RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > Gaming Advice > DM Screen > DM mentoring
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 03-21-2018, 12:51 PM
Blaaargh!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6479
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Last question before I pull the trigger

I really appreciate all the feedback I have been given so far but I have one more question! Is it better to hide DM rolls or keep them in the open? I think hiding them might be better as it maintains the immersive experience. Thoughts?
Old 03-21-2018, 03:22 PM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6143
jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven
its a personal choice, both sides are valid.

Hide rolls
You can adjust rolls needed - don't want to autokills certain players.
You can adjust the modifiers if the encounter is too strong/weak.
You can use 'power of plot'...if something needs to happen, it will.

Show rolls
Proves to players that you aren't adjusting your rolls.

-me
Old 03-21-2018, 06:10 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 55617
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
I agree with JJ, excellent points...

here's another way to think of it

Hide rolls: DM does all the work of knowing AC, magic items, damage reductions, etc.

Open rolls: DM puts the burden and accounting more on the players to figure out if they were hit, struck, damaged, etc..
Old 03-22-2018, 04:02 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 81
StCuthbert
Open rolls also confirm both DM and player agency to a degree (i.e.,anything can happen rather than the GM controlling the narrative).
Old 05-12-2018, 05:08 PM
Natural 20 ;)

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3361
Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master
Every DM makes mistakes, regularly. If you hide your rolls, many of these mistakes go unnoticed, which is bad, in my opinion.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:26 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 459
Karver Karver Karver Karver Karver
Not to resurrect a thread..., but this is why I love the Powered by the Apocalypse games so much. The GM never rolls. The players roll 2d6+STAT; on a 10+, they succeed. Period. On a 7-9, they succeed but with a cost or complication that is often chosen by the player. And on a 6 or less, bad stuff.

There are variations called hacks that change some elements of the game, but it’s fundamentally that easy. All of the things a character can do are just specific variations of one move: Act Under Fire also known as Defy Danger.

Want to run through the storm of arrows dropping on you like flies, cool, roll+DEX.

I like this style of GM-less rolling because it puts all of the risk and reward in the players hands.

Otherwise, I prefer to know that the GM is playing on equal ground and show their rolls. Although as a GM I hate showing mine because I care more about the role playing and hate it when unwanted things happen by chance on my side of the screen.

Last edited by Karver; 05-16-2018 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:37 PM
Blaaargh!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6479
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Thanks for the tip: I will check out the apocalypse game just to get an quick rundown of the mechanics. The game I am now running is doing pretty good. I provide the hp and save data and they do pretty much everything. I do not provide the hp for bosses. I just use color coded question marks. So far so good.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:06 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 484
dhibidy dhibidy dhibidy dhibidy dhibidy
I personally let the players see my rolls as a DM but I don't label them so it leaves them wondering what Im rolling for.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:35 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 389
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Generally, I find it depends on what you're rolling for - when it comes to things such as number of resources collected, enemy attack (or in MY: Zero's case) deadly criticals, sometimes things can be more interesting for the plot if a character is badly injured rather than straight-up killed, so what's a little tweaking here and there?

I don't see any issue with hiding your roll, but there are some things as a DM I just feel it's right to show certain rolls, depending on what system you're running.