Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 06-01-2019, 09:36 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27757
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
The Shadowrun tutorial game stalled out in beta test due to scheduling difficulty :/

With any luck, the wheels will start turning on that in a few more weeks. Until then, feel free to look at what I've already done

As for the game itself, it's very front heavy. Runner generation is 80% of the work. Thankfully, PbP gives you plenty of time to double check rules and plan out your actions. Come up with a cool runner concept and then either snag a pre gen, use a character creation program like Chummer5, or ask one of us to help you bring your creation to life.

Shadowrun is a harsh mistress, buy I love her all the same

I hope to see all my Shadowrunners there showing RPGX what they're made of!
Old 06-01-2019, 11:05 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 170
Scoops Scoops
I'm so happy that in the first 24 hours of showing up someone's already stolen me away for Shadowrun! Lemme tell ya'll a bit about me: I've been playing Shadowrun for about 16 years now, mostly 3rd and 4th editions, and I'm absolutely in love with it. Unfortunately, I don't know much about 5th edition, and with 6th edition being right around the corner I'm at a loss as far as rules go. Luckily, I've still got my love of the lore, so while I probably won't be running anything anytime soon (Unless people are more forgiving about lack of rules knowledge in exchange for a damn fine story) I would love to get into a game in any way I can.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:38 AM
???%

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15578
AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli
If Fifth Edition was anything to go by, it may take a bit for Sixth Edition to settle out a bit. And depending on your preferred archetype, it may not really be all that viable or interesting for years.

There's some free option resources out there for SR5 though, which can be useful. I'm not sure if there's anything that covers fully creating a PC or running the game though, unfortunately.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:41 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 170
Scoops Scoops
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeEli View Post
If Fifth Edition was anything to go by, it may take a bit for Sixth Edition to settle out a bit. And depending on your preferred archetype, it may not really be all that viable or interesting for years.

There's some free option resources out there for SR5 though, which can be useful. I'm not sure if there's anything that covers fully creating a PC or running the game though, unfortunately.
Do you guys mostly play 5th edition then? I can pick up a copy of the core book if I need to.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:03 PM
???%

Tools
User Statistics
AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli
Primarily 5th Ed, although games have cropped up sporadically for previous editions in the past. The two primary books for SR5 are the core book and Run & Gun, although you can probably get the most important options from R&G online.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:44 AM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2524
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
If you want more CC options, Chrome Flesh & Run Faster are pretty good ones to pick up too.

Quote:
I'm not sure if there's anything that covers fully creating a PC or running the game though, unfortunately.
Chummer covers creating Player Characters and allows you to toggle on/off whichever books you'd like to have in the process, it also provides charts to help manage your spending (both Karma and Nuyen) history, as well as helping keep you in line with what rules 5th Ed has.

Last edited by Marshmallow; 06-05-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:55 PM
???%

Tools
User Statistics
Chummer handles the process, but it has none of the information about how to go through the character creation process or what many of the options do. For completely new players you still largely want the core book for the former, even if SR5 does a somewhat poor job of explaining it as well.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:34 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Aye, but that's kind of the point in Chummer isn't it? It's just there to help with the process, not be a replacement for the books.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:47 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 392
Nstol Nstol Nstol Nstol
Hello everyone!

Quote:
Yea, I'm thinking the same. But I am also thinking that Sixth World has turned a corner and will appeal to a wider audience. The way D&D did with 5e......

The Matrix rules in 5th edition were a step up in many ways.
Yes, they did cut the tails of many a 4th edition matrix game and did not really come into their own until the Foundation and AI rules came out. I'm wondering how Sixth World will use that.

[edit]
Oh ,and did anyone else really cringe when Android: Netrunner was discontunued? Did anyone see the potential of it in a Shadowrun matrix run?

Last edited by Nstol; 06-12-2019 at 07:55 AM. Reason: amend thought
Old 06-13-2019, 03:00 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
Do we know what's happening with Magic in the 6th edition yet? I know they were removing force, which concerns me, but I'm curious if they're actually going to implement another mechanic to stop mages from just going bonkers.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:15 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Nstol Nstol Nstol Nstol
I expect A mechanic like the simple and complex actions being changed which is now to minor/major actions (I think) will fix that.
Every class will notice changes like that I suspect. In other words if you want a more power casting spend more time casting it.

Should a new thread be started just for 6th?

Last edited by Nstol; 06-14-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:54 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9776
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nstol View Post
I expect A mechanic like the simple and complex actions being changed which is now to minor/major actions (I think) will fix that.
Every class will notice changes like that I suspect. In other words if you want a more power casting spend more time casting it.

Should a new thread be started just for 6th?
That could work as a balancing feature for magic. Cast faster = less power. Cast longer = Big Boom!
Maybe also add in an Interrupt Action that could cause anyone to interrupt the Complex Action of casting the Big Boom spell. (I'd say this should be limited).

But it's all speculation at this point I guess.

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterSun - Fri: NORMAL / Fri & Sat: UNAVAILABLE
Old 06-17-2019, 07:29 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Nstol Nstol Nstol Nstol
And a good point.
I'll respond to this in the Shadowrun: Sixth World thread.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:47 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27757
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Evening chummers, I hope all your runs have been milk runs lately.

I just wanted to touch base with everyone and see if anything was in the works, of anyone needed help with anything, or if anyone has any ideas to share!

I'm about to go on a big shill offensive to drum up new members for the crossing, and it's always helpful to have something juicy to dangle when I got up my Shadowrun pages

Thanks everyone!

"Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon." -Street Proverb

I hope to see all my Shadowrunners there showing RPGX what they're made of!
Old 07-17-2019, 10:42 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9776
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
While I have thrown around the idea of DMing another Shadowrun game I have decided I have enough work with the one I'm DMing at the moment and decided I will DM only one Shadowrun game at a time.

I am however thinking about DMing a D20 Modern Fallout(ish) type game in a few months. But I'm still hesitant to do so even though I have a much better understanding of D20 Modern than Shadowrun 5e

Good luck drumming up support for Shadowrun

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterSun - Fri: NORMAL / Fri & Sat: UNAVAILABLE