twitter facebook

Notices

Old 04-16-2020, 04:38 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1102
Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson
I also know next to nothing about vaping, but superstores like Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati still sell vape products in addition to the groceries that qualify them as an "essential" business.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:58 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 379
The Great Gnome The Great Gnome The Great Gnome The Great Gnome
I can't get anything for my vape. I could go down to the local gas station and pay 4x the price I would at the vape store for the same amount of vaping fluid, or I can pay (once calculating in durability and lifespan of the device vs the same in the device I already have) 6x the price I was paying to maintain my vaping habit with disposable vape devices, which can't be refilled and are terrible for the planet. I'm just *expletive deleted* out of luck in that arena.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:29 PM
She Whispers, Loneliness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12133
Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis
Since I have Hashimoto's (auto-immune thyroid issues) I require blood work on bi-annual schedule. That appointment has come due this Monday. Gotta have it done so I can keep my meds in order. It's not really a choice and especially so because I need a significant conference with my endo. For the last 3 weeks, I've had an upper respiratory infection. Congestion, snot, snot, and more snot with a productive cough but never any fever or chest tightness. Additionally, neither my wife or kids have come down with any symptoms in the 21 days I've had this crud. So, Covid-19? Maybe but unlikely. Anyways, I will need to follow the Covid protocol to get my blood work because I still have snot and a slight cough after 21 days. That means I have to go where people are being tested for Covid-19. Worrying just a little.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:38 PM
Σ͑͒͌̏̍͞҉̻͎̙͈̯͔͖̟

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9246
Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin
On the education front:

Apparently, universities are discussing not opening up campuses again until 2021.

Depending on who all follows through with that, there will be an entire year of graduating HS students who will be getting a very unconventional experience.

I wonder how many students will simply decide not to pursue higher education as a result of this.
I wonder how many universities will transition to Online-Only and never open their doors again.

There are a lot of benefits to in-person education, but if these institutions spend the summer refining their Online offerings, quality education could suddenly become vastly more accessible to a lot of people, and possibly a lot cheaper. Learning to excel within distracting environments can be challenging and very beneficial in its own right.

Last edited by Gaijin; 04-18-2020 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:54 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10995
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
On the education front:

Apparently, universities are discussing not opening up campuses again until 2021.
DISCLAIMER: I am not suggesting that my personal inconvenience/expense should affect how the education sector operates for the safety of all.

MAIN POINT: I am a student in Special Education, currently completing my classroom observation requirement through virtual means which would not be available were this situation not as dire as it is. I am scheduled to complete student teaching in the fall. I have not been the greatest student in the past, so this degree program has taken me a very long time. I'm looking at my 35th birthday before it's all done in the best case.

My program version is only good if completed by June 2021. If my student teaching is not satisfactorily completed by that time, some of my prior courses time out and I would have to complete their replacements. That would disqualify me from student teaching and push me back as late as potentially summer 2022.

I have no validated marketable skills without a degree. The thought of going back to working dead-end menial jobs is not good for my psyche.

And I'm not the most optimistic person in the world. This is weighing heavily.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:34 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 64450
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
I have been named Covid Coordinator for my facility.

I prefer Covid Czar, but I don't think they will let me have that.

Apparently, it means I have to nag people about social distancing, wearing PPE, etc..

If I taught in grade school, that would be fine.

But, I hate the general concept that grown adults need to be nagged and told not to share dust masks with each other.

Then again, some of the people I work with are so selfish and lazy, I think they would die of starvation with a crate of food in the next room, because they think someone else should bring it into the breakroom and serve it to them.