Grammar's Role in Play-by-Post (formerly Aethera's RAWR thread) - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 05-02-2020, 08:53 AM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 43125
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodine View Post
Everything I ever needed to learn about English grammar I learned in German class.

I'm a native English speaker and I learned more about parts of speech and tenses learning German than I ever did in English class.
Same here! Except it was Latin, because my school system was boring and offered French, Spanish, and Latin in middle school, and only offered more interesting languages in high school (Italian and German) until those programs were too small and they cut them.

I kid you not, Russian grammar was probably the best way to learn grammar for any and all languages. I can't speak it anymore, been far too long for more than a couple niceties like please and thank you, but I can still recall some of the grammar I tutored other students in, and it makes it so much easier to understand English grammar, as well as the ways that grammar norms don't translate. I think I got better at explaining English grammar that year when I got into explaining some expressions to the visiting Russian professor, and it became sort of a back and forth of odd turns of phrase in both languages. It was fascinating.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:13 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 783
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodine View Post
Everything I ever needed to learn about English grammar I learned in German class.

I'm a native English speaker and I learned more about parts of speech and tenses learning German than I ever did in English class.
Same here, but with Latin.

He / Him. Playing: Letholdus, Halfling Tempest Cleric; Phoebus, Variant Human Ranger.
Running: The First Mask (Cthulhu Zero)
Old 05-02-2020, 09:26 AM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethera View Post
You are entitled to your opinion, anyway. This is mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalla Wanderer View Post
Oh, snap.
I'm sorry for that. Yesterday was not one of my better days. I apologize, telcontar, for the sharp way I reacted, and appreciate it being brought to my attention. It does me no good if I undo my efforts to help (on any subject) by letting my irritation at unrelated things influence how I post. I have edited my post accordingly, and I'm sorry I didn't catch that myself.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:50 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36542
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Quote:
Sorry, zev, your phone is actually correct there.

Well then you need to consider the kittehs in your title, for my phone says it should be kittens. Either way, tis a good title.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:59 PM
Nargle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32048
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
Quote:
Not sure if anyone who has posted so far speaks English as a foreign language, but I'd love to hear from you specifically about what might be good for me to add either as instructions for EFL speakers, or as suggestions for native English folks to do or not do to avoid confusion.
Probably the most common issue I notice from people who use English as a second language is improper use of the articles 'a/an' and 'the'.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:04 PM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
Whoa, Ytterbium took my pet peeves thread up to the next level! And having now had a professional editor chime in, I can easily use his detailed examples without having to check everything thrice.

Will note articles, ekidnu, thanks!
Old 05-06-2020, 05:18 PM
Lanthanide

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30246
Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium
Posting this here in the interest of keeping the Grammar Corner from turning into a meme dump:

Old 05-06-2020, 05:47 PM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytterbium View Post
Posting this here in the interest of keeping the Grammar Corner from turning into a meme dump:
Thank you for that consideration.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:00 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14255
ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonZar View Post
I use grammarly a lot, but iím kind of stuck at my level of english proficiency.

Iím french native.
I almost suggested Moonz, because I'd identified some quirks that indicated non-native English. But I feel the same way about Savoylen sometimes and I'm pretty sure his is just a case of numerous typoes due to speed posting so much material. I do know that DressedToJazz is Danish. He did some interpretation for me between a troll and my MC in Valhalla AWOL.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:04 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna
Quote:
I can do that! But I actually meant what you see in other people's writing that can be confusing. I think there are a lot of slang expressions which can be confusing, but I would like to believe our members don't use slang too much while writing.
Oh dear. I use slang, ghetto, colorful colloquailisms, and cowboy jargon as well as the occasional patois. Normally it is only in dialogue though! So maybe I won't be punished, shamed, ostracised or executed.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:18 PM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogamodyna View Post
Oh dear. I use slang, ghetto, colorful colloquailisms, and cowboy jargon as well as the occasional patois. Normally it is only in dialogue though! So maybe I won't be punished, shamed, ostracised or executed.
No, most of the time I don't really think about dialogue the same way, though if I can't read it without slowing down to think about every word, believe me you're getting eyerolls from here to Mars and back. There's a lot to be said for "His accent made the words sound a bit different on his tongue" rather than an attempt to detail an accent that makes it hard to read, but that's obviously my personal opinion.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:25 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
No, most of the time I don't really think about dialogue the same way, though if I can't read it without slowing down to think about every word, believe me you're getting eyerolls from here to Mars and back. There's a lot to be said for "His accent made the words sound a bit different on his tongue" rather than an attempt to detail an accent that makes it hard to read, but that's obviously my personal opinion.
Aww shucks ma'am, y'all sound rougher'n corn cob toilet paper. Us poor unschoolt rustic Texans just got to do the best we all can. 'leastways Grammar switched our hides til we learnt better'n usin' none of them PROfanities.

Last edited by ogamodyna; 05-06-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:31 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 783
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
I should start posting in Yorkshire dialect, sithee.

He / Him. Playing: Letholdus, Halfling Tempest Cleric; Phoebus, Variant Human Ranger.
Running: The First Mask (Cthulhu Zero)
Old 05-06-2020, 09:00 PM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming23 View Post
Yeah, if you want to get booed out of games...
Old 05-07-2020, 04:16 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10945
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming23 View Post
As long as you're consistent, I'd love to see more use of heavy accent (especially if the writers put the plain, common English translation in tooltip tags).