Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-14-2020, 07:21 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27757
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
My sister in law's Publix has got the jokes

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1584226599746.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	83429  

I hope to see all my Shadowrunners there showing RPGX what they're made of!
Old 03-14-2020, 09:21 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12026
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imveros View Post
My sister in law's Publix has got the jokes
This is amazing. We need more of this in the world.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:50 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37286
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
That pic is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagros View Post
I heard somewhere that the smoking rate in that part of China is something like 50% for men, and that would have a noticeable impact on mortality rates. But, the data hasn't been parsed out to confirm
As someone who spends a lot of time in China, that statistic probably isn’t that far off. A LOT of men smoke — but not many women. It could be the social stigma that comes with a woman smoking, but I like to think it’s because women aren’t dumb,

Also, the medical facilities aren’t the same. While they do have some good Yes, I have been to them (but not for me)hospitals, typically Chinese people revert to traditional medicine or simply ‘tough it out’ before going to a doctor.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:45 AM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 64450
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
But Squeak, what are the prisons like in China?

Old 03-15-2020, 12:02 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2624
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
China also has notoriously low quality of air too, doesn't it?
Old 03-15-2020, 01:30 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
Yes, but it obviously depends upon where you are.

Most of the population in China lives in very close proximity to each other. While the overall size of China is about the same as the US, much of it is relatively uninhabitable mountain. Most of the population lives on the east coast.

In the same way pollution is worse in New York City or Los Angeles, it is also worse in cities in China. The problem is that there are SO many more cities in China. There are 65 cities in China that have more than a million people in their population. Shanghai has a larger population than the top 13 cities in the US combined.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:54 PM
Sometimes, I eat cake

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6184
DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
Shanghai has a larger population than the top 13 cities in the US combined.
There's so many fascinating details about other countries that just don't seem well known. I knew Shanghai was big, but I didn't realize it was that much bigger! That's crazy!

Slight tangent, but another fun fact that I have to share. Until I met my wife (she grew up in Egypt), I assumed the pyramids in Egypt were in the middle of the desert. I mean, that's what all the pictures seem to show, right? Actually, the city of Cairo practically surrounds them. Photographers work hard to keep the city from showing up in the background. Check out this picture:

Imagine the sun sets on your apartment an hour earlier than it should because of the freaking pyramids casting a shadow over the city!

The world is a wild and amazing place. I'd like to think that as we band together to combat this virus that the world would grow closer. But, I'm also cynical enough and have seen enough that it'll probably have the opposite effect. Still, I can hope!

Posting Status: Available
Playing: Law of the Jungle || Recruiting: The Shattered Worlds

Last edited by DaMavster; 03-15-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:00 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11153
Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imveros View Post
Was going to a major LARP event, vacation time approved, hotel booked, BAM canceled :'(
I feel you, Imveros. The anniversary edition (50th!!) of the LARP I have been a part of for 14 years was also canceled, because the Dutch government has forbidden all events with 100+ people.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:35 PM
The red pandas are coming

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19550
LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA
Just popping in to post something I put up on Facebook, regarding the mortality rate of corona. It's being calculated using known deaths over known cases. I calculated the mortality rate for influenza last year in the US using that method, and got over 20%. The estimated cases are the vast, vast majority of the figure that goes into getting the commonly-cited 0.1% figure.

Luckily we've had a long time to study the flu and have a decent idea, but with this we really just don't know. It just bothers me to see comparisons between Deaths/Cases(Known) to Deaths/Cases(Estimated), especially when the difference between known and estimated cases can easily be over 100x.

But yes, flattening the curve is a great idea, it's better to be too careful than too reckless, and I'm going to go back to standing in line for toilet paper
Old 03-15-2020, 06:39 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11153
Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus
Some of the best memes I've seen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20200309-WA0001.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	83440   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20200228-WA0004.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	83441  

Last edited by Sedracus; 03-15-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:51 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 518
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
My brother, who has always had asthma and been prone to respiratory problems, may have COVID-19 now. Friday evening he developed a dry cough and what he describes as "a feeling like a heavy weight" in his chest. He went to Urgent Care, where they gave him tests for influenza A and B (both negative), but denied him a COVID test; due to scarcity of tests, they're only sending samples to the lab from people who have traveled out of the US in the last two weeks or who have been exposed to someone who has already tested positive. Showing symptoms doesn't rate a test, and of course no one can test positive when no one is being tested at all.

So he's isolating at home with the rest of his family. I phoned him today and his cough is awful, fever at 101.5F, but he's not showing signs of pneumonia so far. His kids are low-risk but his wife is immuno-compromised and pretty high-risk. Our mom had visited them earlier in the week and she's unquestionably high-risk due to her age, plus she took the plane home so she's a potential vector to a lot of other people. As a family, we're stuck in a holding pattern with no answers due to the lack of testing.

My area isn't taking coronavirus very seriously yet. Five confirmed cases in the county, people bought up toilet paper and hand sanitizer a few days ago, schools were closed on Thursday, my job and a lot of others switched to mostly telework, but bars and restaurants are still open. People are still going out, sending their kids over to other houses, and generally treating it like a couple of snow days in stead of a contagion alert. It's going to spread.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:49 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
I find it fascinating the million different decisions going on with companies....

X, Y and Z are shutting down. A and B are telecommuting. C, works goes on like normal.

As far as I can tell, my industry (heavy manufacturing) has restricted work travel, and nothing else. Life goes on in the plant/factory like normal.

Millions of different decisions.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:33 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
Thoughts and prayers going out to your family Corwin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMavster View Post
I knew Shanghai was big, but I didn't realize it was that much bigger! That's crazy!
If you are one in a million in China, that means there are 1400 people just like you.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:51 PM
She Whispers, Loneliness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12133
Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis
Welp, we've received an unofficial notice from a friend who my wife has been in contact with several times in the last week. The unofficial notice entails that the friend has been in contact with someone confirmed positive. I think we just went from social distancing to self-quarantine.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:05 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
Not attempting to make light of anything here, but... I was chatting with a neighbor Saturday over the fence, and realized that we (the people in my neighborhood) are all pretty damn socially isolated out here.

I don't interact with people except at work, and at home, it's my wife and I. We don't go out, we don't go to concerts or movies (the last movie I saw in a theater was Saving Private Ryan), we don't go to bars or other social venues. Pretty much, grocery store and Lowe's, work and home. Last trip to Costco was in early February, just a normal stock up. Was going to go this weekend (intending to have some company, but that fell apart with the travel bans). If we go out to eat, we tend to be one of four people in the place, it seems (even before this... we just seem to eat at places that aren't popular chain restaurants).

So, I am in my 5 acres of socially distancing woods... I'll spend it with my wife, our dogs, our cat, and some wood projects. I'll wave to my neighbor over the fence, and probably not see another human being for the week, because I am on vacation from work... and that's about normal for me.