Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-12-2020, 02:15 PM
Sometimes, I eat cake

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6184
DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekidnu View Post
Im not trying to be argumentative, but I do want to grab your attention.What would be the appropriate response to prevent 1 million people from dying?
Agree with your post. It's just that the economic impact of basically shutting down a country isn't negligible either, and based on how the virus is spreading I feel like the quarantining doesn't make sense. So we closed Ohio State University, great. Are those college kids going to hide at home now or are they going to hang out and Gosh, I sound olddo college kid things? I mean, it probably prevents half the campus from getting sick at the same time, but it's not doing much to protect the individuals.

I understand what DaysUntold said about flattening the curve, and honestly that makes the most sense to me. It's not so much about stopping the virus as it is about spreading out the cases so our health systems aren't overwhelmed.

Still not scared, but we're a single income household as of January this year with no emergency savings at the moment (had to use it to wipe out a loan in order to So, so oldbalance income with expenditures). If the economy goes into the toilet and my job's impacted, we've got nothing in place for that. Ordinarily I'd say my wife and I'd just both get retail jobs fast since they're always hiring, but if stores lose business, that'd probably change.

Eh, I'm just venting my stress now. Let's talk about happier things.

Like ducks. Who doesn't like ducks?

Posting Status: Available
Playing: Law of the Jungle || Recruiting: The Shattered Worlds
Old 03-12-2020, 02:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3258
RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja
I work at a large chemical plant, and we just got told that we now need VP-level approval to travel within the plant outside our assigned areas.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:11 PM
Lanthanide

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30246
Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium
I'm in the Chicago suburbs. Today is the first time I've seen empty spots on shelves in grocery stores, although I always have a year's supply of tp and tissues on hand, so I haven't been to those aisles.

I do need butterscotch chips, though, so gonna have to brave a different grocery store tonight.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:27 PM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20830
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Consider for a moment, that the CURRENT lethality is between 1-3%.

This virus, like SARS and MERS before it, is zoonotic.

The SARS virus jumped from bats to civets to people and COVID19 jumped from bats to mostly likely snakes, and then people.

These virus' are capable of rapid mutation. Right now, the symptoms are mostly mild and only dangerous to the elderly and immuno-compromised. What happens if the virus starts causing edema, seizures, or total organ failure?

It is unlikely, but still plausible and if that were to happen the severity of the disease would increase considerably and suddenly people who were previously on vectors would become seriously compromised themselves.

That is why spreading the curve is important. To prevent not only system wide breakdown, but should things change to allow systems to adapt along with any changes in the virus' patterns.
HAPPY PRIDE!

Last edited by wodine; 03-12-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:33 PM
Γόρδιοι δεσμόι

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1112
Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo
I just got the orders from on high to move all of our classes online for the next week (the week following our spring break). The rest of the schools and departments at our University are doing the same. The email said classes would resume normally a week from Monday, but then I received a text message from the Provost that said, "Yeah, no, we're not coming back" in more circuitous words.

Also, our Walmart is now out of toilet paper.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:57 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 64450
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
My company just canceled my class in California that was set for mid April.

They have not said a word about my class that is in Texas in 10 days.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:23 AM
Sometimes, I eat cake

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6184
DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster
The governor of Ohio just announced yesterday that all schools will be closed for 3 weeks and that people shouldn't gather in groups of 100 or more. My office then told us to all work from home for a week.

The grocery stores were stripped clean by the time my wife and I got there (we were legit out of a few non-essentials). But apparently the panic buyers aren't thinking things through, so we just went to Menards (home improvement store that also stocks some groceries. Everyone overlooks that part).

On the plus side, looks like I'll have a lot of time to spend on RPG Crossing this coming week!

Seriously though, stay safe everyone. I'm a big enough man to admit when I'm wrong, and a week ago I was not treating this with the seriousness it deserved. That said, this isn't a world ending event. Mankind's taken worse kicks to the teeth before and made it through. We'll get through this too.

Posting Status: Available
Playing: Law of the Jungle || Recruiting: The Shattered Worlds

Last edited by DaMavster; 03-13-2020 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:22 AM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2624
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
DaMavster, my place is the same - the Panic Buyers have bought all the pasta out of the big chains, but completely forgot about the fact that there's a natural foods store that stocks pasta and a metric f*cktonne of canned goods. Most folks think it's a natural medicines place.

It also sells toilet paper. Though I did hide the last pack of toilet paper in a local big chain behind the bread, I couldn't help myself.

Last edited by Marshmallow; 03-13-2020 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:37 AM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4600
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
Yep, same here. It's nuts.

I should be good on TP for at least another two or three weeks, but with this hysteria - I feel like I need to find and buy a bundle now, just in case there's none in two or three weeks (but does that mean I'm contributing to the problem?)

I'd like to stop somewhere to pick up some non-perishables also, since I was working through my old cans before things started to get wild...

What's the rational response to people making irrational purchases?
Old 03-13-2020, 11:45 AM
god-King of GM brutality

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1701
UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ
Flattening the curve is BIG. What i read somewhere, was that the only reason the fatality rate is as high as it is, is because China was so overwhelmed at the begining! The numbers I saw reported had China's fatality rate for the month of February at 0.6% and this number goes down if you take into account all the unreported most mild cases. But I still feel that the responses have been way more serious than is needed, even to flatten the curve.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:26 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37286
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
The unknown throughout this is how long it is going to last. If it is like the seasonal flu, it should die out/slow down dramatically by late April / early May. Hoping/praying that is the case.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:05 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12026
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
I know that this thread is to talk about how people are preparing and the issue in general, but I just wanted to take a send good thoughts/prayers/vibes out to any members who are in the high risk category and all who have loved ones who are.

It is easy when looking at a % to forget those individuals who are behind that number who are hurting or suffering, so here's sending you some love.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:01 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2341
Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991
Well, I got news today that it's been in my workplace. Yay me.

Actually, if the symptoms the people affected were displaying are any indicator, then most of us will be fine. We've had a couple of people miss some days, but that's about it so far. Unfortunately, we receive shipments from several locations, so no telling when it'll be done for us. Seems like the US is missing the worst of it. I feel sorry for the people in Italy though.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:57 PM
do you smell smoke?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1859
Zagros Zagros Zagros Zagros Zagros Zagros Zagros Zagros Zagros Zagros Zagros
Panic shopping is the rule of the day. There is no actual shortage of any goods, just panic buying. Eventually, the crazies will realize they have seventeen years' worth of TP, and stop buying.

To reiterate what far smarter people have said, flattening the curve is essential. Based on my line of work, I know there are multiple therapies for this in various stages of testing, in addition to the work on a vaccine. But that work takes time, and none of us want a treatment that is Google "thalidomide" for a good example, but trigger warning for disturbing images of birth defects.not safe. Slowing the spread prevents capacity resources (ICU beds, ventilators, etc) from being overwhelmed in the meantime. That's the state they reached in China and, to a lesser extent, Italy.

There is certainly a lot of unknown in all the data. I heard somewhere that the smoking rate in that part of China is something like 50% for men, and that would have a noticeable impact on mortality rates. But, the data hasn't been parsed out to confirm

Reiterating what DaysUntold said. This is a stressful situation for all of us, in varying degrees. Let's all make a point of being kind to our fellow human beans; none of us knows exactly what someone else is dealing with in that moment.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:55 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 64450
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Just went to the Publix and Winn Dixie near us, just to hit some things they had on sale.. not stocking up, just getting sale items (diet coke, vegan meals, etc.), and things seemed pretty normal there. Pretty sure they are spraying their shopping carts a bit more often, and saw a limit on hand sanitizer of two per transaction, but the shelves were full, I could see nothing missing.