Notices

Old 07-15-2017, 02:49 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 106
StarSignMaster StarSignMaster
Chances of finding a Genie Lamp

I'm DMing for my friend, and I want to let him come across a genie.

So I'm wondering, what would be the chance of finding a genie lamp, or any other object that has a genie bound upon it? The Monster Manual only says "A few", but what exactly does that mean?
Old 07-15-2017, 10:12 AM
DnD Grognard. Look it up.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 52865
dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth
I am moving this thread to the game rules/advice section... this is actually the place for IRL question about the site itself, etc..

But, to answer your question as I do that...

The Bible says that a few is 8. Most people consider a few to be less than that (usually, 3 to 5).

In a practical sense, if there are 5 items hidden across an entire world, your chances of stumbling across one of them is practically zero. Imagine if you placed 5 large books randomly across the entire earth. Your chances of stumbling upon one? Unlikely to happen. To reduce the chances even further, what if you HID the books... You can increase those chances if you spent your life on a book hunt, of course, and you might find one, perhaps.

In a gaming context, however, we come here to escape real life, and the dreary bounds of reality (and probability). In gaming, if there's one special item in the world, it WILL be found in the next village/town/castle/dungeon.

Basically, it's up to you. Do you want your friend to find a lamp? Then give him clues, and let him find it. If you don't, then let him know they don't exist in the world you share, or that he isn't going to find one.