Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37286
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
Covid-19 aka CoronaVirus

CORONOAVIRUS RUNNING STATS

COMPARE TO OTHER EPIDEMICS IN THE 21ST CENTURY

I just thought I'd see what other people are experiencing as a result of the Coronavirus.

On my end, here is how it has affected me/my family
* Cancelled some which were limited anyway, since I just had surgerydomestic travel plans
* Postponed international travel plans (China trip pushed from May to a later date)
* I've had customer's cancelled major meetings in NY
* I've had a nephew that had to return home from his study abroad in Italy.

Has anyone here had the virus or known anyone who has had it? Has it affected you?

Last edited by Squeak; 03-09-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:29 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27757
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Was going to a major LARP event, vacation time approved, hotel booked, BAM canceled :'(

A member of my real life group is debating stopping coming because his wife has him convinced he'll get it and kill his mother if he ever leaves the house ~_~

All of the retail locations I support have people losing their dang minds buying whole shelves of hand sanitizer and sani wipes, both of which kill bacteria and have negligible effect on potent viruses ~_~

And my wife is hyper ventilating because of the ordeal she went through for BTS sound check tickets and now they are cancelling their shows left right and center. Haven't cancelled her date yet thankfully. So we'll see

There have been some pretty quality memes though. So it's not all bad?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1583165774080.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	83316  

Last edited by Imveros; 03-05-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:32 PM
Sometimes, I eat cake

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6184
DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster
I live on the edge of a major city in Ohio, United States, for comparison.

* They stopped serving soup/salad in the work cafeteria (communal utensils)
* Price of toiletries has doubled
* Price of fresh vegetables has tripled
* I have had to update our household's emergency plan. Most disasters, the ultimate goal would be for use to travel east and meet up at my parent's place since they stockpile food (they're not preppers. Just canners with a big garden). For corona-virus, I feel the greatest risks come from other people, so if things break down the new plan is to stay put (assuming government is working. If that's down, however unlikely that is, all bets are off)

Gosh, reading my list makes me sound like a grumpy old guy with a neckbeard and a room full of guns and MREs. I mean, I DO have a neckbeard at the moment, but that's only because I've been too tired helping my wife through her anxiety to shave. And I guess a closet with 5 guns is very similar to a room full of guns superficially, but really, it's not! But MREs? Ha! All we've got is 20lbs of potatos. Oh, and a freezer full of frozen chicken and beef.

Posting Status: Available
Playing: Law of the Jungle || Recruiting: The Shattered Worlds
Old 03-05-2020, 02:14 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
I work with retailers... Many of those retailers are in really bad financial shape because of on line shopping. I think this could be the nail in the coffin for many of them.

I have a big semi-annual tradeshow scheduled in a couple weeks. It isn't cancelled yet, but retailers are starting to drop out quickly.

Last edited by Squeak; 03-05-2020 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:43 PM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
mlopez
Some of the companies we work with are in home services and they have been talking about how the small components are starting to be unavailable. They are seeing 4-6 week delivery dates for items they need to complete the job blaming the Coronavirus & the situation that's going on in China.

It made me wonder if things really hit the fan, how can you best prepare in the event of a quarantine? What else would you include?

Home Essentials:
-Water
-Sports Drinks
-Foods
-Peanut Butter
-Nuts & Cereal
-Dried Fruits
-Granola & Power bars
-Protein Powder
-Canned Goods like soup, chili, corn, peas, and beans
-Multivitamins

Misc.
-Activities: Deck of Cards, Games, and Books
-Batteries
-Candles / Flashlights

When Traveling Outside:
-Disinfectant Wipes
-Hand Sanitizer
-Face Masks (n95)
-Disposable Gloves

For the oh sh*t moment: Solar Battery and lots of ammo.

Last edited by Squeak; 03-05-2020 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Removed off-site links
Old 03-05-2020, 08:31 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 64450
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Our company has curtailed some business trips overseas.

We use a lot of dust masks, and are working to make sure we have those for actual dusty work... (as mentioned for bactericide below, people are buying the crud out of those, for no real reason because they don't work on virus transmission).

We've cancelled some trips to big conventions, and some gatherings in potential hubs of cross contact (Orlando, Los Angeles, Washington DC, Vegas), but we still have our plans in place for normal travel/small groups (for instance, this week I am in West Palm Beach with 15 other Safety people, and will be going to Texas at the end of the month... (San Antonio, sorry Squeak)).
Old 03-05-2020, 08:50 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2524
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
I'm honestly more concerned about the hysteria surrounding it than the virus itself.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:42 PM
A bird,a plan-Nalpadriba!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1663
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
I'm with Marshmallow on this.
Not saying it isn't a terrible threat and that the deaths aren't a tragedy; but also concerned about it bringing out our worst instincts and worst treatment of one another. So far, it reminds me somewhat of the hysteria and hate that swept over us during the early years of the AIDS crisis.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:01 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
glibglobb
People must live lives of such blissful medical ignorance if they think Corona is the big bad they need to be worrying about this story arc.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:55 PM
Nargle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32148
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
Just wait until those who have died from Covid-19 come back as zombies.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:58 AM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20780
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekidnu View Post
Just wait until those who have died from Covid-19 come back as zombies.
At least that would be interesting.
HAPPY PRIDE!
Old 03-06-2020, 04:45 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2341
Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991
Just from observation, I think it may have lowered gas prices (they've been down between 10-20% where I live recently). Would make sense with so much travel being cancelled and supply chains being delayed.

Honestly though, I think where I live is pretty isolated from the less than thought out responses. We make a joke or two and move on with life.

And I really think zombies would be far less interesting than imagined, as some countries already have a zombie apocalypse plan. I know my plan is to find an uninhabited island in the ocean and have a couple month camp out.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:11 AM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7034
Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen
My family company is an appliance installation parts wholesaler. So basically if you have an appliance in your house we sell the parts necessary to install it.

We have started running into issues with some of our products that are manufactured over seas. The funny part is though, a LOT of it used to be made in China, but because of the tariffs a few of our suppliers completely shifted their production to Indonesia.

Regardless from my experience I see a hiccup coming in supply chains and that hiccup I expect will take the better part of the year to recover from. If you take the ports in California for example they are running at least 25% slower than normal, which is going to be a nightmare once things start running back at full speed.

I honestly think the greatest damage will be to the global economy rather than the population.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:32 AM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 64450
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
I agree with the hysteria part (swine flu, SARS, etc.), because this will do what this does, it will be a little worse because as humans, we bunch up more and more every year (urban congestion), and we travel/interact more and more every year. Basically, we do the virus a favor more and more.

The positive side is that we do develop vaccines faster, we do tend to react a bit better (cough in elbows, get some shots, etc.) than we did 50 years ago. Overreact, perhaps, in times/places.

Tot is right, though, that the big thing to this is the economic impact... whether it's because of the mortality, the fear, or the (over) reaction and abundance of caution, this illness seems to be having a tangible impact on the money systems... Maybe because so much of our economy goes through China, maybe because China is the incubator, maybe both. SHortages of filter masks is common with things like this. SHortages of drugs, even stocking up on essentials, isn't uncommon. But "hey, we can't get plastic widgets out of China anymore, so... stop the assembly line" is pretty new for a disease. Factor in decades of lean manufacturing, just in time supply chains, and you have a recipe to grind a lot of companies to a slow, or halt.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:48 AM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
I concur with the rest on here that the biggest impact is going to be financial. I see huge ramifications here at retail -- and I think this could be the death knell of basically every department storemany retailers that are currently clinging to life right now. The lack of customers in a store are a big hit -- and this will have ripple effects through the end of the year.

I'm a firm believer in a cyclical economy and stock market -- and I think the over-reaction there is because people are LOOKING for a reason for the market to crash. But from my perspective, outside of high sovereign debt levels, there aren't any systemic issues that could make this a long lasting problem.

In the mean time, I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to go on a cruise in the next few months, because the prices are freaky cheap.