twitter facebook

Notices

Old 04-25-2020, 12:09 AM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9386
Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy
Awesome! I had planned to cover the 200 word RPGs and such but PbtA is a good add. Lots of good ideas and reinforcement of ideas I already had. Y’all are exactly why I love this site!
Old 04-25-2020, 05:28 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1008
Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson
First of all, I just want to say that you guys run a great show and I look forward to the next one! I especially appreciate how open to feedback you are, which is a very good characteristic to have in my book. Here's my ideas...

Session 0 -What is it? Why is it important? Is it important? Are there times when you would skip it? What do Scimmy and Kingmonkey go over in Session 0? What should I go over as a DM/player? How often do we repeat Session 0, if ever? Will there be a prequel called "Session -1"?

Know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em -Sometimes games will not go the way you wanted or expected them to go. Friction happens between players and GM's alike. Discuss the tipping point/grey area between where you can try to fix the game, and when you should just cut your losses and move on to your next group.

Compare/contrast similar systems -Some systems are suspiciously similar. You might go over the differences and similarities between them, from a mechanics standpoint. Could help people transition smoothly to other games, not too far out of their comfort zone.

Obscure (or underappreciated) system spotlight -As others mentioned above, you could get into summaries of lesser known systems here. Probably wouldn't want to do a whole show on this, but maybe just briefly cover one system per episode? I'm not super-familiar with any myself (that's why I'm listening to your show, right?), but a new player recently talked a good game about Lancer. Because "mechs are awesome", in the words of Marshmallow!

RPGx Resources -This could also be called "Why we're better than Roll20/Giant in the Playground/Mythweavers/etc." RPGx features tools galore, Explosive Runes, the library, this very radio podcast, new player solo games, and epic multi-system spanning mass game contests, just new name a few things off the top of my head. Help people remember why they're here in the first place by leveraging our resources.

5e discussion or Pathfinder discussion -Undeniably, most of your audience is playing (or looking to play) these systems. Cater to their interests by featuring them in your program. Discuss rule minutiae, the future of the systems, free resources for these games from Wizards or Paizo (or the other sites I just finished dissing above lol), and why they are so darn popular in the first place.

This Thread -Don't forget to mention this thread. Anyone dissatisfied with the content who hasn't posted here will have only themselves to blame.

Last edited by Crimson; 04-25-2020 at 05:34 AM. Reason: (multiple) Grammar failures, errors and omissions.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:24 AM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the thoughts! Lots of good ideas and I’m excited to see how it all develops. The current format may not be the final one, we are trying to create a group of intro stuff for your basics in being part of the site, and then we may mix it up. I’m still unhappy with things so expect tweaks as we go!
Old 04-25-2020, 06:26 AM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2074
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
It would be interesting to talk about system families in general. So PbtA as the obvious main one, but also perhaps Genesys, BRP (not just CoC but others like Runequest/Mythras), a recap on Fate's versatility, Forged in the Dark, etc. It'd be wonderful to talk about more obscure stuff like the One-Roll Engine but that might be asking a bit much.

As far as specific systems go, I love the current recommendations and could add:
- Mouseguard / Burning Wheel
- Fragged Empire (point of national pride for me, as a fellow Aussie)
- Ryuutama
- Paranoia
- Microscope

But I'm a pusher for new systems myself while being admittedly less experienced in PbP itself than the vets, so take those with a grain of salt.

Playing: After the Quake, Tenmen, Sky Realm, Ultraviolet Grasslands
I've taken the Oath.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:38 AM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2524
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotsuSama View Post
- Fragged Empire (point of national pride for me, as a fellow Aussie)
I knew I was forgetting something in my list.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:39 PM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 43125
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynamoinen View Post
That's partly a question of proper game ad construction (another huge topic for the podcast!) and partly of the day-to-day operation of an ongoing game. I find that people are really reluctant to talk about this stuff, especially once a game starts. Many just bail rather than talk things out. It's also hard to simply find the right words to use to approach these issues. That can be a useful thing to talk about on the podcast.
I didn't see anyone seconding this angle, and I'd love to see you two go into it.

I thought I might raise the subject of Discord. Keeping in mind that our server isn't official RPGX content, maybe there's a discussion of tools that help games run better? Discord OOC questions in real-time, Roll20 or other online maps like http://battlemapper.org/ created by one of our own (who sadly hasn't had time to devote to it recently), things like that? Maybe even a simpler discussion of what goes into a game. We talk about play-by-post, but while some of us folks who have been around a while remember nothing-but-text theater of the mind PbP, nowadays there's images, maps, some DMs link to youtube mood music, etc. Just a thought!

Keep up the great work, you two, and thanks for doing this!
Old 04-25-2020, 06:33 PM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
Game ad construction is for sure on the list. The more stuff I get here the more I think our DM topic is too broad to be broken into four parts. But it sounds like our next recording session might do well to cover some DM stuff instead of the “So you made it into a game” stuff I was initially planning.

Tools was another idea I def wanted to cover, but it’s such a huge project and it isn’t exactly easy to break into groups and discuss in a way that doesn’t feel we are missing huge chunks...it’s going to be on the table, but gotta find a good presentation method. I know I want to do a site member spotlight either segment or just a month long, “yo look what this person did, and this person, and this person” but that comes after we canonize that we alone make explosive tunes in the 15 minutes between recordings. Of course.

And then KM wrote Dracula.

Last edited by Scimmy; 04-25-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:36 PM
Man・Earth・Sky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 55736
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Going to second pacing, and attach it to a larger topic: managing expectations. One of the biggest issues in RPGX is expectations not matching reality and not adjusting over time. A lot of people lose faith in the format over this. I can expand as needed elsewhere.

Other topics I would suggest include frontloading your work as a DM or player (building forums, ads, formats, etc.), group rapport (good and bad), how to beat group attrition.... loads more.

Loyal listener. I love what scimmy and ItsAVerb/Other Scimmy are doing.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:02 AM
fires and floods

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33980
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek
I think you need more attempts at pronouncing usernames
Old 04-29-2020, 02:33 AM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
If I had known my messing around would be such a hit I’d have done more of it!
Old 04-29-2020, 08:22 AM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Especially the ones like hugga's not intended for pronunciation.

PS - kingmonkey's got my name right.

Last edited by Aethera; 04-29-2020 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:56 PM
An Actual Goat

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14244
Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer
I'd like 2nd Sass' parts about expectations vs reality, and frontloading DM workloads. The more you can do before a game starts, the better off you'll be when life thumps you.

Also, dunno if this quite came up yet, but comparisons of series of systems might be a good idea. For example, the differences, pros and cons, of DND 2e, 3/3.5e, 4e, and 5e. Or PF1e vs 2e. Or Shadowrun... they've got Eees. You get the gist.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:08 AM
fires and floods

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33980
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethera View Post
Especially the ones like hugga's not intended for pronunciation.
Sure it is, you just gotta know how
Old 05-01-2020, 09:44 AM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
That thread, hugga... kudos to Amy for coming up with hugga in the first place. I recognized where it came from the first time I saw it, and it's so much easier than actually remembering your username (which I guess I know, at this point, hvg3akaek, but still).

EDIT: How to pronounce hvg3akaek: "the user fondly known as hugga instead of *coughsneeze*"

Last edited by Aethera; 05-01-2020 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:12 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37236
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvg3akaek View Post
Sure it is, you just gotta know how
Rather cool... And henceforth, you shalt be known to me as Huggycakes.