Grammar's Role in Play-by-Post (formerly Aethera's RAWR thread) - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 05-01-2020, 07:24 AM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 64450
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Dang it, now I have to ban Zev.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:30 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 795
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
Don't think of it as having to, think of it more as now having a good excuse to do so.

He / Him. Playing: Letholdus, Halfling Tempest Cleric; Phoebus, Variant Human Ranger.
Running: The First Mask (Cthulhu Zero)
Old 05-01-2020, 10:07 AM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 43199
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Not sure if anyone who has posted so far speaks English as a foreign language, but I'd love to hear from you specifically about what might be good for me to add either as instructions for EFL speakers, or as suggestions for native English folks to do or not do to avoid confusion.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:20 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25717
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
I use grammarly a lot, but i’m kind of stuck at my level of english proficiency.

I’m french native.

Last edited by MoonZar; 05-01-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:42 AM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Hey MoonZar, thanks for answering so fast! If you would be so kind as to keep this in the back of your head, I would greatly appreciate hearing about anything you come across that either confuses you or makes you remember having trouble with it in the past.

Having now posted my second grammar thread (albeit more publicly this time), I should probably consider freelancing as an editor. Would be a good way to make some extra money, though I haven't the foggiest idea where I would start.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:47 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Well you can read my game posts and see what i’m struggling with. I don’t know what are my common mistakes.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:02 AM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
I can do that! But I actually meant what you see in other people's writing that can be confusing. I think there are a lot of slang expressions which can be confusing, but I would like to believe our members don't use slang too much while writing.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:34 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1590
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
I've always believed that grammar is not intended to be a set of rules that are obeyed 'just because'. It's supposed to have a practical purpose. For me, that practical purpose is to ensure that I accurately convey what I meant to convey.

Beyond that, I'm not too fussed. If people make spelling mistakes, or their grammar is a bit wonky, but I understand their meaning, then I'm not particularly worried. Indeed, points of variance from standard grammar often contribute to a writer's particular style.

Last edited by Telcontar; 05-01-2020 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:14 PM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
telcontar, that's not my point at all. My point is these errors actually convey something other than the intended meaning. If I have to stop and spend time working out what the poster meant when they used an apostrophe incorrectly, I've already lost the flow of the post.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, I'll try to keep it in mind for places where common sense might overrule "official" English grammar.

Last edited by Aethera; 05-02-2020 at 09:22 AM. Reason: I was sharp in my response, I'm sorry.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:55 PM
An Actual Goat

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14258
Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethera View Post
You are entitled to your opinion, anyway. This is mine.
Oh, snap.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:30 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 64450
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Not sure if anyone who has posted so far speaks English as a foreign language, but I'd love to hear from you specifically about what might be good for me to add either as instructions for EFL speakers, or as suggestions for native English folks to do or not do to avoid confusion.
In the most technical of senses, English is my second language, I learned another before I spoke English. It is, however, the first language I learned to WRITE in... so I don't think I can be of help, there.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:40 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36682
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post
Dang it, now I have to ban Zev.

And here I thought encouraging Birched to name you as a moderator was a good idea. I could have suggested... someone else.

Meanwhile, in ellipsis news, my phone auto-added a space after the dot dot dot I used in the previous sentence. Just snuck it in there like a .
Old 05-02-2020, 08:24 AM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
Sorry, zev, your phone is actually correct there.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:27 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
I can do that! But I actually meant what you see in other people's writing that can be confusing. I think there are a lot of slang expressions which can be confusing, but I would like to believe our members don't use slang too much while writing.
I don't have issues reading, English is pretty straightforward to read if I compare with French or Japanese.

Last edited by MoonZar; 05-02-2020 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:41 AM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20830
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Everything I ever needed to learn about English grammar I learned in German class.

I'm a native English speaker and I learned more about parts of speech and tenses learning German than I ever did in English class.
HAPPY PRIDE!