Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-09-2020, 11:49 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11826
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
My husband and I were buying a new home this summer. A little over a week ago my mother was hospitalized with breathing and oxygen problems for three days. She's still on oxygen and steroids to try to help the situation. She also works in a mall and is over 60. My dad is an auto mechanic and gets paid 'flat rate' which is per job, regardless of how many hours he is there. Today he's working for 12 hours and will make about 4 hours worth of pay because everyone is staying in and not taking their cars in for maintenance. We only have 9 cases in the are so far.

So, it's possible that we're going to move in with my parents for 6 months or a year if things get really bad with the economy or the virus. That way they can keep their house and my mom can stop working until things die down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMavster View Post
The US isn't to that level yet of panic, at least not where I'm at, but that absolutely worries me.
In Maryland, where we didn't have a case until Thursday, the stores near me were out of sanitizer, alcohol, soap, cleaning supplies, toilet paper, aloe, and a ton of over the counter medicines. That was laat week. It's crazy. Almost makes one wonder how many people were just -not- washing their hands before lol. I ordered enough fever medication and cough medicine for our family of 6 for two weeks - incase we get infected and have to self quarantine and have been slowly stocking up on a little bit of extra food for the same reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post
Yup. Just got notice yesterday that we will probably run out of dust masks this week, because idiots are buying them up for Virus protection.
My brother is a carpenter and this is worrisome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
My cousin works as a nurse with the NHS and one of the patients she cares for has a respiratory system which requires hand sanitization and bacterial cleansing on all attendant staff hands before and after touching the respiratory machine.

They're struggling to keep anti-bacterial substances stocked.
My cousin is in the same situation as a hospital nurse in New Jersey.

Last edited by DaysUntold; 03-09-2020 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:11 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14431
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
...big corps don't care about the health of people or those who work for'em, they're literally more concerned with the money coming in than the threat they pose to a population of people.
I think you watch too many movies.

COVID-19 will be nasty, but this isn't the end of the world. My Purell stock keeps going up and up.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:27 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2524
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdove View Post
I think you watch too many movies.
The irony here is I actually don't watch that many movies, 95% of'em these days are trite. That and the person you're talking to is one of the "**** the virus isn't that bad, just don't be a hysteric *******" folks.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:51 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37236
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
These types of diseases aren't new.

SARS - 2002
BIRD FLU - 2008
FLU PANDEMIC - 2009
MERS- 2012
EBOLA - 2013-2016
ZIKA - 2015

I added a link to the first page of the running totals of the Coronavirus. LINK is at the top of the post.

114K total cases, 4000 deaths as of the time of this post.

Last edited by Squeak; 03-09-2020 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:53 PM
Γόρδιοι δεσμόι

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1112
Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
And based on what has happened to the market over the pasts 7 days, it looks like I'll need to work another couple years before I can retire.
I have a professor who is working out the last semester of his contract before he retires in May. I asked him how he was doing, and he said he was still planning on retiring. He's got the first year of retirement in cash and another "bucket" of money for his next two years of retirement in ETFs that he put a 10% stop-loss order on. The rest of his money is invested for the long haul . . . like he's going to need it to last 30 more years. Seems like a solid plan.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:14 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 64400
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
I moved the majority of my 401(k) out of stocks in early 2017. It's been a pain to think about "did I make a huge mistake" as the market climbed higher and higher under the current regime.

I feel much better today.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:57 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
Smart money would wait a few weeks and put the whole thing back into the market. What does down must go up.

It took 26 months to recover from the ‘great recession’ of 2008. It took 8 months to recover from the 2011 crash.
I think the market will end up recovering to a point, although it will take a couple years to get back to where it is now. And for those who are investing with each paycheck via a 401K or similar auto-investment type strategy, it is actually a benefit — because you are buying low right now!

Last edited by Squeak; 03-09-2020 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:52 PM
fires and floods

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34069
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek
I haven't been able to buy toilet paper for the last week or so...

Old 03-10-2020, 07:14 AM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Toilet paper being combustible and all, isn't that still a risk in Australia?
Old 03-10-2020, 09:16 AM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2524
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Well my local jobcentre is now requesting everybody who are part of an at-risk group (incl. me) not to come in and to take their bi-weekly interviews over the phone.

I hate making phonecalls. :|
Old 03-10-2020, 09:46 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27707
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
I feel this meme in my soul!

It's funny how many pointless meetings have magically become emails or conference calls since all this dropped.

Here's to hoping the trend continues even after all of this has passed *crosses fingers*
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1583796909925.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	83375  
Old 03-10-2020, 07:49 PM
Σ͑͒͌̏̍͞҉̻͎̙͈̯͔͖̟

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9246
Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin
I traveled to China when SARS was still a concern and the plane was met with a team of people in bright yellow TyChem coveralls and masks, scanning the passengers for quarantine. Made for an exciting start of the trip.

Unfortunately, my Dad is currently dealing with a not insignificant medical emergency, and I am not allowed to travel to see him due to his weakened state. Things will probably cool off before it gets too serious, but there is always the chance that I'll miss my opportunity entirely. On the upside, there is no shortage of toilet paper or fresh vegetables at the local stores, for the time being.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:14 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
On the upside, there is no shortage of toilet paper or fresh vegetables at the local stores, for the time being.
Buy low, sell high, become a profiteer.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:01 PM
fires and floods

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34069
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek
Quote:
Toilet paper being combustible and all, isn't that still a risk in Australia?
There's been enough (flood) water that everything's pretty damp now. We've left "summer", so hopefully no more bushfires for at least six months...
Old 03-11-2020, 12:12 AM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Buy low, sell high, become a profiteer.
Have - 2 packages of Quilted Northern Toilet paper and an 8oz bottle of Purell.
Looking to trade for a late model truck with low miles.