Notices

Old 02-10-2020, 02:47 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37286
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
What to Watch

Just getting out of disc compression surgery, Looking for ideas on things to watch.
We have NextFlix, Amazon, HBO and Hulu.

Watched the Mandelorian, also watched the Last Kingdom, which is the genre I like. Any suggestions?

LIST
Breaking Bad (from another thread) - I know, insane I have not watched it yet.
The Witcher
The Expanse
The Boys (but dark)
Carnival Row (dark)
Man in a High Castle (dark)
Never where

Last edited by Squeak; 02-10-2020 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27757
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Seen the Witcher yet? Gotta pay attention but it's great! (Netflix)

The Magicians is trashy fun, it's basically Narnia Harry Potter fan fiction and they say ****! (Netflix)

The Expanse was the last show I hardcore binged. It's one of the most scientifically accurate SciFi shows I've seen (Amazon)

Pretty much all I use Hulu for is anime. I've got plenty of recommendations if that's your thing.

Oh oh the Good Place just ended. You can watch the first several seasons on Netflix and the most recent one on Hulu.

Good luck healing up!

Last edited by Imveros; 02-10-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:03 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
Adding the Witcher, Magician and The Expanse, even if it is just for an episode to see if i like it.

I have not seen the Witcher yet. Is it like the game? i didn’t like the story during the game.
Seen the Good Place.

Not listed but I also have been saving the Irishman for the recovery, so i have 3 hours of stuff to watch.

Last edited by Squeak; 02-10-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:28 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27757
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
The Witcher is based off of the books not the games. I will also say that the first 10min of the first episode is the worst part of the entire season, I promise it's worth powering through!
Old 02-10-2020, 03:54 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 845
Thalric Thalric Thalric Thalric Thalric Thalric Thalric
I liked The Boys on Amazon a lot. I've read the Graphic Novel it's based on as well and I like what they've done with it. Same for Preacher (also Amazon).

Completely different but fun and wholesome I would recommend Queer Eye or Next in Fashion on Netflix. My girlfriend and I enjoyed both.

Since it's very recent for me, last but not least I'd recommend Bojack Horseman (Netflix), which just released its series finale. What depressing and amazing show that was. There were so many good and heartbreaking moments.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:02 PM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 43193
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
The Boys (Prime) was rude crude and violent, but also kinda epic. It's a "what if the superheroes weren't actually all that good" sort of show.

Carnival Row (Prime) is very good, but I've only seen the first few episodes, I don't know how dark it may get. It's an industrial age England-like country with refugees from the Fairy Realm that got invaded by evil types. Got some caste issues, fantasy, gritty... but it's also got an investigation aspect as they try to figure out what's wrong. One main character is a detective, so he does get called to unpleasantly gory scenes of crimes, if that's not your thing...

I also really enjoyed the first season of Man in the High Castle, but I haven't gotten around to the rest of the show yet.

A lot of what I watch borders on really dark, I guess, since the other thing I have been watching lately [again] is the Hannibal TV miniseries. Three seasons of more involved plot than what happened in the movies, supposed to be closer to the original characters.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:34 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalric View Post
I liked The Boys on Amazon a lot. I've read the Graphic Novel it's based on as well and I like what they've done with it. Same for Preacher (also Amazon).

Completely different but fun and wholesome I would recommend Queer Eye or Next in Fashion on Netflix. My girlfriend and I enjoyed both.

Since it's very recent for me, last but not least I'd recommend Bojack Horseman (Netflix), which just released its series finale. What depressing and amazing show that was. There were so many good and heartbreaking moments.
Thanks Thal. Will add The Boys to the list, although I will make sure my wife isn’t around when I do.
Seen all of the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethera View Post
The Boys (Prime) was rude crude and violent, but also kinda epic. It's a "what if the superheroes weren't actually all that good" sort of show.

Carnival Row (Prime) is very good, but I've only seen the first few episodes, I don't know how dark it may get. It's an industrial age England-like country with refugees from the Fairy Realm that got invaded by evil types. Got some caste issues, fantasy, gritty... but it's also got an investigation aspect as they try to figure out what's wrong. One main character is a detective, so he does get called to unpleasantly gory scenes of crimes, if that's not your thing...

I also really enjoyed the first season of Man in the High Castle, but I haven't gotten around to the rest of the show yet.

A lot of what I watch borders on really dark, I guess, since the other thing I have been watching lately [again] is the Hannibal TV miniseries. Three seasons of more involved plot than what happened in the movies, supposed to be closer to the original characters.
Thanks Aeth... Not really a ‘dark’ fan, it i can give them an episode or two.

For example I didn’t even finish season 2 of Stranger things for that reason. I am more about fantasy, SiFi or comedy.

Last edited by Squeak; 02-10-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:15 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 64450
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
American Horror Story, Freak Show.

It's weird, it's funny, and it's depressing, when you realize how much it mirrored the US back in the past, and how much it mirrors the US today, still.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:17 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Also, American Horror Story, Roanoke..

It starts slow, and you kind of wonder "what is this? Why am I watching this? What a waste of my tim..." and then, right at the mid season mark, they do a surprise, and it ends up totally awesome and delightful, and you are shocked and laughing and happy you watched it to the twist. Then, it just gets better.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:42 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
I’m not a fan of dark stuff though... Not a horror fan or anything similar — even stopped watching Stranger Things after Barb got her past-due recognition. Did not even like the Resident Evil game.

Based on the name, those shows sound pretty dark — are they?

Last edited by Squeak; 02-10-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:53 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1590
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
I recommend the following, if you haven't already seen them:
Neverwhere (Amazon). Brilliant low budget BBC adaptation of one of Neil Gaiman's best books.
The Expanse (Amazon). Not quite the show I thought (hoped?) it was going to be, but brilliant nevertheless. Really good third season.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:08 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
Im not a fan of dark stuff though... Not a horror fan or anything similar even stopped watching Stranger Things after Barb got her past-due recognition. Did not even like the Resident Evil game.

Based on the name, those shows sound pretty dark are they?
They are dark like a slasher movie... but not dark like Silence of the Lambs.

Have you seen White Collar? it's a fun little series to watch.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:28 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
thanks Telc.

Dirk - I have seen White Collar. It was OK, but Crime Dramas are not my fav.

Last edited by Squeak; 02-10-2020 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:33 AM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
lol... never thought of White Collar as a Crime Drama before...

You are a tough man to suggest shows for...

Arrested Development
Drunk History
Extras
Old 02-11-2020, 08:06 AM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
I might have mixed up White Collar with another show then.

And OMG, we agree on something!!! Drunk History is the best show in the history of ever.