Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-19-2020, 12:20 PM
A bird,a plan-Nalpadriba!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1382
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Your 1st Character Death

Reading RPG Crossing old threads and games has become one of my Covid-19-time diversions; thanks to y'all for years of witty and original posts. Here's a theme I'd love to hear from people about.

Tell me about your first character ... and how they died.

Your very first long-term role-playing game character, in whatever system or universe it was. The one whose loss you still mourn.

Now there are some of you, lucky few, whose Spelljammer space captain might have retired to some luxury asteroid after years of successful intergalactic pirating. And there are others of you whose Bunnies & Burrows rabbit might have died of old age, plump and happy with the smell of clover on their bunny breath. Well, good for you; but this thread ain't for you.

This is for those of us who can still remember the die roll, the trap revealed, the NPC betrayal or whatever bit of gameplay led to the death of the character you spent hours creating and sketching. I want to hear how great your first long-term character was ... and how terrible their death.

Let's give them the RPG Crossing eulogy they deserve.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:49 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 64350
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
My first character that I really remember was a human fighter named Milo. I don't recall him being killed, I think he survived the summer, and simply "died" when the game ended, and everyone left camp and went home. He was certainly the first PC that I was truly vested in... had a story, had a tiny bit of character (not much, looking back, but some), and that I actually cared about... mostly because he was the first PC I really got to play for more than one game session. I got to play Milo for about 8 weeks, several nights a week, during summer camp (staff).

I know I had many others, prior to him, but they tended to be whipped up in a single game session, and forgotten when dinner came and the game ended. We just whipped up new ones next time, because you never knew who was going to be available to play, or even whose house we would be playing at.

I would say that more of my games have died, than PC's in the games.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:13 PM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2074
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
My first game was Pathfinder, and my first character a strix monk named Akeen. He was a stick-in-the-mud type with an unflinching view on what he thought was the proper way of things, and an oh-slightly-edgy backstory about being exiled from his flock and pursuing a vendetta against a crazy bad guy. My RP was spotty and I was useless in combat for ages until I figured out that tripping is goddamn awesome, so he was very much my training wheels.

He died in an inter-party PvP as he tried to make a decision that affected a lot of people all at once. Basically, we came across a grippli hooked up to a magic device in an abandoned mage's tower; the device powered a protective enchantment around a whole forest full of vulnerable creatures, but required grippli, ahem, 'expenditure' to work. Akeen, declaring it an abomination, unplugged the device and killed the enchantment, leaving that whole forest vulnerable. The rest of the party tried to stop him, things escalated, and our morally sketchy barb got a killing blow in.

I could have saved him with hero points, or the barb could have been convinced to retro his attack as non-lethal. I decided to roll with it and let the death happen. Akeen died by his own hubris; it felt appropriate. And the next character I made remains one of my favorite.

Playing: After the Quake, Tenmen, Sky Realm, Ultraviolet Grasslands
I've taken the Oath.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:09 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4600
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
Mine was actually pretty recent, since I don't play so much as I DM. This character was for a Ravnica game run by two of my usual players Co-DMing.

My character was a Golgari Devkarin (Dark Elf) Spore Druid, with Magic Initiate (Warlock). For the life of me - I can't remember his name. Let's call him "Steve". "Steve" had accepted his own death pre-session-1. He's surrounded by it back at home, and is always covered in fungi.

Along for the ride was a flaky warlock (only there for half the sessions), a cleric who was kinda stuck in the Bless, Cure Wounds, and Sacred Flame were his three spells for the entire campaign."heal/buff bot" mindset, a rogue played by the DM not in the hotseat, and a sorcerer who did their job fine.

The DMs were both pretty new to it; with one of them having run a few short campaigns, and the other being brand new. Their newness to the game brought some interesting challenges with it.

For example, they had a habit of throwing monsters our way that were way that were way too strong in a swingy way - such as the CR16(?) Skittering Horror from GGtR, against a group of Level 6-7 players. Another example is handing us a bunch of jokey magic items online that totally I had gotten a minature crown/bracelet that had 50% chance of ducks flocking to "Steve" every morning. The party was mortified when I'd use the duckies as handy tradegoods.clashed with the world of Ravnica a fair bit. One item in particular was a grenade that had a random table ofA naked old man appears! Fireball! Summon a Black Pudding! silly or dangerous results, given to that flaky warlock.

As the usual DM, I wanted to support their game as much as I could... not stomp on any of their fun... while also not being in the limelight and letting the other players shine... while also trying not to let the DMs accidentally TPK us...

For example, when the Skittering Horror came in, I knew it for what it was - and helped the party survive the encounter by abusing the monster's action economy and size by clogging the field with Conjure Animals and dodging; and holding my bonus action for Healing Word if anyone else got clipped.Considering the party composition, I ended up in the very strange position of playing a casting, healing, tank.

How "Steve" the Golgari Elf Died: So the party is down in the sewers, and on the way, ends up in the lair of a medusa who can will her statues to life. It's a tough fight at first, avoiding eye-contact with the medusa while avoiding the slams of her golems. There's a lot of non-moving statues around that make maneuvering and positioning around the battlefield challenging, and provides the very sneaky medusa lots of places to hide and take cover. "Steve" is on the front lines, slowly getting petrified, but holding back the statues from the casters in back. "Steve" is soon surrounded by statues.

...And then the warlock throws the lolrandom grenade. Within twenty feet of "Steve", suddenly, there's a black pudding, and the closest warm body is "Steve's", and there's only one safe passage out of the room.

Out of character, the DM laughs a little, brings up the Pud's stat block, then is sweating a bit. It's a real wrench in this already deadly encounter. Meanwhile, I'm just like "You know what the black pudding does. Do it." It glorps closer, then pokes me with a psuedopod. Let me just say, 1d6+4d8+3 damage hurts a lot.

"Steve" tells the others to run- and tries his best to escape. The cleric only has Cure Wounds, not Healing Word - he can't get closer without being in danger. No one else can heal, only blast.

"Steve" held the monsters back, but fell beneath the slams of animated statues and the oozy touch of a surprise pudding.

In the days following, the party ventured down into the sewers again, and found a few of his effects, but nothing else.

I wasn't mad at all. It was a fun and heroic moment, and a good teaching moment I think. After that, I made a paladin that suited the party's needs a little better.

Last edited by Inuvash255; 03-20-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:20 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 130
Goldmyr Goldmyr
My first character death was a rogue named Vizier. Vizier and the party's dragonborn sorcerer had some issues between them, but so far they had been working together okay. That changed when we entered the secret lair of some cultists. There were two jobs to do, and splitting the party was a must to accomplish both of them. The heavy hitters were going to take the fight to the leader while Vizier and the sorcerer were to disable an artifact. The mission started out well as Vizier took guards out without being seen. However once we got inside the artifact room, things took a turn for the worst. We got surrounded, and when the fight was done, Vizier was unconscious, but stable, and the dragonborn was barely standing. He did his magic thing to shut the artifact down, then decided that he was tired of his feud with Vizier. Instead of bringing the rogue back to the rendezvous point, the dragonborn stomped in the head of the unconscious rogue.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:39 PM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6984
Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen
I think my first death was ironically within 15 minutes of starting a campaign my cousin was Dm'ing. We were on the outskirts of a village and I was playing a warlock I believe, in pathfinder. We were having fun and got talking about busting kneecaps and such and one thing led to another and I cast a fireball (Eldritch blast) on a farm house. I probably ticked off my cousin because this all led to my eventual capital punishment and I was forced to re-roll a character.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:29 PM
A bird,a plan-Nalpadriba!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1382
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Mark the Ranger was my first character in AD&D, you know...that system our older brothers and their friends played and finally allowed our group of middle school hangers-on to join after we were bored with all the adventurers in our Basic edition. I populated an entire village of mediocre-stat characters before I finally rolled the 18 and solid 17 I wanted for Mark. And once I created him, I obsessively budgeted and weighed each item that he purchased; I had detailed descriptions of how he looked and knew his entire life history.

When we finally began to play, I counted every arrow Mark shot, could tell you how many rations were in his pack at any time, and how many coins of each type he carried. His character sheet, on white-ruled school paper, was worn bare from scratch marks, erasing, tracking the rise and fall of his hit points and more.

Mark and his regular party had a few close calls in the early dungeons, mostly random monster encounters that we almost didn't believe when the DM announced the results. We lost a thief. We lost the player, too. (Oh well, he had just got his first drum set anyway and wouldn't emerge from his basement until he was 16.) But, eventually, our entire party grew powerful enough to survive ... and we, as players, grew clever enough to refuse the DM when he suggested playing a new, power-death module. Okay, so we picked and chose our battles, but because of that our characters survived and leveled up with experience and treasure. They hired hordes of retainers. They began building castles and forming armies. They were the Little Lords of Greyhawk.

Things slowed down in high school. We were busier. We had cars, dates, band trips and more athletic events. But one magic weekend, somehow, everyone's schedules aligned ... so we gathered at the home of the new thief (well, a thief-acrobat this time) and sat down for a marathon overnight session. After all, there were a few magic items in the books that we still didn't own.

The trouble began after what I seem to remember as about two hours of play. Our cavalier went down from a sidewall trap. Our cleric brought him back and we all gave the DM the side eye. Then our NPCs began being picked off. Some went down to darts. Others to disappearing floors. NPC losses weren't a tragedy, but we had grown fond of some of them, and one, in particular, was on fire that night--he had saved our cleric and Mark by reaching out and grabbing them as they would have otherwise slid into a 50-foot drop and landed on sharpened spikes. Around midnight in real life time, the thief-acrobat player died in battle and disappeared for awhile (presumably to raid the host's basement freezer or kitchen cabinets) and we began looking for exits for our players.

That's when the assassinations began.

At first, we thought it might be the samurai character, but he died off and those of us left became suspicious of one another, as characters and players. Mark was one of the last to go down, stabbed in the back by the same NPC who had earlier pulled him up from the trap.

I've had decades of real life since that night. And there have been a few rough times, as well as some very bad times. But there was never a betrayal that came as out of the blue and hit me in the gut as much as that one, the one to Mark that night.

That gaming session was meant to be an all-night, overnight sleepover D&D romp, but it turned into our introduction to the total party kill. I think I stayed through to the morning, others quit the house early, but we all returned to our homes stunned, with cross lines through our character's names.

After that experience, we still gathered as a group a few times to play around the table. But never again with that particular DM. We all remained friends with the DM, more or less, but something had happened that we couldn't put into words, something that was linked to his deliberate murder of our first great characters. Looking back, that seems petty. And maybe the others didn't take their character's death as hard as I did, but I think for at least a few hours or minutes they did. You understand, right?
Old 04-04-2020, 09:33 AM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6984
Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabadger View Post
Mark the Ranger was my first character in AD&D, you know...that system our older brothers and their friends played and finally allowed our group of middle school hangers-on to join after we were bored with all the adventurers in our Basic edition. I populated an entire village of mediocre-stat characters before I finally rolled the 18 and solid 17 I wanted for Mark. And once I created him, I obsessively budgeted and weighed each item that he purchased; I had detailed descriptions of how he looked and knew his entire life history.

When we finally began to play, I counted every arrow Mark shot, could tell you how many rations were in his pack at any time, and how many coins of each type he carried. His character sheet, on white-ruled school paper, was worn bare from scratch marks, erasing, tracking the rise and fall of his hit points and more.

Mark and his regular party had a few close calls in the early dungeons, mostly random monster encounters that we almost didn't believe when the DM announced the results. We lost a thief. We lost the player, too. (Oh well, he had just got his first drum set anyway and wouldn't emerge from his basement until he was 16.) But, eventually, our entire party grew powerful enough to survive ... and we, as players, grew clever enough to refuse the DM when he suggested playing a new, power-death module. Okay, so we picked and chose our battles, but because of that our characters survived and leveled up with experience and treasure. They hired hordes of retainers. They began building castles and forming armies. They were the Little Lords of Greyhawk.

Things slowed down in high school. We were busier. We had cars, dates, band trips and more athletic events. But one magic weekend, somehow, everyone's schedules aligned ... so we gathered at the home of the new thief (well, a thief-acrobat this time) and sat down for a marathon overnight session. After all, there were a few magic items in the books that we still didn't own.

The trouble began after what I seem to remember as about two hours of play. Our cavalier went down from a sidewall trap. Our cleric brought him back and we all gave the DM the side eye. Then our NPCs began being picked off. Some went down to darts. Others to disappearing floors. NPC losses weren't a tragedy, but we had grown fond of some of them, and one, in particular, was on fire that night--he had saved our cleric and Mark by reaching out and grabbing them as they would have otherwise slid into a 50-foot drop and landed on sharpened spikes. Around midnight in real life time, the thief-acrobat player died in battle and disappeared for awhile (presumably to raid the host's basement freezer or kitchen cabinets) and we began looking for exits for our players.

That's when the assassinations began.

At first, we thought it might be the samurai character, but he died off and those of us left became suspicious of one another, as characters and players. Mark was one of the last to go down, stabbed in the back by the same NPC who had earlier pulled him up from the trap.

I've had decades of real life since that night. And there have been a few rough times, as well as some very bad times. But there was never a betrayal that came as out of the blue and hit me in the gut as much as that one, the one to Mark that night.

That gaming session was meant to be an all-night, overnight sleepover D&D romp, but it turned into our introduction to the total party kill. I think I stayed through to the morning, others quit the house early, but we all returned to our homes stunned, with cross lines through our character's names.

After that experience, we still gathered as a group a few times to play around the table. But never again with that particular DM. We all remained friends with the DM, more or less, but something had happened that we couldn't put into words, something that was linked to his deliberate murder of our first great characters. Looking back, that seems petty. And maybe the others didn't take their character's death as hard as I did, but I think for at least a few hours or minutes they did. You understand, right?
Oh I could understand that if I had a campaign go that long. I've had ones with my cousin go as long as a year and you can get attached over a period of time. If someone did that to me, yeah it would bother me for a while.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:42 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14431
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
My first character was a thief named Dengarth under the original (blue box) Basic D&D rules. He was crafty and a good complement to the rest of the party. He was killed tragically when Santa Claus dropped an AD&D Player's Handbook down my chimney and I realized that class and race could be different things and that level progression didn't have to end at 3. Though there was a thought to resuscitate Dengarth within this new reality, his fate was sealed by the shiny new classes I'd never seen before, especially Ranger. I suspect there were more than a few beloved first characters killed in this way during the late 1970s.

(Actually, Dengarth died by a save or die poison needle trap, but that was just before the AD&D switch and I did decline to recreate Dengarth as an AD&D character when the DM suggested it).

Last edited by ruffdove; 04-04-2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:15 PM
do you smell smoke?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1859
Zagros Zagros Zagros Zagros Zagros Zagros Zagros Zagros Zagros Zagros Zagros
First death... I had a 2e Dragonlance mage named... um... yeah we'll go with "Joe". Joe was low level, and as we all know low level mages, especially in 2e with their one or two daily spells, are super whimpy. Joe had gotten a wand of wonder, and as many at that point would do, it was "pew pew" this and "pew pew" that. This led to a few interesting situations, like a flock of butterflies followed by a gust of wind that suffocated a band of attacking goblins. However, I got pretty annoying with always using the wand. Anyway, Joe reached 3rd level and my DM planned an elaborate series of events for my mage to take the Test of High Sorcery for the Red Robes. I forgot to tell him that I couldn't make our next Friday session, and he summarily killed my character and kicked me out of the group between 2nd and 3rd periods.

I never played with them again, but did start another group that I DM'ed for the rest of middle school and into high school, until M:tG came out.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:09 AM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9549
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
The first longterm character I consider it a death even though the DM interfered and made her imortaldeath that effected me in any way was a bard in 3rd edition(before 3.5 came out). I remember I had forgotten to write a name down, and my DM wrote down The movie 'A Long Kiss Goodnight' had just come out and is where he got the idea.Amnesia Chick so Amn the amnesiac Bard was born. She played a steel mandolin and had a penchant for starting barfight's and wielding said steel mandolin as a weapon with much glee. She also carried a Katana that she fumbled with a lot, and thanks to my DM's brutal fumble chart had cut off her right ear and a good amount of flesh surrounding the ear. Yea, she almost killed herself then.

Exploring a ruin for some trinket, Amn died to a Thri'kreen throwing star that was bigger than her head that had literally cut her in half with a crit, followed by a crit, followed by a third crit that was instant death by the rules our DM was using. My DM said after the fight she was found alive but unconscious and that my character was one of the immortal ancients...then he said he was moving away for a much better job. I was happy for him and his new job and I liked where the idea for my character was going, but him leaving killed the game and any hope of exploring that RP angle as I'm not one to export characters to other games. I've mentioned before my dislike of DM's saving characters from certain death, and this is where that mentality started for me.

Rolling three 20's in a row is rare and should be honored, and so, as far as I am concerned, Amn the amnesiac Bard died that day.

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterSun - Fri: NORMAL / Fri & Sat: UNAVAILABLE
Old 04-07-2020, 05:16 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1008
Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson
Great thread idea BB!

So I've had a couple of character deaths before this one, but this is the first one that carried any emotional impact for me. I'm playing Rook, the quintessential knight in shining armor, in 3.5 D&D. Using flaws, his human-ness, and possibly some other shenanigans, Rook had lots of feats for a character of his level (somewhere around 6th level , if I remember correctly).

He was decked in the finest full plate at all times, heavy shields, and some feats plus maybe a magic item to boost his armor to the highest levels possible. The DM makes it publicly known that he doesn't much care for the character, but I love him. As my first dive into rulebooks other than the core set, Rook is my magnum opus. Anyways, he's got a horse, and he's got a lance, and he's using his long reach, combat reflexes, hold the line, shield bashing and etcetera to protect my squishy party members by locking down huge chunks of the battlefield (for those of you unfamiliar with 3.5 mechanics: he can stab anything in about 720 cubic feet, with melee weapons!)

So long story short, we're going into some evil place (can't remember the details) when gargoyles start pouring out of this hallway at us. The hall is wide enough for around 3 of them to march shoulder to shoulder towards us, but we're not too concerned. The first ones looked cracked and chipped, they're small, they've clearly been through battles already and haven't healed up yet. While dispatching them, bigger and better gargoyles come. It's a hard fight, but eventually it seems like we'll push through. Then bigger ones show up, such that they can't fit shoulder to shoulder and they're coming in stacks (by flying). Things are looking suddenly very, very deadly and we obviously need to retreat. Problem is, my other squishy party members are slow (halfling, gnome, and dwarf) and nearly dead besides. Rook is still in decent shape, but if he runs, the rest of the party will almost certainly be slaughtered.

The knight makes his final stand blocking the hallway. He grimly tells the rest of the party to "Run, and don't look back!" Though he fights valiantly for many rounds he is eventually overwhelmed by the stampede, but not before almost everyone else makes it safely back to the horses outside (someone accidentally triggered a previously bypassed trap). He died a gruesome but valiant death protecting his friends.

I'm very proud of Rook, and how I played him. Really felt like he was a "true hero", rather than other unsavory characters I played before him. He was lots of fun.

Last edited by Crimson; 04-08-2020 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Punctuation's fail ;)
Old 04-16-2020, 11:53 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 161
goatbread goatbread
2 year + ongoing campaign deaths

We've been playing a campaign, homebrew, half of the group in person, half remote for more than 2 years, almost every week. Pretty awesome!

Needless to say, we've had some death. But none permanently yet! My character died twice, first time immolated, second time in a vat of enchanting acid, haha. But first time was revivified, second resurrected. But just the other week, another party member was disintegrated, so only Wish or True Resurrection could've brought him back. EXCEPT our lvl 12 cleric did Divine Intervention and rolled an 8! So he was resurrected!

Amazing. The only time it has worked haha.