Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-06-2020, 08:40 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 64450
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Not just the lack of customers in the stores, but the lack of product in the stores to sell to the customers is a double whammy for those retail sellers...

I am fascinated by the (once again) shotgun method of assessing risk and taking actions:

Here in Florida, two huge convention centers canceled events, and more are thinking of it. Because, of course, conventions bring people from all over the world, in planes with other people from all over the world, and put them all in proximity, in enclosed rooms, often touching doors and handling things other handle.

But Disneyworld, Epcot, Legoland, Universal Studios, Seaworld are just chugging along doing blockbuster business day after day after day.

And I can't think of many places that seem more likely to me to be a contagion center than Disneyworld et al. Not only are there numbers, but it's a constantly changing mass, coming in, leaving, mixing, new folks addded... it's not the same group for several days, it's a constant inflow and outflow of potential carriers.

Big Conference or Convention: 4000-5000 people
Freakin' HUGE conference: 10,000 people

Big concert venue: 25,000 people
Huge concert venue: 75,000 people

Comic Con: 150,000 people over a week, including media and "cameo" by stars

Disneyworld: 50,000 people+ every single day of the year.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:49 PM
Sometimes, I eat cake

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6184
DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post
Disneyworld: 50,000 people+ every single day of the year.
So glad my coworker is taking his daughter to a cheering competition followed by Disneyworld this weekend...

Posting Status: Available
Playing: Law of the Jungle || Recruiting: The Shattered Worlds
Old 03-06-2020, 10:36 PM
Γόρδιοι δεσμόι

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1112
Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo
So far I am almost entirely unaffected (so long as I don't look at the investing app on my phone).

I had to work up an "online model" for the School of Humanities in case the state starts closing the universities (we have no cases so far in our state). The plan only took about an hour, because we already take frequent hurrications, so most of the infrastructure for that plan was already in place. And I made the Chairs do most of their own reporting.

I am heading to Disney and Universal tomorrow with the fam for Spring Break. The trip was bought and paid for months ago. If we hadn't already paid out thousands of dollars, I might consider not going, but as it is, we'll take our chances, wash our hands, and have a great time.

Last edited by Gordo; 03-06-2020 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:52 AM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2524
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Disney World wouldn't close even if there was an incoming meteor, big corps don't care about the health of people or those who work for'em, they're literally more concerned with the money coming in than the threat they pose to a population of people.

Has a deep-seated hatred for Disney, if that's not obvious.

Last edited by Marshmallow; 03-07-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:52 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37286
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
Quote:
Not just the lack of customers in the stores, but the lack of product in the stores to sell to the customers is a double whammy for those retail sellers...
There are some ‘panicked induced’ selling going on right now. Things like water, toilet paper, etc. it as someone who does a lot of international sourcing, esp from re will be long lasting ramifications to supply chain. To date, only about 60% of the normal staffing is at my factories (home textiles), which will affect deliveries for this Christmas.

Also, the worst in the US is yet to come, I’m expecting 100+ people in NY to come down with the virus,

AS A NOTE - From everything I have researched on this, if you are under 55 and without any major health issues, you will be fine even if you get the virus. So unless you are really unhealthy or as old as Methuselah Admin Dirk or Codger, you’ll be fine no matter what happens. From a financial standpoint, those with 10+ years to invest will actually benefit from this hysteria.

Last edited by Squeak; 03-07-2020 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:18 PM
Been there, done that

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5179
Codger Codger Codger Codger Codger Codger Codger Codger Codger Codger Codger
Yea even though there's a few cases in my state (AZ), I've seen no reaction besides jokes (of which I'm also guilty). I'm really not concerned about it, I can still get up after I fall. As for the markets, a correction was overdue.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:19 AM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcontar View Post
I am alarmed by the number of people that think that panic/hysteria is a more serious issue than the virus itself. As are most medical professionals.
Ah yes, stock up on anti-bacterial vaccine wipes which people with numerous life-threatening conditions need. Even though anti-bacterial wipes won't work on a virus.

I know a good number of folk whose lives could very well be at risk because of uneducated panic buyers getting swept up in the waves of hysteria, it absolutely is more concerning than the virus because it's creeping over into the medical requirements and (in some cases) the necessities of continued living for people with certain underlying health problems which is creating a certainty in regards to inaccessibility to necessary hygiene products because someone might get a virus. I don't know who these 'medical professionals' you're talking about are, but I can guarantee you if they know their ****, the most they'll be saying is "Hey wash your hands and make sure to keep 2 weeks of food and supplies in case someone gets Covid-19"

Being prepared is indeed, not a hysteric move, but there's a line between being prepared and being a prepper. Again: People panic-buying anti-bacterial vaccine wipes in an attempt to replace hygiene products they can't acquire in-store due to demand outweighing supply. It has a serious impact on real, living people because folk are in too much of a panic whipped up by mainstream media for views and clicks without taking a second to do any research into the difference between a bacterial infection and a virus.

EDIT:
I just realized how aggro this sounds, I'm not trying to be a twatwaffle here or anything, but this is a pretty serious impact of uneducated panic buyers brought on by hysteria and fear-mongering from big media.

Last edited by Marshmallow; 03-08-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:21 PM
Sometimes, I eat cake

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6184
DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster
My sister-in-law in Australia was told to be careful walking back to her car because she'd just bought toilet paper. That's worrying to me.

The US isn't to that level yet of panic, at least not where I'm at, but that absolutely worries me.

Unrelated, we're buying a bidet.

Posting Status: Available
Playing: Law of the Jungle || Recruiting: The Shattered Worlds
Old 03-08-2020, 01:45 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 64450
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
@Marsh

Yup. Just got notice yesterday that we will probably run out of dust masks this week, because idiots are buying them up for Virus protection.

My workers, who face respiratory hazards of DUST, can't get dust masks anymore, because people are wearing them (or just buying them to have) to look stupid.

Just buy a bandana and play cowboys/indians. It has the same effectiveness. And it allows people who truly need the PPE to have it.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:58 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
@Marsh

Yup. Just got notice yesterday that we will probably run out of dust masks this week, because idiots are buying them up for Virus protection.

My workers, who face respiratory hazards of DUST, can't get dust masks anymore, because people are wearing them (or just buying them to have) to look stupid.

Just buy a bandana and play cowboys/indians. It has the same effectiveness. And it allows people who truly need the PPE to have it.
My cousin works as a nurse with the NHS and one of the patients she cares for has a respiratory system which requires hand sanitization and bacterial cleansing on all attendant staff hands before and after touching the respiratory machine.

They're struggling to keep anti-bacterial substances stocked.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:28 PM
Meet thy maker, sinner!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8671
creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed
We've had reported cases in the city I'm in for the past month, and so far they've all been imports (knock on wood). Most have been pretty good and self reported, although one moron decided to go for a joyride on our transit system halfway across the city, so there's a timebomb in the making.

Overall things seem pretty chill here so far. We had SARS here seventeen years ago so I'd like to think having that in most people's memory has helped a bit. There hasn't been any panic buying that I know of, although I've noticed the amount of bleach was in short supply in the local supermarket (although lots of toilet paper....figure that out). I've been working from home for the past two weeks waiting for the plunge, hoping it never comes (although I think my hopes are in vain from what I'm seeing down south). In the meantime my place hasn't been cleaner, and my hands are like sandpaper from washing so often
Old 03-08-2020, 09:31 PM
Γόρδιοι δεσμόι

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1112
Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo
We went to Walmart to try to buy hand sanitizer in Orlando, just in case we wanted to snack and couldn't get to a bathroom to wash our hands. They were all out. I have now been affected by the Coronoa Virus.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:34 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27757
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
The new James Bond movie was delayed until November! My dad and I were making plans to go see it

Oh yeah and they've closed my entire department with zero notice for an indeterminate amount of time...

It's always fun to walk into work and find that 3000+ people don't have job duties for absolutely no reason! I help oversee food demonstrations at a major grocery chain. Not only will they be washing their hands less doing other duties, but I stood there and watched as literally 7 different customers touched the same pile of Pringles in a ten minute span.

So eliminating the samples does absolutely nothing to make customers safer. I flat asked my bosses boss if they just did this to have more personnel for the core store without raising payroll and got almost literally this face.

On the plus side, I ran a register for the first time in a decade and still remembered all the codes

I hope to see all my Shadowrunners there showing RPGX what they're made of!
Old 03-08-2020, 09:43 PM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2341
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMavster View Post
My sister-in-law in Australia was told to be careful walking back to her car because she'd just bought toilet paper. That's worrying to me.

The US isn't to that level yet of panic, at least not where I'm at, but that absolutely worries me.

Unrelated, we're buying a bidet.
It wasn't unreasonable to suggest that when we were at our worst, especially if anyone perceived her as 'bulk buying' without proper cause and decided to abuse her for it. There have been belligerent customers abuse staff, fights break out in aisles ... all over toilet paper.

Australia is wholly unprepared for this. We've never had a major epidemic scare before (or at least, not in living memory), so the emerging pandemic has people selfish and reactive, and the government is not keeping up with giving proper guidance to the public.

I have an infant and am trying to keep well stocked on nappies, and it's a little easier now the initial hysteria has died off a tad and restocking efforts are catching up, but last week there were only a few walker packs left in any given store, always torn open with the contents scattered ... no doubt some muppets were stuffing them down pants or pockets to walk out with them. Goddamn animals.

Playing: After the Quake, Tenmen, Sky Realm, Ultraviolet Grasslands, Pirate King's Legacy
I've taken the Oath.

Last edited by HotsuSama; 03-08-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:28 AM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37286
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imveros View Post
Oh yeah and they've closed my entire department with zero notice for an indeterminate amount of time...

It's always fun to walk into work and find that 3000+ people don't have job duties for absolutely no reason! I help oversee food demonstrations at a major grocery chain
That was in the news today.

And based on what has happened to the market over the pasts 7 days, it looks like I'll need to work another couple years before I can retire.