Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 04-30-2020, 02:12 PM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 43199
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Grammar's Role in Play-by-Post (formerly Aethera's RAWR thread)

I see a lot of the forums between my game, games I play in, and the community threads. But I also see all sorts of things because I'm taken there for moderation purposes, and I've gotten rather sick of some of the grammar in posts around the site.

Now, before you argue, I'm not talking about people whose grasp of English may not be as complete as others. Those people I understand, and while I hope they might find some answers as to how to improve, they are speaking a foreign language. No, it's really the native English speakers who drive me nuts. The ones who "could of" done something sooner. The ones who assume that just because they "past" their English "class's" back in school, their grammar must be right. (That was painful, and I can't continue or I'll be sick.)

So now I give you my Aethera's Grammar Pet Peeves thread. It's sticked to the top of The Library forum, since that is the best location for writing discussion, but because I'd like to try and keep it to actual grammar Q&A, this thread will provide a place to discuss it. Ideas, comments, suggestions, critique... have at it.

EDIT: If anyone who speaks English as a foreign language has any suggestions or requests, I would love to be able to honor them, I just don't know what is needed most.

EDIT 2: For those thinking about their writing skills beyond what The Writer's Block or my pet peeves thread can help with, consider checking out the Writing Prompts and Critique area of the library. There are some how-to threads, some places to ask for critique, and the more people poking around in there means more discussion, which always helps everyone.

Last edited by Aethera; 05-03-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-30-2020, 02:30 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36632
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
A space after an ellipsis before a follow-up word doesn't look right to me. Also, how is a pirate emoji part of proper grammar?
Old 04-30-2020, 02:51 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37286
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
I'm a bit shocked you didn't put anything about what tense people are using. Seems like a common problem.

I know it is one of my biggest faults and was really annoying.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:13 PM
Dim Henchmen of Pang!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12964
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Changing tenses is something that always worries me when I'm writing up a post. I'm sure I screw it up frequently.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:17 PM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Punctuation will definitely be covered. Switching tenses is on the list, but more as a "don't do it" than anything else. I'm fairly certain everyone knows it's wrong, that's not the issue. Whether I can find a way to make your brains actually heed that is anyone's guess.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:38 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 795
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethera View Post
I see a lot of the forums between my game, games I play in, and the community threads. But I also see all sorts of things because I'm taken there for moderation purposes, and I've gotten rather sick of some of the grammar in posts around the site.

Ageist and sexist! And why does Granpar get a pass, eh? Poor Grammar, she should be allowed to post too!

He / Him. Playing: Letholdus, Halfling Tempest Cleric; Phoebus, Variant Human Ranger.
Running: The First Mask (Cthulhu Zero)
Old 04-30-2020, 03:43 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 795
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
Quote:
Punctuation will definitely be covered. Switching tenses is on the list, but more as a "don't do it" than anything else. I'm fairly certain everyone knows it's wrong, that's not the issue. Whether I can find a way to make your brains actually heed that is anyone's guess.
Sequence of tenses should probably be in there if you're going to suggest that, otherwise you'll have people trying to use the same tense in subordinate clauses, which is even more wrong.

That's without getting into passive periphrastics too.

He / Him. Playing: Letholdus, Halfling Tempest Cleric; Phoebus, Variant Human Ranger.
Running: The First Mask (Cthulhu Zero)
Old 04-30-2020, 05:41 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37286
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
“Subordinate clauses” is not the proper terminology. We call them Santa’s Helpers or ‘elves’ on this site.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:00 PM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2231
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Quote:
Originally Posted by zevonian View Post
A space after an ellipsis before a follow-up word doesn't look right to me. Also, how is a pirate emoji part of proper grammar?
Pretty sure that style is fairly common in US grammar? That's a style thing though, you can also have space before and after without it being 'wrong'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
I'm a bit shocked you didn't put anything about what tense people are using. Seems like a common problem.

What breaks me on this is switching from updating one game to another, and realising halfway through, "Crap, GM from the last post had us in past tense, but this one's in present tense and I starting writing in past ..." and I do the re-conjugate shuffle.

Playing: After the Quake, Tenmen, Sky Realm, Ultraviolet Grasslands, Pirate King's Legacy
I've taken the Oath.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:17 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2341
Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991
One that bugs me personally is not using semicolons when people need to nest lists in compound sentences. I know people generally consider them a bit pretentious, but I end up needing to spend more time figuring what is part of one clause or an entirely new one.

Although, this is where I also mention the malleability of language in the first place. Even my beloved semicolon is less than six hundred years old and I'm beginning to think there needs to be some new punctuation for the internet. Specifically the return of something like the rhetorical question mark.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:28 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 64450
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post

People are too tense already, no sense adding to it.

Wigwam! Teepee!
Old 04-30-2020, 06:35 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
“rawr”
The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.

Source- I checked Webster's dictionary.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:48 PM
The red pandas are coming

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19550
LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA
Quote:
Whether I can find a way to make your brains actually heed that is anyone's guess.
I don't have to guess, I can tell you right now that my brain won't listen. I sure do miss that guy...
Old 04-30-2020, 07:49 PM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
Sounds like I pretty much have everything everyone has mentioned, then. I'm not sure how fast I'll get these written, but I'll be working on them.

And zev, the pirate emoji is because I'd get kicked off site if I actually spoke my mind with no censorship. By comparison, "rawr" and are nothing.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:36 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
I don't think you would get banned for saying, "Aargh, shiver me timbers."