Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-11-2020, 06:54 AM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2624
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
Have - 2 packages of Quilted Northern Toilet paper and an 8oz bottle of Purell.
Looking to trade for a late model truck with low miles.
How about a Rustic Truck with no miles?
Old 03-11-2020, 12:24 PM
Σ͑͒͌̏̍͞҉̻͎̙͈̯͔͖̟

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9246
Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin
Make sure to test the product before you trade, there are rumors that Squeak has been de-plying the QNT.

Three layers deep into quarantine is no time to be playing finger-peekaboo.

Last edited by Gaijin; 03-11-2020 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 03:05 PM
She Whispers, Loneliness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12133
Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
I just thought I'd see what other people are experiencing as a result of the Coronavirus.
Has anyone here had the virus or known anyone who has had it? Has it affected you?
Living in the Hudson Valley in NY, there are cases in counties bordering where I live. Numbers jump up every day. A school about 8 miles away closed for the rest of the week pending the outcome of testing. My wife has been compiling a "doomsday" curriculum for if/when her school gets closed. Today, I made an email to people I have a tabletop with that addressed the concern of exposure risks. That 6 degrees of separation business is making the world seem kind of small.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:10 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3258
RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja
Just got the news today that a local con I was planning on attending has been cancelled. So... who wants to start an online convention? We could call it QuarantineCon!
Old 03-11-2020, 07:27 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 64450
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quarantinecon is too long...

Quarancon sounds better.

Or maybe CovidCon?
Old 03-11-2020, 07:28 PM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2341
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Definitely CovidCon, gotta have that alliteration.

Although that may get it mixed up with CorvidCon. One has deaths, the other has a murder.

Playing: After the Quake, Tenmen, Sky Realm, Ultraviolet Grasslands, Pirate King's Legacy
I've taken the Oath.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:40 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 64450
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
There won't be a murder if it's virtual... no gathering.

I guess that's something to crow about, though.... No murders at our Con!
Old 03-11-2020, 08:09 PM
Sometimes, I eat cake

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6184
DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post
I guess that's something to crow about, though.... No murders at our Con!
Leave it in the pun room, you monster.

Posting Status: Available
Playing: Law of the Jungle || Recruiting: The Shattered Worlds
Old 03-11-2020, 10:56 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21220
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
So, the travel ban from Europe to the US that was announced today was sad. This Saturday my wife's cousin was flying in to visit us from the Czech Republic. He would have been the first member of her family to come to visit us in the US in over 18 years that we have been here. Hopefully, he will be able to reschedule for in a few months.

Then, the rest of the NBA season got canceled, after one of my favorite players on my favorite team tested positive. Things are shutting down fast, and more and more work-related functions are getting canceled too.

The airlines are hurting. I booked a flight home for Thursday night just yesterday. I went to check my seat about 5 minutes later and already was upgraded to 1st class. Usually, I just get a comfort+ upgrade, if there are not too many frequent flyers on my flight.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:13 AM
Hail To Hoots!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1987
Crocartes Crocartes Crocartes Crocartes Crocartes Crocartes Crocartes Crocartes Crocartes Crocartes Crocartes
I'm over in Eastern TN, and things have finally started to affect here as well. No one at the university in my town has it (yet), but it appears they are planning to shut down a lot of stuff soon. Travel for school business (even within US) has been cancelled, a big conference in my field that we are hosting is probably going to be cancelled, and I suspect a conference a town or two over that I am supposed to present at will be cancelled as well.

Additionally, a bunch of schools in the area are essentially prepping students and faculty to stay home and do online classes after spring break. I'd normally welcome this change, except we've got on of the worlds premier artists in our field (as well as personal hero of mine) teaching two classes this semester, and I dont want to miss out on those class opportunities.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:55 AM
Sometimes, I eat cake

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6184
DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster
I'm torn on the quarantine measures being put into place in my state (Ohio). Basically, every college and university has cancelled classes. Yet we only have 4 confirmed cases last I checked. I'm starting to wonder what the government knows that they're not telling us, because the response doesn't seem to be proportionate. Shoot, I remember Swine Flu being a big deal, but we didn't shut down any schools or anything.

The world is tanking the economy with all of these closures and panic. And I forget what country it was (wife's friend), but they've basically enforced its citizens staying home and if you get caught breaking quarantine, you'll be... fined 300 euros? What's that about? If you shut your country down due to a virus, but the penalty for potentially spreading the disease and breaking quarantine is little more than a parking ticket, what's the deal?

Maybe I've watched too many disaster movies, but typically if a country is forcing people to stay off the streets due to a viral outbreak, the usual punishment for breaking quarantine is either isolation in imprisonment or you're shot and your body burned. This whole, "We must contain the virus! We'll slap you on the wrist if you don't follow orders," confuses the tar out of me.

Posting Status: Available
Playing: Law of the Jungle || Recruiting: The Shattered Worlds
Old 03-12-2020, 10:19 AM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2624
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMavster View Post
I'm torn on the quarantine measures being put into place in my state (Ohio). Basically, every college and university has cancelled classes. Yet we only have 4 confirmed cases last I checked. I'm starting to wonder what the government knows that they're not telling us, because the response doesn't seem to be proportionate. Shoot, I remember Swine Flu being a big deal, but we didn't shut down any schools or anything.
I kinda understand over here in the UK, as we have quite a lot of elderly folk kept in close vicinity of each other - a lot of retirement towns and such. Also our lead politicians are all in the at-risk age gate of dying from Corona. The thing that gets me about this all is the symptoms:
According to the NHS, it's a cough with fever and difficulty breathing, but that's it? Don't get me wrong, I'm asthmatic, so (touch wood) I'm not planning on catching COVID-19, the only reason I can think of this level of a response is that everyone is afraid it'll mutate into something with a higher lethality rate and they want to prevent the number of people exposed?

It's definitely odd, if I'm honest.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:19 AM
She Whispers, Loneliness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12133
Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis
Quote:
I'm starting to wonder what the government knows that they're not telling us, because the response doesn't seem to be proportionate.
This is where I'm at. I did hear a perspective that I understand about the response versus the overall risks. Because of the highly contagious nature of the virus, not the severity, the response is meant to mitigate the burden on health services. Even if only 1% need critical services, there will not be enough resources to attend those in need.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:27 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12026
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Securis View Post
This is where I'm at. I did hear a perspective that I understand about the response versus the overall risks. Because of the highly contagious nature of the virus, not the severity, the response is meant to mitigate the burden on health services. Even if only 1% need critical services, there will not be enough resources to attend those in need.
This. It's called flattening the curve, where the goal is to keep the spread slower so that our health systems can cope with the influx. So even if the same amount of people get sick, it happens over a longer period of time so we aren't overwhelming hospitals. It's not just about Coronavirus patients either, beds are needed for car accidents and appendectomy patients, etc, who might not be able to be helped.

Also, heard an analogy addressing the 'flu kills more people's arguement comparing that to people watching a tsunami coming and saying "eh, I hard lightning kills more people' and not reacting.

Last edited by DaysUntold; 03-12-2020 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:52 PM
Nargle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32198
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
Quote:
I'm starting to wonder what the government knows that they're not telling us, because the response doesn't seem to be proportionate.
I’m not trying to be argumentative, but I do want to grab your attention.What would be the appropriate response to prevent 1 million people from dying?

To be clear, I have no comment on what actions should be taken, or whether the actions that have been taken are appropriate. But some arithmetic may explain why people are concerned about COVID-19. According to the CDC, last flu season (2018-19) there were roughly 35,000 flu-related deaths in the United States out of roughly 35 million illnesses (see either the third paragraph or scroll down to Table 1 here).

Based on current data, the death rate for COVID-19 seems to be about 3%. Suppose the same number of people in the US get COVID-19 as got the flu last season. That would give 3% of 35 million COVID-19 related deaths in the US—roughly 1 million people.

I think part of the problem about COVID-19 is that it’s only scary if you take time to calculate the numbers. The disease itself will be relatively benign for most people—the symptoms aren’t anything special, and roughly 80% recover without any special treatment. I’m relatively young and healthy, so I’m not really worried about myself—my odds are good. But older people could catch it from me, and as Days pointed out, hospitals would be overwhelmed if it became widespread. And I also know that I’m not invulnerable—after all, Dr Li Wenliang was only 34 when he died.

Last edited by ekidnu; 03-12-2020 at 01:54 PM.