Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-17-2020, 09:00 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 64450
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcontar View Post
I just wanted to wish everyone well.

Things are starting to escalate here in Australia. We're starting to get that sharp increase in cases, similar to Italy and U.S.

It's only a matter of time, in my opinion, until the government announces a lockdown. And I'm in a workplace that would probably just close its doors during a lockdown. It's frustrating, but people should remember that these kinds of extreme measures are what seems to have worked to control the virus in east Asia, and that it only needs to be in place for a few weeks for COVID-19 to be reined in.
Thanks @Tel

You be well too.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:36 PM
fires and floods

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34119
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek
Australia's stopped overseas travel, and limiting any gathering of over 100 people.

Not sure if that lockdown will increase soon. Still waiting to hear that my wife *isn't* going to fly interstate this weekend (I'm wanting that, she's still wanting to go...). But it's for a conference, and they would have had over 100 people...
Old 03-17-2020, 11:18 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37286
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
I was scheduled to go to NY this morning. I’m not personally worried about it — I’m not high risk and won’t be around people that are. I was obviously planning on taking precautions and not being near anyone.

Then they said no restaurants. OK, I could live on takeout for a couple days without an issue, BUT, then we (my company) decided there was too much of a chance I would get stuck there. I was afraid flights would be cancelled and I’d have no way back home (and it would be 30+ hours in a car, which would be problematic for a guy that had back surgery 5 weeks ago).

SO - I’m still at home waiting for stuff to happen. And growing more and more restless by the minute.

Last edited by Squeak; 03-17-2020 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:57 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1590
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
Well... dangit.

Went to work today to find out that a staff member was off sick and being tested for COVID-19.

By midday, I was experiencing cold-like symptoms myself, and decided to come home. In fact, it probably is a cold, but under the circumstances it didn't seem sensible to take the risk.

If it's just a cold, I should know within 24 hours. The symptoms are not very similar. I think a sore throat is the only symptom the two things have in common.

I think I'm going to order in big tubs of icecream and watch episodes of Deep Space 9.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:17 PM
Worm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1145
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
Yeah I have a sore throat too, and despite living in the ass end of portugal and not really leaving the farm that often I've spent the whole day convincing myself I have it. Plus I have sore muscles too, but likely just from extended physicial labour clearing brambles yesterday and moving uke poles today... right.. RIGHT?!

Portugal declared state of emergency tonight. Hopefully everyone wont be panic buying tomorroe which is (for me) the worst part about the whole thing- people freaking out and thinking they need to buy double everything which has a knock on effect to everyone else. It's hard not to get caught up in all that!

My mum was supposed to visit in may and bring us lots of things, stuff we ordered online and UK supermarket things we can't get here (tea bags!!! down to half a packet WTF am I gonna do?! D: )

So thats my experience so far. Hope everyone is satying safe & callllmmmm...

Playing- Sigil Moonchild, Agetha Rhyneheart | DMing- Law of the Jungle

Last edited by Wishkamon; 03-18-2020 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:42 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 501
Mectain Mectain Mectain Mectain Mectain Mectain
Hope everyone is staying safe and inside. My job in the US is in construction (doing maintenance work right now) and from what I've heard from management it is either "We need to panic" followed by "Just remain calm and come to work. It'll be ok." Grocery stores by me are selling out pretty much daily from people buys absurd amounts of goods.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:26 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1590
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
Quick update.

Rang work today. The other staff member who's off sick (with flu-like symptoms, apparently) tested negative to COVID-19. Huge relief. It gives me a lot more confidence that my own illness is just a cold or somesuch. And, frankly, my symptoms are not showing much similarity to COVID-19. It's just sore throat, sore eyes, congestion, sniffles, headache. No muscle ache, no fever, no respiratory distress. I'm 99% certain now it's just a head cold.

Last edited by Telcontar; 03-18-2020 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:18 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25717
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
In a nutshell you are safe Dirk.

Last edited by MoonZar; 03-19-2020 at 03:18 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:05 AM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7034
Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen
We have 6 people in our family company. I stayed home yesterday and today because the wife wasn't feeling well, our friend who works in the warehouse as well has stayed home 3 days because his fiance is sick, and one of the up front people (who is in his 60s) is now staying home until further notice because of his age group and his wife is immuno-compromised, and my father is staying home since he is 72. Which leaves two people there now. Man this thing is getting real scrappy doo.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:38 PM
Meet thy maker, sinner!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8671
creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed
I've been stuck in my apartment in the GTA for a few weeks now, and outside of one trip very early in the morning, haven't been out of my apartment building since the 3rd. Finding that my paranoia is up there, but other then that things are okish. Also glad they closed the border to non-essential people, although IMO it should have been done weeks ago.

I think we're starting to get a spike of cases here in Ontario, took long enough to clue in that community transmission is a thing. I've felt we've been lucky up here, but the luck was running out fast. I hope that the latest moves will stem things and prevent us from becoming an Italy 2.0, because if that's coming I'm getting the **** out of the city, even if i have to walk.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:08 PM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27049
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
Quote:
Originally Posted by creed View Post
I've been stuck in my apartment in the GTA for a few weeks now, and outside of one trip very early in the morning, haven't been out of my apartment building since the 3rd. Finding that my paranoia is up there, but other then that things are okish. Also glad they closed the border to non-essential people, although IMO it should have been done weeks ago.

I think we're starting to get a spike of cases here in Ontario, took long enough to clue in that community transmission is a thing. I've felt we've been lucky up here, but the luck was running out fast. I hope that the latest moves will stem things and prevent us from becoming an Italy 2.0, because if that's coming I'm getting the **** out of the city, even if i have to walk.
I'm liking the data on this page, especially this graph. Note that the y-axis is logarithmic, so a straight line shows exponential increase. The lines I highlighted could be seen as good news insofar as it looks like China had a faster uptake and has gotten things under control, or bad news because it looks like maybe North America and Europe (and the rest of the world) should have little to no expectation of controlling things as well as Japan (I wonder if it is cultural, there, in part?)

Canada is on the same line as the USA, and is looking a lot like Europe. It will be instructive to see where those lines start to level off. If you squint and tilt your computer you can imagine that it's starting to level out in Italy.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:09 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 64450
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Just returned from some errands and shopping, and I have to say, it's the first time I've really seen the bare shelves around here, that other people are sharing pictures of.

Meat seems to be popular, although WalMart still had a ton of Ham in the store. I easily found some chicken slices in the deli section, though, for sandwiches... plenty of items there, no shortage of bologna, ham/turkey/beef/chicken for sandwiches. Lots of shelf space was bare (bread seems hard hit, but oddly, only sliced bread... big sections of rolls, and buns, and loaves of italian/french bread), half the snack chips aisle was emtpy, but plenty of crackers and wheat thins. Lots of pasta still around, and soups are plentiful. Frozen food aisle is fine, not many empty spots except around the frozen pizza area.

It's kind of like the world all smoked weed, and then went shopping.

Can't find a green/bell pepper, however... no one seemed to have them, even the local farmer's stand down the road.

We'll be fine, though... we don't eat beef, rarely ever eat ham, and don't eat much chicken anymore (the deli sliced is my lunch treat). And oddly, there's plenty of tofu, Gardein, Morningstar Farms, and other plant based meatless products. Heck, Publix just had a buy one/get one sale last week on them, and we stocked up.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:58 PM
She Whispers, Loneliness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12133
Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birched View Post
.....squint and tilt your computer....
This is technical guidance, yes?
Old 03-19-2020, 03:59 PM
Big Piggy Pig Big Pig!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31569
PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG
We are both still working here in the States but my wife is 24 weeks pregnant and the CDC now consider pregnant women “high risk”. An early labor would be devastating. Most people will be fine if they catch it unless they have underlying health problems or are elderly. I’m still optimistic but obviously concerned for our unborn kid.

Well! Keep Calm and Carry On, guys. We’ll all make it.

Last edited by PIG; 03-19-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:05 PM
Big Piggy Pig Big Pig!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31569
PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcontar View Post
I think I'm going to order in big tubs of icecream and watch episodes of Deep Space 9.
Hear, hear!

Good call on staying home just in case, too.