358
AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli
6th Edition is making a lot of significant changes, yes. However, a lot of the things they’ve said so far have significant portions of forum-goers concerned - Catalyst does not have the greatest track record of balanced, well thought out rules or changes, and a lot of what they’ve revealed so far appears to be in line with that. We’ll see, of course, but I personally am not holding my breath.

Welcome! Everything is fine.
Old May 29th, 2019, 09:25 AM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4412
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Honestly, one concern I'm hearing from guys I used to play with is with the removal of limitations on Magic... It's already a case of geeking the mage before the slimy bastard has a chance to throw a meteor at you, are we going to have to just hard-focus magic users more now? Or is there a new limitation/drain-esque mechanic in place to keep Mages from just going Rambo?
Old May 29th, 2019, 10:10 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja
Certainly from the perspective of Play-by-Post, the new Edge mechanic sounds like hell to run. Now all of the GM's rolls are only tentative, as the PCs have multiple ways to spend Edge to affect them retroactively.
Old May 29th, 2019, 11:37 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
On an unrelated note, I recently learned about "West Marches" campaigns. I'd heard of them, but always assumed it was a specific setting, and didn't pay any attention. Now that I've read about how they work, I have this urge to turn my alien invasion game into a West Marches-style campaign. I feel like the invasion set-up would be a lot more conducive to that playstyle than standard Shadowrun (the "landscape" of Seattle has drastically changed suddenly and demands recon, and the players have a strong overall plot hook, while having the freedom to set their own short-term goals.

Anybody else think this could work? Obviously, it would require some co-DMs and a lot of coordination.
Old May 29th, 2019, 01:41 PM
YEET THE L33T

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17358
AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli
Shadowrun’s intensive character creation would likely drag down the pace and potentially the investment of a West Marches style game. You may be able to pull it off with a much more faster, smoother SR hack? I hear good things about Karma in the Dark, which might help

Welcome! Everything is fine.
Old May 29th, 2019, 01:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34810
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
As of right now, I'm hesitant about Sixth's changes. All of the playtesters I've spoken to have said that Editing, Layout, and playtesting are all just as garbage as they've always been. Though I'll admit that I'll still probably buy it day one anyway as I'm a huge corporate tool and have never been able to say no to anything Shadowrun related. I still have my can of Dragon Piss Energy Drink around here somewhere that I got at a GenCon awhile back XD

As for west marches,

Someone tried to get a west marches type SR game off the ground, but he just didn't have the support and ended up ghosting one day. It's an interesting concept, but it would take a lot of careful planning and coordination to pull off right.

One way to mitigate the complication and buy-in from character creation would be to use pre-gens. You're more than welcome to use my pre-gens from that training game I'll get off the ground one of these days. In fact, a west marches game would be a perfect gift shop for that intro game to exit into, but Ghost only knows when I'll have the time to keep up with my games AND plan out a new one :'(
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 09:45 AM
Vökva Reykur

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6326
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs
Newbie here!

I came for the NPSG for Shadowrun! Where do I sign up?!

My only source for familiarity on this game is from the video games (Hong Kong and Dragon something?) that I tried playing many years ago but didn't get to finish. I loved the gritty dystopian feel of it plus the twist on dragons/fantasy lore so I was very interested. Unfortunately I think as a tabletop RPG it's pretty overwhelming to learn. A friend of mine has 5th Ed I think (or something earlier) and I read through the quick start guide before but I didn't feel confident enough to begin playing or even create a character. An NPSG or even maybe a West Marches rules-lite type of game might just make me delve deeper in the shadows!

Last edited by DanshiiWithWulfs; Jun 1st, 2019 at 09:47 AM.