Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 04-29-2020, 08:55 AM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 43199
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
On the contrary. Rocks fell constantly because that's the only way he can get his rocks off.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:25 AM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 64450
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethera View Post
On the contrary. Rocks fell constantly because that's the only way he can get his rocks off.
Just remember, you started the puns....
Old 04-29-2020, 09:28 AM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
The stone cold truth is, in my dungeons, you should take nothing for granite. You should be petrified! The schist could hit the fan at any moment, I am not a gneiss guy behind the DM screen. It's my only fault, besides being a little wacke at times.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:31 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27757
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
New revenue idea, paying Dirk to stop this pun-ishment

I hope to see all my Shadowrunners there showing RPGX what they're made of!
Old 04-29-2020, 09:32 AM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2341
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
We really should've had a talc about this beforehand.

Playing: After the Quake, Tenmen, Sky Realm, Ultraviolet Grasslands, Pirate King's Legacy
I've taken the Oath.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:55 AM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
We really should get back on topic.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:33 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
You started it, Aethera... Have you lost your appetite for it?
Old 04-29-2020, 08:42 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2524
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Honestly, I'd be lying if I said I haven't had the opportunity to make some good money on other sites for being one of two DM's willing to run certain systems that others wont.

Have I considered it? Sure.
Have I done it? No, though that's not because of any fancy morals or ethics, it's mostly because then I'd have to legally register as self-employed.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:37 AM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
Have to chuckle... the fact that you won't break a law that most people probably would tells me that it IS because of your morals and ethics.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:52 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34271
mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound
Appreciate the puns, and perspective. Given time and energy, I think it could be fun to dabble in. Keep you posted.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:53 AM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
It's just a different set of morals, regarding not getting caught making money you're not reporting.

I get what you mean, though, Marsh. There's a sort of "I could, but..." line that you hit. For me it's the self-employed bit plus having to report to my subsidized housing that I'm making more money, which would increase my rent. A lot of ideas get to the point of wondering whether I should try them, and then realizing that they would never be worth the trouble in my real life.

Last edited by Aethera; 04-30-2020 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:03 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2524
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post
Have to chuckle... the fact that you won't break a law that most people probably would tells me that it IS because of your morals and ethics.
Honestly, it's more so because then I'd owe the government money if they ever found out and I'd have to file my own taxes and... Blah.
It's all a lot of hassle.

Last edited by Marshmallow; 04-30-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:10 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
Coriander Coriander
I avoid pay-to-play games altogether, though if I had the money to spare and was really itching for a specific setting/system/etc maybe I would consider it.

I do like the idea of virtual games having a donation option. Purchasing the necessary materials to DM can be very pricey and I think many players might be sympathetic to that and hopefully be willing to throw a few bucks in the DM's direction, so long as they can afford to.

I'm also curious what the standard is for paid games. What do the DMs requiring payment typically bring to the table that an unpaid DM might not? When I was unemployed I definitely thought about DMing for money, but I wasn't really confident that I was offering something worth paying for.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:30 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coriander View Post
I'm also curious what the standard is for paid games. What do the DMs requiring payment typically bring to the table that an unpaid DM might not? When I was unemployed I definitely thought about DMing for money, but I wasn't really confident that I was offering something worth paying for.
back in my days of thinking about such things, I feel the things I would pay for are

1) Constancy: being on time, being prepared, and having the game when you said you would are hallmarks of a professional GM. I pay money, I want you to be ready to start the game at 7, like you said... not 7:30, not tomorrow, not after dinner or you finish your chores, or not a "short game tonight cause I gotta pick up my sister at 9".

Basically, my time is valuable, so I would pay someone to make sure I don't waste my time.

2) Imagination, storytelling skills, etc.. I suffered through a lot of really bad DM's, because they were all we had. If I am paying, I would like someone who is at least good. I don't need super good, just read the descriptions, roll the dice, know the rules halfway well, and be able to make a sentence on your own...
Old 05-29-2020, 10:57 AM
Dim Henchmen of Pang!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12964
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk
and be able to make a sentence on your own...
This is why I no DM get money for.