Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-19-2020, 04:42 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 65642
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Can I say, I wish my company would pull the trigger, and send folks home...

I would still go to work, partially, just to get things done, but it would be so nice to do it without all the other people around interrupting, distracting, etc..

I would get soooo much done, and be so productive!
Old 03-19-2020, 05:09 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3775
RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja
I stayed home with a cold Monday-Wednesday, then called the company Medical department Wednesday afternoon to get permission to come back, per the new guidelines. Instead they deactivated my pass for the rest of the week, and told me to keep working from home.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:14 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1602
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birched View Post
The lines I highlighted could be seen as good news insofar as it looks like China had a faster uptake and has gotten things under control, or bad news because it looks like maybe North America and Europe (and the rest of the world) should have little to no expectation of controlling things as well as Japan (I wonder if it is cultural, there, in part?)
One of the WHO epidemiologists that went to China stated, in an interview, that they believed that the dropoff in China was not a natural progression of the disease, per se, but a factor of how the Chinese people pretty much 'went to war' with the virus. Same with the responses, and consequent 'flattening of the curve', in many east Asian countries.

Last edited by Telcontar; 03-19-2020 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:40 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3408
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Was speaking to a German friend today, she got into a fight with someone while trying to buy food for her grandmother and had to resort to breaking the guy's hand before he let go of her.

What the ****, man?
Old 03-19-2020, 08:52 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1524
Mack Mack Mack Mack Mack Mack Mack Mack Mack Mack Mack
I work as a children's and family pastor in KY. We have canceled services for last week and this week. Tonight the Governor announced that all church gatherings are postponed. I thought I would have more free time this week, but being the "IT guy" for our church, I have spent my week learning how to live stream and make it look good. It has been a crazy week.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:31 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37613
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
I’m on the IT team at my church and we are doing the same thing... We’ve been streaming for a while, but the audience has been in the single digits. Now the fear is that we’ll still be sequestered during Easter.

My job involves selling product to major retailers. We have been in absolute scramble mode as retailers are all closing down and cancelling ALL of their orders. JCP, Macy’s, Belk, TJMaxx/Homegoods, Stein mart, Ross, and others have all closed their doors temporarily, The retail industry was hanging by a thread before all this happened, I am pretty sure it is going to put some of the weaker retailers out of business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by telcontar View Post
One of the WHO epidemiologists that went to China stated, in an interview, that they believed that the dropoff in China was not a natural progression of the disease, per se, but a factor of how the Chinese people pretty much 'went to war' with the virus. Same with the responses, and consequent 'flattening of the curve', in many east Asian countries.
I spend a lot of time in China and can also say with a pretty high degree of confidence that the numbers you are hearing coming out of China are probably not accurate. They took a huge hit to their economy already and would not allow it continue indefinitely.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:20 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1524
Mack Mack Mack Mack Mack Mack Mack Mack Mack Mack Mack
That is my fear also. I have heard that it will not be till Mother's Day weekend that things get back to normal. I hope that is not the case. Our retail world is going to be crazy coming out of this.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:22 AM
fires and floods

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34465
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek
Australia's numbers are doubling every 4 days, at the moment, but it's been holding pretty steady at that rate. Lots of offices are working in shift (half the office working from home, the other half in, and swap now and then). Churches are closing (including all the programs), schools have closed anything that's not an actual class (dance / sports / even NAPLAN, a nationwide test). And our Prime Minister gives $715 million to the aircraft industry. So, naturally, QANTAS decides to let go of 20,000 workers (2/3 of their workforce?), and they get told to go work stacking shelves...
Old 03-20-2020, 06:44 AM
Big Piggy Pig Big Pig!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31819
PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG
@hvg: Do you think the airline exec’s are still gonna get their bonuses?

Last edited by PIG; 03-20-2020 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:09 AM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 65642
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG View Post
yup.

bonuses come from shareholder happiness. that Exec just kept them from losing their shares. They will be happy.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:59 AM
Big Piggy Pig Big Pig!

Tools
User Statistics

Back to the virus, I also hope they send me home. So much work to do.... and I can concentrate on DMing, the most important part.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:33 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG View Post
Whilst I'm not exactly the world's biggest fan of Alan Joyce - in fact, I think comparisons to weasels are unfair on weasels - he and the other top dogs at Qantas have agreed to work without remuneration for 6 months, or until the COVID-19 crisis has run its course.

Last edited by Telcontar; 03-20-2020 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:48 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
I spend a lot of time in China and can also say with a pretty high degree of confidence that the numbers you are hearing coming out of China are probably not accurate. They took a huge hit to their economy already and would not allow it continue indefinitely.
So, umm, if you want to exclude the data from China - and I completely understand people's scepticism when it comes to China - you could instead look at South Korea, Japan and Singapore.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:00 PM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27267
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcontar View Post
So, umm, if you want to exclude the data from China - and I completely understand people's scepticism when it comes to China - you could instead look at South Korea, Japan and Singapore.
The early doubling rate in those places was lower (EDIT: not in South Korea -- they seem to have started fast and caught it!). Why? Was it measures taken? Was it a societal difference? Is it because they were infected earlier so there were fewer people coming in internationally to create more infections? I'm not sure, but when I look at the graphs of North America and Europe, it looks like we missed our chance at starting slow....
Old 03-20-2020, 03:19 PM
Big Piggy Pig Big Pig!

Tools
User Statistics
@telcontar: Over here in the States the Senate is also racing to create a bill that would bail the airlines but prevent bonuses to the top. I’ll bet there’s ways around it over the years though . But I’m glad that this Joyce guy has agreed with as much so far.

@Squeak: With the tariff wars and now the virus, the world just keeps playing ping pong with you, Squeak!!

Last edited by PIG; 03-20-2020 at 03:19 PM.