Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-20-2020, 04:11 PM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7034
Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen
Aaaaaaaaand Illinois is now on a stay at home order. Greaaaat.

Don't get me wrong, id rather people be safe than die but this is gonna be rough.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:15 PM
Big Piggy Pig Big Pig!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31519
PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG
@Toten: I'm sorry man. Just curious, what are you going to do to fill your time then?
Old 03-20-2020, 09:27 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 64400
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
In it's wisdom, my company has decided the best thing to do for the virus is move us to 12 hour days.

And, of course, it's super important to make damn sure we aren't slacking off, so... on the 4th day, we do 4 hours. And then the back end of the week comes in, and does 4 hours. Not sure who or what happens for the remaining time that isn't covered, but...

My schedule now is 7 am to 7 pm, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, and 7 am to 11 am Wednesday.

The back end comes in at 11 am on Wednesday, and goes to 4. (I know.. that's 5 hours, but they get a lunch hour, apparently.... I didn't make this schedule, someone got paid to though). Then, they work Th/Fr/Saturday, 7 to 7.

The thought (I heard) was that if someone comes down with the virus on one shift, they can "send everyone home" and the other shift can cover.

Yeah, I am not making this up.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:20 PM
do you smell smoke?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1859
Zagros Zagros Zagros Zagros Zagros Zagros Zagros Zagros Zagros Zagros Zagros
Illinois is a stay at home state, and I'm amused by the definition of "essential business". I do think mine is, we have a direct link to pharma, but some others... it seems to be a bit of a stretch. As I understand it, they are based off a list from (perhaps) Homeland Security.

The action doesn't really affect my family too much just now. We had already pretty much hunkered down, except for a run to the hobby store today for "spring break" activities for the kiddos. We are staying pretty sane, though my teenager is spending much more time facetimeing with a particular boy who is absolutely, very definitely, unequivocally NOT her boyfriend. Just ask her and she will We know his parents, and none of us are falling for it.say the same.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:57 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 501
Mectain Mectain Mectain Mectain Mectain Mectain
I do maint. work at a corn processing plant in North West Indiana and am apparently deemed "essential" to the continuing of the economy. I never knew I was so important. I just wish they would tell my bosses that.

My wife see's children for her work and that has ground to a halt so I am thankful to still be working and keeping busy.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:35 AM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2124
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
So Australia's quarantine measures are set to escalate. Tasmania had already closed itself off and our national borders were sealed, and now other states are announcing their own school/border closures and shutdown of non-essential elements. Feels like the states are all taking initiative where the federal government hasn't bothered being anything but reactive.

Playing: After the Quake, Tenmen, Sky Realm, Ultraviolet Grasslands, Pirate King's Legacy
I've taken the Oath.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:44 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11153
Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
I’m on the IT team at my church and we are doing the same thing... We’ve been streaming for a while, but the audience has been in the single digits. Now the fear is that we’ll still be sequestered during Easter.
I predicted the same kind of attendancy (for a large part due to digibetism) at my rock choir, so I blocked an initiative to make our rehearsals remote.
50+ people singing on a teams channel, of which at least 80% would need assistance, and of that 80% at least half would require significant assistance.... Nopenopenope.

Last edited by Sedracus; 03-22-2020 at 02:45 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:20 AM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37236
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
I had to google “digibetism“. I know it is slang but it’s kinda funny that the Dutch guy had to teach the American new words in English (good to see you Sed!)

Last edited by Squeak; 03-22-2020 at 04:23 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:28 PM
Dim Henchmen of Pang!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12914
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
I haven't really taken the time to say anything in this thread. My life has certainly been affected by all this, though not as harshly as some. My institute has taken a policy of "anyone who CAN work from home is STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to." That way people who need to be in the institute to get their work done are safer. So I'm 100% working from home now, which isn't an issue for me. Oddly, I think that my time for gaming has gone DOWN as a result. I'm trying to make sure my productivity stays high to avoid any questions about the wisdom of this maneuver by the administration.

Grocery stores are insane, as others have mentioned. Many things out of stock from panic-buyers. Long, regulated lines for the things that preppers and hoarders want to buy a pallet of. Like Dirk, my wife and I are doing just fine because most southerners don't want to eat that funny-lookin' vegetarian stuff. And there really are plenty of staples. Plenty of bread, even. It's just that people turn their noses up at anything but white bread and white tortillas and white spaghetti. I understand it's the south and all, but c'mon, that's a bit extreme, even for them.

The biggest concern on my end is that I've just discovered I've got my very first hernia. Found out on Thursday. What an inconvenient time for this kind of thing! Really annoying, given that I'm 31YO, ran a marathon last year, and stay pretty fit. Even explicitly pay attention to my core... Ah, well. Elective surgeries have been suspended at the local hospital as a combination of overcrowding, stretched resources, and attempting to stem the passage of coronavirus. It turns out that correcting a hernia is an elective surgery until it's "incarcerated", at which point it becomes a medical emergency. So, I'm just going to have to live with it for who knows how long. It's a bit scary and uncertain for me. I didn't even get a ton of guidance on what my new limitations are, so I'm just trying to be cautious about everything I do. I'm focusing on how fortunate I am that I don't rely on a lot of physical labor for my income. I can only imagine how much worse this situation would be for others. :'(

Last edited by Unko Talok; 03-22-2020 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:25 PM
Big Piggy Pig Big Pig!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
I had to google “digibetism“. I know it is slang but it’s kinda funny that the Dutch guy had to teach the American new words in English (good to see you Sed!)
ditto. Been a long time, man.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:29 PM
Big Piggy Pig Big Pig!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unko Talok View Post
The biggest concern on my end is that I've just discovered I've got my very first hernia. Found out on Thursday. What an inconvenient time for this kind of thing!
Happens in spades, right?

Don't worry man. I had my surgery on that one a few years ago and I didn't even know I had it until I noticed a bulge in my abdomen sometime after. You should be fine until all this blows over (says Dr. PIG). lol I'm joking but, yeah, it should be fine. No heavy lifting and no marathons for a bit though.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:19 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11153
Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG View Post
ditto. Been a long time, man.

Great to see you both as well!
To keep at teaching languages: Ditto is a Pokémon, idem dito is what you are looking for. This is borrowed from Latin: I say the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unko Talok View Post

The biggest concern on my end is that I've just discovered I've got my very first hernia. Found out on Thursday. What an inconvenient time for this kind of thing!
Ouch! Painful, and I can only hope the hospital's wait times aren't too long for all the non-essential activities when they Corona virus finally dies down and normal life resumes.
I'm actually afraid that in many countries, where the healthcare system is already not keeping up with the incoming amount of work, that this will cause a permanent significant increase to the waiting time until you can be treated.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:56 AM
fires and floods

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34069
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG View Post
@hvg: Do you think the airline exec’s are still gonna get their bonuses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcontar View Post
Whilst I'm not exactly the world's biggest fan of Alan Joyce - in fact, I think comparisons to weasels are unfair on weasels - he and the other top dogs at Qantas have agreed to work without remuneration for 6 months, or until the COVID-19 crisis has run its course.
I did hear that Alan Joyce might be cutting his annual salary down to $12 million...so still being paid way more than he should be.

We (in Sydney) have now been told that we can take our kids out of school if we think it best (and our infection rate is doubling every 3 days, so yes, we think it good), but they are leaving them open for people who cannot do that (eg people who would lose jobs if they stayed home, or people working in critical jobs). Also a good idea.

My work is encouraging working from home, but not actually helping with it. 2 bedroom unit, with a desk in my bedroom, and three others in the house...no, I don't want to do that. At work, I have my own office, and a max of maybe 11 others in the entire building. And others will work from home, so at the moment, I will try not to...
Old 03-23-2020, 04:34 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1578
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
Went to the pharmacy to fill my mom's scripts today. The pharmacist refused to fill them.

Whilst some of the medication was just quality of life stuff, two items were medications for a life-threatening illness (advanced COPD). When I explained this, he still refused, and basically accused us of hoarding. (Apparently there's a new regulation intended to crack down on hoarding of medication. However, as it was explained to me, it did not seem like we were breaching it.)

When I got home to see how much of this medication she actually had, she had two boxes of nebules (or a 10-day supply).

I'm not sure that really counts as hoarding. And if I'm required to self-quarantine, and can't go out for 2-3 weeks, what do we do then?

Last edited by Telcontar; 03-23-2020 at 04:46 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:16 AM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 64400
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Find another pharmacy (if possible).

Do you have a Costco nearby? we've never had issues with their pharmacy, and you don't need to be a member.

Otherwise, keep trying with other pharmacies. Sorry you had to encounter an idiot at your first one.