Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-29-2020, 07:43 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10945
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
Thank you all for the perspectives. I appreciate the time taken to chime in, and the food for thought. I have much to consider.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:43 AM
Anonymous Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5641
Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien
Why should there be a right and a wrong? I think there is a continuum of techniques that players employ in writing their characters between the two poles you mention, instinctive simulation and conscious, intellectual construction. I don't see why any point in this continuum would be less valid than any other. What matters is the result - a good story, and consistent portrayal of an interesting character; and enjoyment for yourself and others! And to suppose that that would be unachievable on the "intellectual" path seems very wrong to me - some of the best writers I've had the pleasure of playing with here appear to be meticulous constructors.

Last edited by Mairien; 03-30-2020 at 02:51 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:38 AM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 43125
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
I think the question has more to do with the feeling of it being 'wrong'? If you're having trouble on some fundamental level with your fellow players/GMs it may be hard to pinpoint where the feeling comes from, and for that I hope people will pause, take a mental step back, and reconsider what you're having trouble with. Is it that the characters don't mesh well? That's an IC challenge, not something 'wrong' OOC. Are you having trouble empathizing with players who are emotionally involved in their characters to the point where they get angry when bad things happen? That may be a problem to discuss OOC. On some level, most RPGs are going to have bad things happen. If your peers can't handle that, it sounds like they should be aiming for different sorts of games. I would hope that a calm discussion could improve this, but it may depend entirely on where the friction between players may be.

Personally, the only time my writing tends to feel wrong or just harder is when my depression has flared up. In times like these, I know I'm less than 100% just from the moment I wake up. How far up or down that scale can vary drastically depending on the day. That's harder to make suggestions, just because everyone is different and their stresses differ along with them. There is also a depression support thread which many of us have used over the years to express what we're worried about, what stresses are suddenly popping up, and so forth. If a public thread is too much, consider finding a place to put a private one so you and some other players you get along with can unload everything that's crushing you and talk about it. Talking about it is always hard, but in my experience, it's also the only way to move forward.

Stay safe, everyone.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:50 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethera View Post
I think the question has more to do with the feeling of it being 'wrong'?
Nail. Head. Strike.

Ironically, as much as many of us may express a tendency toward intellectual expression, human beings are not entirely rational creatures. Perception of how something is done/received can be wholly divorced from reality. Feelings are weird.

And, as the title of the thread specifically calls out, it's a feeling. Objectively, there might not be a right or wrong. That doesn't mean the feeling is any less present.

But the discussion above at least indicates that the perception is not necessarily unique.

Thank you.

Last edited by Ziether; 03-30-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:07 AM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4600
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
I think I get what you're at Ziether.

I run into the problem a lot with NPCs (I DM a lot in live games and on here). Since I spend less time in their shoes, I'm often thinking, "What would [character] do here?".

With my own player characters, I tend to shortcut it a little by having a couple personality "It's something I'm aware that I do, and I'm not sure if I like it, or if I think it's cheap...gimmicks". At first, I lean hard into it, and that makes answering that question easy "They'd do that gimmick!" - but as the RP goes on, they tend to soften and get a bit more I don't want the gimmick to get stale... but then I wonder if I'm even roleplaying any more, or just doing what I want that character to do!subtle.

Occasionally I'm reminded that I must be "channeling" a consistent character a bit based on other player/character reactions - but it's not as though I've had the experience of a character writing a poem in-universe quite like you've done.

Honestly, I think as long as you're having fun roleplaying your character and everyone else is too, you're "doing it right". If you happen to have that moment where you feel really close to your character, that's just a cherry on top of the sundae.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:57 PM
Anonymous Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5641
Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethera View Post
I think the question has more to do with the feeling of it being 'wrong'?
If you feel like X, then being very keenly aware that X is not, in fact, the case can help identify the feeling as unfounded and eventually dispel it. Feelings need not be just be taken as a given - they can be questioned and, within certain bounds, modified by direct attention when found undesirable and harmful. Which it seems to me that this feeling is, as it destroys enjoyment of things.

Last edited by Mairien; 03-30-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:00 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 130
Goldmyr Goldmyr
I can say that I'm also not one to totally get emotionally attached to my characters, but being GM most of the time, I guess I'm really not supposed to. The few times that I am a player, I can only describe the roleplaying as "thinking through the personality." I know the personalities and quirks of the characters I play and I think of it as a puzzle to pair the different personality traits with the situation. I know it's just an extension of my own inclination to think through stressful situations, but it does feel weird to know that my approach to creative experiences is to think it through.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:22 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37236
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
I AM someone who can get emotionally attached to characters. But honestly, I think it is as more about the thought and effort I put into building a character themselves as it is to the character itself.

I typically spend a lot of time thinking about and then building a concept before I play it. And even then, I have times where I build a character and just can’t get into it.., I’ve actually backed out of games for that reason before. I would say that most of the PC’s that I have enjoyed playing the most came from Outplay or very competitive application processes, where I was force to think through my character concept in depth.

If I have a PC that I have thought a lot about and feel very comfortable with, I can rip off a great quality post in 10 minutes. If it one that I haven’t done the work on, it can take hours to write a short, mediocre post.

For me, creating a PC is escaping into another reality. I have found that critical to any PC I play, there has to be one or more flaw — and the flaw is as or more important than what the character can actually do. When I have a PC that has problems and in-game I am able to somehow improve on them, it makes me enjoy the character all the more. So whether it is a cowardly bard who can’t sing, a confused kobold that understand little of soft-skin culture or an arrogant ogre mage with an over-inflated sense of self worth —- a character never starts out as a blank slate, the joy is how I am able to build on it based on circumstance. And yes, when I spend days thinking of a concept, I DO become connected to it.

SO — to sum up my personal experience. I tend to get out of my PC’s what I put into them. How much thought/time/effort do you put into your PC outside of building the character sheet?

Last edited by Squeak; 04-01-2020 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:50 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post

How much thought/time/effort do you put into your PC outside of building the character sheet?
That is a good question. I confess it really does vary between characters, often based on how much a GM gives me to work with. If there is a lot to connect to and I have a solid feel for the tone of the game, I can create some good ones. That could be something I need to consider. Often I return to RPGX after life has kicked me down and I take on something I think I can get accepted to (not necessarily something bad) rather than investing a few months to wait for something truly worthwhile to pop up.

I'm also not the kind to have many long-term static Original Characters. I was completely unaware of that concept until a few years ago in my dabbling elsewhere, and it's still hard for me to recycle the cores of my old characters. That means anything I don't find heavy inspiration for only gets the attention I am willing to spare that particular ad.

[CENSORED CHARACTER NO LONGER APPROPRIATE FOR RPG CROSSING] is a person to me.
Cesare is a person to me.
Wes (a non-game roleplay character of mine) is a person to me.

I can't say as any of the other characters in the past five years are.

So I should probably start there and only create characters if I'm going to be able to invest thirty hours in making them real before they're needed.

Thank you.

Last edited by Ziether; 04-08-2020 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Removing reference to inappropriate content
Old 04-02-2020, 04:14 AM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37236
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
That’s what I do, but it is far from foolproof. Sometimes I invest that much into a character and it just doesn’t work. The concept is good, but I just don’t feel it when I am writing it.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:22 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2524
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
I can't even begin to describe what my chargen process is like, I kind of take the narrative designer side of me and go with the approach of "What can they do mechanically?" and build around that, I think my easiest example of this would be Ra-Anno. Who is a cursed character as every MASKs game I play with them ends after session 2.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:52 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1464
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziether View Post
Often I return to RPGX after life has kicked me down and I take on something I think I can get accepted to (not necessarily something bad) rather than investing a few months to wait for something truly worthwhile to pop up.
There's no right way or wrong way, I can only say that for me I personally take the exact opposite approach. I wait, and wait, and wait. A lot of the games I pass over seem pretty good, actually... they're just not for me. I might send the GM some RPXP for creating an amazing concept and game ad, but not apply.

And every now and then a game ad comes along and I instantly go, "Yes, that one!" When that happens, it's so blindingly obvious to me. And then I hit the application for the game hard, investing quite a lot of time and effort into it. And if I don't get accepted, I don't treat that as wasted time, because I like creating characters. It's like writing a story. You can still take pride in your creation, even if it never gets published.

Last edited by Telcontar; 04-14-2020 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:50 PM
neighbor to the beast.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12676
goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal
I think safety tools can help with figuring out any different expectations people have of how the game will work.

Here is an example:
https://www.lasersandliches.com/safety
Old 04-27-2020, 10:45 AM
Silly Little Rabbit

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8132
Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983
Well, you might try playing a cerebral, cool-headed character, with minimal emotions. I don't know if you would enjoy that but it seems like it would avoid the having to imagine emotions and instincts part.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:53 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 64350
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Vulcans and warforged?